Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Unconquered nations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unconquered nations
    Posted: 01-May-2007 at 12:09
Originally posted by Constantine XI

Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

]PS:
What about Russia? Has a non-Russian ever captured the Moscow-Novgorod region?

More than once the Mongols managed to take it, the last time in about 1380. The Poles also took it in the early 17th century.

But you have stimulating an interesting point. While parts of Russia have been under foreign domination at one point or another, the Slavicised Rus have never been completely under foreign occupation or control all at once. The closest thing was the Mongol invasion, which the Principality of Novgorod managed to withstand without losing control of its political structure or its territory.

Well, it was in XIVth century. One part of Rus was contolled by Mongols, the rest by Lithuanians and Polish. I don't think threre was any independent part of Rus in that time.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2007 at 12:21
Thailand.

Join us.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2007 at 12:44
No Thailand was de facto conquered by Japan during WWII
I am a free donkey!
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2007 at 12:48
Originally posted by Maharbbal

Oh, I thought Thailand allied with Japan, not conquered....

Join us.
Joinville View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Joinville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2007 at 16:54
Sweden, the heartland of which has never successfully been invaded and occupied by a foreign power. At best there were medieval and early modern dynastic disputes which led to civil war, dividing the country into factions. But no clear-cut case of a foreign amy with no local support conquering it (or perhaps bothering with it).
One must not insult the future.
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2007 at 18:11
Originally posted by Joinville

Sweden, the heartland of which has never successfully been invaded and occupied by a foreign power. At best there were medieval and early modern dynastic disputes which led to civil war, dividing the country into factions. But no clear-cut case of a foreign amy with no local support conquering it (or perhaps bothering with it).

What about Denmark?
Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2007 at 20:16
Originally posted by Jagiello

The tatars ruled Moscow for e few centuries,the poles took it once(It's funny that Russia's national holiday is when the 300 starving and tired polish soldiers leaved Moscow ) and of course Napoleon took it....and burned it.

It was actually the Russians who burned Moscow, which left Napoleon secluded and with little shelter or supply.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2007 at 01:18
Originally posted by kurt

the turkish people of anatolia have never been conquered. the people who lived in anatolia before the turks have. as i mentioned in my post, turkish presence in anatolia began after the battle of manzikert in 1071.

Turkey has been conqured for exactly the same reason that Australia and America have been conqured, and thats without pointing out that there was much more intermixing between pre-turk anatolians and turks than migrant Australians and aboriginies.
Originally posted by Marhabbal

Tuaregs as well as Switzerland (!) have been conquered by France during the 19th century.

France never controlled the Saharan tribes. The Foriegn Legion was incessiantly fighting them, that doesn't count as conqured. Just because the Great Powers may have recognised France's soverignty that doesn't mean the Tuareg did.
Originally posted by Marhabbal

I don't think very short war-time occupataions should count. The conqurer should sucessfully occupy the country, not invade and get defeated. Thailand still fails because it has been occupied by several other Southeast Asian powers of the years.

Didn't Russia control Sweden at one point? I seem to recall that but aren't sure. If they didn't then Sweden counts.
Originally posted by Jagiello

and of course Napoleon took it....and burned it.

Originally posted by Sarmata

It was actually the Russians who burned Moscow, which left Napoleon secluded and with little shelter or supply.

In War and Peace Tolstoy ridcules the French or Russian burnt it arguments with quite an effective argument. Tolstoy points out that when a large army camps in a deserted wooden city a fire is bound to break out. It didn't need anyone to deliberately start it.
Tar Szernd View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Tar Szernd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2007 at 02:40
Weren't some parts of Sweweden and swedis Norvegia occupied by the danes?
Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2007 at 03:27
War and Peace is a novel
John Lenon View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote John Lenon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2007 at 03:43
Originally posted by Majkes

Originally posted by Constantine XI

]PS:
What about Russia? Has a non-Russian ever captured the Moscow-Novgorod region?

More than once the Mongols managed to take it, the last time in about 1380. The Poles also took it in the early 17th century.

But you have stimulating an interesting point. While parts of Russia have been under foreign domination at one point or another, the Slavicised Rus have never been completely under foreign occupation or control all at once. The closest thing was the Mongol invasion, which the Principality of Novgorod managed to withstand without losing control of its political structure or its territory.

Well, it was in XIVth century. One part of Rus was contolled by Mongols, the rest by Lithuanians and Polish. I don't think threre was any independent part of Rus in that time.
Sorry guys , but Poles were invited to Moscow by one part of local nobles and there where no any war action during Polish-Lithuanian army came into Moscow.  Let's remember tjat at this times there was something like "civil war" in  Russia. And the day when Polish-Lithuanian soldiers had been evicted from Moscow is celebrated like day of Russian people unity(end of civil war - Trouble times) , but not the of victory over Polish-Lithuanian armies.
What for XIV century, yes the big part of Ancient Russia (Kievan Rus) were controlled by Lithunia (but really it was  Lithunian-Russian state - competitor of Moscow state). What for mongols, yes they conquered Russian lands (those that belongs to Polsih-Lithuaninan Commonwelath too), but all they want was  tribute. All russians lands(either those were in Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth) at this century where rulled by local (later grand) dukes.
Novgorod was independnet till 1478 (annexed to Moscow state).

Edited by John Lenon - 02-May-2007 at 03:53
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2007 at 04:54

Didn't Russia control Sweden at one point? I seem to recall that but aren't sure. If they didn't then Sweden counts

Sweden was controlled by Denmark as I stated before. Kalmar Union? Anyone heard about it?Confused. Russia never controlled Sweden.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2007 at 05:00

Didn't Russia control Sweden at one point? I seem to recall that but aren't sure. If they didn't then Sweden counts.

No. Occupied half of it during two wars, but never more than that.

Originally posted by Tar Szernd

Sweden was in a personal union with Denmark and Norway - the Kalmar union -  but it was always a sovereign nation. As an independent kingdom, Sweden is about 1000-1300 years old depending on when you start counting (there's some bit of a disagreement about when Sweden was formed which bottoms in the fact that the kingdom of Sweden has existed since at least 600AD but intitially only consisted of a couple of the now 25 'lands').

edit: fixed some spelling etc

Edited by Styrbiorn - 02-May-2007 at 05:30
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2007 at 05:04
Originally posted by John Lenon

Sorry guys , but Poles were invited to Moscow by one part of local nobles and there where no any war action during Polish-Lithuanian army came into Moscow.  Let's remember tjat at this times there was something like "civil war" in  Russia. And the day when Polish-Lithuanian soldiers had been evicted from Moscow is celebrated like day of Russian people unity(end of civil war - Trouble times) , but not the of victory over Polish-Lithuanian armies.
What for XIV century, yes the big part of Ancient Russia (Kievan Rus) were controlled by Lithunia (but really it was  Lithunian-Russian state - competitor of Moscow state). What for mongols, yes they conquered Russian lands (those that belongs to Polsih-Lithuaninan Commonwelath too), but all they want was  tribute. All russians lands(either those were in Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth) at this century where rulled by local (later grand) dukes.
Novgorod was independnet till 1478 (annexed to Moscow state).

1., Poles weren't invited to Moscow. Have you heard about Battle of Kluszin. 7.000 Poles-Lithuanians defeated 35.000 Russian-Swedish army. They celebrate victory of Moscow uprising over Polish soldiers occuping Kremlin.

2. Well it was Lithuania, not Lithuania-Russia. They took language and were tollerant for Rusins but it was Lithuanian state. No, Mongols didn't control rus lands belonged To Polish Lithuanian CommonwealthConfused. You want to say we paid tribute from these lands to Mongols??
No matter if local Duches were left or not they were not independent for sure.
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2007 at 05:05
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

No. Occupied half of it during two wars, but never more than that.

Originally posted by Tar Szernd

Sweden was in a personal union with Denmark and Norway (the Kalmar union), but it was always a sovereign nation. As an independent nation, Sweden is about 1000-1300 years old, depending on when you start counting (there's some bit of a disagreement on when Sweden was formed which bottoms in that the kingdom Sweden has existed since at least 600AD but only consisted of only a couply of the now 25 'lands' then).

So why You needed uprising to get rid of Danes?
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2007 at 05:06

It was an uprising (several, actually) to get rid of the Union king. It was an internal affair,  not Swedes versus Danes. Half of the Swedes were on the union side, half wanted to get rid of it.
kurt View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote kurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2007 at 05:11
Originally posted by Dan Carkner

Huh? What about Western troops stationed in Istanbul during and after WWI?  It's true they eventually left but I would say that was a form of conquest/domination..

western troops were not stationed in istanbul during world war one. have you not heard of the battle of gallipoli?

i mentioned that istanbul was occupied between 1919 and 1922 in my first post. however turkish territories did remain and a turkish nation continued to exist, albeit one which through revolution became a new state. nontheless the turkish territories and a turkish government continued to exist between 1919 and 1922 in spite of the fact that that nation had ceded istanbul to the allies. henceforth, the brief and unsuccessful occupation of istanbul does not constitute as the conquest of the turkish nation.
kurt View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote kurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2007 at 05:27

the turkish people of anatolia have never been conquered. the people who lived in anatolia before the turks have. as i mentioned in my post, turkish presence in anatolia began after the battle of manzikert in 1071.

Turkey has been conqured for exactly the same reason that Australia and America have been conqured, and thats without pointing out that there was much more intermixing between pre-turk anatolians and turks than migrant Australians and aboriginies.

the individual who started this thread asked quite distinctly: which nation or people have remained autonomous throughout their known history? he did not ask which territory remained unconquered. while i agree that america, australia, and anatolia as territories have been conquered, the people who live there today and the nations which reign there have not been conquered. when i responded, i was speaking of the turkish people. how and why you continue to refer to anatolia before turks existed there perplexes me, as they are irrelevant in the context of this thread. we are speaking of nations/people, not territories. besides, have not all territories in this world been conquered, and all its inhabitants intermixed?

the intermixing between turks of anatolia and its previous inhabitants does not mean to suggest that the turks of anatolia cannot be classified as turks, if that is what you are implying. the inhabitants of anatolia today speak turkish, live under a turkish flag and culturally and politically identify themselves as turks. this may not be sufficient for you, but to me and to the people of anatolia it is sufficient justification to be identified as turks.

you previously mentioned a nation on the pakistan indian border which has supposedly never been conquered. i have never heard of them. may you provide information or perhaps a link about this country?
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2007 at 06:32
Look, can we stop trying to claim everything for the Turks? If your going to argue the Turkish people line, then they were conqured by the Tang and Arabs while they were back in central asia anyway

you previously mentioned a nation on the pakistan indian border which has supposedly never been conquered. i have never heard of them. may you provide information or perhaps a link about this country?

You have never heard of Pakhtunistan? I doubt that, you probably have just not heard of it under that name. You know the mountainous border region between Afghanistan and Pakistan that no-one bar the tribes that live there really control? Take a gander at this thread, perhaps it will jog your memory: http://allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=19157
Originally posted by Sarmata

War and Peace is a novel

Which only proves that you haven't read it. You should, it is an excellent book, and Tolstoy includes copious amounts of historical and philiosophical commentry. I have a high esteem for his opinions.

So far the candidates are:

Pakhtunistan
Saharan Tribes such as the Tuareg
Russia (or part thereof)
Sweden
Iceland

I want to suggest one more too: the bedouin of the Arabian Peninsular.
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2007 at 06:38
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

It was an uprising (several, actually) to get rid of the Union king. It was an internal affair,  not Swedes versus Danes. Half of the Swedes were on the union side, half wanted to get rid of it.

Ok, You are probably right. I don't know that well Swedish historyWink.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>