Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is this Medieval?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
zeno View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote zeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is this Medieval?
    Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 12:36
i've missed all this due to my own limits

is this ancient history (alexander etc) or medieval...?
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2007 at 23:23
What is the question Zeno? Alexander (for instance) is ancient world history. Arguably the period of time known as Medieval started at the fall of the Roman Empire and continued on until the time of the Renaissance. To further complicate matter both are commonly called the Middle Ages
elenos
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2007 at 04:14

Ancient history is any time from Proto-history (c. 3000BC) to the fall of the Western Roman empire (476 AD).

Medieval history is characterised as the period between the loss of Roman art, architecture, culture and technology (around 500 AD) until it is regained in the 1500's Renaissance). It's divided into three major sections

>early middle ages (this is characterised by the last of the great invasions by the Goths and others and the begining of an individual, unified state for most modern european countries, not to mention the development of Islam as a world religion. The basis for traditional legendary European culture is created by the invasions of the Franks, Angles, Normans and Saxons, and the Islamic attack into Frace and Spain (the Indrikids and the Saracens at Tours, for example) first begin.)

>middle middle ages (this is characterised by a vast fall in the population, due to the black death and other such issues and the development of what me would consider to be traditional middle ages warfare and states. This period also shows the destruction of many of Rome's lingering provinces - the Gothic Roman emperors such as Odacer had been deposed and the last remnants of Roman culture more or less gone, the Byzantines were defeated in 1071 at Mazikurt by the Seljuqs under Alpaslan and more or less crumbled from then and the final schism between the eastern and western churches occured in 1054 )

>the high middle ages (this is the traditional middle ages, where chivalry and many of the other stereotypes we assosiate with the period as a whole were developed. It is in this period that many of the great battles of the era occured - Poiters, Agincore, Crecy, etc.)

...It's still in dispute of course, when the divide between the middle ages and ancient history actually is, but more people use 476 AD as a perfectly reasonable starting point.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2007 at 04:20
Zeno, if you are referring to whether this forum discusses ancient history or medieval history (probably not, but just in case) - all history from the dawn of time till present, and every subcategory is discussed here at AE.
If none of these answer your query, could you reword it?
- Knights -
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2007 at 05:01
I generally agree with your dates, Astor. Generally speaking when Rome fell the history of Europe began, country by country. The Dark Ages also began, for warlords and upcoming nations began to battle  each other until the problem of who was in power was solved by instituting a system of kings and definite boundaries were drawn. 
elenos
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2007 at 05:49
I swear, if I hear someone use the term Dark Age one more time, I'm gonna scream. This is the 21st century chaps! We no longer are victorian age stiffs with no imagination and nationalistic tendencies! That period is called Late Antiquity and Early Middle Ages, or even The Migration Age, and we know quite a bit about the fascinating and florishing civilisations and their intricate culture who inhabited Europe at the time.

Edited by Aelfgifu - 01-Aug-2007 at 05:49

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2007 at 06:08
Please don't scream Aelfgifu, I'm sorry! So people were mgrating all over the place and the story is whether they got where they intended to go and whether they were stopped and went elsewhere.
elenos
Eondt View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Eondt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2007 at 08:12
Originally posted by Aster Thrax Eupator

>middle middle ages (this is characterised by a vast fall in the population, due to the black death and other such issues and the development of what me would consider to be traditional middle ages warfare and states. This period also shows the destruction of many of Rome's lingering provinces - the Gothic Roman emperors such as Odacer had been deposed and the last remnants of Roman culture more or less gone, the Byzantines were defeated in 1071 at Mazikurt by the Seljuqs under Alpaslan and more or less crumbled from then and the final schism between the eastern and western churches occured in 1054 )

Actually it's the 14th century when Europe experienced its fall in population as a result of the black death, so high middle-ages by your definition.
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2007 at 12:12
Actually it's the 14th century when Europe experienced its fall in population as a result of the black death, so high middle-ages by your definition.

Oh, okay - sorry. As you guys probably know (I reckon Elenos anyway...) it's mainly ancient history that's my forte...

I find the most facinating period of the middle ages the early antiquity periods in Northern europe - after ancient history, my interest moves north to western Europe in Saxon and Carloingian times. I also find the Abbasids (not enough to make an article- my one on the Abbasids failed dismally!) and, Ummayads Indrikids interesting, though! However, I've completely gone off the Byzantines- my Grandfather and I have both read Gibbon - and we both stopped at Justinian - we just weren't interested.
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2007 at 00:23
The Middle Ages is confusing Aster. Even bishops had private armies in the cities.  
elenos
Ovidius View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Ovidius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Aug-2007 at 01:48
rather eurocentric way to define medieval! Smile

I swear, if I hear someone use the term Dark Age one more time, I'm gonna scream. This is the 21st century chaps! We no longer are victorian age stiffs with no imagination and nationalistic tendencies! That period is called Late Antiquity and Early Middle Ages, or even The Migration Age, and we know quite a bit about the fascinating and florishing civilisations and their intricate culture who inhabited Europe at the time.

I rather like Dark Age, simply because Early middle ages and "the Migration age" just sound stupid. Why do we have to attempt to make periodisation of history more or less accurate.

So get screaming..

Edited by Ovidius - 02-Aug-2007 at 01:50
 Post Reply Post Reply