Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to Total Quiz XV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Welcome to Total Quiz XV
    Posted: 24-Apr-2007 at 16:17
Total Quiz XV has ended.

Well done everyone!

Congratulations to the winners , Team Knights & Praetor

- followed closely by New User and Dawn as 2'nd and 3'rd.

The final scores:

The answers for round 2 are:

Question #8.
Submitted by poirot
Question
Rise and Fall. He lived a long, fruitful life, in which he managed to unite many groups of his race under his banner. And thus, his domain stretched for kilometers without an end, coming into contact with some of the most advanced civilizations of his time. In fact, we know of his existence mainly because men of letters in more advanced civilizations wrote about him. Yet all was not well, for he came into conflict with a rising kingdom and its ambitious king. In a fateful clash of arms, he lost his life, and after his death, his realm was torn into pieces. As a twist of fate, the ambitious king was murdered a few years later. Who was he, and who was the ambitious king?
Hint
The ambitious king had an even more ambitious son.
Answer
He was Ateas/Atheas, unifier of Scythian tribes. Ateas, who is remembered from accounts by Greek and Roman historians, came into conflict with King Phillip II of Macedon. Ateas lost his life in battle against Macedonians, and his realm quickly disintegrated.

Question #11.
Submitted by Decebal
Question
It is a story of three remarkable men. The first implemented a series of reforms which were revolutionary for the time; and it is in his proclamations that we first hear of a certain idea which we value highly nowadays. The second, a great conqueror, overthrew him and was the first man to unite a civilization. But he was also overthrown by an even greater foreign conqueror whose name would be legendary for a long time. Name the three men.
Hint
The third man's name would acquire a mythical status and would only be reused almost 2 millenia later.
Answer
1. Lugal-Zage-Si of Umma, 2. Urukagina of Lagash 3. Sargon (or Sharrukin) of Akkad

Question #15.
Submitted by Decebal
Question
He was a prince of a great city, named after a hungry animal. When he was a teenager, a foreign army invaded his country, but the young prince managed to forge an alliance to recover his lands. This alliance was to last for another century. Afterwards, now a king, he became a famous patron of learning and culture, leading his city into a veritable golden age. Not content to be merely a patron fo the arts, the king was an artist and accomplished writer himself. Who is he?
Hint
The alliance he forged was with two other cities.
Answer
Nezahualcoyotl, prince of Texcoco

Question #18.
Submitted by poirot
Question
City and Kingdom. Founded originally as an outpost by frontier soldiers and populated by immigrants escaping their war ravaged homeland, this city gave rise to a kingdom of the same name that lasted for more than one and half centuries, serving as a key resting stop for traveling merchants and religious men. Kings and royal houses changed, but the kingdom nevertheless thrived, until it was caught in a struggle between two rival powers. Both the kingdom and one of the rival powers were quickly absorbed by the other power, a power that was no longer powerful after experiencing a major crisis a century later. Give the name shared by the city and the kingdom.
Hint
A famous Buddhist monk passed through the city and kingdom on his journey.
Answer
The city and kingdom has many names: Gaochang in Chinese, Qara-hoja in Uighur, Chotscho in German, and Khocho in English. Originally an outpost of the Han Empire near Turpan, Gaochang/Qara-hoja/Khocho served as a critical link in the Silk Road, a key stop for traveling traders and Buddhist monks. The kingdom of Gaochang/Qara-hoja/Khocho thrived for more than one and half centuries, from around 460 AD to 640 AD, with several dynasties. When conflict broke out between the Western Gok-Turk Empire and the Tang Empire, the kingdom was caught in the middle. It was absorbed, along with the Gok-Turk Empire, by the Tang Empire, which would experience the Anlushan Rebellion a century later.

Thank you to everyone participating, the authors and moderators.

The winner's prize will be produced and available very soon. 

~ Northman

Edited by Northman - 24-Apr-2007 at 16:24
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2007 at 17:45
Originally posted by Kapikulu

Originally posted by Decebal

Question 3
His attempted religious reforms were supported by the state but were so hated by a part of the religious community, that they caused a schism within the Russian Orthodox Church. Who is the reformer and what are the dissidents commonly known as? (Question by Decebal)
Answer: Patriarch Nikon, Old Believers (or raskolniki)

Wasn't this Patriarch Sergius I?

I did some checking and you are right: Patriarch Sergius does indeed fit the profile of the question as well. Though if we start to argue over semantics, his was only a declaration and not actual reforms. You should probably get credit for an alternate answer though...

Edited by Decebal - 24-Apr-2007 at 17:46
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2007 at 19:31
First, I must congratulate New User. For a debut participation in Total Quiz, this was a most fantastic effort. You had the heck scared out of me when you moved up to 11 points. I look forward with anticipation to competing with you in Total Quizzes to come. Well done. Star

Secondly, Dawn. What can I say - you have got to be the most consistent TQ'er ever! It's a pity you got very busy at work, and that chewed up a lot of your time. Still, you managed to come home well. Good Job Dawn Thumbs%20Up

Thirdly, all the other competitors, namely Giannis and hkdollarboy. Bravo guys, it was an extremely hard quiz and you managed to conquer it! Cool

Fourthly, Northman, Poirot and Decebal. Another fantastic running of the quiz, and great questions by Poirot and Decebal - though some of them, excruciatingly hard. It was cool to have the master moderating the quiz. Clap

Lastly, Praetor. Good on you mate - it was a toughie indeed! Next Total Quiz, bring it on! Approve

Oh yes and I would like to say that I will be kicking myself over a few questions, after checking my firefox history. Turns out I looked at Nezahualcoyotl, but got him in the end, and looked at the Choniates (Byzantine Chronicler). Also, I considered Philip II/Alexander as well as Sargon for various questions...Cry

So, super effort all round. Thank you. Smile

- Knights -
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2007 at 02:39
Congrates Knights and Praetor. Well done.

New user - very good first time. way to go.

Decabal,Poirot and Northman thank you for running the quiz and all your hard work.

It is great to see so many players.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2007 at 11:33
I got an idea.

As Knights and Praetor play as a team, we should divide their points in tow as well. That means both got 6 points rather than 12:d...
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2007 at 12:06

Congratulations everyone, especially to Knights and Praetor for the performance. Also congratulations to Dawn for another solid showing and to New User for an excellent first outing! Looking forward to seeing all of you on future quizzes.

I guess poirot and myself got a little carried away with the questions this time around... We tried to make the quiz as varied as possible, which may account somewhat for its difficulty. Please let us know if you'd like the quiz to be easier next time around, or at least contain a higher ratio of easy/medium questions.

On another note, I'm sorry if I missed on some periods of the quiz. Personal life and computer problems got in the way...

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2007 at 13:59
Hi all,

Also, apologize about the troubles some questions may have given - partly because they may not have given enough leads to begin a search.  I later realized that question 18 was particularly difficult, because there were no online links in English available for a search.  Try googling Gaochang or Qara-hoja, it gives you little links. 

Therefore, for all who got very close answers - i.e. Dawn with Khotan, Knights and Praetor with Turfan - give yourselves two thumbs up!  It was probably the closest you can get given limitations of the search engine.  If you like, you can mentally add two more points each to your score!

Again, great job all round, especially New User, Dawn, Knights, and Praetor, for their superb problem solving techniques.

Edited by poirot - 25-Apr-2007 at 14:02
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2007 at 10:26
For those of you that could not post in this thread I have moved it around so that you should be able to now. Sorry for the problem.

Feel free to coment on the quiz.
New User View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote New User Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2007 at 10:43

Thanks for all the kind words folks well done to Knight, Praetor and Dawn. Big thanks to all that set the quiz it was great fun, would I be wrong in assuming that was Poiret and Decebal? If so thanks, I for one enjoyed the difficulty of it.

Praetor View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Praetor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2007 at 01:23
Thank you all for a great quiz and great competitionThumbs Up
I apologise for the late reply as I have been busy of late but I couldn't have been more happy with the result, finally me and Knights posses the title we have been aiming for. This Total Quiz was the most difficult yet as the great majority of answers were the result of research for myeself and Knights whereas in the two total quizes previus I got at least half of our points off the top of my head (I don't mean to bragCool) and I would like to congratulate Decebal, Northman and Poirot for making such a challenging quiz. I would also like to congratulate Dawn for bieng the most consistent high scorer and New User for a highly promising first outingClap

However I would not recommend that the quiz remain this difficult as though increased time was available the highest score was 12! This for me suggests that thier are two few questions that the average contestant has a decent chance of getting if they do some research and reduces its "playability" for such members (and to a lesser extent us pros too). I mention this because Decebal expressed in his prior post that he wished to know if the quiz should have a higher ratio of easy/medium questions: my answer is yes for the reasons mentioned above.

Again thanks for a great quiz.

Regards, Praetor. 

Edited by Praetor - 28-Apr-2007 at 01:24
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123