Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

MSc Nationalism Studies

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MSc Nationalism Studies
    Posted: 04-Apr-2007 at 16:21
I was bent on MSc Finance and Investment or Operational Research with Finance just because of the future personal salary potential but recently I have asked myself whether I want to pursue such a course.  On my walk home today politics sprang to mind, so I did a little bit of research and came across an interesting programme called nationalism studies.

I am just not sure about the future implications of such a degree, I want to do it because I would really get stuck in and enjoy it.

Any thoughts?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2007 at 19:59
Originally posted by Zagros

I was bent on MSc Finance and Investment or Operational Research with Finance just because of the future personal salary potential but recently I have asked myself whether I want to pursue such a course.  On my walk home today politics sprang to mind, so I did a little bit of research and came across an interesting programme called nationalism studies.

I am just not sure about the future implications of such a degree, I want to do it because I would really get stuck in and enjoy it.

Any thoughts?

...hello Zagros...

..i have no knowledge whatsoever about Finance, my brain just would not cope!!!...but i recognise fully your sentiments about getting 'stuck in' and 'enjoying it'.....before i did my history degree, i was employed as a Social Worker but history had always remained a true passion, i finally bit the bullet, quit my job, and completed my degree and i attained a BA with Hons...

...i did not do it for the salary, i did not do it for career progression, i did it because i loved it, and i can honestly say it was the best three years of my life, it felt so natural to be involved in study, i treasured being around my tutors and the whole academic attitude, and being a mature student, i tended to be a little more involved with my lecturers regarding conversation and talking about history....

...it was only in my second year that i knew this was for me, and i no longer wished to carry on in the social work field....i chose to use my university experience as a way in life....i really did find my 'place'...however, i do not earn nothing like the money i earned before, the 'career' work is extremely hard to obtain and i find i cannot pursue any other form of work with conviction...i struggle to make ends meet, i have enjoyed the occasional connected employment but it is rare, i am effectively a 'self-employed' historical researcher, the vast majority of what i do never appears in the same form on this site, this site is funtime!!!..not work...!!! 

...although i am making efforts to complete a PhD...i continue to do whatever i can connected to historical study...but you know what Zagros?...i have no regrets at all, i love what i do, and despite the 'life' troubles, i would not change a single thing....i hope for salary improvements but i do not 'chase the buck' as it were....follow your heart m8, and if the brain balances it out, all the better.....good luck with what you choose...
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 13:47
Thanks for your itneresting input.  Though, I decided to press ahead and apply for OR with Finance, I mean I wouldn't hate doing it, but I can always, like you, consider following a different path a little later in life.  I have to say, I do thrive in a business environment and get into what i am doing - what made me have my doubts though was a certain mundanity in my studies thus far.  OR with finance looks very interesting though and it is only a one year taught course.
arfunda View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote arfunda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2007 at 06:15
I liked the topic of the course, "Nationalism studies".  My husbands  thesis of Msc was on "Minorities and Nation State" He's studied the subject from Westphalia to today. I am interesed in readiing books about nationaism studies. Here in Turkey there are several authers studying on the topic. There are also several authers, books of which are translated into Turkish. e.g. Benedict Anderson. I read one of his books in Turkish. Here's the name. Anderson, Benedict. Imagined Communities: Reflections on the Origin and Spread of Nationalism. One studying politics and nationalism must read him.
Now I am in my office. When I return home I may prepare a list of sources in my library.
 As a physician following up physciatric problems, I am also interested in political pysiciatry and political physicology. I have a Msc on public administratin. My thesis is on politics and gender. I applied  to a doctorate programme on political sciences  in order to study political psyciatry.But they did not prefer me because of my medical education. My future plan is studying on politics and physicology and physiciatry.
Je suis comme je suis.
arfunda View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote arfunda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2007 at 06:31
Je suis comme je suis.
 Post Reply Post Reply