Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Battle at Kosovo Polje/Kosovo Field; 1389

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battle at Kosovo Polje/Kosovo Field; 1389
    Posted: 18-Jun-2007 at 14:23
Originally posted by Kapikulu

Originally posted by Earl Aster

Wasn't he killed in Samarkand by Tamerlane soon after his soon Murad took the throne?

1. Bayezid died with his own fate in captivity, not killed.

Bayezid commited a suicide in Samrkand because he wasn't able to stand constant humiliation at the Timur's Royal court anymore. Timur put him in the iron cage, so Bayezid killed himself by breaking his head against the cage's bars.

Edited by Sarmat12 - 18-Jun-2007 at 14:23
Σαυρομάτης
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2007 at 15:59
Originally posted by Sarmat12

Bayezid commited a suicide in Samrkand because he wasn't able to stand constant humiliation at the Timur's Royal court anymore. Timur put him in the iron cage, so Bayezid killed himself by breaking his head against the cage's bars.

There are speculations on this matter that has been turning around for years, the poison hidden inside his ring story being the most common, but as far as I know, none of them are proven yet and still only a speculation.

And at later phases of his captivity, it is accounted that Tamerlane treated him very well due to his personal respect, despite humiliating him in the first phase of his captivity.
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2007 at 22:03
it appears, bayezid i might have been injured in the battle of cibuk plane near ankara
he was carried around in a specially made bed placed between two horses

months after the battle, still in anadolia,
there was a big party, a multiple wedding, involving among others
timur's grandsons marrying bayezid's daughters

perhaps, at the same ceremony, two lazar's granddaughters had been married to timur's grandson and son of the timur's general, respectivelly
girls mother, lazar's youngest daughter olivera, might had served wine to her husband bayezid,
which appeared rather strange to some of timur's entourage

some dervish wrote proudly to have had succeeded in converting olivera to islam

bayezid expired during the night of 1403.03.(08-09) in Aksehir Anadolia,
probably of internal injuries sustained in battle(s)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2007 at 23:28
kosovo polje 1389 June-September

let assume ottomans were able to come near kosovo polje with an army of about 40000
they came from the east and secured all territories south of danube and east of (velika morava, juzna morava), including mountains just east of kosovo polje around novo brdo

thus, to put in field about 40000 men, ottomans needed resources from a huge territory of south eastern balkans and bigger and reacher asia minor,
i.e., rumelia and anadolia

it would be a common sense to expect from their opponent(s) to have similar resources at his_their disposal
who the opponent(s) of ottomans might had been ?
vranakonti View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote vranakonti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2007 at 19:52
Of course both armys were multiethnical.For example even italian soldiers are mentioned as mercenarys in the ottoman army. 

Edited by vranakonti - 22-Jun-2007 at 19:54
Ti Shqipri m ep nder...
kurt View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote kurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2007 at 00:29
Originally posted by svantoVID

it appears, bayezid i might have been injured in the battle of cibuk plane near ankara

perhaps, at the same ceremony, two lazar's granddaughters had been married to timur's grandson and son of the timur's general, respectivelly
girls mother, lazar's youngest daughter olivera, might had served wine to her husband bayezid,
which appeared rather strange to some of timur's entourage

some dervish wrote proudly to have had succeeded in converting olivera to islam

I have never heard of this. Are you making this up? Where did you learn this? I have heard a wide range of accounts regarding Bayezid, the battle of Ankara and his captivity under Timur, but never have i heard this.
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2007 at 11:31
Originally posted by svantoVID

From where have you created those illusions LOL
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2007 at 16:18
one could start with von Hammer, follow his references, expand ...
(at least some) knowledge of arabic, ottoman, persian ... would be beneficial
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jun-2007 at 20:51
Originally posted by vranakonti

Of course both armys were multiethnical.For example even italian soldiers are mentioned as mercenarys in the ottoman army. 

yes
as a part of the preparation for the battle,
murad signed treaties with venice and genoa (pera)

on a number of occasions, including during earlier wars between venice and genoa,
murad rented to venice a few thousand archers
venice were returning the favor
obviously, such things were rather secretly done, nothing in writing ... only some post action reports by third parties

navaresse, catalans, condottieries ...

florentines in greece were on good terms with evrenos beg
yet, officially, they were vassals of d'anjou louis > maria > tvrtko ?

anyone knows any detail about firenze_florence - tvrtko connections ? correspondance ?
Larus View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Larus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2007 at 08:27
 First of all, battle at Kosovo in 1389. was nowhere near as important as the battle of Marica some twenty years earlier. Combined Serbian and Bulgarian forces outnumbered Turkish troops in that particular battle, but  thanks to the military brilliance of Sahin Pasha Turks won the battle which was crucial for the further development of war.
Serbian knights at Kosovo fought bravely together with their Christian allies and they weren't defeated as the popular culture says today- most likely it was a tie, since Turks retreated immediately after the battle just to bring reinforcements later and force Serbian nobles to become their vassals who suffered loses alike their enemies but were not able to recover in numbers for future stuggle.
Regarding Milos Obilic, that person never existed- it is a mythical hero created in popular literature thanks to Marvo Orbin, historian from Dubrovnik, many years later. How did Amurad/Murad/Murat died is very hard to say. Maybe he was killed by his son, maybe he was killed prior to the battle or after the battle since most historians agree it was impossible for an enemy to approach his tent during the battle. As far as his killer is concerned the only contemporary person to the battle of Kosovo who ever claimed to be the killer of the Sultan was King Stefan Tvrtko I of Serbs and Bosnia and the Seaside and the Western Lands.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2007 at 21:10
tvrtko's letter to the municipality of trogir from 1389.08 appears to be the ONLY direct and contemporary source about the battle

the letter is written in latin, and tvrtko simply wrote, among others, something like

I defeated the Infidel at kosovo

later, he gave the full credit to his Commander-in-Chief Veliki Vojvoda Vlatko Vukovic Kosaca, and explained, that although fully involved on the organization level, and financing, he (Tvrtko) did not personally go to kosovo polje

tvrtko's statements are in full agreement with logistic of events occuring before and after the battle

interestingly, it appears, between august and october, when tvrtko received the answer(s) from florence to his letter(s),
the news about murad's death and 12 brave men, like 12 disciples, started spreading ... etc
as like someone was spinning the story

florence official(s) congratulated tvrtko on his victory, the excellent news,
which they confirmed via independent sources

lazar was not mentioned at all, as if, he did not participate on tvrtko's winning side ? or played rather minor role ?

at least some ottoman sources from 15 ct mention that murad died between the end of august and beginning of september of the same 1389
those reports used lunar islamic calendar, which is more natural than gregorian one, thus less prone to errors

this appears to be in full agreement with the logistics after the battle

same sources also mentioned saruce pasa, who, days or weeks after the battle, captured lazar who was then on the run,
most probably around novo brdo area ?, which was still under the control of retreating ottoman armies

Larus View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Larus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 06:27
 What he also mentioned in his letters along with "defeating the infidels" was that he personally killed Murad (source- Rade Mihaljčić, "Junaci kosovske legende", page 10, BIGZ, 1989, Beograd).  Certainly, this was a propaganda, but I just mentioned it for the sake of my previous argument regarding the myth of Milos Obilic and the battle itself.  On the other hand, any one of his subjects fighting the battle could've easily been the one who killed Murad and according to the standards of that era killing would be attributed to Tvrtko himself. Certainly, these statements do not prove a thing, so they can only be treated as pure speculation, but I found them interesting enough to be mentioned.

svantoVID-I didn't however had the opportunity to read those Ottoman sources regarding the battle of Kosovo, so I would appreciate if you could mentioned a few in order for me to look them up (I'm sure most of them are available in English). I must admit this is the first time I heard about Lazar's capture "after the battle while fleeing" and would be eager to learn more about it. 
As for your statement regarding Tvrtko "not mentioning Lazar in his letter"- well, that has probably nothing to do with one's importance on the battlefield but rather the fact that Tvrtko had it's eyes on vacant Serbian throne and logically recognized Stefan Lazarevic as the arch rival. Therefore, he had a good reason not to mention his father.
Cheers,
Larus

Edited by Larus - 27-Jun-2007 at 06:29
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 21:44
Tvrtko already had been crowned the legitmate king of Serbia and Bosnia, maybe his status as King made him omit Lazar as a mere prince doing his bidding among a whole pack of noblemen he had already sent out to Kosovo to participate in the battle.
Larus View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Larus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2007 at 04:23
Legitimate king of Serbs and Bosnia, you mean? ;)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2007 at 23:53
Originally posted by Larus

Yes indeed, however, it still does not mean that "Serbs" applies to Bosnia now does it Wink
Larus View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Larus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2007 at 11:39
Originally posted by es_bih

Yes indeed, however, it still does not mean that "Serbs" applies to Bosnia now does it Wink

Certainly not! Concept of the nation is something rather contemporary and has nothing to do with the middle ages, therefore I'm not nor I ever will try to imply something like that here or anywhere else. Tvrtko belongs to all Bosnians regardless of their national or religios background, but that's another story. 
This is going so offtopic- in order to correct that-  my ONLY point was, Tvrtko wanted to be the sovereign of the territories on the east and it was perfectly legitimate to the standards of the time since he was the closest living relative to the Nemanjic dynasty.  But he didn't have factual rule over the territories once controlled by Nemanjic dynasty. That is why he saw Lazarevic/Hrebeljanovic as a potential opposition. That's all I wanted to say.
Cheers,
Larus
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jul-2007 at 12:12

svantoVID-I didn't however had the opportunity to read those Ottoman sources regarding the battle of Kosovo, ...
Cheers,
Larus
in addition to my Private-e-Mail to you ...
one may consult (listed in alphabetical order) Creasy, Fine, Gibbon, Hookham, Inalcik, Jirecek, Lamb, Obolensky, Runciman, Setton, Skrivanic, Tomac, von Hammer Purgstall (books, then follow references, expand ... )
ottoman sources (it appears, at least parts have been translated into english, slavonic) such as asikpasazade, nesri, ...
however, it is not easy to translate old local sayings and biblical_kuranic expressions and meanings,
without thorough understanding of geopolitical situation of the times in question
there are excellent archives, mostly in latin, such as vatican, venice, angevin_naples, arpad_hungarian, ragusa_dubrovnik, aragonese_castilean_portuguese,
byzantine (archives and writers) in old greek,
and ottoman and their eastern neighbors, mostly in persian, arabic ...
HEROI View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote HEROI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jul-2007 at 04:50
I dont belive the battle of Kosovo to be so important.Inded the secont battle of kosovo is even more important.
Me pune,me perpjekje.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2007 at 15:26

Certainly not! Concept of the nation is something rather contemporary and has nothing to do with the middle ages, therefore I'm not nor I ever will try to imply something like that here or anywhere else. Tvrtko belongs to all Bosnians regardless of their national or religios background, but that's another story. 
This is going so offtopic- in order to correct that-  my ONLY point was, Tvrtko wanted to be the sovereign of the territories on the east and it was perfectly legitimate to the standards of the time since he was the closest living relative to the Nemanjic dynasty.  But he didn't have factual rule over the territories once controlled by Nemanjic dynasty. That is why he saw Lazarevic/Hrebeljanovic as a potential opposition. That's all I wanted to say.
Cheers,
Larus

I agree.
Josip View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Josip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jul-2007 at 17:56
Originally posted by miki015

Our proverb say : "What belong to other we dont want,but what belong to us we will not gave to others!"

Lies, so typical of a Serb. Centuries of your imperialism attempts speak otherwise. In last 15yrs alone, you have waged wars and had conflicts with most of your neighbours.

Not only that, but you're also ungrateful. When Turks conquered Serbia and nearby regions, you fled to Croatia, and populated the lands which bordered with Ottomans. Instead of saying thanks, few centuries later, you started saying that was always your land and it should belong to you, and then you invaded us. Disgusting.

And please spare us the nationalistic propaganda in this thread, no myth of yours will override historical facts. Your nation is the only one i know of in the whole world, which celebrates a lost battle as a national holiday.

but,with faith in God,that Holy warriors and Martyrios block the way and protect the Europe...

Croatia protected Europe 20x better than Serbia did, so what's your point? Serbia got thrashed and conquered, while Croatia resisted and was doing the contribution for centuries, even being called by Pope "antemurale christianis", the bulwark of christianity. Of course, tactics used were mostly asymetric, such as these:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uskok

Originally posted by Bulldog

I really cannot believe what I have just read, is this what is taught in Serbia about this war?

Yes. And about many other things. Welcome to Balkans. This is the credo: "Repeat something 100x, and it will become the truth."

You obviously are a Serbian nationalist

How long did it took you to figger that out? :)))) Just look at how he presents the arguments: "it was 2v1, we pwnd Turks, and nothing can be known of this battle that says something bad about us... whooops someone else has historical data? I deny!" :)
The scent of flowers does not travel against the wind but the odour of good people travels even against the wind; a good man pervades every place. The perfume of virtue is unsurpassed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>