Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Battle of Gallipoli - who won?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
kurt View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote kurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Battle of Gallipoli - who won?
    Posted: 22-May-2007 at 07:04
hmm i disagree kapikulu; when i went to turkey it seemed like it was entirely about pride to me. what with mustafa kemal's famous line: " i do not order you to fight, i order you to die!", and the fact that the powers of europe thought the ottomans a push-over and the turks barbarians, the victory is an entity of pride and self-justification to turkey. theres an entire section dedicated to the battle in one of the museums i went to in istanbul
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2007 at 07:12

What If russia did not fall to communism? Most Probably If Ottoman failed to early, Russia would not become communist.

So what would we do? when half of east and north anatolia was under Russian rule..

I think gallipolli war was more important than even independence wars.

Lets not compare russia and greece.

Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2007 at 07:19
Originally posted by kurt

hmm i disagree kapikulu; when i went to turkey it seemed like it was entirely about pride to me. what with mustafa kemal's famous line: " i do not order you to fight, i order you to die!", and the fact that the powers of europe thought the ottomans a push-over and the turks barbarians, the victory is an entity of pride and self-justification to turkey. theres an entire section dedicated to the battle in one of the museums i went to in istanbul

I think I was misunderstood or I couldn't express myself clearly.

The reason of fight in Gallipoli was not a pride/shame competition, but to save the country.One of the elements of the victory can be pride for sure, and it may be a battle to be proud of, however the reason Gallipoli was defended cannot be solely pride/shame status in front of other European states, as one other forumer stated.
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
PanzerOberst View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote PanzerOberst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2007 at 07:32

If we're to stick with the question, my vote goes to an Ottoman victory. No matter what the cost to the turks, they failed the allied plan of achieving their strategic aims.  

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2007 at 07:50
Originally posted by kurt

could it be more plain who won? even if the higher casualty rate meant anything significant in terms of victory, we should remember that the ottoman army was over one million men, they could afford these losses.

give or take 30% casualties of their entire force is a strategic victory?

from what i gather, the theater was a 'win or die' situation for the ottomans, and for the allies basically just somewhere to put spare resources to work which would have no effect on the western front.
Peteratwar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2007 at 10:40
The thread asks 'who won the battle of gallipolli'?

The aim of the Allies was to breakthrough the Dardanelles, capture Constantinople, set up a supply channel to Russia and ideally knock out Turkey.

They failed to achieve this. Thanks to their poor planning (nothing to do with WSC) and the courage of the Turks they were repulsed.

They lost. The Turks won
Joinville View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Joinville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2007 at 11:25
Originally posted by zealo

from what i gather, the theater was a 'win or die' situation for the ottomans, and for the allies basically just somewhere to put spare resources to work which would have no effect on the western front.
It was just about the only daring strategic initiative in WWI - to become able to boost the Russians through the Black Sea - and it failed.

As for the use the Anzac troops could have been put to on the western front, they would have relived the French in 1915. They were pretty much fighting Germany alone there, which casualty-wise made it the worst year of the entire war for them. That would have left a French army in better shape by 1917, without the setback and casualties at the Dardanelles.
One must not insult the future.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2007 at 11:31
Part of the reason the ANZACs were sent to Gallipoli is that they were practically all new recruits, the Turks were seen as a softer target for them to practice on first rather than the highly professional Germans. Plus, the ANZACs were expected to be better adapted to the hot conditions in which they would be fighting the Turks. Plus the simple fact that Egypt was the ANZACs training ground, located conveniently close to the Ottoman Empire.
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2007 at 17:54
Originally posted by zealo

Does giving casualties change the outcome of the battle? Not really...It was not such a basic operation for Allies. It was the largest naval operation and amphibious assault ever been undertaken by them. Considering the toughness of amphibious strike and transportation and supply of a total of 300,000 soldiers...Grand operation, and would have great impacts if succeeded.

1- Strike over Constantinople would have become possible and puff,Ottoman Empire out of war.

2- Bulgaria would not have entered the war, and many other countries(mostly Balkans) would be attracted to enter on Allied side at an earlier phase... Pressure from the south without Bulgaria+Ottoman Empire, and the British-French-Russian forces battling against Ottoman forces shifted to Eastern and Western Fronts...Balance of war would change

3-Russia would be supplied, yeah, and Tsarist regime might have been successful and it is much serious as that we might not have seen the October Revolution.

Would have an effect that would change the 20th century history as a whole.

Edited by Kapikulu - 23-May-2007 at 18:03
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Kamikaze 738 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Kamikaze 738 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2007 at 18:48
Originally posted by Kapikulu

3-Russia would be supplied, yeah, and Tsarist regime might have been successful and it is much serious as that we might not have seen the October Revolution.

Would have an effect that would change the 20th century history as a whole.

Now, thats some stratagic victory LOL
Joinville View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Joinville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2007 at 11:58
Originally posted by Kapikulu

It was not such a basic operation for Allies. It was the largest naval operation and amphibious assault ever been undertaken by them. Considering the toughness of amphibious strike and transportation and supply of a total of 300,000 soldiers...Grand operation, and would have great impacts if succeeded.
It was also just about the only operation of WWI which was studied with fervent interest in WWII, as there war loads of things to be learnt from it by the Allies.
One must not insult the future.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2007 at 23:23

Well. Firstly the Turks won.

Secondly, this operation was meaningless in strategic sense. In fact, Russia didn't need those "supplies"

The aim of the operation was more cunning than it seems. Churchil, who was the author of the whole plan, simply wanted to get his hands first on the straits between the Black sea and Mideterranean.

Although according Entente agreement, Russia was supposed to get the straits after victory of the allies, Britain didn't want it to happened due to the long historic suspicion about the real Russian intentions.

British simply thought that with their army stationed in Constantinopole after the victory, they will have better postion for the renegotiation of the original terms of Entente agreement in their favor.

That's why this operation was actually opposed by Russia.

The fail of Galliopoli was actually the biggest fail of Winstone Churchil ever, since a lot of lives and resources were lost for nothing

Σαυρομάτης
Kerimoglu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kerimoglu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jun-2007 at 03:59
Haha, the only topic in the forum I see, everybody agrees with each other, even persians and Greeks. Thats way too good.

This forum helps us develop ourselves, BTW, Upto 500 Azerbaijan Turks died in gallipoli and Chanakkale wars.
History is a farm. Nations are farmers. What they planted before will show what is going to grow tomorrow!
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2007 at 06:25
No, No, No.

Nothing so devious as that.

It was simply what it set out to be nothing more.

It failed. Churchill as Minister at the time honourably took responsibility for the failure.

However, the planning was poor, the security was poor, the liaison between the branches of the UK armed forces was poor, the execution of the project was poor.

None of these were Churchill's responsibility.
Burdokva View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Burdokva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2007 at 06:57
What amazes me is how few fatalities the French have out of a total 40 000 casualties, especially compared to the ANZACs, who lost 1/3 of their men.
A possible loss at Gallipoli would certainly have been a catastrophy for the Central Powers.
Unity makes Strenght
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2007 at 08:09

It was a mistake by Churchill (as much as I admire him) and the allies, for all their bravery, got beaten in that they failed to achieve a result. As for planning a major troop ship got sunk by a mine because the minesweeper was sailing behind and not in front.

It would have been cheaper to go the table, negotiate and have paid the Turks to let the fleet sail through. But that is using hindsight. Eventually the talented Kemal Ataturk who had commanded the Turkish resistance came into power. The Ottoman Empire collapsed but he saved Turkish dignity and led the country into years of peace and prosperity
elenos
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2007 at 09:05
Originally posted by Burdokva

What amazes me is how few fatalities the French have out of a total 40 000 casualties, especially compared to the ANZACs, who lost 1/3 of their men.
A possible loss at Gallipoli would certainly have been a catastrophy for the Central Powers.

I think I can safely assume that the war could have ended in something like late 1916 if it succeeded...
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2007 at 09:36
Originally posted by elenos

It was a mistake by Churchill (as much as I admire him) and the allies, for all their bravery, got beaten in that they failed to achieve a result.

The mistake was in planning and execution and not concept. The bickering between the various branches was largely to blame. Guess Churchill learnt from that when the COS committee was set up for WWII
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2007 at 10:04
Peteratwar said "The mistake was in planning and execution and not concept. The bickering between the various branches was largely to blame. Guess Churchill learnt from that when the COS committee was set up for WWII"

Touche! If you put it that way then I must agree.
elenos
andrew View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2007 at 10:27
Of course the Turks won, they were unprepared but it doesn't take much thought in order to realize if the Dardanelles Straits are taken your done. The Turks used heavy German weapons and machine guns to beat back Allied attacks on their fronts. The Allies practically landed on cliffs make their men easy target for Turkish snipers and heavy artillery. It's like America not taking Japan seriously and going straight for Tokyo, the plan is doomed from the start. The Allies failed to realize two major things: 1. Turks using modern German weapons and 2. The location of which the Allies were trying to land.

I found a documentary from the Allies perspective (apologies hyperlink doesn't work):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR5uHmoUReQ
(Battle of Gallipoli - Part 1)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0kvxTzHtzg
(Battle of Gallipoli - Part 2)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85uj9jpCp24
(Battle of Gallipoli - Part 3)

Edited by andrew - 25-Jun-2007 at 10:31
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>