Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Book Club discussion- The Last king

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Book Club discussion- The Last king
    Posted: 04-May-2007 at 09:56
Time to talk- Lets start with first impressions,  what did you think of it.
Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Giannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2007 at 02:11
It was a nice novel, and pretty interesting.

I only new King Mithridates for his immunity in poison, but I had never considered him as a threat to Imperial Rome.

Michael Ford portatred Mithridates as a the protector of greek-persian heritage against a barbarian Rome, and even when he lose a battle he becomes more determined and stronger.

Give me a place to stand and I will move the world.
kilroy View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
AE Editor

Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2007 at 11:54
I liked Fords writing style, i thought the narrative moved along quite nicely and i was never bogged down through the book. 

However, i thought the book focused more on the myth of Mithridates than the actual person.  I thought the book could have stayed more true to history.   But with that being said, the book did stay true to some history quite closely.  An example would be when Ford correctly described the shovel and pick being one of the Roman's greatest weapons.  Also, i never thought Ford did a good job of explaining just why Mithridates hated Rome so. 

And while Mithridates did war with Rome for the better part of 4 decades, i still can't quite see him being Rome's most feared enemy.  Even during the reign of Mithridates at his height, Hannibal was still and always remained the 'boogie man.' 

Not the best fiction on Rome, but not the worst either.  I liked it. 

Edited by kilroy - 11-May-2007 at 11:54
Kilroy was here.
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2007 at 12:59
Like Kilroy I too find it difficult to credit Mithridates as Romes greatest enemy even though he caused them trouble for many years She faced far greater threats from with in but that another whole topic.

The book was well written,easily kept me entertained and offered one major advantage to the general public- being reasonably accuarate it offers a good introduction to a less known topic. So many books ( like a certain unnamed one involing the life of a certian roman dictator) are full of inaquracies and lead the public down a road of bs longer than the Via Appia.

So while we are on the topic of accuracy what did you find accuate and what was not so much so? 

Edited by Dawn - 13-May-2007 at 13:02
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2007 at 13:42
While scaning throught the book again looking for something to get this discussion going again I came across this statement:

"Marius had long ago shown us that the legionary has a weopon that is the bane of the civilized world,one more  formidable than the dual-edged short sword, one more effective than the bronze-headed javelin,....  this most fearsome of all weapons: The legionary's shovel" (page 246)

After I finished laughing I got to thinking - how accurate is that paragraph. Was the shovel that which won the battles? did it play that important of a roll in the life of a roman legionary? what do you think?
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2007 at 21:30
I didn't read the book, but I say the shovel is important for the Roman Legions. It built roads which were very important to move Legions. It built fortifications, whether large, or just to build a camp for the army, which was very well done to protect the Legionaries inside and could be abandoned the next day to continue a march I believe. The camps were so well done, that if a Corhort or Century performed bad in combat, they could be made to camp outside of it. So they had alot of confidence in what they made, enough to not being in it would be a serious punishment and give a feeling of being left to the wolves.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
 Post Reply Post Reply