Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSuggestion Box

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 14>
Author
Mughaal View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suggestion Box
    Posted: 08-Nov-2007 at 20:12
I think AE Forums are a great project.

However great it is; i think it can use more tweaking.
In my opinion, the following should be done:

1. Make it more professional.

2. Make it much more "cleaner" looking. Too many threads and many are copies; or superfluous subthreads within a thread. Hard to read. Put all the "Technical" information in one thread and leave out the extra clutter.

Cleaning up the forums will have a more relaxing, soothing effect on my mind when I theorize a hypothesis before posting (in regards to assorted history topics).

Its also easier to navigate.

3. Make it less Euro-centric. I understand we operate on an english board; but can we also introduce parsi, slavic, amharic, japenese, mandarin script? How do we go about introducing or enabling such script?

Why or why not?

4. Create meaningful unions and "links" with fellow history forums. Also, because History is in the making, we can also create partnerships with new sites, blogs, etc. Im thinking links to outside University sources, Websites like: dawn.com; bbc.com; ft.com; aljazeera.net; xinhua.com; etc.

5. Find a way to make AE forums self financing; so whoever the selfless soul that finances this forum is, he can heave a sigh of relief.

6. The Mods should be bilingual just in case.

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2007 at 20:45
Mughaal,

some quick responses to your suggestions:

1)  We aren't a professional publishing house. Only a bunch of volunteers who tend to like the way the forum looks.

2)  Yes we do have overlapping threads at times. New members tend to be fond of certain topics, some which we may actually have already. Yet the threads all have an orderly system set in specific timeframes of history. Every now and then Dawn gets the urge to give us a make-over. Never know what the forum will look like when that happens!

3)  Again, we cover as many aspects of world history that we know of. If one is missing you could let us know. The forum language will remain as English only.

4)  We do have a pull down menu for links to other forums at the bottom of the main forum page.

5)  We also have a drive for donations. You can find that information in the scroll at the top of the page.

6)  Mods come from all over the world. Most are bilingual (native tongues and English).
Kevin View Drop Down
General
General
AE Editor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2007 at 05:37
Also I have suggestions to help improve our already excellent website and forum as well.

Website Wise

.Would it be possible to add a 21st century section to the History Articles section? I personally think this would be beneficial since the 21st Century is rapidly becoming a radically different time in many ways then the 20th century and other past centuries and it would be inappropriate to place articles relating to this era in History somewhere else along with the fact that with the world we live in at the current time why a 21st Century section would be highly recommended by me for All Empires.

Forum Wise

. I was thinking how much it would add to the Forum if we added an alternate history section for serious and scholarly discussions on this are of historical study.

. Also I would like to possibly see a future studies section to address the future politically, economically, socially and militarily as our future has as much an impact on us as our past and present do.

. I also think it would be pretty neat if we also had an AE library if we could hammer out the details of it. 

Well this is what I would like to see, Anybody else have thoughts on my ideas?  

Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2007 at 05:43
My first question Kevin:
 what do you mean by AE library?
Kevin View Drop Down
General
General
AE Editor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2007 at 06:11
Originally posted by Dawn

My first question Kevin:
 what do you mean by AE library?

Not an actual physical library of course, But a place with e-books(with prior granted permission) as well as books and other various writings by members, and sources and links. 
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2007 at 06:28

let me think on these suggestions for a little while. They have alot of merit. I just got to figure out what is possible.

Kevin View Drop Down
General
General
AE Editor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2007 at 06:50

let me think on these suggestions for a little while. They have alot of merit. I just got to figure out what is possible.

I think the 21st Century section for the Website holds the most merit and the one that I would like to see the most.
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2007 at 07:42
The 21st Century is still only 7 years young. Bit soon. I think current events covers that pretty well.
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2007 at 15:43
he's refering to on the main site where there is not a current affairs section not the forum
Kevin View Drop Down
General
General
AE Editor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2007 at 16:11
Originally posted by Sparten

The 21st Century is still only 7 years young. Bit soon. I think current events covers that pretty well.

Even though it's young, There is still alot to write about it in articles on the Main Site.

Edited by Kevin - 10-Dec-2007 at 17:59
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2007 at 16:16

Ok my bad. Well thats up to Dawn and her team of Estonian smurfs.LOL (cue rider on the first plane to pakistan with a cutlass)

Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2007 at 16:33
well I see no problem adding it except that I must have articles first so are you up to the task Kevin?
Kevin View Drop Down
General
General
AE Editor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2007 at 16:41

well I see no problem adding it except that I must have articles first so are you up to the task Kevin?

Ok, Can do!Wink

I have many I can think of to write
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2007 at 18:56
excellant
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2007 at 01:10
Originally posted by Kevin

Even though it's young there is still alot to write about it in articles on the Main Site.

We have the modern history forum. (World History from 1918 to the 21st century). Maybe it would fit if the wording was changed from "to the" to "into the". 

As Madness would ska - One step beyond!
Kevin View Drop Down
General
General
AE Editor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2007 at 18:02
Originally posted by Seko

Originally posted by Kevin

Even though it's young there is still alot to write about it in articles on the Main Site.

We have the modern history forum. (World History from 1918 to the 21st century). Maybe it would fit if the wording was changed from "to the" to "into the". 

As Madness would ska - One step beyond!

The 19th Century has it's own section on the main site, So why not the 21st Century?
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2007 at 18:08

Could you give us examples of 21'st century topics that would not fit under Current Affairs?

Kevin View Drop Down
General
General
AE Editor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2007 at 18:30

Could you give us examples of 21'st century topics that would not fit under Current Affairs?

It's just that it would be deserving and interesting to see the 21st Century have it's own section for articles on the Main Site, There are plenty of examples of things we could put in ths section, For example I'm currently writng an essay on Radical Islam an it's place in the 21st Century.       
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2007 at 19:28

I will talk it over with the Admins and see if we should include 21'th century issues in Modern History, create a new thread or leave such discussions for Current Affairs.

Kevin View Drop Down
General
General
AE Editor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2007 at 19:38

I will talk it over with the Admins and see if we should include 21'th century issues in Modern History, create a new thread or leave such discussions for Current Affairs.

I'm talking about a section for such issues on the main All Empires magazine site though.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 14>