Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shogun Total War Thread

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shogun Total War Thread
    Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 21:20
I just felt we needed a thread for this particular game.
Member of IAEA
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 08:24

Does anyone have a difficult time playing the Oda Clan?  I alway try to play them and it's hard as sin because they are surrounded to the east and west by enemies and two provinces in their own region are occupied by the Iko Ikki who have warrior monk armies that can kick the crap out of any Yari Ashigaru army.

Also, for spearmen, do you build Yari Samurai or Yari Ashigaru?

I build Yari Samurai because Yari Ashigaru are such cowards they're worthless.

Member of IAEA
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 09:12
Originally posted by Genghis

Does anyone have a difficult time playing the Oda Clan?  I alway try to play them and it's hard as sin because they are surrounded to the east and west by enemies and two provinces in their own region are occupied by the Iko Ikki who have warrior monk armies that can kick the crap out of any Yari Ashigaru army.

Also, for spearmen, do you build Yari Samurai or Yari Ashigaru?

I build Yari Samurai because Yari Ashigaru are such cowards they're worthless.

Funny you should mention it, I just played a game with the Oda, expert level. As always, I try to use the "historical" composition of armies, and as the Oda the majority of my armies consisted of ashigaru - yari and musketeers. I did have some cavalry and no-dachi for supportive use, but maybe 70-80% were ashigaru. Used correctly - and with good generals - they can kick any army (and most of the opposite armies are about 5-6 times as expensive to produce!). I owned every province west of Kaga-Hida-Totomi, and only the Hojo and the Uesugi (my allies) remaind. Then I quit, because of lack of time.

But yes, Oda are among the hardest to play.

Edited by Styrbiorn
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 12:32

Funny that the Oda would be the hardest to play, yet they succeeded in real life.

I only just got this game yesterday. So far, I am trying to learn the political/economic stuff, so I haven't touched battle yet. I will have to try the Oda clan next, though.

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 15:18
I best it first as the Oda, because I made myself, I have also beat it as Hojo, Useigi, and Shimazu, I like Shimazu best because they are GREEN.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Mast View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Mast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2004 at 07:39
I like Shimazu because of their starting position, but their armies are a bit boring. Useigi (sp?) have more interesting specialities.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2004 at 09:22

Hojo, Takeda and Shimazu are those I've beated it as. Shimazu is the easiest so they're boring. What I miss is campaign multiplayer, that would be really awesame (but something would need to be done about the battles though, so it doesn't take ages - maybe only playing a battle when a human daimyo is present or human-vs-human).

Edited by Styrbiorn
lars573 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote lars573 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2004 at 18:24
I've beat shogun as most factions, except the Usegi clan. The Hojo, Shimazu or the Takeda always kick my ass as them.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2005 at 19:35
Just reinstalled it, and its buggy 
Sound, namely the havest announcer is bugged, and like clockwork on the third harvest, the game freezes.
All other sound works.
With sound muted, the game goes on, but CTD when i accepted an agreement with the Portugese.

Got the patch.
Updated the sound drivers.

Still bugged.
Pisses me off.
Also totalwar.org is slow, and not that helpfull i find.
Arrrgh!!"
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2005 at 15:18
also noticed that, though less buggy here, but it crashes in the last battle of the Kubilai Khan campaign for no reason, this is VERY annoying.
 Post Reply Post Reply