Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greatest king of the Dark Age

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: Who do you think is the Greatest King of the dark age ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
31 [23.85%]
5 [3.85%]
3 [2.31%]
2 [1.54%]
2 [1.54%]
2 [1.54%]
28 [21.54%]
2 [1.54%]
1 [0.77%]
11 [8.46%]
43 [33.08%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Balain d Ibelin View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Balain d Ibelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greatest king of the Dark Age
    Posted: 04-May-2007 at 20:22
Like my Former Poll of Crusade Generals.....

But this time

DARK AGES

Edited by Balian d'Ibelin - 26-Jun-2007 at 08:12
"Good quality will be known among your enemies, before you ever met them my friend"Trobadourre de Crusadier Crux
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 21:25
Not sure what great means, but I presume it means the most ruthlessly, selfishly successful.

In that case it would probably be Cnut.
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2007 at 02:40
This is neither fun, nor fair, becuase i like more than one.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2007 at 04:36
Justinian and Charlemagne can hardly be classed as 'of the Dark Ages'. Neither can Hardrada or, pace Paul, Cnut.
Melisende View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Melisende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2007 at 05:21

And Stilicho was a general not a king.

"For my part, I adhere to the maxim of antiquity: The throne is a glorious sepulchre."
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2007 at 05:52
I'm not sure who he means by "Schlitcho" - I don't recall any Vandal general by that name...
Balian, in saying "Schlitcho" are you referring to Stilicho? If so, Stilicho was a Late Roman Imperial General, of Vandal descent. He was quite a good commander actually, and is often ignored.
Also, what do you mean by the 'dark ages'? I'm a bit confused as to what time period is being referred to. Justinian shouldn't belong in any 'dark age' era, and the same applies for several others on the list. Hardrada was in the 11th century AD, 6 or 700 years after people like Attila.
Could you please clarify which era you are covering by saying 'dark ages'? Thanks Smile

From the list though, I'd have to say Justinian was the greatest 'king' (ruler) - he definitely had a keen eye for brilliant generals. Closely following would be Charlemagne probably...

- Knights -

Edited by Knights - 05-May-2007 at 05:53
Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2007 at 05:56
Don't know any King from the Dark Ages (1100 BC - 750 BC). Embarrassed
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2007 at 06:16
Originally posted by Frederick Roger

David?
Krum View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Krum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2007 at 09:30
At least you could put Krum in the list.He was definitely one of the greatest rulers and military commanders in the early medieval period.
It is only the dead who have seen the end of war.
Plato
Tar Szernd View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Tar Szernd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2007 at 11:56

Or it could be Ardarik, king of the gepides, who destroyed the hun power in Europe.

(but from the list: Attila!!!:-)
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2007 at 12:45
The Frankish kings were probably the most progressive among the Germanic successors to the Roman Empire in this period, but they don't really compare well to the Byzantine emperors.

The "winner" of that list is easily Justinian, by any standard other than subjective fancy.
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2007 at 23:28
I had to pick one, so i picked Emperor Justinian The Great. BUT, I also wanted to pick Charles Martel, not becuase of the battle of Tours, but becuase of everything else he accomplished during his illustrius reign.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2007 at 01:13
In terms of sheer greatness and magnificence, I would have to choose Justinian. Not only for what he accomplished during his reign, but also for the fact that he so undermined its fundamental strengths that his successors had no opportunity to improve on what he had built.
Melisende View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Melisende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2007 at 03:06
Alfred "the Great"
"For my part, I adhere to the maxim of antiquity: The throne is a glorious sepulchre."
Praetor View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Praetor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2007 at 04:16
half of those people are not from the dark ages and at least two were never the titular heads of thier state (martel and Stilicho).
My personal favourite would be Justinian and if he wasn't so paranoid and petty with his military resources to the point of creating major strategic problems he would definitly be my choice as he was an excellent judge of talent and a visionary reformer, during this time it hardly seemed like the dark ages to the byzantines.
I find myeself having to consider Charlemagne even though he is not a personal favourite, for the sheer volume of his achievements.
Finaly I believe that general (not king) Stilicho does not get the credit he deserves for his achievements as he is largely overshadowed by Aetius even though his record is more impressive, he is cetainly better than Alaric whom he faced in battle repeatedly and to my knowledge always won (mind you at least Alaric was a king).

Regards, Praetor.

Edited by Praetor - 07-May-2007 at 04:20
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 15:00
Harald Hardrada was king of NORWAY, not of 'vikings' as Viking is not a nationality, or region, or people. It is a word meaning pirate, or one who goes out raiding.

My personal favorite is Knut the Great, closely followed by Olaf Tryggvason. Others include Peppin III the Short, Clovis, Theoderic, Otto the Great and Offa of Mercia.

Edited by Aelfgifu - 09-May-2007 at 15:02

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2007 at 09:45

Of course, this is extremely subjective, and one would have to argue whether the Dark Ages is even a proper term. Assuming that we are talking about Europe in the period 476-1000, then I have a few other candidates which are just as deserving as the ones on the list:

Basil II Bulgaroktonos of the Eastern Romans
Theodoric the Great of the Ostrogoths
Abd Ar-Rahman III of the Ummayad Caliphate of Cordoba
Simeon of Bulgaria

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

John Kjeken View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote John Kjeken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2007 at 17:32
Harald Hardraade is a poor choice for a norse king...
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2007 at 00:01
Originally posted by Frederick Roger

king Romulus -753BC
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2007 at 00:07
The greatest king of the Vandals was Genseric 427-477 AD.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>