Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Korean War

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
aslanlar View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote aslanlar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Korean War
    Posted: 12-May-2007 at 15:11
I have an exam on this subject in the coming days and i was wondering if anyone could give me a quick recap of the main events on the Korean War.
Dates would be appreciated. I've looked around on the web but there isn't a good site i could find that said it in detail enough (not that i am searching for pages, just a good summary).
I will only have to write a few pages on 3 different question (2hours worth).
1.) Describe (e.g. describe the events leading up to the Korean war)
2.) Explain (e.g. explain why North Korea attacked when it did)
3.) Debate (e.g. The Korean civil war was a turning point for the Cold War. How far do you agree with this statement?)

Obviously they are just examples, and i don't know the questions that will come up in the exam, but i was hoping people would get the jist of what i needed and could answer me in required detail.

Thank you in advance.
LuckyNomad View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote LuckyNomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2007 at 02:16
1. The Korean War of 1950-1953 came about because Korea was divided against its will. Because the Soviet Union and United States had both occupied half of the country, they did not want their half to come under the influence of the other. In the 1940's most Korean people weren't too concerned with politics, they're number one concern was that Korea would be 1 country. The Korean War was a Civil War. In 1950, there were no Soviet or US soldiers in Korea. The leader of N.Korea and the leader of S. Korea both wanted to unify the entire country.

2. The North Attacked in 1950 because in 1949, with Mao's victory in the Chinese Civil War, tens of thousands of North Korea soldiers returned home. Also, the US seemed indifferent when the Chinese Nationalists were being defeated. At first, Kim Il Sung thought he could take over South Korea by way of an indigenous communist insurgency(much like the VC in South Vietnam). But many high level South Korean leaders were openly calling for an invasion of North Korea and at the same time, the US was making statements that indicated that it didn't care what happened to South Korea. So Kim Il Sung thought he could take over all of Korea before the US could react.

3. It was a turning point because it showed that the US would fight to defend its allies. It also meant that the US would rearm. It showed that conventional wars would still be fought and that Nuclear retaliation would not be America's first reaction on aggression. Because of the war, President Truman began America's involvement in Vietnam and also decided to defend Taiwan from a Communist invasion. Japan began to rebuild it's industrial strength and a few years later, West Germany was also reinstituted as a Western ally.

Hope this is helpful
aslanlar View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote aslanlar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2007 at 09:41
ohk..thanks a lot, appreciate it :) Hopefully i go good in my exam tomorrow:)
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2007 at 10:29
Again, checking some good history books or internet source should be the way to find these kind of answers. Heck, even wikipedia works for simple questions like that.

But of course, good luck with the exam. (I wish I had that kind of exam...)

Edited by pekau - 16-May-2007 at 10:30

Join us.
 Post Reply Post Reply