Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Imperial Iranian Armed Forces

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Imperial Iranian Armed Forces
    Posted: 03-Jul-2007 at 14:26
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2007 at 15:20

Lot of this seems to be a CENTO exersize. I think I'll show it to my uncle, he was posted at CENTO HQ for 3 or 4 years.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2007 at 15:36
There is a section showing operations in Oman, my uncle was airborne and my dad was ordnance, they were both in Oman fighting a communist insurgency.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2007 at 17:33
I'm confused. Are they actually called the Imperial Iranian Armed Forces? they're not even an empire...
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2007 at 06:11

Well, the Shah was the Emperor, so that's why Iranian Armed Forces. Iran's impressive military build up in the  70's ,brought it to , what was on paper, the 5 or 6th place of biggest and strongest military forces in the globe.But, the same program was one of the main reasons for the economical crisis in 1972-77 period, which created even more tensions, thus resulting to the Iranian Revolution. Iran's economy couldn't, simply, support the immense military build up and ,at the same time, the development programs in the interior. Also, it must be noted that the Imperial Army was the only note-worthy ally and stylobate of the Shah. When it collapsed, in December 1978, it was over.

Edited by Spartakus - 05-Jul-2007 at 06:12
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Suren View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Chieftain

Quote Suren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2007 at 07:24
May we see the glory of those days again.

Great clips Zagros.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2007 at 15:46
I don't know what you mean about glory bro, but I certainly am 100% against imperialistic chauvinist regimes such as that of the Shah, my only affection is for the army because so many of my family served and served apolitically.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 02:23

Iran has/d Airbourne? Are you sure you don't mean paratroopers? A bit of a difference.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 13:37

certainly did/does, my uncle was a colonel in the 55th airbourne brigade, based in shiraz.

Edited by Zagros - 14-Aug-2007 at 13:38
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2007 at 13:57

Thanks for the reference.

Incidentally, Airbourne means conducting ops with supplies and delivery from the air alone. A para trooper is someone who jumps from a plane. Air Bourne is a lot more extensive than paratrooper.

I ask this question, since under the CENTO agreement any Sov move to the Iran border would activate the pact. Pakistan was committed to airlifting 2 divisions to Iran. This was our reposnibility since US had (then) no bases in the region and Iran lacked strategic airlift. The latter is vital for airbourne ops.
 Post Reply Post Reply