Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

arab conquest of the persians

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guess View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Guess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: arab conquest of the persians
    Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 21:28
My understanding is that the Persians were weakened by wars with the Byzantines and the Persians recently had a plague. Is this correct?

Did the Arabs create an Empire? I don't recall reading anything about a long lasting single Arab Empire? 

What did the Byzantines think when the Arabs destroyed the Persians? I would think it would take a while before the saw them as a threat.

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2007 at 01:35
My understanding is that the Persians were weakened by wars with the Byzantines and the Persians recently had a plague. Is this correct?

Haven't heard about a plague before, but they had been fighting a massive war with the Byzantines for several decades before hand.
Did the Arabs create an Empire? I don't recall reading anything about a long lasting single Arab Empire?

You've never heard of the Ummayyids or Abbasids?
What did the Byzantines think when the Arabs destroyed the Persians? I would think it would take a while before the saw them as a threat.

They were probably too busy defending Anatolia and Constantinople to care much about the Persians.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2007 at 04:45
PLus a few Iranians defected to the Arabs and taught them how to counter Iranian cavalry.
Guess View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Guess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2007 at 08:00
was this one united arab empire?
Ummayyids or Abbasids?

when did they break up into multiple states?

the middle east remained arab controlled until the Turks came right?

also were there many arabs outside of what is now Saudi Arabia before the arab invasion? Or was it different ethnic groups?
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2007 at 10:31
was this one united arab empire?
Yes, there was.
Ummayyids or Abbasids?
Both,as well the first Caliphate empire it streched from Tunisia from the west to Afghanistan from the east.
when did they break up into multiple states?
the breakup begun in the Abbasid Era,the first state splited out was Spain in 754 A.D when the Last Umayyad Abd Al-Rahman Al-Dakhil wiped out the Abbasid Governer Yousef Al-Fahri in a fierce battle.
not exactly after the weakened of the Abbasid empire many vassels or indpendent states were founding if you intrested I can give you links or write a post about them.
the answer is befor the Turks coming Iraq was under the Buyid rule they were  from Deylamite people from north Iran.
Syria under the Arab Hamdanids dynasty,Egypt under Ikhshidids turkish dynasty then under Fatimids Arab.
also were there many arabs outside of what is now Saudi Arabia before the arab invasion? Or was it different ethnic groups?
in Syria,Palastine,Jordan,Iraq Arabs were a majority due to the mass migration in the early years of the conquest.
the Arab found great cities too Kufa,Basrah in Iraq, Fustat in Egypt and Qayrwan in Ifriqya(today Tunisia).
"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
Guess View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Guess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2007 at 10:37
What happened to the non-arabs that were in what is currently Arab areas. did they intermarry and effectively become arabs?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2007 at 13:27
Originally posted by Guess

What happened to the non-arabs that were in what is currently Arab areas. did they intermarry and effectively become arabs?
Pretty much.
Killabee View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Killabee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2007 at 17:40
Originally posted by Ahmed The Fighter

not exactly after the weakened of the Abbasid empire many vassels or indpendent states were founding if you intrested I can give you links or write a post about them.
the answer is befor the Turks coming Iraq was under the Buyid rule they were  from Deylamite people from north Iran.
Syria under the Arab Hamdanids dynasty,Egypt under Ikhshidids turkish dynasty then under Fatimids Arab.

Didn't the Abbasid Dynasty remain in control in Iraq especially Baghdad area until the Mongols sacked it in 13th Century?

in Syria,Palastine,Jordan,Iraq Arabs were a majority due to the mass migration in the early years of the conquest.
the Arab found great cities too Kufa,Basrah in Iraq, Fustat in Egypt and Qayrwan in Ifriqya(today Tunisia).

I think he was asking if there were any Arab outside of Arabian Peninsular before the Islamic Conquest.

The answer is Yes. There were Christian Kingdoms in Syria, Jordan and Iraq established by Arabs such as Nabataeans, Ghassanids and Al-Hirah who were also vassal states of Byzantine or Sassanid before the Islamic Conquest.
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2007 at 20:00
Originally posted by Killabee

Didn't the Abbasid Dynasty remain in control in Iraq especially Baghdad area until the Mongols sacked it in 13th Century?

Baghdad was taken over by Seljuks before that, iirc caliphate did requested to Seljuks to free Baghdad of shia danger.

And I hear for the first time Ikhshidids, can anyone give more information about them? Arent they tulunids?
gramberto View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote gramberto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2007 at 20:03
There are arabs spread out pretty far. can an Arab tell another arab by facial features?

what about accent? Is there an Arab accent or is it localized such as an Egyptian Arabic accent or a Saudi accent?

note: Not looking to start anything political. Just asking questions.
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2007 at 20:52
Originally posted by gramberto

There are arabs spread out pretty far. can an Arab tell another arab by facial features?

what about accent? Is there an Arab accent or is it localized such as an Egyptian Arabic accent or a Saudi accent?

note: Not looking to start anything political. Just asking questions.

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=17652&PN=2

I am a free donkey!
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 03:44
Originally posted by Killabee

I think he was asking if there were any Arab outside of Arabian Peninsular before the Islamic Conquest.

The answer is Yes. There were Christian Kingdoms in Syria, Jordan and Iraq established by Arabs such as Nabataeans, Ghassanids and Al-Hirah who were also vassal states of Byzantine or Sassanid before the Islamic Conquest.
Yes the did,but as a figurehead first under turkish mercineries, the Buyid then the Seljuks after that the ruled Iraq without interrupt then the Mongols came.
about question two I am sorry for not focusing,but I guess all members will understand when I tell them that I am writing along with gun fire,explosions and other things.
yes,there were many Arabs lived outsides Arab peninsuala,there are two vasseles states arised one allied with Byzantine and the other with Sassanids.
the first was the Ghassanids in Jordan and southern Palastine the second was the Lakhmids dynasty in Hirah it was a vassel of Persian empire,They found a great state their capital was al-Hirah which was a fabulous city with many castles and bath-houses and Palm gardens.
They were Christian Arabs from Banu Lakhm tribe they were nestorian and their rival the Ghassanid were Orthodox and from al-Azd tribe the two states took a part in battles of Edessa and Callinicum when the Sassanid with the assitance of Lakmids defeated the famed Byzantine general Belisarius.
other tribes lived in southern Iraq like Banu Shayban, Banu Bakr and Tai the first two tribes defeated the persian empire at the famous battle of Thi-Qar.
these tribes still living in Southern Iraq today.
Khalid Bin Walid
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 04:12
Originally posted by DayI

And I hear for the first time Ikhshidids, can anyone give more information about them? Arent they tulunids?
No,The aren't Tulunids Day after the Abbasids recover Egypt from Tulunids in 905 A.D by a campaign under Muhammed bin Suleyman al-Kateb woh overthrown Shayban the last Tulunids ruler.
after that Muhamed became the ruler,but the caliphate realize the important of Egypt therefor the caliph al-muktafi made a decision this decision is the Caliphate must replace the rulers of far distance states in short time to prevent him from strength his position and became indpendent like Tulunids,Samanids and Saffarids so they assigned 30 rulers of Egypt from 905 to 935 A.D.
in 935 A.D caliph al-Radi assigned Muhammed bin Taghj who begun as a governor then he took the title Ikhshid(prince in persian)by the Caliph in 937 A.D.
after that he became effectively independent from the Caliphate in Baghdad,his slave Kafur succeeded him  in 946 A.Das a regent for his child he took the same title and became the real Ruler too when he died in 968 a big chaos happened in Egypt which made the Fatimids plan easier they occupied Egypt in 969 A.D.
Khalid Bin Walid
Xshayathiya View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Xshayathiya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 18:34
Originally posted by Sami O.

Originally posted by Guess

Pretty much.

This happened largely in western asian countries (ie Egypt, Iraq.) Some groups managed to retain their cultural and linguical characteristics (ie Iranians, Assyrians) and some were geographically too far away to be effectively assimilated (ie Central Asia, India).
"I like rice. Rice is great if you are hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
 Post Reply Post Reply