Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite Sport

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: What is your favorite sport?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [8.51%]
1 [2.13%]
5 [10.64%]
24 [51.06%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.13%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.13%]
11 [23.40%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite Sport
    Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 12:29
Originally posted by gcle2003

How come cricket isn't in there?

More people bet more money on cricket than any other sport (that doesn't involve animals).

And 'soccer' is indeed a British term. It distinguishes association football from rugby football (and a fortiori, the Australian, Gaelic and American versions, as well as the medieval ones), and always has done.

And I used to play a lot of hockey: not however 'ice' hockey but the real thing.

The 'real thing' arggh! That's field hockey to you I assume. Not a bad sport. Running around swatting a miniature stick. NOW AMPLIFY that x10 fold and you have field hockey on steroids. That is ICE HOCKEY. The one and only. Empphh!!LOL

Edited by Seko - 08-Apr-2007 at 12:29
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 13:51
Originally posted by Zaitsev

Soccer is also the REAL term.

No it is not. The English inventors call it football. Other countries who call it differently should be sued.Big%20smile
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 23:19
Have you ever tried playing soccer without socks? I thought not. If you had you'd know why it was called soccer.
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 04:10
Originally posted by Zaitsev

Have you ever tried playing soccer without socks? I thought not. If you had you'd know why it was called soccer.

Well I usually play it bare foot during the summer
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 04:59
Originally posted by Seko

The 'real thing' arggh! That's field hockey to you I assume. Not a bad sport. Running around swatting a miniature stick. NOW AMPLIFY that x10 fold and you have field hockey on steroids. That is ICE HOCKEY. The one and only. Empphh!!LOL

I like watching ice hockey. If I'd grown up somewhere where it was frozen all the time I'd probably have played it too. If only to keep warm.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 05:45
Originally posted by axeman

No it is not. The English inventors call it football. Other countries who call it differently should be sued.Big%20smile

The English also invented Cricket, Rugby and America. Theyve lost them all, so theyre hardly in a position to claim them LOL
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 16:35
Spoken like a true man! To bad you like those losers in red!Tongue Well sorta losers, not winning and losing wise...
I like watching ice hockey. If I'd grown up somewhere where it was frozen all the time I'd probably have played it too. If only to keep warm.
Do you follow any North American teams in the NHL? And if not, which league do you follow if any?
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 17:02
My favorite NHL teams are NJ Devils(I always liked them since the childhood when I played NHL 97(?) on SEGA - Doug Gilmour was the man, later super attack trinity - Arnott, Sykora, Elias), Colorado Avalanche (because of Skrastins).
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Apr-2007 at 17:30
I can't stand the Devils, I really do despise them. Especially after what happened last post season...
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2007 at 04:28
What sort of a yanko-centric poll is this?

My favourite sport without question is Cricket, the test match flavour being the best. After that I'd go for Hockey (real Hockey). Football (soccer) and tennis are good too. I like football (AFL) too but I don't really follow it.

But I'll tell you that Lawn Bowls is one of the most fun games to play and watch.

Also gridiron isn't a sport, its an excuse for commercials (although pretty fun to play). Baseball is hopeless, everything you hit is apparently a foul, and Basketball is the sport I hate the most. Oh, and if Australia had any ice we'd beat you north americans in ice hockey too

Originally posted by Zagros

Gaelic Football.

You know that Gaelic football with a slight modification is really popular in Aus as the AFL

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 11-Apr-2007 at 04:30
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2007 at 07:02
Originally posted by ArmenianSurvival

Originally posted by Aelgifu

Speed Skating, no contest. The only thing that is not horribly boring to watch

While I'm not questioning the difficulty of the game, I would be reluctant to play any sport that requires me to dress like a condom Tongue

Well, I was not talking about sports that are fun to be doing....Wink I see not problem with watching sportsmen dressed in little more than a condom... Tongue

Why is every sport mentioned here a team/ball game? Ball games are for kids and teamsports are for sissies. Real sports is on your own with your own body as the enemy to beat.

Big%20smile

Ah, and although I loathe the sport (twelve spoiled multimilionairs falling over whenever the ball comes near) it is the only thing that can be named football, as the aim of the game is to power the ball with ones foot.

American football (which is Rugby for whiners), is not football at all, as they spend a lot of time with it in their hands. 'Pick-it-up-and-run'-ball is a far more logical name...

Edited by Aelfgifu - 11-Apr-2007 at 07:16

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Balaam View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Suspended

Quote Balaam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2007 at 09:44
Halfling Pit Fighting by far

after that I'll go for cricket, AFL, and the V8 Supercars (which by the way is the best car racing around)
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2007 at 17:29
Gaelic football and Aussie rules are quite seperate in reality, the aussie ball is oval, gaelic round, aussie is full contact, gaelic is not, they're the main differences anyway. The international rules between gaelic and afl don't really seem to be working anymore, with the gap between the pros of Australia just too physical for the amateurs of Ireland.

Football (of the soccer variety) is the best sport ever invented, no doubt.
Timotheus View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Timotheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2007 at 21:37
Soccer is a Brit term, derived thusly:

Association football

Assoc. football

Assoc

'soc

Soccer

The term became current in former colonies of the British crown that developed their own sports which were called "football". Thus, the Americans, Canadians, Australians, New Zealanders, and some Irish call it soccer.
Opium is the religion of the masses.

From each according to his need, to each according to his ability.
King Kang of Mu View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
(Foot)Balling DJ from da Eastside

Quote King Kang of Mu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2007 at 08:03
1. Soccer - Favorite Teams: Barcelona, Santos, Arsenal, Inter Milan,PSV
                 Favorite Palyers: Robinho, Ronaldinho, Messi, Diego,  Ribery

2. Basketball- Fav Teams: Pistons, Knicks, Rockets, Suns, Bobcats
                      Fav Players: Amare, B. Wallace, Rasheed, Yao, Maxsil

3. Baseball - Teams: Tigers, Mets, Angels, Indians, Devil Rays
                    Players: Bonderman, Beltran, Jose Reyes, Monroe, Zumaya

4. Boxing - Boxers: Pacquiao, Hopkins, Morales, Mayweather, Cory Spinks

5. Billiards - Efran Reyes, Bustamante, Ga Young Kim, Fisher, Archer
http://www.allempires.net/forum/forums.html
karajoz View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Suspended

Quote karajoz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2007 at 08:21

i dont like criquet, oh no - i love it!

some people think its boring. i like going to games with mates.
 go blackcaps!

some might know turkish oil wrestling. its cool too.Big%20smile
Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2007 at 03:59
I voted "other"
It's videogames
yes, it's an official sport
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jul-2007 at 14:52
Well I voted for other, nordic skiing!!!  You want a sport that will kick the crap out of you skiing is it.  It burns more calories than swimming or running.  I doubt most people know that.  But what is with the baseball bashing?  People who say its boring to watch don't understand the STRATEGY involved.  It is facinating to see the matchups between hitter and pitcher then the fielders changing position based on the batters tendencies and the pitchers style.  By boring you must mean fascinating.ApproveCool
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2007 at 04:12
My favourit sports are:
to watch - Volleyball ( I'm suprised it isn't on the list, all Miss World candidates say always that this is their favourite sportLOL ) and light athletic
to do myself - Football ( European, not that American parody ), ping-pong, swimming

P.S. Basseball is for old daddies with big bellies so I don't know if we can even call it a sportTongue
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jul-2007 at 08:46
To watch, Beach Volleyball (female variety, lol). The resident vouyer, pervert of AE.

Otherwise, shooting, cricket, squash and to play, man rugby! That is a man's game.

Gridiron? If their ever was a game for wussies, thats it. I don't know why the Yanks are crying so much about body armor, just send the soldiers high school kits over, and they'll be protected from everything up to 155 mm artillery!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123