Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Knight Hospitallers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Knight Hospitallers
    Posted: 15-Apr-2007 at 21:34
Wonder if anyone can direct me in the right direction.

I have searched high and low, on the Internet and through many books, but cannot seem to find the detailed information I require.

Basically I am quite interested in holy military orders, especially the knights of the Order of St. John and their time spent in Malta.

During the Great Siege, 1565AD, I need to source information on the general life of a knight during these times whilst serving in the order in Malta.

Basic things from house hold possessions (I know they took vows of poverty but they must have had some sort of worldy possesions), daily tasks, rituals, superstitions, non militaristic clothing...

Any good book, site referrals would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you in advance.
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2007 at 22:41
Here are some books you might look at.  Also, be sure to mine the footnotes for references to the journal literature.

Anything written by Anthony Luttrell, who is the main authority on the Hospitallers

Jurgen Sarnowsky, ed., Mendicants, Military Orders and Regionalism in Medieval Europe (Aldershot, 1999)

Jonathan Riley-Smith, Hospitallers: The History of the Order of St. John (Hambledon Press, 1999)

Kenneth M. Setton, The Papacy and the Levant (American Philosophical Society, 1984)

Norman Housley, The Later Crusades 1274-1580: From Lyons to Alcazar (Oxford University Press, 1992)

Norman Housley, Crusading in the Fifteenth Century (Palgrave Macmillan, 2004)

Helen Nicholson, The Knights Hospitaller (Boydell, 2001)

Norman Housley, Documents on the Later Crusades, 1274-1580 (Saint Martin's, 1996)

Francesco Balbi, The Siege of Malta, 1565. Translated by Henri Alexander Balbi (Bagsvaerd, 1961)

Desmond Seward, The Monks of War (Penguin, 1995)

Anything by Ernle Bradford, although most of his work is more literary than historical
Melisende View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Melisende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2007 at 09:29
I would recommend "The Great Siege - Malta 1565" by Ernle Bradford
"For my part, I adhere to the maxim of antiquity: The throne is a glorious sepulchre."
 Post Reply Post Reply