Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

War In Afghannistan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Laelius View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Laelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: War In Afghannistan
    Posted: 16-Jul-2007 at 10:55
Low intensity warfare suits the mujaheddin not the US.

Not quite, the US can maintain the sort of military operations it has going on in Afghanistan indefinitely
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jul-2007 at 12:17

Yes, one brigade is not that much.

nuvolari View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote nuvolari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2007 at 13:00
Originally posted by Sparten

Yes, one brigade is not that much.

It depends what army that brigade is from, amigo !
nuvolari View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote nuvolari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2007 at 13:03
Originally posted by Laelius

Low intensity warfare suits the mujaheddin not the US.

Not quite, the US can maintain the sort of military operations it has going on in Afghanistan indefinitely

Hmmmmm !  So you think so ?   Is the US Military banning news reporters from airports when the body bags are flown in, then ?  That was a large part of what determined jsut how the Vietnam war ended, my friend !
More's the pity !
Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2007 at 15:05
Originally posted by Sarmat12

Soviet army could stay there for 2 more centuries, should they willing to. It had more than enough resources for that. That war simply lost all its appeal to the USSR after perestroika had started and the cold war had ended.

Well dear,
First of all, I would like to tell you that it not only was a policy defeat to the Russian but also a military defeat, as we all know that in order to supress a guerilla warfare one has to spend much money along with a long term planning in placed and presence of military for a long time (at least 15-20 years).

And while Russia was having financial crisis within his own country, the demand for independence rose up in different states of it.

In these situations they had nothing else but to either leave the job unfinished and run or to fight.

Fight they chose due to which as others mentioned 5-6 million of Afghan populations (3 million to Pakistan, 1.8 to Iran, 0.2-1.5 to Rest of the world) migrated from the country and the ones who where left had no choice but to die or fight and they too chose fight.

Now the ending conclusion was, as Russians had suffered just in country skirts before, now they were put on fire from every section of the country.

The fights in South was mainlly led by Gen. Gul Agha's fighters, West was under the command of Gen. Ismail Khan's fighters, North under Commander Ahmad Shah Masood's and Gen. Dustom's fighters (who switched from communist party to freedom fighters), and East was under Gulbudeen Hekmatyar's fighters.

I am sure if you search for any of those names you will get to know alot more about the war, but any way now with the resistance and ambushes from every side, Russians suffered a huge personal lost while the supplies from Mascow also shortened as the financial and domestic crisis got its peak, due to these reasons they had nothing also but to escape the country that's when the then government of Dr. Najib intervaned and asked for a ceasefire in return for exit of Russia from the country which was then accepted and resulted in a defeat of Russian might against the guerilla warfare of Afghans.

Now the same conditions has just began again and what we are seeing is just a revise of our shortly passed history, the same guerilla warfare and the same losses of Foriegn soldiers.

If you look back to the history you will find that most of the time Afghans have fought an invasion they have lost more fighters but still they fight and mostly win a Pyrrhic Victory over enemy.

But everytime a fighter is killed two more gets motivated to defend the country that's why the numbers of insurgents always keeps going high and high.

And as far as the usage of the Chemicals is concerned surely Russia did use alot of it and the same is being done by America in their campaign over Afghanistan.
For Russian usage click here to get the prove.

Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2007 at 15:17
Originally posted by CHAUDRY

Bottom-line:

Relations have never been good, due to an old enmity, starting from day #1 Pakistan came into existence=>

Territorial claims, afghanistan has on Pakistan

Pakistan ended up incorporating chunk of ex-afghan land into the newborn, "pakistan".

For pakistan this piece of land (and the people who come with it) has always been een integral part of the country:

Pakistan (acronym)=> p-for punjab  a-for afghan k-kashmir s-for sindh.

U can think of pakistan as an multi-ethnic union, consisting of people with different ethnic backgrounds (like punjabi's and afghani's (pakhtun)

Without the 'a', Pakistan would never have been "pakistan".

Kabul has never been able to digest this fact.

(i am not saying rightly so, or wrongly so)

Perfectly answered ! You are absolutely right about the cause of the hate that Afghans has for Pakistanis.
Though as dear Laelius mentioned in his own post that ethnic Tajiks and Uzbaks do have that hate but the Pashtuns and Balochs has never tought it a separete country but of our own.

I is the same cause as is going on between India and Pakistan over Kashmir while it belongs to India, and Islamabad has never been able to digest this fact.

CHAUDRY View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote CHAUDRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2007 at 18:47

Oh please, no need to get all excited, i just answered to some one's quest for an answer. An answer u and i know, but many people may not.

I don't agree entirely what Laelius said either, about the Pashtun:  they (not all) may don't want to recognize Pakistan.

It doesn't mean that they actually don't.

Btw, u don't have the right to judge wether kashmir belongs to India or not. Kashmiris do, not some afghan.

Edited by CHAUDRY - 24-Jul-2007 at 18:48
no comment
Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2007 at 13:15
Your are right CHAUDRY I don't have the right but I do have the right for my speech and my point of view. I don't say that what I say or you say or anyone else says is completely right but everyone has the right to say and express his/her expression, if you don't like it you also have the right to urgue.
And you are right I also didn't say that Pashtuns and Balochs(not all) do recognize Pakistan, but they don't differ between Afghanistan and Pakistan, they think it of both countries a single place where people live, if you are not getting what I am saying you may move to the border and see how easy is it to move from Afghanistan to Pakistan and vice versa it's the same as moving to Rawalpindi from Islamabad, I mean tell me how many countries are there in the world which has this kind of a regulation (leaving the Unions like EU, UAE and others a side, I mean Independent domains).

CHAUDRY View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote CHAUDRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2007 at 05:38
Originally posted by Gharanai

Your are right CHAUDRY I don't have the right but I do have the right for my speech and my point of view. I don't say that what I say or you say or anyone else says is completely right but everyone has the right to say and express his/her expression, if you don't like it you also have the right to urgue.
And you are right I also didn't say that Pashtuns and Balochs(not all) do recognize Pakistan, but they don't differ between Afghanistan and Pakistan, they think it of both countries a single place where people live, if you are not getting what I am saying you may move to the border and see how easy is it to move from Afghanistan to Pakistan and vice versa it's the same as moving to Rawalpindi from Islamabad, I mean tell me how many countries are there in the world which has this kind of a regulation (leaving the Unions like EU, UAE and others a side, I mean Independent domains).

Everyone on this forum has the right for his speech, as do i, and as u pointed out, to argue for his/her view, and that is all i did. I think, perhaps, it's rather waste of time to notify eachother of these facts.

Anyhow, i agree there is a rather, in a way, an interesting situation on the borderlands. But i can assure u it's not the custom of whole of baluchi population, or the entire pakhtun population of pakistan, for crossing into afghanistan routinely. It is on the borderlands, where there are still significant family ties, and offcourse we have the traders. I do think certain elements misuse the situation (of easy passage), and the pakistani government has made clear there are going to be more restrictions.

The vast majority baluch and pakhtun population on the pakistani side, considers pakistan as their country, and they profoundly recognise it as well.

On the afghan side, whole another issue. I personally think, the people of afghanistan have been indoctrinated, sadly, because as i've pointed out earlier, the cause of enmity between pakistan and afghanistan, into considering pakistan not even in legal "existence". Well, it were the forefathers, who chose to form this new country, and it will the pakistanis who will decide forthemselves, explicitly the pakhtun, which way to head.

I don't think u can force 70% of total world pakhtun/pashtun population into some kind of coerced  colonisation, for more than 60 years now.

Wouldn't these people allready have had waged some dozens of independence wars, especially with support from Kabul for all this time, and allready gained independence?

THey did so, against the superpower (Russia), in less than a decade? didn't they? And to ll the other powers the afghans defeated in their history, u guys boast off.

Tell me how come, they didn't do so against the pakistani state, which holds 70% of pakhtun population "captive" (afghan interpret).

Wild guess: they consider themselves  pakistanis, and don't want to join afghanistan/kabul?

=> They do, thoroughly, recognise pakistan, and take part actively in the pakistani society (politics, army, commerce)

Imo, large proportion of afghanistan pashtun does aswell. Only the highly educated, established Pashtun, who have alligned themselves with tajiks and other fars-zabaan, don't.

In the country where i live now, i have met, and i know, a lot of afghanis.  There is a big hazara representation here, also a lot of tajiks, and the smallest proportion would be that of pashtuns.

About the pashtuns: the very rare educated ones (in india), as u can predict, will hold a negative opinion against pakistan in any way.

But the pashtun, son of soils, from say: jalalabad, don't quite hold such views (characteristic "kabuli/tajik view"). They consider pakistan as their second homeland, fully recognise nd prise it for it's roll of helping the afghans in it's most difficult times.

The hazaras u can split into 2 or even 3: heavily pro pakistan, the quetta-hazaras. Hazaras who fled afghanistan, most recently even don't have the "exagerated" view, imo, their countrymen tajiks hold. They are much more mild against pakistan, praise it for it's role (giving the hazara's asylum). Maybe because hazara's have old feud not with pashtun's only but also all the other groups in afghanistan, hazara's feel discriminated by all.

Bottom line, IMO, the afghan official "view" of pakistan doesn't hold that much ground.

p.s. And i am very much surprised, president musharraf hasn't kicked out complete karzai family out of quetta yet!

no comment
Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2007 at 09:22
Originally posted by CHAUDRY

But the pashtun, son of soils, from say: jalalabad, don't quite hold such views (characteristic "kabuli/tajik view"). They consider pakistan as their second homeland, fully recognise nd prise it for it's roll of helping the afghans in it's most difficult times.

Dear Chaudry,
I am an educated Afghan and still prise the role of Pakistan for supporting the Afghans for last 30 years and giving/sharing their homes with Afghans.
I myself have taken my higher education from Pakistan and always say that I have never thought that I was living in a foreign country, the people of Pakistan is dam soo cordial and friendly. I still have lots and lots of friends from Pakistan.

That's the point that I have already said that Afghans have never thought Pakistan a second country but their second home.

p.s. And i am very much surprised, president musharraf hasn't kicked out complete karzai family out of quetta yet!

Dear you shall know that no one can kick you out of your own home specially when you have the support of father (Bush Uncle) of the country leader (Musharaf) lol.... LOL

Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2007 at 18:54
Originally posted by Gharanai

Now the same conditions has just began again and what we are seeing is just a revise of our shortly passed history, the same guerilla warfare and the same losses of Foriegn soldiers.

If you look back to the history you will find that most of the time Afghans have fought an invasion they have lost more fighters but still they fight and mostly win a Pyrrhic Victory over enemy.

But everytime a fighter is killed two more gets motivated to defend the country that's why the numbers of insurgents always keeps going high and high.

And as far as the usage of the Chemicals is concerned surely Russia did use alot of it and the same is being done by America in their campaign over Afghanistan.
For Russian usage click here to get the prove.

I am sorry, but i respectfully disagree Gharanai, i have never read where any war is ever the same as the last one. Maybe too those who hold that false perception close to their hearts. Americans can be just as guilty as the rest by drawing so many comparisons of todays current efforts with the Vietnam war. It can be done, though we would be grabbing the wrong end of the stick!

Also, i beleive you are confusing home grown Afghani guerilla fighters with the current day Taliban made up of primarily Pushtun villagers/farmers from N. Pakistan in the heavily AQ controlled district of Warzistan. With perhaps some Pushtuns from and around the vicinity of the Afghanistan/Pakistan border. I just haven't seen/read about regular Afghanistani people rising up yet against the multi-national efforts in helping Afghanistan. Though, i have heard of them greatly distancing themseleves from the Taliban, which if i understand correctly, is seen as a worse of an option, that is in regards to the subject of foreign occupiers!

As far as the Russians using chemical weapons several decades ago, i can't really honestly comment on that and be fair, seeing that so much of the he/she said rhetoric was tied up within the cold war itself.

As far as Americans using chemical weapons, i find that incredibly hard too believe. Seeing that the press would be all over that story in a heart beat if that was so! As proof of my statement, take for example of Abu Gharib, the program of rendition, Guataunamo and ect... The factual use of chemical weapons would be just too much of a career maker for any new hungry journalist too pass up!
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2007 at 20:37

The level of conflict in Afghanistan now is much lower than during the 1980s and instead of a mass exodus, millions have returned because of the stability brought by NATO.

We are in a different time and world than the Cold War and who can say how the conflict there will play out. Things are starting to fall apart politically in Pakistan and that will have a huge influence on Afghanistan. 

Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2007 at 20:56
Originally posted by DukeC

We are in a different time and world than the Cold War and who can say how the conflict there will play out. Things are starting to fall apart politically in Pakistan and that will have a huge influence on Afghanistan. 

Agreed! That is the very last thing i want to see happening in and to the individual Pakistani's and their nation. Not necessarily only because of the multi-national efforts in Afghanistan, but also because of the implications of a bloody civil war. No single individual sane person wants too see that happen!

Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2007 at 20:59
Oh yeah... and let's not forget their nukes! (No this wasn't an after thought, was just too darn quick in punching the reply button)
CHAUDRY View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote CHAUDRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2007 at 22:16
Originally posted by Panther

Agreed! That is the very last thing i want to see happening in and to the individual Pakistani's and their nation. Not necessarily only because of the multi-national efforts in Afghanistan, but also because of the implications of a bloody civil war. No single individual sane person wants too see that happen!

Pakistan is in political turmoil right now, u can say. This is because time for election is nearing, and Musharraf is feeling the heat. A lot of rumors about possible "deals' between different parties, a lot of pre-election campaign, it is only normal.

I don't see resulting it into civil war. I don't smell it in the air (as a pakistani), things have to go really really bad, would this have a slight chance of occurring. Right now totally impossible. (With the exception of some people with guns, running around hills, bordering afghanistan.)

Mostly pakistani's have supported Musharraf's 'strategic shift-moves'. Although it has met some opposition, mostly from right-wing extremist islamic parties, which are mostly supported in west-Pakistan.

But even the people supporting musharraf have cited serious concerns over military action in the tribal areas, against fellow pakistanis. American targeted bombings which resulted in high casualties, have worsened the situation more. All over Pakistan, people don't like military action against fellow pakistani's, be it extremist or not.

Even pakistani government understands this, and has continously repeated it's intention of not only military, but also political and economical engagement within the concerned areas. And i think, long-term wise it is smarter as well.

I think americans should do the same in afghanistan. Not only heavy bombings with lots of 'collettoral damage', little economic aid, no political engagement at all. Even president Karzai has spoken out about his willingness to engage politically with the 'moderate taliban', several times. This means he recognises taliban support within afghanistan's eastern provinces.

It would be unjust brushing off afghanistan's "political' problem(s), once again, as pakistan caused only.

The americans and their allies haven't been popular in the east, from the beginning, things have worsened only from then on. Resulting into more taliban support from local population. Use of force is prooving to be massively counterproductive, time to switch to other tactics.

Maybe an afghan friend, from east afghanistan, can tell more.

Force only, or more economic and political engagement?

no comment
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2007 at 10:19

Most Afghans never wanted communism but most Afghans do want democracy. So NATO has more Afghans supporting them (or at least tolerating) and most Afghans dont want the nasty Taliban back.

NATO needs to watch out though. Near indiscriminate attacks by the Soviets on the Afghan population guaranteed that the Soviets could not win. NATO air attacks on the Taliban resulting in civilian deaths have been tolerated as they have been accidental. But NATO is so dependent on air power. Because some NATO allies, although supporting democracy in Afghanistan, wont put in the troops in the south where they are needed to help the Brits, Canadians, US and Dutch. Increased civilian deaths, although accidental, will undo the good work the PRTs have been doing in rebuilding Iraq.

With more troops, NATO can win because NATO and the Afghans (mostly) share the same goals. Although, for every Taliban killed, another dozen are produced in the Madrassahs of Pakistan.

Laelius View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Laelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2007 at 17:45

I don't agree entirely what Laelius said either, about the Pashtun:  they (not all) may don't want to recognize Pakistan.

It doesn't mean that they actually don't.

To be honest it was something of a generalization, a helpful guide to understanding the different perspectives between Afghanistans different ethic groups.  Of course I can hardly claim to be an expert on Afghanistan and its people.

Hmmmmm !  So you think so ?   Is the US Military banning news reporters from airports when the body bags are flown in, then ?  That was a large part of what determined jsut how the Vietnam war ended, my friend !
More's the pity !

You overestimate the American new media, believe me as an American that a few flag draped coffins aren't going to usurp Coke hound Lyndsay Lohan's position as America's main focus...

The effect on casualties on the American public have been greatly exagerrated.  In engagements in places like Vietnam casualties were but one of a number of different factors.  In Iraq for instances the greatest decreases in popular support occurred not because of casualties but rather from the revelations that the justifications for going to war were completely false and unsupportable.  What's more the US is spending nearly 100 billion a year in operations and rebuilding projects in Iraq  To put that number in perspective thats the annual GDP of Kuwait New Zealand Egypt and the Ukraine. 

In the case of Afghanistan, on the other hand, the cost in finance and casualties has been miscule, around 300 deaths, 1/3 of that from accidents, after being involved for 6 years and guess what?  American support has remained completely solid.
Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Aug-2007 at 18:56

Originally posted by Panther

I am sorry, but i respectfully disagree Gharanai, i have never read where any war is ever the same as the last one. Maybe too those who hold that false perception close to their hearts. Americans can be just as guilty as the rest by drawing so many comparisons of todays current efforts with the Vietnam war. It can be done, though we would be grabbing the wrong end of the stick!

First of all dear Panther you don't have to be sorry as I really like criticism about my writings as I get to know more about my mistakes and beside that everyone has his/her view and is free to express it, so thanks for your comment.

Afterwards dear I have always said that fighting can never bring developement and peace to a nation, even sometimes I say that if King Ghazi Amanullah Khan of Afghanistan was let to rule for a further 10-20 years, today Afghanistan would have been one of the leading countries in the world in sence of economic, military might, education and democracy as his visions was much like Late. Attaturk of Turkey who took Turkey to much higher steps of developement and success.

But the problem with our people (you can say that it's a part of their nature) is that they never understand that what is good for them and what is not.

I mean let just take a look at our neighbor Pakistan, they got their so called independent in 1947 and after 60 year today they are a nuclear power with a stable economy and good education rate, what is the cause is that they still are a part/member of common wealth (meaning they never thought of demolishing their relations with western countries).

Our people knows only one word and that is independent, I mean they would prefer living Independent in stone age rather than in a occupied modernized age.
I personally fell that this thinking must be changed so that the country may develope and step forward but still some where inside me myslef in my heart I feel the wish for independence as well, by independence I mean no foriegn troops.

Well that's what our nature is and may Almighty Allah change it as no other one can do so.
A will tell you a (maybe a myth but still) story which was told to us by our forefathers in our childhood that; "When Alexander the great stepped in Afghanistan his forces suffered alot due to the terrian and guerilla warfare, then he wrote to his mother about it and in reply his mother asked him to send her some dust/soil of the country, which he did and after some time his mother replied that I had called some megicians and professors to tell me about the country but once they touched the soil they all started fighting each other over their views and after a long quarl they finaly decided that it is a soil of a country which will spare no one not even its own people and never will this country develope."

After thousands of years we still see that this country has not spared anyone not even its own people and is still living in a era where the word developement is not know by people.

As far as your comment :

Also, i beleive you are confusing home grown Afghani guerilla fighters with the current day Taliban made up of primarily Pushtun villagers/farmers from N. Pakistan in the heavily AQ controlled district of Warzistan. With perhaps some Pushtuns from and around the vicinity of the Afghanistan/Pakistan border. I just haven't seen/read about regular Afghanistani people rising up yet against the multi-national efforts in helping Afghanistan. Though, i have heard of them greatly distancing themseleves from the Taliban, which if i understand correctly, is seen as a worse of an option, that is in regards to the subject of foreign occupiers!

is concerned.

I would like to tell you just a single line which is a famous saying about pashtuns, it says; "The only time Pashtuns are not at war with themselves is when they are at war!"

So I am sure that you got the reply to that comment.

Now as far as you say:

As far as Americans using chemical weapons, i find that incredibly hard too believe. Seeing that the press would be all over that story in a heart beat if that was so! As proof of my statement, take for example of Abu Gharib, the program of rendition, Guataunamo and ect... The factual use of chemical weapons would be just too much of a career maker for any new hungry journalist too pass up!

You can check my other post about the use of chemical weapons by Americans in Afghaistan.
You may start (maybe) to believe it.
The link is here.

mwe1 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote mwe1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2007 at 16:08
Soviet army could stay there for 2 more centuries, should they willing to. It had more than enough resources for that. That war simply lost all its appeal to the USSR after perestroika had started and the cold war had ended.

The USSR couldn't have stayed there five more years...

Only a tiny minority of Afghans participated in the fighting on the Soviet side. Their role and casualties were very insignificant. The schorched policies and repressions were small scale.

A large number of young men were drafted to fight in the DRA. The DRA had tens of thousands of men (which would and did flucate as few wanted to die for the Soviets). And the DRA even formed elite units, conducted sweep and clear operations with the Soviets, made up garrison units. DRAAF planes conducted cross border air strikes and recon operations into Pakistan. To say their role was insignificant is to not know history.

And the scorched earth and repression were on quite a large scale.

The thing is that. Nor Soviets in Afghanistan nor Americans in Vietnam were MILITARY defeated. Both armies always performed their tactical tasks and no major battle was lost.But they were not able to win either. You can't simply put the country under control by defeating its army, if the whole population hates you utterly.You either should reeducate all the population or simply terrorize or genocide it to the extent when nobody would be willing to resistant the foreign invaders.Nor US nor USSR were able to perform the latter task. And they simply were not willing to do it.

They failed to put down the revolt, thus a military failure. Winning some fire fights and blundering around during sweeps doesn't mean one won the war.

Edited by mwe1 - 10-Nov-2007 at 16:12
konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2007 at 21:03
Originally posted by Sarmat12

Any government that engaged in such actions would lose any justification for it's existance.

You sure are bloody minded.

That's why SU stopped this war. However, I believe you would probably drown all the enemies in blood, if you were the leader of the invaders.

Your posts bertray your violent nature and narrow mind. 

Sarmat, you're always so pro-Russian/Soviet that it gets annoying. SU did not stop (sic) the war in Afhganistan because they felt like it, they were FORCED to discontinue action by their inability to conclude a military result. Yes, they were defeated in the same sense that the Americans were defeated in Vietnam (or are now being defeated in Iraq) and recently Israel was defeated in Lebanon against Hezbollah. In all these cases the main point is the same: when a world-power military goes against a puny enemy and does not achieve its goals, it is defeat in whatever colors you want to dress it up in. 

Edited by konstantinius - 19-Nov-2007 at 09:09
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>