Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSuggestion Box

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 14>
Author
Athena View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suggestion Box
    Posted: 27-Oct-2010 at 13:13

Hi, I can not find the ignore function.  It is much easier to ignore someone when we can prevent seeing that person's post.  Being able to use an ignore function has worked marvelously for me in a different forum.  Some people seem to feed on negative energy and seriously need to be ignored.    It is understandable why these people do not stop being offensive, because it makes him/her the center of attention, while a thread is is ruined with offensive talk and taken way off subject. 

I really do not want to go running to authority when there is a problem with someone.   Jesus said don't turn to Rome, right?  Jesus said turn the other cheek, right?  Then if things still don't go right, we are to wipe the dust off shoes, and go on our way.  But Jesus already died for our sins, and we don't need to be martyrs enduring someone who feeds on negative.  However, we should be able to use an ignore function as easily as we can use the buddy function, and to be able to disengage this function, incase the person being ignored has learned to be more sensitive and congenial, or incase we are just in a bad mood and realize that the next day. 

One more thing.  I have experienced a function where members can give each other positive and negative points for their post and/or positive or negative reputation points.  I think this would be very effective in encouraging desirable post and discouraging undesirable post.  

Edited by Athena - 27-Oct-2010 at 13:23
TheGreatSimba View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2010 at 13:15
I agree, an ignore function would be fantastic
I use CAPS for emphasis, not yelling. Just don't want to have to click the bold button every time.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2010 at 17:29
Ditto's to the posts by TGS and Athena/Carol!
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
BIG D View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2010 at 13:24
Originally posted by Sparten

Way too many sub-forums. It becomes confusing and many are frankly superflous. Militray history dose not need a modern warfare sunforum, or Historical Pictures a Historical Maps sub-forum.
I agree
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2010 at 14:04
Originally posted by BIG D

Way too many sub-forums. It becomes confusing and many are frankly superflous. Militray history dose not need a modern warfare sunforum, or Historical Pictures a Historical Maps sub-forum.
I agree

Then that makes 2 of you.  However, Sparten is no longer a member here, so that makes one.  I'm not making light of your suggestion.  It's just that it has taken since 2002 to make up the Forum and Subforum line up. In the last 2 years we removed 1-2 subforums, but re introduced the Native language forums.
Most of the subforums were set up by member request and needed a consensus to be accepted.

Considering that Sparten is a Pakistani Attorney, that post is actually funny.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2010 at 14:07
Originally posted by TheGreatSimba

I agree, an ignore function would be fantastic

I'm still pursuing the flesh eating nanobot idea.  A lot more fun.Big smile
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Athena View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2010 at 11:14
I can't find the rules.  People get disciplined and punished so surely there must be rules.  Yesterday I made a totally racist post, fully expecting some disciplinary action be taken.  I did so because I would like to see some discipline in these forums.   Preferably self discipline but it is obviously difficult to make that happen. 

Today I was thinking it would be the pits to be banned for trying to make a point.  A fine would be better.  People could be fined and unable to participate until paying the fine.   Sometimes I am willing to take a chance and to pay the consequences for what I want to say.   This forum has been very liberal and is worth supporting, especially if the trash talk is reduced.  Smile  Now there is the problem, right?  How to have a high standard and liberty too. 

LOL take a lesson from Genhis Khan, take people's money and don't kill them, unless they don't pay.

Edited by Athena - 09-Nov-2010 at 11:19
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2010 at 21:12
Athena, you seem to play the "Fools Game!" Take your chances? Do you really think that we would put up with you if you were not a woman?

Just thank God that we care?

Or at least some of us?

My greatest regards,
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2010 at 10:43
Originally posted by red clay

Originally posted by BIG D

I agree

Then that makes 2 of you.  However, Sparten is no longer a member here, so that makes one.  I'm not making light of your suggestion. 
          I for one, like this division.  It allows historical threads not to be mixed with "Country "X" has this  awesome new weapon", or  "Y" is threatning "X" and Special forces from "Z" are better soldiers and better lovers threads.
Originally posted by Athena

I can't find the rules.  People get disciplined and punished so surely there must be rules.  Yesterday I made a totally racist post, fully expecting some disciplinary action be taken.  I did so because I would like to see some discipline in these forums.   Preferably self discipline but it is obviously difficult to make that happen. 
That was completely unecessarry.  Got to the banned member thread and you will see that the rules are enforced.  I saw a portion of the post's title, but I was at work and didnot want to open it. 

Edited by Cryptic - 10-Nov-2010 at 10:48
Athena View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2010 at 11:27
I found the rules.  I know it seems hard to believe a person would find it so hard to find something as obvious as the code conduct, but  it would have been helpful if my question about where to find the rules had been answered, because my time is limited and I hate loosing time looking for something.  

After reading the code of conduct, I am strongly impressed by how crucial individual judgment is.  I write with a sense of purpuse and often this is judged as trolling.  I rather be dead than have a life without purpose. and meaning.

My sense of purpose is to raise awareness of the principles of democracy and contrast it to tyranny,.  Often this is judged as attacks on those in power.   My experience is, I can instantly be banned with no defense, and everyone defends this as the right of owners, which increases my concern that the principles of democracy are not well understood and are not defended, while the US spends a lot to maintain its military power, and has destroyed the lives of millions of people with military power.    I would be less concerned if we were not killing people and justifying this as defending democracy.   I am afraid we are defending our capitalist economic interest with military might, not our democracy which we do not seem to understand very well.    

I have recently learned how easy it is to believe someone is bigoted and violating the code of conduct, and how knowing more about this someone can totally change that judgment.   I saw a thread I questioned left open, and an imitarion of it closed.   I have ignored someone for a long time, because of I precieved this person as repeactedly violating rules and ruining threads, and was told there have been complaints about this person, confirming my opinion.  And I have seen everytihing I thought I was intolerable and bad, become extrodinarily good.   I am glad the judgments are not my responsibility, and pray someone with bad judgement is given the power to make judgements. I am learning to apprecate how awesome a well balanced democracy is.   What an amazing human challenge that is.  Does any religion offer us anything better?  

Edited by Athena - 21-Nov-2010 at 11:45
Deathless View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2010 at 14:11
Add a section where we can worship opuslola LOL

opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2010 at 20:04
Deathless, that is not really necessary although I know how much you want to please me!

I am most impressed, however, by good postings! As are all of the gods on this site!

Regards,
Athena View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2010 at 09:41
We are all as the gods, because we can reason.  Democracy is behaving as the gods.  Debating until there is a consenus on the best reasoning.   The gods were not perfect beings.  Socrates had trouble with stories of them doing things that should not be done, such as Zeus and his adultry.  
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2010 at 19:24

We are all as the gods, because we can reason.  Democracy is behaving as the gods.  Debating until there is a consenus on the best reasoning.   The gods were not perfect beings.  Socrates had trouble with stories of them doing things that should not be done, such as Zeus and his adultry.  

If you could expand on that subject.....just a little, interest in the classics might increase ten fold.

Evil SmileBig smile

Edited by red clay - 23-Nov-2010 at 19:30
Unknown.
cavalry4ever View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Retired AE Moderator Emeritus

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2010 at 13:08
Originally posted by Deathless

Add a section where we can worship opuslola LOL

We will put him in the same category as Nero and Caligula. They were also given God titles.

"Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul."
Mark Twain
Athena View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2010 at 13:24
Originally posted by red clay

If you could expand on that subject.....just a little, interest in the classics might increase ten fold.

Evil SmileBig smile

I don't know how you would like me to approach this subject.  I am always writing of it and could be banned for preaching, because I am.  I started a thread weeks ago in response to your request. 

Gods/humans and Democracy

It really helps when people ask questions.  Science is to democracy what religion is autocracy.  We must seek truth, because that is the only hope we have of making good decisions.  Should we begin with math and the ancient philosophers in the explanation of democracy?  I refer to Socrates often as he is essential to education for democracy.  Like where should I begin? what I am saying about education is largely ignored.    I need the emotionicon that is banging its head on a brick wall. 

opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2010 at 14:24
A few posts ago, Athena wrote, concerning Democracy;

"Debating until there is a consenus on the best reasoning."

I would suggest that at best actions taken by any government run in this manner could only exist if the gallows awaited any one or any group that did not abide by the majority vote!

Amongst men and women who actually stand by their values, the majority opinion can be deadly!

A consensus, is not a great way to rule!

Consensus can be acheived, however, at the point of a gun!

Athena View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2010 at 17:02

There is nothing I like better than discussing democracy, but this thread is not the place for that. 

In this thread, we could talk about everyone having a say on the rules, and about having a system that allows individuals a defense before being banned.  That is, we can perhaps discuss how the principles of democracy can be applied to the forum.   If we did this, the arguments others have made here would be changed by the experience.   But discussiion of politics and how the US does things, does not belong in the suggestion box.  

However, the banning of Dattaswami does bridge to a discussion of how the principles of democracy can be applied to the forum, and why we might argue against the rule about preaching.   

Dattiswami and I just preach about different things.   I know I could avoid being banned, by remaining as silent as a good German, when Hitler ruled Germany.  But then I would be no more than a worm.  I am giving you a historical, philosophical argument made to justify democracy when it was kings who ruled and people were subjects.  It has everything to do with being a human with dignity, and a sense of meaning and purpose, rather than just a worm.   Our reality in these forums that are not democracies is, the same of old, when kings ruled.  A good Chrstian could hide from the reality of being no more than a worm, with the promise from their King in heaven and an afterlife, but I am not Christian.  The US Declaration of Independence based on Greek and roman classics, could also be called a Declaration of Responsibility.  This declaration goes with freedom of religion and freedom of speech.  I am not sure of the wisdom that takes these freedoms away from us and reduces us to worms again.   Cry

Edited by Athena - 06-Dec-2010 at 17:23
Athena View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2010 at 17:12

Seriously I have to ask what has happened to our reality.  There was a time when if someone was intentionally offensive, this person would be considered uncouth and igronant, and be socially rejected.   Today that is cool, and such a person can remain a member in these forums for years, despite many complaints,  but the person who sinscerely wants to speak of truth and god and benefit the whole of humanity, gets banned.  This is a million miles from the intention of democracy.  It was not the intention of democracy to bring us all to the lowest common denoumenator.  It was the intention that everyone enjoy human dignity and become enlightened.  It is the oldest books that have the most to say about Eygptian theology and Zoroastrianism, and other exotic beliefs, and today with our "technological correctness" we silence such discussions with taboos agrainst preaching or speaking of God (a different forum banned me for that).  What went wrong?  We can pull each other down but not up? 

Patrick Henry was preaching, and he was made a national hero. 

I am coming back after thinking about what I think.  I did feel like DattaSwami was crossing a line.  Too single purposed and not really wanting to engage in history discussons.  A science forum manages this problem by making some discussions a previllage that are earned by posting in science discussions.   Theology  and related subjects are a restricted previllage in the scince forum, kind of assuring someone is "one of us" before having the previllage. I also hope discussion proceeded banning Dattaswamie, so that he could know the limits and had a chance to stay within the limits, and the axe didn't fall unexpectedly.  But then it is hard to believe such a person would knowingly disrespect the owner of the forum if he had been personally contacted.   That personal element is very important in such matters. 

Edited by Athena - 06-Dec-2010 at 18:31
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2010 at 16:16
Addressed to the movers and shakers of this site, also called administrators, etc.!

Since the alternative history section has, upon my quick assement, over 90,000 views, could I suggest that it be moved to its on section?

It certainly would attract more views if it was seperated from the other general segments!

Thanks for the consideration!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 14>