Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite Sport

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: What is your favorite sport?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [8.51%]
1 [2.13%]
5 [10.64%]
24 [51.06%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.13%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.13%]
11 [23.40%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite Sport
    Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 16:28
Originally posted by xi_tujue

I don't know why you Yanks keep calling it soccer

we play it with the foot you play it with I don't know bumping at eachother

stop calling it soccer wtf is soccer btw

It's an English term not Yank.

Edited by Gundamor - 03-Apr-2007 at 16:29
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 18:13

The ball is called a football because it's about a foot long, really 11inches, atleast the American verson. The sport is named after the ball, hense the name of the sport, "Football".

And we'll call it soccer, because we can. Or we'll just call it, "Oh yeah that 'other sport', I used to play that as a child...."Tongue I don't think ti was even us "Yanks" that came up with the name Soccer.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Gundamor View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gundamor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 18:38
Well if you want to get picky the list should of been Gridiron Football, Rugby Football(rugger to some), Australian Rules Football(Footy to some), Association Football(assoccer,socca,socker,Soccer) or Gaelic Football(dont know any nicknames). I don't know how football became the world standard for soccer but I blame the British like I do for everything else.

Edited by Gundamor - 03-Apr-2007 at 18:38
"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind"
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Apr-2007 at 19:17
lol Thats a good reason, blame the English!LOL
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2007 at 00:30

wtf is soccer btw

As an american I have been asking myself that for years.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Siege Tower View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Siege Tower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2007 at 22:28
My favorite sport is Baseball, and i am a pitcher. it's always great to watch baseball highlight but the thing about baseball is that watch the whole game is extremely boring, sometimes a inning takes twenty minutes, i remember last season i went to a game between Blue Jays and Capitals, the whole thing took three and half hours.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 00:47
Blue Jays and Capitals?

Do you mean the Washington Nationals? Or is this another league?

Yeah, I remember a few years back going to a Blue Jays game in Toronto, it's a beautiful stadium. I agree with you on that baseball gets too boring when your not playing it. But that's what alcohol is good for.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Yucky cat View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Yucky cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 01:35

C'mon how can a simple poll turn into an agrument. Blue Jays sucks, you don't need to even look at it for 1 second after the 2nd inning. I don't give if you call soccer football, but actually I like the name soccer better.

Go buy some pantaloons!

Edited by Yucky cat - 05-Apr-2007 at 01:36
Athanasios View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Athanasios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 12:28
Hey! Were is water polo? It is supposed we've got to make a choice btw real sports!!!Angry

I've voted DartsSmile...

Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 14:29
Oh man, this poll is depressing! I like soccer, but football totaly pwns soccer! Shame on all of you! 
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Siege Tower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 15:22
Originally posted by JanusRook

Blue Jays and Capitals?

Do you mean the Washington Nationals? Or is this another league?

Yeah, I remember a few years back going to a Blue Jays game in Toronto, it's a beautiful stadium. I agree with you on that baseball gets too boring when your not playing it. But that's what alcohol is good for.

sorry, too much hockey lately, i am surprised hockey is not on the list, or curling
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 15:31
Oh man, this poll is depressing! I like soccer, but football totaly pwns soccer! Shame on all of you! 
I'm still not happy with you not putting up HOCKEY! Shame shame on you!LOL
Kaysaar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kaysaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 15:51
Originally posted by Siege Tower

sorry, too much hockey lately, i am surprised hockey is not on the list, or curling

You're surprised that curling isn't on the list? Shocked
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2007 at 16:09
Well hell, Darts made it! In curling atleast you move more and has some teamwork.Smile
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Apr-2007 at 05:33
Originally posted by Athanasios

Hey! Were is water polo? It is supposed we've got to make a choice btw real sports!!!Angry

I've voted DartsSmile...

May I quote myself ?

8) Underwater Polo ( with seahorses)

Colonel
Colonel

Quote Siege Tower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 15:09
OR Lacrosse, it's such a good sport, very similar to hockey but the rules are not as strict
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2007 at 20:16
Elephant Polo - now there's a sport! Approve

Edited by Knights - 07-Apr-2007 at 20:17
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 08:06
How come cricket isn't in there?

More people bet more money on cricket than any other sport (that doesn't involve animals).

And 'soccer' is indeed a British term. It distinguishes association football from rugby football (and a fortiori, the Australian, Gaelic and American versions, as well as the medieval ones), and always has done.

And I used to play a lot of hockey: not however 'ice' hockey but the real thing.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 08:20
Soccer is also the REAL term.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2007 at 10:08
Originally posted by gcle2003

How come cricket isn't in there?

Yeh...Cry Cricket is my favourite [conventional] sport!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>