Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Curious Where Everyone Stands - help info

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
triple7allstar View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote triple7allstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Curious Where Everyone Stands - help info
    Posted: 01-May-2007 at 15:26

What are everyone's takes on the War in Iraq. I would love for some international voices to chime in. I would personally love to get an "International" view point.

Do you think America should stay and duke it out, continue to focus on setting up and facilitating a democracy? Or, do you think the US should pull out? If you do think America needs out - what are the reprocussions that you can forsee those actions having?

What is everyone's take on Israel? Pushovers? Not? Bush - bully?

How about this - the religion of Islam - fundamentally violent or not?

I'm very curious and trying to build my own opinions. Thank you all for your help.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2007 at 16:58
Here are my humble thoughts.
Considering they did not dread to start a war unlawfully and lying to their people and finally to completely mess up a situation that could have been handled more skillfully. Result: the leading team ought to be changed.
Setting up a scheme for withdrawl is stupid because if so violent groups in Iraq would have an horizon. If a withdrawl is to be decided it would have to be as discret and quick as possible.
The problems of a withdrawl are self-evident. What would have to be done is certainly a form of dialogue with the terrorists so the main issue (violence) can be partly solved. And hopefully these groups would start fighting each others (it worked in Northern Ireland, Spain and Algeria so no arm trying).
The war is surely draining very useful taxpayers money away from home which is not a good thing and make pretty certain that the number of troops in Iraq will actually drop by 2009 or even earlier. Afghanistan is a hot spot that also requires lot of attention.
It is sure that the US lost a lot there in term of image and diplomatic appeal.
Considering Israel, I'm guessing that they have other stuff to care about.
Islam fundamentally violent? Why? Obviously numerious Muslim countries are obviously peaceful not mentionning tens of million of peaceful Muslim individual. A bit as if I was asking: America fundamentally violent?
I am a free donkey!
konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2007 at 23:11
Tactically, the situation is a mess. If the US pulls out, Iraq will collapse and revert to open civil war. If the US stays, the price in lives,money and loss of allies will continue without any forseeable conclusion. That's why one should not start overseas invasions or go to war with the ease displayed by the US in the case of Iraq. Bush, Rumsfeld, Cheney, Wolfowitz, Pearl should be tried for incompetence in the highest degree, if not outright treason.
Now we're stuck in a no-win situation: democracy in Iraq  (or any Islamic  country for that matter) is a fallacy, without a draft the US military cannot deal with the situation, and a pull-out will look like a defeat. My heart goes out to the US troops and all the moderate Iraqi civilians and families who are the ones that are paying the real price for the Bush quagmire.
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2007 at 23:35
I do not see how democracy in Islamic countries is a fallacy, Islam is compatible with democracy as is Christianity, and most other major religions, interpretations vary, however fundamentally all are based on equality, and some sort of popular consent when it comes to communal decision making, which are akin to democracy.

Yes I agree as well, it's the citizens of Iraq who are truly suffering from this quagmire, alongside the families of the fallen American soldiers. Economically as well we in America suffer from the billions of dollars withdrawn out of the treasury into the pockets of big business that will reconstruct Iraq, and as well the weapons manufacturers. Nevertheless, to simply just leave that is a hard thing to do, too. Personally I think that once a mess has been made it should be fixed, and America can't just pick up and leave either.
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2007 at 04:11
Actually is not a matter of faith as of economics. One could argue that democracy is more endemic to an open-market, competitive economic system devoid of the overuleship and interventionism of a higher authority with extraordinairy powers of seizure, such as despots, sovereigns, autocrats, etc or anyone with undue power to influence economic activity. Instead, the said procedure  encourages the betterment of the indivindual through personal gain and the taking of risks. Democracy in essense is the rule of the bourgeoisie, the propertied classes that are encouraged to participate in politics out of sel-interest and a desire to "climb the ladder".  This  process is disrupted in a major way when eventual accumulation of wealth by some leads to domination of a said market or  branches of it by conglomerates which can then impose their own rules furthering the priviledges. Unfortunately no Western democracy has been so far proved immune to that. But it is also rare to find a successful democracy outside of the western culture, with the exception of that in Japan (though it could be said that Japan's economy is totally capitalistic infused, however, by the particular Japanese work ethic) and the one in India which appears to be somewhat tainted by the social implications of the caste system. I am not sure at the moment where Russia falls into this. Of course none of the above is any relevant to the topic of the thread and, therefore, I feel obliged to purse the lip.

Je suis un Mercandiliste!

Edited by konstantinius - 03-May-2007 at 04:22
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 11:04
The US and Britain should leave as soon as possible, given the need to provide security for the civilians and troops pulling out.

That would mean open civil war in Iraq, but it's broke anyway and it's too late to fix it. It almost certainly means the splitting up of the country just as 'Yugoslavia' split up. It could also mean Iran, Saudi, and Turkey taking over to fight proxy wars on one side or the other, but since you're asking what should happen, I can also say that everybody else should stay out.

Even if they don't, tough. If they can't govern themselves, that's their problem.

Israel is quite obviously no pushover. I was an Israeli supporter on the whole up until the 'eighties, when they started stealing Palestinian land for settlements (as opposed to occupying it for military purposes). I don't see myself supporting either side in Palestine/Israel at the moment, because I don't think the political leadership on either side deserves any support.

Bush is a bully, yes, but not a very good one. In fact he is easily the worst all-round president the US has ever had, even though occasional presidents may have rivalled him in some aspects (Harding for corruption, for instance).

And Islam is not fundamentally violent, though 'Islam' has indeed been hi-jacked by personally ambitious violent men, preaching fundamentalism for their own ends, and cashing in on local social prejudices, especially in the Middle East. Much the same has of course happened with other religions, even the Sikhs.

Edited by gcle2003 - 04-May-2007 at 11:05
Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 17:39
I don't think it is an option for the Coalition or the US to pull out at this period of time. If you put the every little bit of violence aside that is broadcasted to every capable home around the world, i think many would see there is more to this story then a simplr quagmire.

At this point in time: The ISI is in complete dissarray, AQI is on the run, Sadr and his militia is holed up and isolated within the small part of their city & EJK's are significantly down since the surge had started. Most especially, more Anbar tribes are turning against ISI and it's affiliates then ever before and are turning to the Iraqi government and the coalition as the better option and much less pathologically violent as compared too the insurgent groups & the brutal tactics in which they had consistently employed!

As far as reprecussions, i believe any immediate coalition withdrawl would leave the most violent of the terrorists from drawing the wrong & multiple mythical conclusions, and that after a couple of years of fighting and defeating the Iraqi's with calamitous results for human race in it's entirity! After a very brutal power struggle, which sadly i feell the terrorist  would win becuase of the brutal means in which they employ too achieve their ends, there would be some time before they next strike, due to their need for consolidation after a decade long struggle. That would mean that for us in the US, 9-11 was just a precursor of more of the same that would be yet too come! While for other nations, the 7-7 london bombings, the madrid bombings back in the spring of 2004, the bali bombings, the turkish bombings, moscow bombings & ect... will become the norm instead of the exception.

My take on Israel? Certainly not pushovers. But the last thing i want to do is get dragged into is a flaming contest among other's here!

Bush a bully? I guess i just don't see that as a reality! Perhaps a more honest assessment would be: "He is the red cape that spurs on the charging bull"! Has anyone really asked themseleves who benefits from so much focused hatred being piled upon just one individual? I believe there is more too it than just Mr. Bush, but i rather not get into that, seeing that it would only uselessly inflame other poster's passionate opinions!

I'm guessing by pure hindsight, that he had gone into the Presidency very naively expecting his task to be easy by purely uniting the country, instead of being such a divisive figure that he has become too everyone, once the twin tower's came crashing down & the conspiracy theories started coming fast and furious!

I'm sure the irony is not lost on him, in that wishing too limit our involvement with other countries while decreasing the size of government here at home, he was forced to do neither and have his administration to go on to be a near replica of Franklin Roosevelt's administration! One of the few differences in which i will note for obvious reasons, Roosevelt was just as widley loved then, just as well as he is now! I do feel pity for President Bush or anyone else who, in the future... seek's the oval office and the political  insanity which comes with the job!

As for Islam, i don't think it is anymore prone to violence than Christianity is. Or for that matter any other widespread belief, whether... it's religous, political, scientific & ect... As long as man is involved in warping beliefs too suit his ends, there will always be violence of some sort or another...

Just some of my humble thoughts, perhaps a little disjointed even!
Yugoslav View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Yugoslav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2007 at 20:49
Originally posted by Panther

Sorry for the double post!

Well delete one silly! :)
"I know not with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
Ironduke View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Ironduke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2007 at 10:39
I believe the US should reorganize the Iraqi provinces so they're more ethnically homogenous.  The country should then be set up along the same lines as Switzerland, with largely autonomous cantons.
Admin of the World Affairs Board
Geopolitical, Military, & Defense Discussion
351,000 posts - 4,100 members
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2007 at 14:28

Great to see you here old man. Great place.

Ironduke View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Ironduke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2007 at 03:54
Well, if it isn't Sparten... how's it been? Salam :)

I have to say, this is one of the best historical discussion boards I've stumbled across.  I used to have a username here, but that was a couple years ago and I can't remember it.   This forum has grown quite alot since then... kudos to the staff and membership.

Edited by Ironduke - 07-May-2007 at 03:56
Admin of the World Affairs Board
Geopolitical, Military, & Defense Discussion
351,000 posts - 4,100 members
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2007 at 02:13
Iraq War=Fools Crusade
triple7allstar View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote triple7allstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2007 at 12:58
Wow - this is great stuff you guys. I'm learning a lot and appreciate that there have been people from the "pro" and "Con" side pitching in.

keep it coming.

What about oil? I'm curious to hear someone explain why they think the war was started for oil and someone then defend the reasons why it is irrelevant.

Thanks
YohjiArmstrong View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote YohjiArmstrong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2007 at 18:53
I think I'm with gcle in the "broke, can;t be fixed so let 'em slaughter each other".

Personally I supported the war in 2003. Whilst suspicious of the 45 minutes claim the idea of Saddam having chemical or biological weapons didn't seem too unlikely a possibility seeing as he had previously had and used them. Furthermore it removed a dictator who had opressed his people, torturing and killing them for his nepotistic regime. It also seemed like catch up for all those UN mandates and decrees he'd broken and barely been punished for. Furthermore it meant no more sanctions for Iraqis.

However the whole thig has been disasterously handled, there are plenty of accounts out there so I won't state why. Inability in the US led administration coupled to the Iraqi's desire to slaughter each other on sectarian grounds and the like means that I think it is a lost cause. The war has essentially been lost on the domestic fronts. The US Army (sorry, Coalition) can hold for as long as it likes but it remains a conventional army (someone I know made a point about this yesterday- the average American carries 120-140 pounds of kit. The average insurgent 30-40.) More than that the Army still hasn't adapted to new terror tactics (see John Robb's Brave New War" for more).

In the end the people want to kill each other and in CI the people do what the people want. Theres nothing the US can do but divide into three states, tell the Turks and Kurds to behave, evacuate its interpreters and pull out ASAP. Perhaps lighten up immigration laws concerning Iraqis who worked for them and establish guarded cantonments where various groups can gather before being shuttled to whichever is theirs of the three states.

That a series of localised wars will happen is likely. That this will cause destruction and death is certain too. But Iraqis have spoken- they want to kill each other. And in the end all that will happen is some Hollywood directors will make cliched movies in ten years then move on to criticise whatever bumbling incompetent is next. The Iraqis of course, will be forgotten. Occasionally a journalist will hunt down one of those communities that barely survive, like the Marsh Arabs or Christians and write a photo-op. Everyone will cluck their tongues then forget and get on with their lives.

As for Israel- its moved beyond the necessary defense into crazy land. I dislike the constantly hostile media coverage and the way all Israelis get lumped with the settlers but I feel that Israle won't deserve my total sympathy until they get rid of the "colonised" land.

Bush- the man is, if not stupid, innocent and foolish. Bad qualities in a President, worse in a war President. A bully certainly, if a hapless one.

Islam? Like all religions it is essentially open to interpretation. What people choose to do with it is up to them.

As for oil, well I don't doubt it came up as a pro in the invasion plans. However a swift glance will show that the oil is not being best protected at the moment. If the US was truly in it only for the oil then thats all they'd have gone for.
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2007 at 21:31
The US is very bad at prolonged conflict. Historically, it has generally fared poorly in conflicts which go on for too long, while its most stunning succeses have been in conflicts where its participation was short.

The US military has no recent experience in long-term occupation or nation-building and has had little experience in peacekeeping or conflict resolution. The US army is geared to defeat its enemies by overwhelming force, not to provide long-term domestic security to foreign populations in crisis zones - and Iraq is a crisis zone of such magnitude even militaries with vast experience in this sort of work don't feel capable of meeting the challenge. Thus Iraq has gone from a moderately prosperous developing nation to a failed state reminiscent of an African war zone. The only other thing besides overwhelming force that the US military and intelligence community has experience with, is destabilization of unfriendly regimes by provoking internal conflict. There's just no body of experience in handling long-term security.

The current internal culture of the US military makes it incapable of achieving the goals it has set itself in Iraq. US soldiers do not mingle with the locals, partake in local culture, attempt to relate with residents or do any of these standard activities of peacekeeping operations. They exist in a bubble apart from the locals, and evince fear, mistrust, and a lack of appreciation and respect for the local culture. In fact, in the internal military culture and in public dialogue, the US displays impatience and intolerance towards peacekeeping tactics and approaches. They even seem to think conflict resolution, as an idea, is not a worthy goal, that it is a symbol of weakness - which begs the question, how did they ever think that they could democratize Iraq? By magic?

As for staying, it provides no benefit. America is not providing security in Iraq or deterring the formation of radical power-bases in Iraq, only in Baghdad, and only in parts of Baghdad. The rest of the country is not under the control of the US or the Iraqi government. There's no real reason to stay - nothing is going to be achieved. Civil warring might intensify for a short period after they leave, but it will also be much reduced in duration. Radical Islamists have already moved into the vacuum in the rest of the country and are already in possession of several urban centres. Sooner or later, with or without the American presence, they will be in de facto control of the state, unless a new Saddam emerges.

I think right now the US is just in a state of avoidance and denial and is incapable of action - it is paralyzed on the question of Iraq, and that's why it hasn't withdrawn already. It is easier to just keep doing what isn't working than it is to look reality in the face.

Edited by edgewaters - 27-Jul-2007 at 21:35
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2007 at 22:09

America should get the **** out: it has no business, other than pure murderous greed,  in being there. Simple as that. 

I personally see the yanks as an occupying army in Iraq no better than the Nazis were in Poland or other occupied countries - the murders at the hands of the occupiers reflects as much.  I don't feel any sympathy whatsoever when I hear of Americans or other occupiers meeting their maker -  in the same way as I did not feel anything for nazi occupiers killed by partisans in Eastern Europe when I visitd such sites as Ludice in the Czech republic.
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2007 at 22:40
I encourage people to visit YouTube and do a search for "war" Iraq" "US" "insurgents" etc. Watch the the videos, especially the ones posted by insurgents. We don't get enough REAL news coverage here in the US and that's why the US public is so f**king APATHETIC. The elite here learned their media lesson from the war in Vietnam and now they "embed" reporters and no sensitive footage gets out. Go to YouTube and watch US tanks blow up HOUSES with PEOPLE in them in order to get one insurgent; watch Iraqi POLICEMEN and US-trained Iraqi military open fire on US troops; watch US GIs getting popped by snipers while unsuspectingly smoking cigarettes by their vehicle. I watch that stuff and it makes me feel like a German in f**king Stalingrad:  trapped, dying, no way out.   
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2007 at 22:44
The United States need to keep going its military industry, so it will never stop to invade other countries and kill people.

Military contracts are a lot more important for them that those disgusting humanitarian principles of the leftists like Chomsky

Pinguin

YohjiArmstrong View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote YohjiArmstrong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2007 at 04:56
Chomsky isn't a humanitarian, he's just an anti-American.

Great post Edgewaters, it says a lot of what I'd want to say if I could sort the words out.

Zagros, I think that attitude is a little unfair. I'm certain from the soldiers I've talked to that many Coalition groundpounders really do want to help the Iraqis. Sadly they are the ones who pay for the mistakes of their leaders. I think the Nazi tag is unfortunate too: in Poland the Germans rounded up the Jews and slaughtered them. In Iraq the US Army has, so far, not done any such thing. That they have made mistakes (intentionally or not) is not at question but nothing on the grand scale of extermination the Nazis used.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jul-2007 at 06:28
Up to a million Iraqis have died since and as a direct result of the invasion - from official government sources.  The Us has since 1991 been responsible fo rhte deaths of MILLIONS of Iraqis - they don't need to round anyone up - Iraq itself is a concentration camp.

Now, I don't know about you, but I value Iraqi lives just as much as any other and that kind of statistic speaks volumes about the occupation forces and their real motive - I really don't care if some of them are deluded into thinking they're over there for the betterment of humanity, since they're obviously brainwashed for media consumption.

Yes, I am very unfair considering that this is the prevalent behaviour amongst the hicks and criminals America send to Iraq:

US Marine who pleaded guilty in Iraq killing is released:

This just proves that the US officially sees iraqis, and no doubt other middle easterners, as sub human since they can be killed with impunity without fear of any consequence.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>