Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anti-tank and helicopter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anti-tank and helicopter
    Posted: 13-Apr-2007 at 19:20
Dont you guys think that tanks and helicopters are a bit overrated in these days? I mean, is it really that hard to shoot down a helicopter or a tank with a stinger / anti-tank weapon?
I understand it is really hard to take out a tank or helicopter in a flat area, but isnt it possible to do it in mountainous areas?
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Apr-2007 at 23:27
terrain has allot to do with effectiveness.

Mountain type environment already limits the tanks but makes helicopter more useful. It also gives lighter armed fighters an advantage and if they have advanced shoulder launched missiles, helicopters became fair game. Afghanistan is the most obvious example.

Tanks and helicopters are still very relevant in other situations. But when fighting in a tougher environments like mountains, jungle, urban or any well covered rugged terrain, the other choice force any military needs is special forces and commando type units. More often that not in combination with the heavy stuff and sometimes alone.

Edited by Leonidas - 13-Apr-2007 at 23:29
aghart View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote aghart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2007 at 11:24
Ever since the 1973 middle east war the end of the tank has been advertised. Trouble is that once the dust has settled and the real facts have emerged the truth has told a different story!.   Anti tank weapons have a glorious CV on paper but have always under performed on the battlefield. I am still amazed at the number of British infantrymen who really thought that the 84mm Carl Gustav Anti Tank weapon would stop a Chieftain tank even when hit from the front!

Only when they manage to have a non human battlefield will the need for tanks end.  As that is likely to be at the same time that the earth ceases to exist then the countries that do without tanks and helicopters are the countries that will lose.

Best avoid war altogether but if you can't then have a decent Armoured Corps and a half adequate air corps.

Edited by aghart - 22-Apr-2007 at 14:22
Former Tank Commander (Chieftain)& remember, Change is inevitable!!! except from vending machines
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2007 at 13:34
I have heard anecdotal stories of tanks surviving 8 inch shells. Unlikely to be true, but a tank can take a great deal of punishment. One of my reletives was in 19th Lancers in Somalia. His tank was hot numerous times with RPG's and once took a direct hit from another tank on its frontal glacius. Nothing.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2007 at 13:36
BTW AQ hart you from 1 RTR? Thats their badge if I am not mistaken. They have an association with my bothers regiment the 13th lancers.
aghart View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote aghart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2007 at 14:24
Originally posted by Sparten

BTW AQ hart you from 1 RTR? Thats their badge if I am not mistaken. They have an association with my bothers regiment the 13th lancers.

Indeed I am

Indeed they do
Former Tank Commander (Chieftain)& remember, Change is inevitable!!! except from vending machines
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2007 at 13:35
Originally posted by Sparten

I have heard anecdotal stories of tanks surviving 8 inch shells. Unlikely to be true, but a tank can take a great deal of punishment. One of my reletives was in 19th Lancers in Somalia. His tank was hot numerous times with RPG's and once took a direct hit from another tank on its frontal glacius. Nothing.

The frontal armor of a MBT is thicker than Battleship belt armor so I imagine it should have no problem surviving an 8 inch HE shell hit. I don't know how well the crew would survive the concussion of several hundreds pounds of explosives going off that close though.
 Post Reply Post Reply