Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Medieval Total War Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Medieval Total War Thread
    Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 21:21
Question:  Has anyone found it very difficult to win as either France or Germany because those two countries are surrounded by so many enemies?
Member of IAEA
Roughneck View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Roughneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 22:24
Germany is surrounded by CATHOLIC enemies, which makes it tough.  I try to fight my way down to the Med and get an iron grip on Provence, which let's me get at the non-Catholic powers on the Med.  Also try to get at the Orthodox powers to the east through Prussia. Haven't played as France.
[IMG]http://img160.exs.cx/img160/7417/14678932fstore0pc.jpg">
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 23:20

I tend to just wait and build up my production base and armies, and then wait for someone to attack me, then destroy them. 

If I get bored though I'll launch a crusade against the Golden Horde or something.

Member of IAEA
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 07:36
yeah, tried several games with the HRE, most of the time one of my neighbours attacks me at one point and most other neighbours ally with them...
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 08:25
Same thing happens when I play France.
Member of IAEA
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 15:20

I have hard a hard time with HRE too, for easy factions Egypt and England work best I suppose.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 18:40
Heh, i love playing Denmark. I just conquer Sweden and norway and next without any good technology i build countless viking units which quckly flood Germany, France and England. So far i found Denmark the esiest country to win fast. In the early medieval period those cheap vikings are good enough to conquer half of Europe. I call it a "russian strategy" cause i dont care how much troops i will loose. I have 3 new units each turn. Later i only support them with the cheapest pikemen units which go against enemy cavalry.

Edited by Mosquito
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2004 at 02:21

when playing as the HRE, one of my first duties is to re-enforce troops to make sure Denmark doesnt try any tricks.

What period do you usuall start Genghis?

Mast View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Mast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2004 at 07:37
I've never played more than 10 years with the HRE. It's just to big and squeezed in. France however isn't as hard, ally with the HRE and Spain, force the english out and try to take 1-2 provinces in Britain. Then go after Spain who should be weakened now after the Almohad wars.
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2004 at 09:26
I finally got MTW and VI last week. I've beaten it with Byzantines and Vikings. 
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2004 at 13:46
I play most countries in the late period when they have cooler structures and units, but sometimes I start in the early period too.  Sometimes I play during the Viking period as well.
Member of IAEA
Roughneck View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Roughneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2004 at 16:38
I never have a problem with Denmark invading my land, but when I'm ready to invade them I need a huge army because their king is always so damned horny!
[IMG]http://img160.exs.cx/img160/7417/14678932fstore0pc.jpg">
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2004 at 20:36

Have to keep him away from your daughters!

same here Genghis, the units are good. HRE also have uber units then also.

Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2004 at 21:27
Did you like the Vikings map or the Medieval map better? Just curious. I can say that the vikings campaign was more enjoyable because it made more sense for the size of the game and didn't take 50 hours to complete. 
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2004 at 21:35

Have to agree 100%! MtW can sometimes be a chore with a big campaign and last a month. That what the beauty of Shogun is for me, the small island packed with many different clans allows more games. Interestingly also, the battle maps were bigger in Shoggy.

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2004 at 22:13

I like that I can "reward" generals by making them eunuchs as a Muslim power.

snip snip

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2004 at 11:18
Originally posted by Genghis

Question:  Has anyone found it very difficult to win as either France or Germany because those two countries are surrounded by so many enemies?

HRE, at least how I played was pretty easy (Normal, high). What has WWII taught you?

You are surrounded by many but you are also stronger than many neighboors. The first thing you do is gather all the troops in the northern provinces (about 500) and attack denmark in turn #2 and kill their king in the battle and eliminating their faction. That should be so early in the game that nobody else in the world would know what happened! Meanwhile, keep building more troops in the eastern provinces, and send an emissary to bribe the army east of Poland (recommeded).  Attack the two Polish provinces with enough men so that they retreat. However, they will retreat to each other, which means that both provinces are captured without a fight. Second faction eliminated in 1 turn! You should have a pretty good army in Poland now. Then, attack Hungary and their province next to it. The big stack should attack Hungary, which is their only castled province. Its army should retreat to a nearby un-casteled province, which then destroy in the next turn to avoid excommunication. After that, everything to the east is open for expansion. If you got there quick enough, you can continue on to Constantinople, fulfilling half of your title "Holy Roman Emperor". However, capturing Rome is a bit trickier.

Edited by Imperator Invictus
Scythian View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Scythian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2004 at 14:46
What are the best mods for M:tw that you know of?
Please, I want to try out these mods before I get my hands on Rome:totalwar,
when that happens, Medieval will be history
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2004 at 15:30

i recommend MedMod for thy Pimpness. It makes the game a better challenge and adds interesting units. Its my favorite.

there is also the theLordz mod if you want to go Napoleonic. Installation:http://www.thelordz.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t =409  Propably the best done.

Scythian View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Scythian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Aug-2004 at 08:43
Thank ye

What about some mods that add or alter factions and provinces?
I've never liked fighting, more empire-building.

I've heard something about a Ottoman invasion mod with a map of Anatolia and the balkans instead of Europe. That sounds interesting, wonder if it's done.

( although, since I played the ROME demo, I will surely personally fight the battles once it comes out ).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>