Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best & Worst Commander of Medival Europe(400-1500)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Balain d Ibelin View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Balain d Ibelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best & Worst Commander of Medival Europe(400-1500)
    Posted: 23-Jun-2007 at 04:22
Who is your Best and Worst Commander of Medieval Europe (400s-1500s)
"Good quality will be known among your enemies, before you ever met them my friend"Trobadourre de Crusadier Crux
Liudovik_Nemski View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Liudovik_Nemski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2007 at 14:23
Tsar Simeon I (893-927)

Worst:his son Tsar Peter I (927-969)
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Balain d Ibelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2007 at 16:29
Hey, Liudovik. What country they were from??
Confused
"Good quality will be known among your enemies, before you ever met them my friend"Trobadourre de Crusadier Crux
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jun-2007 at 05:07
Originally posted by Balian d'Ibelin

Hey, Liudovik. What country they were from??
Confused

They are from Bulgaria.
For me the best:
Jan Hunyadi ( Hungary )
Richard Lionheart
Kanoute the Great
Joanna d'Arc
Skandenberg

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 20:37
That's a huge time period. For best I will go with Belisarius. For worst, Basilacius.
Athanasios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 20:53
I think that the best commander of this period was Tamerlane( because he gathered the best army and he used the best tactics since then ). My vote could be easily go for Belisarius too, because he's my favoriteClap

It's really hard to choose a "worst" one. I'd choose Alexios V Mourtzouflos (1204)Thumbs%20Down

Constantine XI in which one Basilacius are you refering to?

Edited by Athanasios - 05-Aug-2007 at 08:27

Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2007 at 02:35
Originally posted by Athanasios

The one who led the failed campaign to reconquer the Vandal kingdom, and later became Emperor. He went equipped with 100,000 men and still failed. His sheer incompetence stuns me.

The entire history of the Middle Ages may have been different if only a capable commander had been appointed to lead that expedition.
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2007 at 10:37
I've always heard him named Basiliscus, not Basilacius. I could be wrong though.

And yeah, looking at this thread his name leapt into my head as well. History's sure written that poor schmuck a poor resume.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jun-2007 at 19:51
Best: I'm going with Belisarios
Worst: Hard one, I'll have to think about it
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2007 at 03:53
Originally posted by Athanasios

I think that the best commander of this period was Tamerlane( because he gathered the best army and the used best tactics sice then ). My vote could be easily go for Belisarius too, because he's my favouriteClap

It's realy hard to choose a "worst" one. I'd choose Alexios V Mourtzouflos (1204)Thumbs%20Down

I would also go with Tamerlane but the subject is best commanders of Medieval Europe.
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Balain d Ibelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2007 at 06:44
Well, if anyone is hard to pick the worst, then just answer the best.
John the Kern View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote John the Kern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2007 at 17:41

Charlemagne

Frederick Barbarossa
My peoples tale is written in blood
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jul-2007 at 04:42

The worst, for me: Ethelred the Unready. Name says it all... Complete failure of a king.

- Lost his fleet because one of his own ealdorman used it to go raiding his own lands.
- Did, for several years on end, not manage to actually bring his army in the same part of the country as the invaders, let alone face them.
- And when he did he was smashed, because another of his ealdorman was disloyal, and because he himself had no control over his army. 
- Finally, the people of his country gave themselves willingly over to his opponent, the invader Svein Forkbeard, because they preferred a king who could win battles. Only London did not surrender freely, and only because Ethlered was there at the time... And eventually, they too gave up. He had to flee to his brother in law, Robert of Normandy, and could only return because Svein died.
- Even his wife thought he was hopeless, and had his name removed from her biography (written after he died), referring to him only as 'a certain prince'.

Edited by Aelfgifu - 03-Jul-2007 at 04:45

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2007 at 04:51
I also got to agree with aelgifu aethelred the unready perhaps the worst  military leader ive ever heard of
he did the same thing again and again paying off the vikings instead of giving them a fight and show true leadership instead of being a hopeless coward.

As for my best in my opinion is probs alfred the great even though the last kingdom to stand and despite all the odds successfully drove the danes out of wessex  by using barbarian tactics not used since their saxon ancesetors and reestablished anglo saxon rule in southern england and allowing the danes to rule the north but still had to look to him as their superior.
Placed 14th greatest briton in history and the only english king ever to be given the title great given to him by the danes.

Edited by ezycompany - 13-Jul-2007 at 04:53
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2007 at 07:14
Even the entire of Europe is a land too big to cover in such question... There were several talented generals, Belisarius, Saladin and Charlemagne to name a few. There were also hundreds of lousy idiotic ones. I'd choose Belisarius as the best and Philippe VI of France as the lousiest.
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Balain d Ibelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2007 at 00:49
So... Various answers, for me:
          Best : Saladin
                     Charlemagne
            (There are still lots of more)

Worst: Same as Aeflgifu, Ethelred the Unready.

Any body more??

Praetor View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Praetor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jul-2007 at 08:32
Aelfgifu makes a good case for Ethelred the Unready being the worst commander of medieval europe However neither "Holy Roman" Emperor Sigismund nor Louis IX of France impress me much either.

As for the best my vote goes to Belisarius with other contenders including Heraclius, Jan Zizka and Skenderbeg among many other distinguished commanders.

On a final note to those who mentioned Saladin the topic is about the best and worsed of medieval Europe not of the Near East.
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jul-2007 at 13:42
Originally posted by Constantine XI

That's a huge time period. For best I will go with Belisarius. For worst, Basilacius.
I'm going to agree with Constantine XI on this one.  I still can't believe how horrible a leader Basiliscus was.

Edited by Justinian - 21-Oct-2007 at 07:17
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2007 at 04:02
I believe there are hundreds of such persons of whom 'we can't believe how horrible a leader they were'... 
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jul-2007 at 04:30
Originally posted by rider

I believe there are hundreds of such persons of whom 'we can't believe how horrible a leader they were'... 

True but few were given such an opportunity to bugger things up on such an absolutely collosal scale as this would-be Belisarius. His subsequent reign as Emperor is further proof of his sheer ineptitude in anything to do with decision making, leadership and responsibility.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>