Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Most Conquered Country!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Mystic View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Most Conquered Country!
    Posted: 08-Feb-2005 at 12:24
China has been conquered quite a few times as well. Well actually only two foreign groups were successfully able to conquer and rule all of China, them being the Mongols and the Manchus but during the age of fragmentation, many of the various kingdoms and dynasties that were established were of non-Chinese origin. Of course they eventually assimilated and sinicized but that's a whole nother issue. THe Song dynasty also had various parts of China occupied by foreigners such as the Tanguts, Khitans, and the Jurchens. Considering China's geographical location, one should not be surprised that many foreign groups at various times were able to conquer and occupy parts of China simply because of the proximity to the Central Asian Steppelands who were home of the nomadic invaders. I guess you can call it a very unfortunate position for China as you can see that she was constantly invaded and threatened by these nomadic peoples. So much so that the very symbol of China's greatest monument, the Great Wall was built to protect them from these peoples. One thing that is amazing though is that no matter how many times the nomadic peoples invaded and even successfully conquered China, Chinese civilization and culture was able to survive as they assimilated those various peoples around her. As you can see I'm quite fascinated with the concept of Sinicization 
sennacherib View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2005 at 14:04
I place my bets on Iraq, or at least the territory that now makes up what we call Iraq.
Idanthyrus View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2005 at 18:42

Afghanistan is probably pretty high up there too.

I wouldnt really say that the Babylonians or the Sumerians conquered Iraq since basically both were natives to the land.

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2005 at 20:35
I dont know it could I cant  say for a fact Iraq I think it would be more of the region between Turkey, Jerusalem, Iran, Egypt. I wouldnt include the Arabian Peninsula because that wasnt major.
ChineseManchurian View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2005 at 21:28

Originally posted by Mystic

China has been conquered quite a few times as well. Well actually only two foreign groups were successfully able to conquer and rule all of China, them being the Mongols and the Manchus but during the age of fragmentation, many of the various kingdoms and dynasties that were established were of non-Chinese origin. Of course they eventually assimilated and sinicized but that's a whole nother issue. THe Song dynasty also had various parts of China occupied by foreigners such as the Tanguts, Khitans, and the Jurchens. Considering China's geographical location, one should not be surprised that many foreign groups at various times were able to conquer and occupy parts of China simply because of the proximity to the Central Asian Steppelands who were home of the nomadic invaders. I guess you can call it a very unfortunate position for China as you can see that she was constantly invaded and threatened by these nomadic peoples. So much so that the very symbol of China's greatest monument, the Great Wall was built to protect them from these peoples. One thing that is amazing though is that no matter how many times the nomadic peoples invaded and even successfully conquered China, Chinese civilization and culture was able to survive as they assimilated those various peoples around her. As you can see I'm quite fascinated with the concept of Sinicization 

Actually Mongol and Manchu not really conquered China by their miltary force, 90% of their sodiers were Chinese. So some people says if Chinese unified against others they will never lose

Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2005 at 03:19

If we don't want to consider the whole of a country then I think Iran was conquered more than Iraq becuase all of those who conquered Iraq also conquered parts of Iran, other than them:

Afghans
Alavids
Amardians
Armenians
Assassins
Atabegs
Bavandids
Caspians
Dutch
Eldeguzid
Ghaznavids
Ghurids
Hephthalites
Hyrcanians
Kavusids
Lullubis
Mosaferids
Muzaffarids
Omanese
Paduspanids
Portuguese
Russians
Saffardis
Salghurids
Samanids
Scythians
Simjurids
Spaniards
Tahirids
Urartians
Uzbeks
Zeyarids

Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2005 at 18:25

Portuguese?

Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2005 at 07:45
Yes, the Portuguese ruled the southern Iran for about one century. There are still some Portuguese castles in Qeshm, Hormoz, Tis and some other cities of Iran.
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2005 at 05:22

they were in the Arabic part of the Hurmz strait also

Degredado View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2005 at 07:11

Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

Yes, the Portuguese ruled the southern Iran for about one century. There are still some Portuguese castles in Qeshm, Hormoz, Tis and some other cities of Iran.

Indeed, from 1511 to 1620, the Portuguese were in the Persian Gulf, doing whatever it was they did (they also dominated bits of Oman). What does surprise me is the mention of the Spaniards. As far as I remember, they never went near the Persian Gulf. 

Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas
Rava View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2005 at 07:30

In terms of the permanent lost of the indenpendence it's about 250 years. In terms of single invasions or temporary occupation of the land ... many to many.

Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2005 at 07:53
From 1580 the southern Iran was in fact under Spanish rule, Shah Abbas fought against Philip III, the king of Spain.
Degredado View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2005 at 12:48
Ahem...no. Our king was Spanish, but there was some separation between the two nations. Only after...oh wait...yeah.
Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas
Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2005 at 13:52

It depends if you look at how long they have been conquered or or how many times they have been conquered. Mesopotamia was ruled by Iranians for about 13 of the past 25 centuries. Overall, middles east is probably the most conquered mainly because it is the oldest part of the world and its location of being in the middle of everything. It would be very hard to say which country in the middle east.

RED GUARD View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2005 at 09:15
        This must be Egypt, I mean, it has been conquered by Hyksos, Assyrians, Persians, Greeks, Romans, Arabs, French and British and was almost conquered by Iseral.
Quotes by your's turly:

"I came, I saw, and I conquered... but only for the weekend"

"This is my tank, this is my weapon, and this is my pride."

"Power comes from a barrel of a gun."

Kouros View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2005 at 20:49
Imperator Invictus is correct but Cyrus Shahmiri brings up a good point. iran has been subjugated to many forms of rule but alot of iran was under sphere of influence not conqured. iraq is the most hostile of these places and has seen the might of every nations sword. it has been predetermined that nimrod would be a place of political unrest and rule by hazrateh Ali. he said that from the begining iraq was loose and till the end of the world stability and peace will never come to its soil becuase the land is cursed or something of the sort.  
Iran:?!]Iran
Tlaloc View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2005 at 21:26
In my opinion, the country or region in question has to be put into an overall context greater than a simple change of rulers.

This means how much harm the actual region has suffered at the hands of the invaders, how much it retarded progress and developpement.

Iraq might have been conquered many, many times, but in my view it wasn't that bad, overall. Borders changed, the people remained, and for a while (infact, at the very beginning as well) they prospered udner the early Mesopotamian Civilizations and under the Islamic Khalifates.

Russia might have been lorded over by the Mongols..but in just two or three centuries they had thrown off the yoke, and incorporated the former invaders into their world empire.

Israel..heh, Israel just plays the sympathy card. But it's rather well off, if you ask me.

So, my vote goes to the Balkans. No region has been so retarded in growth, by relatively few invasions. In the economic and social map of Europe, one could change entire worlds by stepping over this imaginary boundary: Austria and Hungary to the north, Italy to the west, Greece to the south, Ukraine to the East. Passing that boundary brought you into a backward region, where the invaders have been few but the damage has been, and continues to be, tragic.

Perhaps it's poor geographical location, perhaps it's just pure misfortune. Either way, it's pathetic compared to what it could have been.
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2005 at 13:53
Personally, I think it has to be somewhere in Africa that has been conquered the most because there's a revolution going on there almost everyday. My bets are on either Sudan or Congo.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2005 at 11:21
Originally posted by Rava

In terms of the permanent lost of the indenpendence it's about 250 years. In terms of single invasions or temporary occupation of the land ... many to many.

What are you talking about???Poland???Or the middle east? And i can never see poland one of the most invaded/conquered lands (mainly invaded) but as i can see only the USSR and Germany have conquered it. None of the others did it, or they were packed by revolutions and killed a month afterwards.

But if you take the percent then from the last 900 years that from Estonian history is known at all, i might say it is us, for we ruled the land 118+37+14=169 years of 900... that makes it a decent 18% ownage of the land by years.

Hardel View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2005 at 05:27
China
1.Toba (north wei) they were nomadic ethnic(mongol or manchu).They did conquered north china.
2.Kidan(liao empire)They were proto mongol.
3.Tangut(Xia xia empire)They were tibetians.
4.Jurchid or jurjen,manchu(jing empire).conquered north china.
5.Mongol empire(Yun empire).conquered all china.
6.Manchu(Qing empire).Conquered all china.
7.Peraphs Japans.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>