Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Total Quiz X, parte 3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Total Quiz X, parte 3
    Posted: 21-Jan-2005 at 15:10

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2005 at 15:15
Well, at least three letters were correct.

Serge, cavalry, no. Almost everyone do know who he is, directly or indirectly.

Edited by Styrbiorn
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2005 at 15:35
End Round 1

I'm afraid the first round is over, and no more answers will be accepted. Questions remaining unanswered is7 and 12, and a second round will be annouced soon.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2005 at 15:36
doh is it over yet?  i almost found another couple answers .... still digging...
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2005 at 15:40
It's over for all questions except #7 and #12 -  he will anounce those as part 2 in a little while.  You will have another 24 hours to get them right.
Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2005 at 15:45

And don't forget that on part 2 every correct answer to the remaining questions will receive double points!

Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2005 at 15:47
and we will get a hint
cavalry4ever View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Retired AE Moderator Emeritus

Quote cavalry4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2005 at 15:47
Can you tell us what was number 13?
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2005 at 15:48
he will post the answers  at some point in time (I forget when)
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2005 at 15:51
Second round beings... now

Two unanswered questions this time.

Read the hints and Good luck

Question in the second rond will be scored double (2 points question)

Click>> Click << Click

Time expires on SaturdayJanuary 22nd9 pm (CE time)

Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2005 at 16:00

Originally posted by Dawn

he will post the answers  at some point in time (I forget when)

Usually, very soon, i.e. after he manages to arrange the large post.

That, of course, unless our TQ Moderator decides to diverge from "tradition"

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2005 at 16:08

Tradition is to post them after the second round has finished

At least I've done that in the earlier parts, but I'm not quite sure how it was done in the beginning. ch, just for the heck of it, I'll search for Kolovrat's first version and see how he did - and I'll follow his example.

I'll calculate bonus points and add those first though.

Edited by Styrbiorn
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2005 at 16:22
Seems that didn't help, those were too "old-structure", and the first double round thread were deleted. Ah, well, I'll post the answers tonight(takes awhile to prepare though), so you won't have to be agonizing over those while answering the remaining questions.

I've added the bonus, and added the scoreboard to the initial post in this thread.

edit: sahaliyan knows how to use a google-machine; two more points to him.

Edited by Styrbiorn
Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2005 at 16:53

When Kolovrat was moderator, questions were directly answered on the thread.

The TQ assumed more or less the same form as it has now, (with Cyrus' web pages to submit answers) with TQ V part I, and the second moderator (guess who ), who posted first round's answer just some time after the second round start, hence my statement

However, do as you please. You are in charge, now!

[edited to fix the link]

Edited by Serge L
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2005 at 17:19
I was actually finished writing the answers - and then the browser crashed. First time in several months. 40 minutes of work thrown out of the window.

Edited by Styrbiorn
Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2005 at 17:30

Very upsetting indeed.

If it can confort you, it happened me too, and more than once.

Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2005 at 17:42
Just to Check "Metrological" is the correct spelling
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2005 at 17:47
Originally posted by Serge L

Very upsetting indeed.

If it can confort you, it happened me too, and more than once.

Yes, thanks, I laughed - Schadenfreude you know.

Dawn - reload the page, spelling corrected.
Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2005 at 17:51

Originally posted by Styrbiorn

Yes, thanks, I laughed - Schadenfreude you know.

Here we say "common evil, half a joy"

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2005 at 17:54
Total Quiz X part 3 Round 1

Answers of Cracked Questions

Q1: On a certain hour in 1967 this country changed from left to right hand driving. When, where and why was it done at this particular time. (by: Dawn)

A1: Sweden.Until 1967, driving was done on the left-hand side on roads in Sweden. The conversion to right-hand was done on a weekday at 5 p.m. All traffic stopped as people switched sides. This time and day were chosen to prevent accidents where drivers would have gotten up in the morning and been too sleepy to realize 'this' was the day of the changeover. http://www.corsinet.com/trivia/u-triv.html. The main reason of the change was to do something about the disastrous accident rate, caused by driving to the left - but still having the steering wheel on the left side of the car! It was a success, the accidents halfed overnight. Other reasons were complaining neighbours: the many roads going to Norway had not the border marked, which meant drivers had to guess where they were and drive on the corresponding side. Serge provided another link: http://www.i18nguy.com/driver-side.html
I decided to accept answers telling why the actual hour was changed, as well as some reasons of the change in the first place.

Those who answered completely: cavalry4ever, demon, Hellinas, Janus Rook, Komnenos, Serge L, TJK
Those who answered partially: Mixcoatl, Paul, sahaliyan

Q2: I can be considered a great guerilla leader. I was married twice and left my infant son to inheiret my titles. I lost many a battle but finally one a big one to win my country independence. I did not die in battle ,some conteperaries say I died of unclean ailments be that as it may, most of my body was buried in one place but part went elsewhere or so tradition says. Who am I? (by: Dawn)

A2: Robert I of Scotland - the Bruce.

Those who answered completely: Komnenos, Mixcoatl,sahaliyan, Serge L, Slickmeister, TJK

Q3: After whom was Benito Mussolini named? (by: Mixcoatl)

A3: Mexican revolutionary Benito Jurez

Those who answered completely: cavalry4ever, Dawn, demon, Gubuk Janggon, Hellinas, Janus Rook, Komnenos, Paul, sahaliyan, Serge L, TJK

Q4: In the 19th century linguistics discovered that a Romance language was nearly extinct. There was only one speaker of the language alive. He was not a native speaker, he learnt it on later age. At the moment linguistics started to use him for information about the language he hadn't spoken it for 20 years, had lost most of is teeth and was nearly deaf. He died in 1898 after he stepped on a landmine. 1) What his name? 2) What was the name of the language. (by: Mixcoatl)

A4: 1) Tuone Udaina (Antonio Udina in Italian) 2) Dalmatian

Those who answered completely: cavalry4ever, Dawn, demon, Hellinas, Komnenos, Paul, sahaliyan, Serge L, TJK

Q5: Which French general is said to have defeated the Dutch navy, which was frozen in a harbor, using hussars? (by: Mixcoatl)

A5: Charles Pichegru I also accepted Lieutenant-General Baron Lahure who admitedly was not a general at the time, but he did lead the hussars. Link provided by Serge and TJK: http://www.napoleonseries.org/articles/wars/jonge.cfm

Those who answered completely: cavalry4ever, Dawn, demon, Hellinas, Janus Rook, Komnenos, Paul, sahaliyan, Serge L, TJK

Q6: When the USA invaded Panama in 1989, Manuel Noriega sought refuge in the embassy of which country? (by: Mixcoatl)

A6: The Vatican State

Those who answered completely: cavalry4ever, Dawn, demon, Hellinas, Janus Rook, Komnenos, Paul, sahaliyan, Serge L, TJK

Q7: Not answered yet.

Q8: This little thing which most people in the developed part has seen was invented by Medieval monks to make their tasks more efficient and too shorten them. It goes under many names in different countries, though many collectively refer to either end of different animal's bodies. What is this thing? (by: styrbiorn)

A8: The @ symbol. Known in different countries as (elephant's)trunk-a, cat's tail, pig's tail etc, this little sign was invented by monks to shorten the very long word "at".

Those who answered completely: Dawn, sahaliyan

Q9: A women who lived during the Plague, and was married four times. The first was a forced marriage while she was very young, and this marriage would eventually cause her death. She held a very impressive title, perhaps the most holy of wordly titles. She was of a French family, but lived her whole life in another country, and her husbands were from three others. Who was she? (by: styrbiorn)

A9: Jeanne d'Anjou, Queen Regnant of Naples, Sicily and Sardinia, Queen of Jerusalem, etc, etc. She was involved in the murder of her first, very hated, Hungarian husband. Forty years later the relatives to the murdered husband avenged him, killed Jeanne and seized her lands, all on the pope's approval.

Those who answered completely: cavalry4ever, Dawn, Komnenos, Serge L

Q10: The answer here is a land of which the actual location is not exactly known. Some trivia about it: the place was konwn for two wise men's gifts, one of which once was used by a medicianal father to save Athens from a plague. People of the Nile occasionally traded with the country. Further, it is connected with the stories of a somewhat unfortunate man of the seas. (by: styrbiorn)

A10: Punt. The Egyptians sent several trading expeditions to acquire among other things myrrh and incences - the latter which Hippocrates, father of Medicine, used to cure Athens from the plague. The Shipwrecked Sailor also tells of this land.

Those who answered completely: cavalry4ever, Dawn, Komnenos, Mixcoatl, Serge

Q11: An island covered with man-made monstrosities, and even though it completely lacks wood to build ships the inhabitants once were among the greatest sailors of the world. Many of its ancient secrets were uncovered to the public by a Norwegian adventurer. The name of the island? (by: styrbiorn)

A11: Easter Island. The monstrosities are of course the stone heads. The people's ancestors were sea-faring Polynesians, but they used up all the wood and thus was stuck on the island. Adventurer Thor Heyerdahl got to know the locals and uncovered many secrets - including the fact the islanders still knew how to erect the huge stoneheads.

Those who answered completely: cavalry4ever, Dawn, Komnenos, Mixcoatl, Paul, sahaliyan, Serge L, TJK

Q12: Not answered yet.

Q13: Jules Verne is often, and correctly, accredited with the invention of the Science Fiction genre. However, a man living much earlier had written on a similar sort of novel, in which some of the action were taking place far out in the universe. Unfortunately he often did not comlete his ambitious projects, and this was one of them. Nonetheless he is directly or indirectly known by most people over the world - but less so in the Anglo part of it, since these people have a habit of keeping old ways of evaluating things. What is the name of the man, and what was this mentioned place far out in the universe? (by: styrbiorn)

A13: Anders Celsius, inventor of the Celsius/centigrade scale and adherent thermometre. The place was the Sirius star. Maybe I was a little dirty here - "Anglo" should really have been American, but since the Commonwealth nations switched rather recently I let it pass.

Those who answered completely: Komnenos

Q14: I was killed by the first bomb dropped on Berlin by the allies who/what am I? (by: Dawn)

A14: A poor elephant! The very first bomb dropped by the Allies on Berlin during World War II killed the only elephant in the Berlin Zoo. http://www.corsinet.com/trivia/u-triv.html

Those who answered completely: cavalry4ever, demon, Hellinas, Janus Rook, Komnenos, Mixcoatl, Paul, sahaliyan, Serge L, TJK

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>