Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Xolotl

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yaomitl View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Yaomitl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Xolotl
    Posted: 10-Jul-2007 at 10:24
I've been trying to find something else out (though Centeotl's mum is still ongoing) - there's three significant Nahua legends concerning a God visiting the underworld to collect the bones of the previous race of humanity in order to make the new (and current) one. In Leyenda de los Soles it's Quetzalcoatl (mentions a nagual but not Xolotl). In Mendieta's Historia Eclesiastica Indiana it's Xolotl alone (not a feathered serpent in sight), and in this other version it's Quetzalcoatl (again) who (I think) makes Xolotl whilst in the underworld (from mud and clay possibly) in order to aid his escape. I've a strong feeling that this version is in Histoyre du Mechique but try as I might I can't find the crucial sentence of confirmation in either my library or on the internet. Anyone able to confirm this, or even recall this version of the story - I'm not even sure where I first saw it now. Maybe I was dreaming.

Edited by Yaomitl - 10-Jul-2007 at 10:26
"For as long as the world shall endure, the honour and the glory of Mexico-Tenochtitlan must never be forgotten."
- Chimalpahin Quautlehuanitzin
<a href="http://www.theotherconquest.com
Yaomitl View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Yaomitl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2007 at 09:12
Panic's off. Joined the British Library yesterday and spent a few hours on their copy of Histoyre du Mechique, which was interesting seeing as my Spanish isn't exactly what you'd call outstanding. Still I've ruled out both that and Historia de los Mexicanos por sus pinturas as the source of said variant of the tale. Maybe it's in Sahagun?
Wow. The British Library is great - and now I get access to all those JSTOR articles. Woo hoo.
"For as long as the world shall endure, the honour and the glory of Mexico-Tenochtitlan must never be forgotten."
- Chimalpahin Quautlehuanitzin
<a href="http://www.theotherconquest.com
 Post Reply Post Reply