Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHistorical Rivalries

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
dark_one View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Historical Rivalries
    Posted: 27-Jan-2005 at 15:00
how about the napoleonic wars when the Russian army was commanded by Bennigsen and Wittgenstein at times...no, Germany is NOT Russias historical rival...

And how about WW1 when when of our armies was commanded by Rannenkampf? THey are our historic rival. Well were.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2005 at 15:09
but only in the last hundred years or so, I wouldn't callt hat historical...and before that Russia and Germany had rather good relations.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2005 at 15:20
Russia, since the days of Nevskij. Not really since the breakup of the USSR though, but you never know for the future

Edited by Styrbiorn
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2005 at 15:39
Originally posted by Temujin

Germany's historical rival is France, ......

Germany's arch enemy is Bavaria, most of our recent troubles came from there......Adolf Hitler( who served in the Bavarian Army in WW1), Franz-Josef Strauss and Edmund Stoiber,...... not mention Uli Hoeness
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2005 at 15:42
ha yes, you're so right, Bavaria is hell on earth. but actually Ulli Hoeness is not Bavarian, he's just manager of Bayern Muenchen...
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2005 at 15:43
Originally posted by MixcoatlToltecahtecuhtli

If there were no football the Netherlands and Germany would probably have united already

If I would suggest, as a German living in the Netherlands, that we should forget about football rivalries and unite, close in language and culture as we are, they would string me up from their highest windmill. Not a chance in hell,and I understand perfectly, why not.
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2005 at 15:46
For Poland it was Germany, Teutonic Order, Sweden, Russia and Turkey.
Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2005 at 16:35
Portugal and Spain (Castile), since 1143!
An nescite quantilla sapientia mundus regatur?
Teup View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2005 at 16:43

Originally posted by Komnenos

If I would suggest, as a German living in the Netherlands, that we should forget about football rivalries and unite, close in language and culture as we are, they would string me up from their highest windmill. Not a chance in hell,and I understand perfectly, why not.

No; on holidays, in a random city, i can efforlessly spot Germans everywhere (before hearing them), and that doesn't just go for me. It's their haircuts.. their sweatsuits.. their facial hair sculptures.. their.. socks in their sandals.. I never confused a dutchman for a german, not a single time (the dutch folks are always filling water bottles at the filthy fountain - hey, free water) No offence intended  Really, I have nothing against Germany (or even uniting, actually) but maybe we aren't all that close in culture after all

Eh no, I'm not a football fan. vd Sar and Kahn are good though

Whatever you do, don't
Jorsalfar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2005 at 16:51

Originally posted by Exarchus

England , no contest. But not great Britain. We have nothing against the Scots

What about the Welsh and Northern Irish?

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2005 at 16:59
Originally posted by Teup

but maybe we aren't all that close in culture after all

At least the French think we are. In France I've been mistaken for a German several times (one time was in Verdun, at the WW1 battlefielfs )
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2005 at 17:34
Originally posted by Teup

No; on holidays, in a random city, i can efforlessly spot Germans everywhere (before hearing them), and that doesn't just go for me. It's their haircuts.. their sweatsuits.. their facial hair sculptures.. their.. socks in their sandals..

Now, don't start me up on fashion sense, I don't think the Dutch, and especially not the women, are in any position to critise the Germans. ............But serious, the thing that unites as most, is our equally bad taste in Pop Music, unrivalled by any other nation. I will never, ever forgive you for Andre Rieu, is that your revenge for all those stolen bicycles?

Edited by Komnenos
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2005 at 17:58

Originally posted by Jalisco Lancer

Soconusco

What happened at Soconusco? I know it's a town/region in Southern Mexico. Was there a war with Guatemala about Soconusco?

When Mexico achieved the Independence from Spain and formed the Mexican Empire. That very same day of Sept 15TH 1821, Chiapas, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador and Costa Rica joined to the Mexican Empire.

Some disagreed with the Union and rebeled agaisnt Mexico. The imperial army crushed to the rebels in Central America. However, due they historically were not part of New Spain, Mexico granted the secession of Central America. However, only Chiapas decided to be part of Mexico.

Guatemala started a dispute over El Soconusco. Aborder portion of the mexican state of Chiapas with Guatemala.
The diplomatic tensions raised, but Guatemala agreed to recognize the mexican sovereignity over Soconusco in 1895.
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2005 at 08:14
Originally posted by Komnenos

I will never, ever forgive you for Andre Rieu, is that your revenge for all those stolen bicycles?

If we're going that way: I demand you to take our royalty back

TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2005 at 08:27

For Turkey,until 1990 it had been Russia for centuries without doubt.

Now Turkey and Russia are enhanced partners and Russia is our second greatest partner in trade after Germany.

greece cant be our rival.i dont understand why a Polish wrote Turkey as their historical rival.we even did wage a battle againts Tsarist Russia for them in the history.

ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2005 at 08:38
A Russian professor of mine gave me the impression that Russia's biggest rival for centuries has been Poland. Mostly because the poles were always trying to get their hands on Russian land by inciting dinastic quarrels.
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2005 at 08:39

If we're going that way: I demand you to take our royalty back

No chance, if we take yours back, then everybody would come and want to return their royalty: The British, for starters, and we certainly don't want that lot, got rid of our own Nazis long ago. And the Danish, the Belgians and so on. Sorry, mate, should have thought about earlier, guarantee on all of them is long expired.
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2005 at 16:12
Originally posted by Jorsalfar

Originally posted by Exarchus

England , no contest. But not great Britain. We have nothing against the Scots

What about the Welsh and Northern Irish?

The Welsh tried to sack Toulouse during a rugby match, like in the middle ages. Though I would tend to say they are like the English .
Vae victis!
Mangudai View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2005 at 16:28

Originally posted by Styrbiorn

Russia, since the days of Nevskij. Not really since the breakup of the USSR though, but you never know for the future

Don't forget Denmark, those guys will never admit that they've lost Skne and other provinces

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2005 at 18:19

Originally posted by Frederick Roger

A Russian professor of mine gave me the impression that Russia's biggest rival for centuries has been Poland. Mostly because the poles were always trying to get their hands on Russian land by inciting dinastic quarrels.

Well, he was wrong or at least he looked on the problem from the wrong point.

Poles didnt try to steal russian lands. Poles, after uniting with Lithuania were just trying to defend Lithuania. I think there is major difference between stealing someone's land and defending own land. Altough russians made their independence day in the aniversary of retaking Cremlin castle from polish garrison. But affcourse wars were taking place not only during dynastic stuggles in Russia. Usually Russia was an agressor trying to steal part of Poland or part of Lithuania. Maybe only during the reign of king Stephen Bathory Poland waged agressive war against Russia (Russia was ruled by Ivan the Terrible that time). The intention of king was to make Russia a vassal state and king has defeated Russians but suddenly died (probably poisoned by russian agents).

Originally posted by TheDiplomat

i dont understand why a Polish wrote Turkey as their historical rival.we even did wage a battle againts Tsarist Russia for them in the history.

There were no reasons for hostility but we have fought several wars. I think one of the reasons was Wallahia, both Poland and Turkey were trying to control it.

Edited by Mosquito
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>