Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Aceh

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aceh
    Posted: 05-Feb-2009 at 14:34
interesting... acheh wear different way .. the sampin.. a little bit complicated (how they
compare to us in Malaysia..
HangPC2 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote HangPC2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2009 at 07:36
Marechaussee Klewang (Cutlass)

During the Aceh War the acehnese klewangs proved very effective in close quarters combat with Dutch troops and the Royal Netherlands East Indies Army adopted a heavy cutlass, also called klewang, to counter it. Mobile troops armed with carbine and klewang succeeded in suppressing Aceh resistance where traditional infantry with rifle and bayonet had failed.

Aceh Weapon

Sultan & Acehnese Noble

Peudeueng Peusangan (Hulu Meu Apet)

Sarung Peudeueng Peusangan

Peudeueng Peusangan (Hulu Tumpang Beunteung)

Peudeueng Panjang (Hulu Tumpang Beunteung) Hulu Buaya

Sarung Peudeung Panjang

Aceh War Flag

Sources:

“Blanke Wapens” by JG Dieles

HangPC2 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote HangPC2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2009 at 07:31
Marechaussee (1904)

An Aceh fort after capture by the Dutch in a 1901 photograph (1904)

Gunungan, Kutaraja ''Banda Aceh'' (1874)

HangPC2 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote HangPC2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2009 at 07:27
Sultanate Of Aceh Darussalam Flag

Aceh Flag : Alam Aceh (Atjeh) , Alam Peudeueng , Alam Zulfiqar

(1496 - 1903)

Government flag Aceh, named ALAM ZULFIQAR those made by Sultan Ali Mughayat Shah (First Sultan Aceh) old his leadership is from year 916 - 936 H (1511 - 1530)

Meriam Lada Sicupak (Aceh)

Acehnese Cannons Used During Fight Again Portuguese And Dutch

Malay / Aceh Firearms

# Pemuras (Malay / Aceh Decorated Traditional Gun)

# Bedil Istinggar (Malay Flintlock Musket)

# Tarkul

# Karga (Bullet Case)

Pendekar Aceh (Aceh Warrior)

Sultanate Aceh Guard (Nias Island)

Tore The Dog View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Tore The Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2008 at 21:44
Originally posted by Sander

These Acehnese were so though to subdue that there is a monument in the Netherlands for the general ( Van Heutzsch ) who finally could early 1900's.

I dont know much about the Aceh conflict of last decades ( or now ) but its older history is intresting though.

What is now a large state Indonesia was usually a blanket of many independent of small and larger states, rivalling each other. In the 1700's and 1800's some of these states had been subdued by the Dutch while many resisted untill the 1900's . One of these states was the islamic sultanare of Aceh in north of Sumatra, Indonesia.

short history :

Aceh ( in older times called Samudra -Pasai ) became an Islamic sultanate in the 1200's because the ruler converted ( acording to the chronicles due contact with Persian traders ). They became strong propagaters themselves and from there islam expanded in the region, mostly by peaceful means. For example , the ruler of citystate Malacca ( in Malay peninsula ) across the straits, became muslim because he married a princess of the sultan of Pasai ( Acheh) in the 1400's . Others in this region followed but inspite bloodrelations, brotherhood ideals etc all these sultanates were often great rivals /enemies.

When the portugese came in the 1500's they managed to get some footholds in the Malacca straits region. In 1511 they had conquered the capital of Malacca sultanate ( 1511 ) in Malay peninsula and they also gained a foothold in Acheh. This proved to be short and in 1523 they were defeated and ousted by Achenese Sultan Ali Mughayat Syah.

In the 1600's Acheh grew dramitically in power. It became a well organized state and important islamic entre of learning . It had a strong organized army with a large fleet equipped with cannons etc. It also became the most important entrepot for muslim and other foreign traders. It was rather Acheh than the Portugese, that controlled the straits making Portugese Malacca decline in importance.

All this time Acheh and the Portugese were having countles battles in wich to protect their commercial interests . The portugese attempted to conquer Aceh several times but without succes.  The Achenese on their turn beseiged and bombed Portugese Malacca several times( see picture below ) but without desired result either.

Inspite all the wars with the Portugese, Aceh itself became an imperialist power in the region and conquered several sultanates in Sumatra and Malay peninsula up to southern Thailand ..

Because of expansionist wars, its rival the Johor sultanate ( extreme south part of Malay peninsula) alliied with the Portuguese . Together they inflicted a defeat on Aceh in a naval battle ( A few years later the same Johor sultanate sided with the Dutch to defeat the Portugese in Malacca by which Malacca fell in Dutch hands in 1641 ). After this battle Aceh had lost its possesions in Malay peninsula but it kept an an independent and significant power.

Its interesting to note that Acheh had good contacts with the Ottomans. In fact, due to their common aversion against the Portugese, the Ottomans send weapons (guns and cannons ) to aid them. An intresting fact is that Acheh eventually produced cannons and guns as well and supplied others with it , for exampe the Sultan of the Maledives (Male ) who defeated the Portugese with cannons casted in Acheh.

In the 1800's the 2 main colonial powers in the region were the Dutch and The British . They signed a treaty (1824 ) in wich Aceh would fall in the Dutch influence sphere. 

Eventually, the first Aceh war war started in 1873 . The Dutch were defeated and several commanders ( like general Kohler ) were killed. Kolonel van Daalen made the Dutch army withdraw. ( see Van 't Veer , the Atjeh oorlog, 1980 )

The events were a great shock for the Netherlands, so everything had to be done to conquer it. The next year the Dutch started a new war and invaded the place (1874 ) with 10.000 soldiers. They captured the capital Banda Aceh (Kotaradja ) but this had been abonded the nights before and the war went on in the outer regions without much result for the Dutch. Little more than 50 square kilometer was controlled. ( Van 't veer 1980)

Around 1900, after some 30 years of costly wars, the state of Aceh had still not surrendered and Dutch control was limited to a few coastal cities. Now the 4 th Acehwar (1898-1910 ) started. The new Dutch general Heutzsch had a new "strategy" . Part of it was random killing of civillians ( including children and women) by which the local population would be decimated ( Van 't Veer , 1980 ).

The "Van Heutsch method " ( maybe not much different from genocide) combined with the capturing of some guerilla leaders finally worked. The reigning Sultan Tuanka Daud Shah gave in. In 1903 he signed the treaty by wich it would be loyal to the Dutch crown.

Several guerilla groups did not agree with this treatyand some resistance continued untill World War II making Aceh a region which was only partly pacified.

The war endured some 4 decades, costed some 10.000 Dutch lives , more than 100.000 Achinese, biggest part civillians ( ibid ). Ironically, 40 years of war were needed to make it Dutch possesion for about the same duration.

references :

Paul van 't Veer, De Atjeh-oorlog, De Arbeiderspers, Amsterdam, 1980.

Acording some rumors in the last Atjeh war , was a Swedish-American gunslinger whit Atjeh rebbels and teached them in to modern rifle war , have just rumors that he was "challenged" by a dutch nco an won the duell , after this he was warned by rebbel activists that dutch will arrest him for counter espionage , and joined these "rebbels" to the verry end.

After war ended, they helped him to escape to Singapore and back to alaskan goldfields.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2007 at 15:26
@ Sanders
wow,,thanks for the articles.

@HangPC
the petition od the letter pics not so clear, bro. :(
HangPC2 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote HangPC2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2007 at 23:53
Originally posted by Mil_Spec

Thank you very much HangPC2. These are great. Excellent documentation on the links among Turks, Acehnese and Malaysians. Where did you get these from?

Sources : -

http://www.e-aceh-nias.org
HangPC2 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote HangPC2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2007 at 23:50

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2007 at 13:58
Thank you very much HangPC2. These are great. Excellent documentation on the links among Turks, Acehnese and Malaysians. Where did you get these from?
HangPC2 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote HangPC2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Aug-2007 at 01:47

HangPC2 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote HangPC2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2007 at 11:00
Lela Replica Lela Rentaka And Lada Sicupak Canon

Adopted Ottoman Canon Technology

kurt View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote kurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jun-2007 at 08:37
Originally posted by Mil_Spec

Well, apparently you were not aware that the founding father of the Ottoman Empire was a Turk.

Osman Beg, son of Ertugrul Beg, was a member of a Turkish tribe called Kayi tribe. Therefore, when there is a talk about Ottoman presence, this automatically implies Turkish presence.

I am well aware of the turkic origins of the Osmanli State, however, this does not correlate such that every region in which there was Ottoman rule there exists a turkic population. How many turks are there in Algeria, Tunisia, Oman, Yemen, Saudi Arabia, Ukraine, or some of the other 40 or so countries which now exist in former Ottoman territory? Besides which, typical turkic migration via steppe wars could not have occured considering the island of Java is indeed an island, which is why i was so perplexed. Nor was i aware that the Ottomans actually colonized any land, so i assumed that turkic populations would not have Ottoman origin. Nontheless, thanks for informing me.

By the way, i went to Topkapi palace last ecember. I just hope i can go to Dolmabahce palace too sometime in the future.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jun-2007 at 07:02

Well, apparently you were not aware that the founding father of the Ottoman Empire was a Turk.

Osman Beg, son of Ertugrul Beg, was a member of a Turkish tribe called Kayi tribe. Therefore, when there is a talk about Ottoman presence, this automatically implies Turkish presence.

When the Ottoman Navy came to help the Malays against the Porteguese, they settled also in the south of Malaysian peninsula (today's Johor), north of Java, west of Kalimantan (today's Borneo) in addition to north of Sumatra (today's Aceh). As you may imagine, all of them were young sailers away from home for several years. Quite naturally, they ended up with marriages with the locals. Their grand-grand children are still living in this geography.

Besides, third PM of Malaysia late Tun Hussein bin Onn had been proud to have a Turkish-Malay mother. He was born in Johor in 1922. You can read more about this under http://www.primeministersofmalaysia.net/3.php

Also, you can get more information on Turkish presence, or, Ottoman presence as you prefer, in the Pacific Rim from Topkapi Palace archives in Istanbul. They are open to researchers from all over the World.

Edited by Mil_Spec - 26-Jun-2007 at 07:26
kurt View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote kurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2007 at 06:42
hang on a second - turks in Aceh? how the hell did turks, of all people, get there? Did the ottomans send turkmen there like they did when they conquered the balkans? Did turkish tribes migrate of their own accord? This turkish factor in acehnese history is coming as a revelation to me ...
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2007 at 08:42
I have heard the same story that Sander explained in deep detail when I was in Kuala Lumpur between 1993-1998. In 1996, during one of the receptions at the Turkish Embassy, I was told that a few people arrived at the gate of the Embassy at Jalan U-Thant and claimed that they were escaping from the Indonesian armed forces suppressing the Aceh insurgency and actually they were the grand sons of Turks. When the guard started laughing about this claim they produced a very very old Ottoman Navy flag to prove their identity. This was the first time I was aware of Ottoman - Aceh link. I digged out the history stuff and found out exactly what Sander summarized in his notes. Many thanks to Sander for his crisp and detailed summary.
Sander View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator

Quote Sander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2007 at 17:59
Originally posted by kurt

thanks sander, the extent of your knowledge on this topic is amazing. you said before that Aceh was the supreme power in south east asia in the 1600s, more powerful then the portuguese in fact. do you think they owe that period of supremacy to the ottomans and the assistance they provided?  

Well..Not more powerful than Portugese perse but rather more dominating the Malacca straits.  

Originally posted by sander

When the portugese came in the 1500's they managed to get some footholds in the Malacca straits region. In 1511 they had conquered the capital of Malacca sultanate ( 1511 ) in Malay peninsula and they also gained a foothold in Acheh. This proved to be short and in 1523 they were defeated and ousted by Achenese Sultan Ali Mughayat Syah.

In the 1600's Acheh grew dramitically in power. It became a well organized state and important islamic entre of learning . It had a strong organized army with a large fleet equipped with cannons etc. It also became the most important entrepot for muslim and other foreign traders. It was rather Acheh than the Portugese, that controlled the straits making Portugese Malacca decline in importance.

So. Aceh ousted the Portuguese from sumatra but the Portugese kept a base on the other side of the Malacca straits( Malacca) . Nevetheless, this fortress and their fleets were under constant siege of the Acehnese , greatly undermining and damaging Portugese commercial activites there. Next to this, Acheh's port could take over  Portugese Malacca nr. 1 position as most important regional port of call for foreign traders. So when speaking about Acheh dominance over the Portugese, its to be understood in this context and limited to the Malacca straits.

The Aceh people were the main factor behind their succes ofcourse. The alliance and the fact they recieved /bought weapons  from  the Ottomans in the 1500's was a factor that contributed to it. 

Edited by Sander - 04-Jun-2007 at 18:36
Restless Land View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Restless Land Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2007 at 01:19
Originally posted by Sander

UndoubtelyAceh 'smore orthodox practicing faciliated the contacts. But I ve the idea that without beeing more strict some alliance might have been established as well.

100% Agree!, Fretilin (East Timor), RMS (Moluccas), GPM (Papua) were heavily aided by foreign contry (i cannot verified this one, but it's an open secret) while Atjheirs saw very little help. Actually the orthodox roots only applied on some part of atjeh. Many part are also liberal in some way. My father village was a mixture of chinese and atjheirs, and all those chinese friends of my father regard themselve as atjheirs and speak atjeh language. They live along together and see themselve as one single entity. But i also konw that in other part there were news of minority intolerance
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Restless Land Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2007 at 00:52
Most people in Indonesia regards Atjheirs as restless people, some of Indonesians respect them a lot and infact inspired by them while other see them as rebellious ethnic groups.

The rebellion take roots since Ducth collonialism and still continuing today (though politically).

Before hand please take note that i'm not a history expert and most of my knowledge came from elder people or friends

I personally think the Atjeh movement have very little to do with islamist but heavily on the nationalist side. There is one funny unverified stories that islamist fundementalist from Java tried to convert Atjeirs to make some kind of united islamic front to battle USA but in respond the Atjheirs told those people not to tell them what islam is and what islam are. Atjeh has been long regarded as the front door of Mecca

in the tsunami event, a lot of rebels die and this backward significantly the freedom movement. If i'm not mistaken a comprimise is reached in Helsinki that Atjeh rebels will put down their gun for an extensive autonomy. Again if i'm not mistaken the current governor of Atjeh is a former Rebel officer.

Please take note that i've heard a lot of massacre in Atjeh done by either the military or the rebels. But as many Atjehirs recount, most of them are done by military.

I myself is a universalis, but i do know that my ancestors land had seen many people die in atjeh, at some point almost extinc (Massacre and Tsunami)

Most minorities in Atjeh is related to west sumatrans or north sumatrans ethnic groups. One elder said to me that Atjeirs consist of mixture of many ethnic groups. They said that ACEH was an acronim for Arabs,Chinese,European and Hindustani. I myself see atjeh people from dark negroid feature to Caucasoid one. But all in the same tribe. Some look like dravidian in southern india while other look like chinese. Most minorities probably include indonesian ancestry origin. this is true in southern part of atjeh. At some time ago if i'm not mistaken, after the Helsinki - the sothern part make a delegation to Jakarta wanting to make a seperate province (this is all minority with indonesian origin or ancestry) but were neglected by Jakarta.

I'm sorry if i'm saying anything without any citation, i'll try next time - along the way please correct any of my assertion if i'm wrong
kurt View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote kurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jun-2007 at 00:06
thanks sander, the extent of your knowledge on this topic is amazing. you said before that Aceh was the supreme power in south east asia in the 1600s, more powerful then the portuguese in fact. do you think they owe that period of supremacy to the ottomans and the assistance they provided?

restless land, please tell me all you know about the independence movement of aceh, what are their ideals and political orientation (communist, nationalist, islamist?), tell me what ethnic minorites exist in aceh and the history of this independence movement. how do you yourself feel about aceh and its future?
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Restless Land Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jun-2007 at 22:39
Hi All,

This is my first post but i've been reading this site for quite sometimes (especially the steppe forum).

I my self is half Athjeirs and very suprised to see a forum about my ancestors land.

In any case, i'm not an history expert but do love to read it. Maybe i can help giving my view on the current situation on Atjeh but much of it maybe loosely base on urban legend or unverified source.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>