Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Finno-Ugrian impact on Russian ethnos

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 29>
Author
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finno-Ugrian impact on Russian ethnos
    Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 01:57
Originally posted by Tuohikirje

Why Kari would be mispelled? The name is found in Runes also (Östergötland). Kari is a man's name in Finland. Also kari is an islet in a river or lake, Veps kar, originally borrowed from Old Norse sker propably. I'm not a professional in linguistic research however.

But it's not Kari it's Karn.
Σαυρομάτης
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 02:06

Kari and Karn (would fit Finno-Ugric), definitely there are FU people among names. I would like to remind that how the names were given, written, who wrote and when has to be considered. They do not reveal the ethnicity. Clearly you can see the Slavic and (Orthodox?) influence in the latter list allready.

Yes, there are some Slavic names in the second treaty, but nothing close to Orthodox influence. All the names seem originally and indigenously pagan to me.

Well, in fact it's obvious that those names do reveal ethnicity. You wouldn't find any other "Russian" names like these in later Ancient Rus chronicles. In fact it's somehow shocking for Russians to discover what were the first "Russian" names mentioned the first international treaty Russia ever signed.
Σαυρομάτης
Torsten Stålhandske View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Torsten Stålhandske Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 10:20
Originally posted by Sarmat

Well, in fact it's obvious that those names do reveal ethnicity. You wouldn't find any other "Russian" names like these in later Ancient Rus chronicles. In fact it's somehow shocking for Russians to discover what were the first "Russian" names mentioned the first international treaty Russia ever signed.

Some of the old Slavic names in chronicles are modelled after the Old Norse fashion. Infact the names ending with -volod show clear adoptation of Old Norse (or "Finnish") naming tradition. Examples: Vse-volod (all-power) , Finnish example Kaikki-valta (all-power). Old Norse word valda has meaning "to rule, to have power", Finnish language yet today carries the word and the exact same meaning.

I can understand the schock these names can cause in larger public. Especially because of the highly ridiculous normannist vs. anti-normannist thing that has been going on for way too long.

Does anyone have any information about tribe called Meschera ? Somewhere near Moscow ?

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 10:59
Originally posted by Torsten Stålhandske

Some of the old Slavic names in chronicles are modelled after the Old Norse fashion. Infact the names ending with -volod show clear adoptation of Old Norse (or "Finnish") naming tradition. Examples: Vse-volod (all-power) , Finnish example Kaikki-valta (all-power). Old Norse word valda has meaning "to rule, to have power", Finnish language yet today carries the word and the exact same meaning.
Finnish valta is a loanword from Germanic though. When did the word start appearing in names?

About Kari/Karn. It was spelled "Karn" in the Russian text. My guess that it should have been "Kari" instead was a pure guess and shouldn't be taken so seriously.
Tuohikirje View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Tuohikirje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 11:18
Metserät, Mescheran. Finno-Permic language extinct (not sure), they are are called Volgan suomalaiset, Volga Finns. http://www.hunmagyar.org/turan/mordvin/meshchera.html
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Torsten Stålhandske Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 12:56
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

Finnish valta is a loanword from Germanic though. When did the word start appearing in names?

About Kari/Karn. It was spelled "Karn" in the Russian text. My guess that it should have been "Kari" instead was a pure guess and shouldn't be taken so seriously.

It is an loanword from early stage of Germanic languages as it is found in all Balto-Finnic languages. It could be allready from Proto-Germanic (*walda), in any case older than Old Norse stage.

Oldest known literature name is Petrus Kakuwaldus de Finlandia (early 1200's) which is attaested in the Livonian Chronicle. There are older insciptions found in Novgorod birchbarks but the jury is still out how those names should be translittered.

Interesting study about Finnic names in Novgorod birchbarks

http://www.slav.helsinki.fi/nwrussia/eng/sbornik2008/saarikivi.pdf

With Old Norse fashion I mostly ment how the names are formed, from two parts. Typical east Old Norse names have two separate parts, like Thor-Björn. Old Finnish names from that period often (but not allways!) had similar form Iki-Päivä (Forever-Day) and so on. Vse-Volod follows the same pattern.

Karn resembles a lot of Balto-Fininc Kaarna (Bark). Especially when we consider that the Rus' inscriptions were made into birch bark, Bark would be a good name for a clerical officer.
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Tuohikirje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 13:52
Somebody mentioned that names tell the ethnicity. In my opinion, they do not. Can you with 100% certainty say, who is Svea, Balt, Finn, Slav. About Kari/Karn. Is Karl not Karly? Many people mention Oleg/Olga to be a Scandinavians names. Are they, what about Chud Olha, who founded the palace in Kiev. 
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Tuohikirje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 14:06

Originally posted by Styrbiorn

It is an loanword from early stage of Germanic languages as it is found in all Balto-Finnic languages. It could be allready from Proto-Germanic (*walda), in any case older than Old Norse stage.

Oldest known literature name is Petrus Kakuwaldus de Finlandia (early 1200's) which is attaested in the Livonian Chronicle. There are older insciptions found in Novgorod birchbarks but the jury is still out how those names should be translittered.

Interesting study about Finnic names in Novgorod birchbarks

http://www.slav.helsinki.fi/nwrussia/eng/sbornik2008/saarikivi.pdf

With Old Norse fashion I mostly ment how the names are formed, from two parts. Typical east Old Norse names have two separate parts, like Thor-Björn. Old Finnish names from that period often (but not allways!) had similar form Iki-Päivä (Forever-Day) and so on. Vse-Volod follows the same pattern.

Karn resembles a lot of Balto-Fininc Kaarna (Bark). Especially when we consider that the Rus' inscriptions were made into birch bark, Bark would be a good name for a clerical officer.

This is also my understanding that Finno-Ugric loans are old also because they have stayed in their original form (to a large extent) in our language. Kaarna was the exact thing what I would have linked with Karn. Actually Tuohikirje means birchbark.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 14:17

Somebody mentioned that names tell the ethnicity. In my opinion, they do not. Can you with 100% certainty say, who is Svea, Balt, Finn, Slav. About Kari/Karn. Is Karl not Karly? Many people mention Oleg/Olga to be a Scandinavians names. Are they, what about Chud Olha, who founded the palace in Kiev. 

In this regard this is the most logical conclusion. If those names don't reveal ethnicity how would you explain that the later names from the Russian chronicles are mostly Slavic in origin? It just proves the thesis that Varangians/Rus were assimilated into the mainstream Slavik culture.

Edited by Sarmat - 07-Feb-2009 at 14:17
Σαυρομάτης
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 14:23

May be Vsevolod was indeed influenced by Old Norse in the "volod" part. But there is actually an indication that 2 parts' names have ancient Slavic origin. For example, names like Sviatoslav, Ratibor, Ratmir, Boleslav etc.
Σαυρομάτης
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Tuohikirje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 14:47
I thought 2 part family names are Slavic and also I do not understand how the names you listed have 2 separate parts (e.g. Finnic Mieli-Vilja, "spirit-grain". Could you explain since I have no knowledge of Slavic names.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 15:41
These names basically consist of 2 words: Sviatoslav  (Sviato-Holy; Slav-Glory), Ratibor (Rati-Battle, Army, Warroir, Bor-struggle, fight), Ratmir (Rat-battle, warrior, Mir-the world), Boleslav (Bole-Great, Slav-Glory)  etc.
Σαυρομάτης
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Torsten Stålhandske Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 15:46

May be Vsevolod was indeed influenced by Old Norse in the "volod" part. But there is actually an indication that 2 parts' names have ancient Slavic origin. For example, names like Sviatoslav, Ratibor, Ratmir, Boleslav etc.

How about those names ending -slav ? I have understanded that it means "famous". Example would be Volodslav (Power-Famous), also Volodimir (= Vladimir) has Volod as part of the name.

You wrote that Russians get a small shock when first time encountering the names of "early Rus'". How about descriptions of Rus' livelihood described by Ibn Rustah ? Are those excerpts generally known in Russia ? I would think that they would cause even greater shock, considering that the Rus' were slave traders and main source for slaves were the east Slavic tribes.

Here is a nice map I have about tribal situations during reign of Vladimir I

There are some errors in it, like placing Chud' only into what is now Estonia, also giving Slovenes much larger territory they had.

Slovene were urban people, mostly living inside the walls of Veliky Novgorod. They lived in the same "End" as did the Rus', called the Slavno. Other original Ends were Nereva's End, inhabited by Finnic people Nereva, possibly related to Merya and  Lyudins End, inhabited by local Finns (Chud') and Krivichi. Largest of these Ends was the Lyudins End. Varangian mercenaries lived on the other side of the river Volkhov in their own camps. I guess it was a wise decision not to allow them in the city.

Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 16:01

How about those names ending -slav ? I have understanded that it means "famous". Example would be Volodslav (Power-Famous), also Volodimir (= Vladimir) has Volod as part of the name.

The primary meaning of "Slav" is glory. It indeed has some secondary meaning as "famous" but these meanings are somehow interconnecting it basically means "glorious for smth."
I believe Volodslav or Vladislav should mean the one that posses glory. Vlad means "to posses "to have."

You wrote that Russians get a small shock when first time encountering the names of "early Rus'". How about descriptions of Rus' livelihood described by Ibn Rustah ? Are those excerpts generally known in Russia ? I would think that they would cause even greater shock, considering that the Rus' were slave traders and main source for slaves were the east Slavic tribes.  

As you correctly noted, the results of Normanist vs Anti-normanist struggle are actually widely visible among the general Russian public; cause most of it isn't actually aware of the above case. Moreover, most of them would think of Rus as somekind of ancient, mighty Slavic warriors without any connection to Germanic/Scandinavian or other people what so ever. While in fact, it's clear that Slavs and Rus were not the same.

Edited by Sarmat - 07-Feb-2009 at 16:02
Σαυρομάτης
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Torsten Stålhandske Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Feb-2009 at 17:09

As you correctly noted, the results of Normanist vs Anti-normanist struggle are actually widely visible among the general Russian public; cause most of it isn't actually aware of the above case. Moreover, most of them would think of Rus as somekind of ancient, mighty Slavic warriors without any connection to Germanic/Scandinavian or other people what so ever. While in fact, it's clear that Slavs and Rus were not the same.

I can understand the Anti-Normannist position to certain degree. Normannist school went so over the top at some point, backlash was just matter of time. Neither were really interested about the truth, rather beating the opposite position with more fantasies.

One of the funny things is that Rus' homeland at Rosl*gen is still widely cited. There is no proof and absolutely no need for such "distant homeland". The Rus' were amalgamation of people from southern Ladoga and banks of Volkhov. Obviously they came to Aldeigju from multiple different places, but their home was there, thats where their families lived and where they were buried. Not some rocky coastal district in Sweden.

Here's incredible study by Håkon Stang (Oslo University), good read, an massive package about naming of the Russia:

http://www.clanrossi.com/the%20naming%20of%20russia.pdf

It's allmost completely free of normannist/anti-normannist controversy. It lacks some of the more recent archeological finds, as it is written allready 1996. Good read still.

Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2009 at 00:50
Good article indeed. Thanks for posting!
Σαυρομάτης
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Torsten Stålhandske Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Feb-2009 at 13:28
Nice article about Mechera people, they lived near what is now Moscow

http://www.egorievsk.ru/eng/press/meshchera.html

According to this the Meschera intermingled with Slavic group (Vitiachi?) and their decendants were/are called Meshcheryaks.

Apparantly some of their folk customes are still alive, at least as tourist attraction. I have never visited those soils but one day I must. This is too intriguing.
Boreasi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Boreasi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2009 at 02:49
Be good or be gone.
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Tuohikirje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2009 at 14:42
A 100% Normanist approach. Great prince of Finland and never heard of the man. Viking
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Tuohikirje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2009 at 15:06
Mysterious Ancient Sepulchers Discovered under Staraya Ryazan

Researchers suppose they belonged to an ancient civilization that appeared long before the Slavic population. Experts call these tribes Ryazan-Okski and attribute them to the Volga-Finnish branch of Finno-Ugric peoples.

Initially the archeologists thought the tribes had come here from the East. However the traces of material culture of Ryazan-Okski tribes are indicative of their relation to the German tribes of Goths. This likeness can be found both in details of national costume and their weapons. Besides, the researchers managed to establish that heads of Ryazan-Okski tribes had worn crowns of almost the same type as Gothic kings. On the assumption of this one can assume that the local tribes were in a military alliance with the Goths.
The Sarmatians, Sarmatae or Sauromatae (Old Iranian Sarumatah 'archer'[1], Greek: Σαρμάτες) were a people of Iranic origin[2][1]. Mentioned by classical authors, they migrated from Central Asia to the Ural Mountains around fifth century B.C. and eventually settled in most of southern European Russia, Ukraine, and the eastern Balkans.

Pliny the Elder (Natural History book iv) wrote that the Latin Sarmatae is identical to the Greek Sauromatae. At their greatest reported extent these tribes ranged from the Vistula river to the mouth of the Danube and eastward to the Volga, and from the mysterious domain of the Hyperboreans in the north, southward to the shores of the Black and Caspian seas, including the region between them as far as the Caucasus mountains.[3] The richest tombs and the most significant finds of Sarmatian artifacts have been recorded in the Krasnodar Krai of Russia.

The old name of Paraćin in Serbia was Sarmatae.

It is perhaps no coincidence that the boundary between the so-called Centum-Satem isogloss in the Indo-European languages apparently split at the European border of the Sarmatians.

Around the year 100 BC, Sarmatian land ranged from the Barents Sea or Baltic Sea ("Oceanus Sarmaticus") to a tributary of the Vistula River, to the Carpathian Mountains, to the mouth of the Danube, then eastward along the northern coast of the Black Sea, across the Caucasus to the Caspian Sea and north along the Volga up to the polar circle.

The Sarmatians flourished from the time of Herodotus and allied partly with the Huns when they arrived in the fourth century AD.

Sarmatian tribe Gythones and their origin the Guti were native to Gutium, presumably in the central Zagros Mountains, almost nothing is known about their origins.

The oldest history of the Gutar is retold in the Gutasaga. The legend goes that they descended from a man named Þjelvar who was the first to discover Gotland. Þjelvar had a son named Hafþi who wedded a fair maiden by the name of Hvitastjerna. These two were the first to settle on Gotland. Hafþi and Hvitastjerna later begat three children by the name of Guti, Graipr and Gunfjaun. Coming to manhood and after the death of their parents, the brothers divided Gotland into three parts and took each one part, but Guti remained the highest chieften, and gave his name to the land and its people.

(What geneology and other research tell about Gothland is another story than the above saga).

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 29>