Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Diplomatic Mistakes by Britain and France towards Hitler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Diplomatic Mistakes by Britain and France towards Hitler
    Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 13:02

Without doubt,the British and the French pursued a diplomacy of sedativeness towards Hitler during his invasion decisions of Czechkoslovakia and Austria...which encouraged Hitler diplomatically to ask for more.Diplomacy doent forgive sedativeness to be used against aggressive eladers.The dreams of protecting Eruope from a war fell.The truth was then understood...Chemberlain was no longer a hero..

Other mistakes to count down?

btw,do you guys find Hitler's diplomat successful from the aspect of Nazi interests?Joachim Von Rippentrop is who i am mentioning about...

Edited by TheDiplomat
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

boody4 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote boody4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 13:55
How about Britain letting the German navy become bigger (thus ignoring the Treaty of Versailles)?
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 14:49
Why didn't the Western powers take Hitler down in 1935 when the Wehrmacht was formed and the treaty was seriously broken. What the hell were they thinking, maybe that Hitler just wants to be friends with a bigger army and an airfoce.
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Roughneck View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Roughneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 16:44

One thing that you have to keep in mind was that both Britain and France had visions of trenches dancing in their heads, with millions upon millions killed for no gain, something they were desperate to avoid again.  That's the kind of war the Maginot Line was built for.  It was supposed to be extended to the coast, but Belgium raised hell about being on the other side of it, and so it was never extended beyond the French/German border.  also, it was believed at the time that France had the most powerful army in the world, and that they could stop whatever Hitler tried.  Not saying they didn't diplomatically screw up, but they had reasons to think the way they did.

Along that line of thought, if you want to know why Europe is pretty much pacifist today, World War I is the reason, the last time they were straining at the leash for war.

[IMG]http://img160.exs.cx/img160/7417/14678932fstore0pc.jpg">
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 17:14

"Why didn't the Western powers take Hitler down in 1935 when the Wehrmacht was formed and the treaty was seriously broken. What the hell were they thinking, maybe that Hitler just wants to be friends with a bigger army and an airfoce."

I recall that Hitler himself said that if the French and their Eastern European allies were smart, they would have invaded Germany before he became too powerful.

I think this is one of the only times in history we should say "If only we had listened to Hitler everything would have been great."

Member of IAEA
TJK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 17:21
I recall that Hitler himself said that if the French and their Eastern European allies were smart, they would have invaded Germany before he became too powerful.

..and this was excatly the marshal Pilsudski idea when he ask the French general staff about such action in 1934 (the mission of gen. Wieniawa to Paris ) ...French have refused the action thus Poland have signed the non-agression pact with Germany..
Tonifranz View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Tonifranz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 19:14
They underestimated Hitler and Germany, and they don't want war. That's why they committed so many mistakes.
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 21:04

I think the French and British (except for the "warmongerer" Churchill) failed to read their history and realize that force is the only thing that can stop mad men.

Member of IAEA
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 21:08

"btw,do you guys find Hitler's diplomat successful from the aspect of Nazi interests?Joachim Von Rippentrop is who i am mentioning about..."

I would say that Nazi diplomacy was very effective in giving Hitler his victories without blood and buying him time to build up his army.

Member of IAEA
Roughneck View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Roughneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 22:05
Originally posted by Genghis

"I think this is one of the only times in history we should say "If only we had listened to Hitler everything would have been great."

[IMG]http://img160.exs.cx/img160/7417/14678932fstore0pc.jpg">
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2004 at 17:25
you all forget one important thing, that is Stalinist Russia. back then, everyone was afraid they would push west and make everyone Communist. thus, they allowed Germany to become strong, Hitler and Nazi Germany should be the wall that shielded Western Europe from the Bolsheviks just like Rome did with the Foederati. Fascism back then was not regarded as bad as Communism by the western world so they went with the lesser evil.
Gallipoli View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Gallipoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2004 at 04:21

TWO MAJOR MISTAKES

1)I remember watching Neville Chamberlain land in London with a piece of paper in his hand...he had said "With this paper, Germany has guaranteed not to show agression against any country in Europe"

2)The French could not extend the Maginot line to the atlantic, not because of economic reasons, but because the British forced them not to. The Belgians did not want to get crushed between the Maginot and the Siegfried line. Belgium got crushed, UK got the air raids and France got capitulation....Happy`?

Gallipoli View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Gallipoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Sep-2004 at 12:18
Any other nice stories about their mistakes?
Abyssmal Fiend View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Abyssmal Fiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Sep-2004 at 16:24

Meh. Here's why I have a few opinions differing. I thank Hitler for proving once again that the Germans still have what it takes to kick half of Europe's ass, but at the same time, I denounce him for the senseless killing of people.

I think the major mistake made, if you wanted war to end, would just have to had Hitler "quietly" disposed of before he could write "My Struggle". That would have saved everyone alot of trouble. Then again, it would have screwed over Albert Speer, one of my favorite Architects of all time. And Heydrich wouldn't have died in an assassination attempt.

But I think the biggest diplomatic error made by Britian and France were screwed the Czechs over. A former Czech soldier, one who had alot to do with the Czech underground, almost as much as the one named "Franta", Jan Wiesser or something, said about his leaders "If only we kept the mountains. There we could have given the Germans a fight to remember, and, hopefully, put up enough of a fight to make Hitler try attrition, rather than sheer war. There was nothing we could do on the open ground.". Jan was the author of "The Assassination of Heydrich".

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2004 at 12:31

Your view on this is too one sided. You do not put yourself in the position of the british and the french during the inter war period.

These poliltitians, were not stupid and understood what was happening. what u must understand is the guilt F+B (france and britain) had over the whole reperations issue, which plundered germans into great suffering(hyperinflation 1923 and a major reason behind the post 1929 sufferings). The dawes and young plans eased reperations on germany and point to a greater understanding of germanys needs from F+B...more money for themselves to help rebulid infrastructure, and more importantly for this debate, a larger army than the 100,000 ordered in 1919 at versailles and an actual navy to defend itself.

As sovietJesus points out hitler had already made his inmtentions very clear in "mein Kampf", russia must be attacked and bolshevism destroyed. In the thirties russia was undergoing massive internal change with stalin stearing them to becoming a major power in the world through his collective farming and his five year plans. Bolshevism and stalinism as it had become was still something which conflicted directly with the way of life in western europe. If you may recall after  WW1 The British French Polish and Japanese went into russia to overthrow the Red's, but were defeated. The british and the french saw the nazis as an effective barrier against communism. the british and french wanted to get germany to attack the USSR or at least help defeat it, this suggests why the british and french refused Stalin's alliance proposal in the thirties (cant remember the year).

finally the, and probalbly the most significant of all the fact that th british and french armies and navys were underprepared for war and the policy of appeasment was masked by a huge reamrament effort inboth countries. It is fact that had germany have begun its war a year earlier it would have most probably defeated britain in the battle of britain and in its subseqent invasion. i agree that giving away the sudetenland then the rest of czekloslovakia is outragous in itself, compounded but the fact that they had an extremly effective army which could have caused hell for the germanys- but germany could too have brought a swift victory like they did in france when nobody expected it- the risk of czek faliure was too great for britain and france, who needed above all their army airforce and navy ready in case of this, as war begun in 1938 in the sudatenland could have had disasterous consequences...for it was britain reamrament in the late thirties which allowed them to survive the battle of britain and eventually drag the US into the war, which defeated the nazis. the US would have needed much courage going into battle against a germany which controled most of europe, with no friendly territory and supply line extended accross the atlantic, where wolfpacks lurked.

Basically their policy of appeasement was encouraging hitler, but needed to confront him militarily in the near future.

cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2004 at 13:13

Originally posted by Kalevipoeg

Why didn't the Western powers take Hitler down in 1935 when the Wehrmacht was formed and the treaty was seriously broken. What the hell were they thinking, maybe that Hitler just wants to be friends with a bigger army and an airfoce.

because,  then after Britain and France defeated Germany.. it would have been called an illegal war.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2004 at 13:58
Originally posted by Catt

Originally posted by Kalevipoeg

because,  then after Britain and France defeated Germany.. it would have been called an illegal war.

This would have been a legal war because the French and British could very easily use the treaty of Versailles (which was to be complied with until early 1980's) to back their invasion.

cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2004 at 15:23
 ahh, i see.   But Zulufrog, the U.S. and the British had the treaty at the end of the Gulf War that Saddam was supposed to comply with.. he didnt yet the recent Iraq war is called evil and illegal.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2004 at 16:10

but i rekon that the reason for which there is more controvercy about iraq is because WW1 was the war to end all wars- there they had a defined enemy who accepted their fault. there was more emotional envolvment as it was a world war and the entire nation was involved plus millions died.

what you are talking about and by that i mean iraq, you must acknowledge the legal international involvement in a very sensitive area of the world, compounded by a completely new chapter in world history, means that even when treaties which are being ignored or breached, it could not ever be as simple as it was then to introduce necessary measures. for example look at darfur how long it is taking for action there?

Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2004 at 17:14

Nevermind. Plesase delete this.

Edited by Evildoer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>