Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pro and cons of families

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pro and cons of families
    Posted: 05-Jul-2007 at 11:11

Originally posted by ataman

The best way is to learn from our grandfathers. I mean, we shouldn't use any method of birth control. Women should stay at homes and take careof children, while their husbands should earn monay. It'll beenough.

Are you serious?

Let's overpopulate a world where resources became scarcer for every day and wait for the inevitable disasters that happen when there is not enough land, food or water. Sounds like a plan!

Our grandfather lived in a another world. Their grandfather's greatgrandfathers sacrificed human beings. Sometimes it's time to stop old traditions. Old is not always good. For the record, both my grandmothers worked and so did their mothers.

Feminism has little to nothing to do with low natality rates. Women has worked in Sweden for centuries, either in factories or on the farms and still had tons of children. The lesser birth rates are due to the use of preventives. Which is a good thing, there already are too much people around. Western Turkey does not have lower birth rates became they are in any way "feminised", but because people there are generally wealthier, better educated and knows how to use a condom.

Edited by Styrbiorn - 05-Jul-2007 at 11:15
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2007 at 12:08
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

Are you serious?

Let's overpopulate a world where resources became scarcer for every day and wait for the inevitable disasters that happen when there is not enough land, food or water. Sounds like a plan!

I should explain that I have written only about Europe (look at here http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=20394&PN=2 )
IMO, Europe is developed enough to feed at least 3-4 times bigger population it already has.  Netherlands has density of population 395/km2, but I have not heard about any femin in this country.
The shortage of resources is a problem only for less developed countries. This is a problem for many African countries, but not for European ones.
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2007 at 12:11

For the record, both my grandmothers worked and so did their mothers.

Can you write how many children they had?
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2007 at 12:43
'The best way is to learn from our grandfathers. I mean, we shouldn't use any method of birth control. Women should stay at homes and take care of children, while their husbands should earn monay. It'll be enough.'
Ouch I didn't remember that one. Ataman at least you should precise that people should be free to do as they wish. 

Feminism has a lot to this problem. Look at Saudi Arabia or Kuwait. These are not poor countries, but they are not feminised. In 1980 Saudi Arabia had 8,37 mln people, while in 2007 it has 27.6 mln people! Can you believe? Today Saudi Arabia has 330% more people than 27 years ago!
Kuwait in 1980 had 1,37mln people, while in 2006 it had 3.1 mln.
So richer countries don't have to necessarly have low natality rate.
lol you could difficultly have picked a worst example: Saudi Arabia is a very inequal country with a majority of dirt poor and a huge part of the population is fron abroad (25% in Saudi Arabia, 75% in UAE)
Finally I don't see how these countries can be a social model for anyone even for anti-feminists
I am a free donkey!
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2007 at 13:34

For the record, both my grandmothers worked and so did their mothers.

Can you write how many children they had?

Grandmothers had 3 resp. 2 kids, their mothers 7 resp 6. Why do you request this information?
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2007 at 13:43
i loved this article

http://www.economist.com/displayStory.cfm?story_id=9407842
I am a free donkey!
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2007 at 13:46

Grandmothers had 3 resp. 2 kids, their mothers 7 resp 6.

What does 'resp.' stand for?

Why do you request this information?

I was wonder how many children had working women in Sweden.

ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2007 at 13:55
Originally posted by Maharbbal

Ataman at least you should precise that people should be free to do as they wish. 

Maharbbal, if we are talking about free countries, there is no question if people should be forced to something or not.

Originally posted by Maharbbal

Finally I don't see how these countries can be a social model for anyone even for anti-feminists

It is not the matter of a model. It is the matter of an influence (or lack of influence) of feminism and a wealth of a country on a natality rate.
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2007 at 15:48

It is not the matter of a model. It is the matter of an influence (or lack of influence) of feminism and a wealth of a countryon a natality rate.

Bad understanding of causation here. Even if birthrates are higher in countries that haven't been influenced by feminism - it doesn't mean there is a causal relationship between the two, to any degree whatsoever.

This is the kind of misunderstanding of causality that led ancient Egyptians to assume celestial objects could affect the Nile, because the two phenomena appeared to be related. When the stars and moon were in certain positions the Nile flooded, but it didn't mean the celestial bodies caused the flooding.

Correlation does not imply causation. Cum hoc ergo propter hoc.
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2007 at 15:50

It is not the matter of a model. It is the matter of an influence (or lack of influence) of feminism and a wealth of a countryon a natality rate.

Bad understanding of causation here. Even if birthrates are higher in countries that haven't been influenced by feminism - it doesn't mean there is a causal relationship between the two, to any degree whatsoever.

This is the kind of misunderstanding of causality that led ancient Egyptians to assume celestial objects could affect the Nile, because the two phenomena appeared to be related. When the stars and moon were in certain positions the Nile flooded, but it didn't mean the celestial bodies caused the flooding.

Example:

Originally posted by Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

You may be interested to know that global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters are a direct effect of the shrinking numbers of Pirates since the 1800s. For your interest, I have included a graph of the approximate number of pirates versus the average global temperature over the last 200 years. As you can see, there is a statistically significant inverse relationship between pirates and global temperature.

elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2007 at 21:59

Originally posted by Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Wasnt that religion started by the ancestors of Tom Cruise and his pirate church? No, wait Katy Holmes, it is coming to me now. This social phenomenon came after the Chuckadaspagett Wars that started in the region of Ubasta in the 1600s. I agree, there were undeniable Ancient world influences as well.

elenos
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2007 at 00:46
Originally posted by edgewaters

It is not the matter of a model. It is the matter of an influence (or lack of influence) of feminism and a wealth of a country on a natality rate.

In thic case correlation implies causation. Feminised society has more educated women, more working women, more women who are independet on men etc. These women get marry later (sometimes they don't marry at all), use methods of birth control, etc. It has a direct influence on a natality rate.
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2007 at 01:14

Women has worked in Sweden for centuries, either in factories or on the farms and still had tons of children.

It doesn't mean that Swedish society in the past was feminised. Women always worked either on farms or at homes. What I wanted to say in my previous message about 'working women' is that in feminised society, women try to copy male model and make career outside their farms and homes.

The lesser birth rates are due to the use of preventives.

That's true.
Therefore I have written about 2 factors, which together are decreasing a natality rate.
The first is feminism, the second is using of methods of a birth control. They are connected with each other.

Western Turkey does not have lower birth rates became they are in any way "feminised", but because people there are generally wealthier, better educated and knows how to use a condom.

AFAIK, usually only women are responsible for using of method of a birth control in Turkey (can anybody from Turkey confirm or deny it?). Therefore more feminised Western Turkey (with better educated WOMEN) has lower natality rate.
Sultan
Sultan

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2007 at 01:22

In thic case correlation implies causation.

Correlation never implies causation, in any case. You can't demonstrate a causal relationship by mere correlation. It's irrelevant. If it can't be demonstrated by other means, then it is insufficient. If it can be demonstrated by other means, then it is unnecessary.

Feminised society has more educated women, more working women, more women who are independet on men etc. These women get marry later (sometimes theydon't marry at all), use methods of birth control, etc.It has a directinfluence on a natality rate.

The only proof you offer is correlation, which is no proof at all. A third factor may be responsible for both feminism and lower natality - say, education or living costs or social mobility. People who expect to have more income in the future might wait longer to have children, for instance.
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2007 at 02:22

Correlation never implies causation, in any case. .

Ok, I should use another words. I should write 'In this case correlation is the effect of causation'

The only proof you offer is correlation, which is no proof at all.

I don't agree. I have shown you causes and direct effects. For example:
- the cause - more educated women  (more women are educated and more women learn longer - for example they go to universities)
- the effect - usually women don't decide to born children when they learn; they marry later (or / and use methods of birth control) and therefore they have less children

A third factor may be responsible for both feminism and lower natality - say, education or living costs or social mobility. People who expect to have more income in the future might wait longer to have children, for instance.

Ok, so show me any feminised society which has a high natality rate.

Edited by ataman - 06-Jul-2007 at 02:36
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2007 at 20:01

'The best way is to learn from our grandfathers. I mean, we shouldn't use any method of birth control. Women should stay at homes and take care of children, while their husbands should earn monay. It'll be enough.'

[/QUOTE

I can't find where you first posted this so I may be taking it out of context ( although I can't think of any context that it wouldn't offend me) but I find this to be one of the most assinine, offensive remarks that I have read on here in a long time.  To credit my grandfathers with such thoug

I can't find where you first posted this so I may be taking it out of context ( although I can't think of any context that it wouldn't offend me) but I find this to be one of the most assinine, offensive remarks that I have read on here in a long time.  To credit my grandfathers with such thoughts is an insult to them and the women that married them.

Edited by Dawn - 06-Jul-2007 at 20:03
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2007 at 20:23
Perhaps if Ataman's grandparents had access to birth control they would have used it, and he wouldn't have been born!
elenos
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2007 at 21:53
Ataman has some problems in his arguments, here are some:

People always had birth control (Japan population under the second half of the Tokugawa shogunate had a total demographic growth close to 0% even when there was no major mortality because of birth control including infanticide).

The presence of feminism cannot be considered as the main nor even a significant factor of the drop of the natality rate. France population simply stopped growing in the 1750s while the rest of Europe waited toll the 1850s or the 1900s to undergo such a shift. No major feminist trend can be correlated to that.

Feminised society has more educated women, more working women, more women who are independet on men etc. These women get marry later (sometimes they don't marry at all), use methods of birth control, etc. It has a direct influence on a natality rate.
Ultimately, it also depends on ho you see the world and hope it will be when you pass it up to your children: I'd rather have educated and free women than a high natality rate. I don't see how any one can oppose this (specially since women in chains may not have many more children).

Talking about grand ma, mine had 16 abortions, 3 miscarriages, 1 child dead before 1 and 3 daughters in 20 years of wedding I don't see how this can be better than my mum who had 1 kid only
I am a free donkey!
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2007 at 23:49
Originally posted by Dawn

I can't find where you first posted this so I may be taking it out of context

Dawn, here it is:

( although I can't think of any context that it wouldn't offend me) but I find this to be one of the most assinine, offensive remarks that I have read on here in a long time. 

Really?

To credit my grandfathers with such thoughts is an insult to them and the women that married them.  

Ok, so I apologize your grandfathers.
Anyway I have described the situation in a large part of Europe in the begining of 20th c. Most of European countries had huge natality rate in that time. Look at Styrbiorn (who is from Sweden) - his grandgrandmother had 7 children. My wife's grandmother (she was from Germany) had 20 brothers and sisters! My 1 gradfather (from Ukraine) had 8 brothers and sisters. My second grandfather (from Poland) had 9 brothers and sisters. It was typical for Europeans in the begining of 20th c. to have a lot of sisters and brothers. And the typical model was that women stayed at homes and took care of children, while their husbands had to earn monay for family.

Edited by ataman - 06-Jul-2007 at 23:54
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2007 at 23:59
Originally posted by elenos

Perhaps if Ataman's grandparents had access to birth control they would have used it

I doubt. In the begining of 20th religion was the most important thing for most of people in central and eastern Europe. All my gradparents (and my wife's grandparents) were Catholics. Catholic church was (and still is) against any method of a birth control.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>