Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Multinational forces

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Multinational forces
    Posted: 16-May-2007 at 13:47
Hello you hunky strong militarist folks!

I was wondering except the Eurocorp and (maybe) the French/English aircraft carrier, are there any other unit with mixed authority?

And how the hell does it work? For instance, would the French/English aircraft carrier have gone to Iraq?
I am a free donkey!
Peteratwar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2007 at 04:25
Which aircraft carrier is that ?

Or are you talking about some possible one in the future ? If and when or ever the EU becomes a single working/workable entity ?
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2007 at 09:22
In terms of standing military forces I can't think of any.

You have situations such as East Timor, where Australian police and soldiers both train and go into combat with the newly created Timorese forces. But this is designed to be a temporary measure until the Timorese can handle their domestic situation on their own. I suspect the US in Iraq follows exactly the same policy.

Historically, Australian and New Zealand soldiers have been integrated into single combat units when serving overseas. This unity continued right up into the Vietnam War. These days, though, New Zealand is less militarily funded and less militarily active.
aghart View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote aghart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2007 at 11:57
NATO had the ACE  ( Allied Command Europe) mobile force which was a brigade strength unit made up from numerous countries which was earmarked to be deployed either to Norway or Turkey in the event of war with the Soviet Union.

The real aim of "ACE" was to ensure that soldiers of all NATO countries would die if the Soviets attacked only NATO's flanks (hoping to pick us off bit by bit) and prevent any country from sidestepping it's commitment that an attack against one is an attack against all.

Edited by aghart - 17-May-2007 at 11:58
Former Tank Commander (Chieftain)& remember, Change is inevitable!!! except from vending machines
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2007 at 12:20
Some information about the ship
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/europe/dpa.htm
and about the eurocorp (and the French-German brigade)
http://www.eurocorps.net/organisation/subordinate_units/german_french_brigade/

Basically, I don't know if you remember but a year ago some report said that considering it geo-strategical position Europe was ill-equiped. That the number and the diversity of tanks was too high. Never mind if France uses Leopard or Germany Leclerc as long as both have compatible equipment.
The idea is why not a French-German-Belgian-Dutch-Italian-Spanish-Portuguese-whatever esle army, it would save money, entrench cooperation at a diplomatic level and increase the efficiency.
I am a free donkey!
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2007 at 21:39
many time they have tried to develop weapons together and it either fails or become slow and expensive due to the politics of who makes what, who is in control etc.

the multinational Euro only force idea is a good long term goal, as is a rationalization of its defence industry.

another example of multinational co-operation at the military level is the dutch marines and the UK's Royal marines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_Royal_Marines

Edited by Leonidas - 17-May-2007 at 21:41
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2007 at 07:35

France and Britain are only looking at a joint design for an aircraft carrier, not joint ownership. Besides, when Gordon Brown becomes British Prime Minister, it would not surprise me if he cancels Britains new carriers.

Ill just mention the European Air Group, a European organisation aimed at improving co-operation between firstly Britain and France and now 7 European nations.

A spin off from that was two adhoc European deployments. The European Participating Air Forces, made up of 18 F-16s from Denmark, Norway and the Netherlands that deployed to Manas in Kyrgyzstan to support operations in Afghanistan in 2002.

Its follow up was the 1st Netherlands-Norwegian European Participating Forces Expeditionary Air Wing (1 NLD/NOR EEAW) that sent 12 F-16s (8 Dutch and 4 Norwegian) to support the expanded NATO-ISAF mission in southern Afghanistan in 2006.*

Also, part of Eurocorps is the even more integrated Franco-German brigade. It has deployed to Kosovo and part of ISAF in Kabul, Afghanistan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franco-German_Brigade

Separate from Eurocorps is EUFOR. EUFOR took over from NATO in Bosnia in 2004 and consists of 7,000 European troops (and some from other countries). It is not a single unit, like the Franco-German Brigade or an ad hoc unit like the EEAW, but just thought I'd mention it. it is a slow step towards Europe taking on more of its security obligations.

http://www.euforbih.org/

Edited by Chwyatt - 23-May-2007 at 07:44
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2007 at 10:46
Thx

I can't wait to see all that waist stopping. Lets rationalise all that, Europe will be stronger and it's gonna be cheaper!
I am a free donkey!
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2007 at 10:53
I'm not very much into armies and all that, but I do know the Dutch and German armies are very cosy with each other... No idea how far the affair goes, though I seem to remember that they do have some shared organisation.

On the humorous side: during joint exersice (we dont have room for it, so the Dutch have to practice in Germany), the biggest difference is that the Dutch are too informal to their officers for the Germans taste, and the Germans too authoritarian for the Dutch... Wink

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2007 at 06:30
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

I'm not very much into armies and all that, but I do know the Dutch and German armies are very cosy with each other... No idea how far the affair goes, though I seem to remember that they do have some shared organisation.

two new weapons come to mind, with this partnership.

Fennek Armed Reconnaissance Vehicle

and something the British pulled out of, and just coming into service

the Boxer APC

Edited by Leonidas - 24-May-2007 at 06:31
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2007 at 13:00
The european battlegroups are all multinational.
There is a balkan battlegroup, for example, that consists of greek, bulgarian, romanian and cypriot units.

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2007 at 04:41

As well as the Balkan Battlegroup, there are two other multi-national battlegroups. There is the Spanish Italian Amphibious Force of Spanish and Italian Marines and the Nordic Battlegroup (Swedish, Finnish, Estonian and Irish (and Norwegians, although they are not an EU nation)).

More info on the EU Battlegroups

http://www.isis-europe.org/ftp/Download/Battlegroups%20FINAL.pdf

These are small units for short deployments. A larger force for longer periods is the European Union Rapid Reaction Force (EURRF)

The EU Battlegroups and the EURRF though are not suitable for major offensive military operations, but for peacekeeping or peace-enforcement operations and non-combatant evacuation operations.

Similar to the EU Battlegroups is the larger NATO Response Force

Recent NATO Response Force exercise

http://www.manw.nato.int/pdf/NATO%20Response%20Force%20-%20Noble%20Mariner,%20Noble%20Award%20Kindred%20Sword.pdf

Post Reply Post Reply