Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why is the UK/British Empire always pink on maps?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why is the UK/British Empire always pink on maps?
    Posted: 10-Jul-2007 at 19:08
I can understand the Netherlands being orange and France being blue, and I can also see why Italy would be green, but why is the UK always depicted in pink?
HEROI View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote HEROI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2007 at 19:26
perhaps something to dowith its large gay population?Ermm
Me pune,me perpjekje.
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2007 at 19:58
Pink is supposed to be the colour of the Tudor rose of the English monarchy. Goes back to the War of the Roses, Henry Tudor reunited the houses of York, symbolized by the white rose, and Lancaster, symbolized by the red rose. The new House of Tudor was symbolized by the combination of the two, a pink rose. The Tudor Dynasty and the Tudor Rose came to be strongly identified with "Englishness" (I suppose it probably had something to do with the last of the Tudors, Elizabeth I, being succeeded by a Scot, James I)
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2007 at 04:17
Originally posted by HEROI

Please refrain from such stupid remarks in the future. Thank you.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2007 at 04:36
Originally posted by edgewaters

Pink is supposed to be the colour of the Tudor rose of the English monarchy. Goes back to the War of the Roses, Henry Tudor reunited the houses of York, symbolized by the white rose, and Lancaster, symbolized by the red rose. The new House of Tudor was symbolized by the combination of the two, a pink rose. The Tudor Dynasty and the Tudor Rose came to be strongly identified with "Englishness" (I suppose it probably had something to do with the last of the Tudors, Elizabeth I, being succeeded by a Scot, James I)

Very good answer Edgewaters! I would further suppose for printing purposes. Red as the chosen color is a difficult background color to read from, so pink which is easier on the eye, is used. The British also became famed for using red coats in their army. Perhaps that goes back to the War of the Roses?
elenos
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2007 at 05:31
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

And please refrain to beating me to making remarks like this.
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2007 at 08:50

Please refrain from having absolutely no sense of humour in the future. Thank you.
HEROI View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote HEROI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2007 at 09:01
Originally posted by Parnell

Please refrain from having absolutely no sense of humour in the future. Thank you.

I apologise if someone took ofense.

Having absolutely no sense of humour does not mean i can not try,different people,different tastes mateWink   If you took ofense then like i said above i apologise,no ofense was meant.
Me pune,me perpjekje.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2007 at 09:07
Parnell actually was defending you HEROI, he was referring to the mods not having a sense of humour.
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2007 at 09:27
I do not see how that comment is funny in any but the most pathetic sense. In my opinion cheap shots are never funny. If you cannot be bothered to come up with a real funny joke, don't bother typing the thrash down.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
HEROI View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote HEROI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2007 at 09:54
Aelgifu,i find your language somehow insulting,is there a problem?i did apologise in case anybody,or you yourself for that matter took ofence,you have the right to delete it,and end this matter,which is itself being exagerated in importance by your comments.I would now sugest you end this and write something about the topic instead of using words such as PATHETIC,CHEAP SHOT AND THRASH,which dont sound good in the vocabulary of well-mannered gentelman,which i dont doubt you are.
Me pune,me perpjekje.
HEROI View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote HEROI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2007 at 09:56
Originally posted by Dolphin

Parnell actually was defending you HEROI, he was referring to the mods not having a sense of humour.

I might have misunderstood Parnnel there.Embarrassedsorry
Me pune,me perpjekje.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2007 at 10:00

I think your joke was ok, a bit trollish but definitely not intented to insult. I can see why it was pulled up on though.

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2007 at 10:20

Aelgifu,i find your language somehow insulting,is there a problem?i did apologise in case anybody,or you yourself for that matter took ofence,you have the right to delete it,and end this matter,which is itself being exagerated in importance by your comments.I would now sugest you end this and write something about the topic instead of using words such as PATHETIC,CHEAP SHOT AND THRASH,which dont sound good in the vocabulary of well-mannered gentelman,which i dont doubt you are.

It was a cheap shot at making fun of others, and a pathetic joke. What is your problem with me calling it that? Dont want comments? Don't post such things. Simple.

And I am not a well-mannered gentleman. Neither the one nor the other. LOL

HEROI View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote HEROI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2007 at 10:22
I find that you hold yourself in very low estem i wont bother reply to you anymore , in fact i  was not aware before.
Me pune,me perpjekje.
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2007 at 10:24

I do not see how that comment is funny in any but the most pathetic sense. In my opinion cheap shots are never funny. If you cannot be bothered to come up with a real funny joke, don't bother typing the thrash down.

Ah come one... Cheap shots make the world go round. I very much doubt a homosexual would have taken offence to such a little jibe - and if he or she did, I'm sorry.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2007 at 10:25

And I am not a well-mannered gentleman. Neither the one nor the other. LOL

Case closed LOL
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jul-2007 at 11:37

I find that you hold yourself in very low estem i wont bother reply to you anymore , in fact i  was not aware before.

How do I place myself in low self-esteem? I am not a gent, I am a miss. And I am not at all a nice well behaved miss, I'm a nasty dirty one. The truth shall make ya free. Wink

Ah come one... Cheap shots make the world go round. I very much doubt a homosexual would have taken offence to such a little jibe
Probably not. Hardly an excuse to make fun of the British. Wink

- and if he or she did, I'm sorry.

Ok then. Big%20smile

Edited by Aelfgifu - 11-Jul-2007 at 11:41

TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2007 at 04:45

Ah come one... Cheap shots make the world go round. I very much doubt a homosexual would have taken offence to such a little jibe
Probably not. Hardly an excuse to make fun of the British. Wink

Every nation is entitled to be a part of jokesWink
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2007 at 07:13
OK, guys. Next joke like that and the author will get a pink card!
elenos
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>