Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Athlon 64 x2 V. Pentium D

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Athlon 64 x2 V. Pentium D
    Posted: 26-Mar-2007 at 17:08
Do use any virtualisation software like VMware or the Microsoft version?
Arrrgh!!"
Scorpian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Scorpian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 04:30
I have avoided going down the VMware road in the past with preference to keeping OS segregated. 
    I take it virtualisation software has become more reliable?   I've a spare computer with windows 2003 server doing nought so I could experiment a little if 2003 can be set to play host. If it works out okay then it would make things easier for me.
  What do you reckon is the best? VMWare or Microsoft? I'm leaning more to Microsoft for obvious reasons though VMWare may be the better software.

Edited by Scorpian - 27-Mar-2007 at 10:36
Scorpian
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 10:36
Depends what you are doing. VMware is more powerfull and faster, but some people prefer Virtual PC for ease of use. For my needs VMware is superior as it has good support for non Windows based Operating systems as well as Windows, which is a plus for me as i like to test and muck about wih Linux.
There is a 'Shoot out' article comparing the two here

Virtual PC comes free if you get that MSDN alliance thing, where as VMware Workstation edition is somewhat costly. However, here is a VWware server edition that does everything you need that is free to download, and if you already have virtual machines set up (unlikely, but you can download them), then VMware Player will do the job.

Both VMware Workstaion and Virtual PC have free trial peroids AFAIK.

I've been toying with the idea od using some old 8-10 GB hard drives i have lying around as boot drives for various OSs, but the effort of swapping them all around would be a pain in the arse, i guess a hot-swap HD bay is in order, but at the moment i'm not sure if its worth the hassle (or cost).
Arrrgh!!"
Scorpian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Scorpian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 11:02
   I looked into Microsoft virtual pc 2007 but according to the system requirements 2003 server can't play host.Unhappy  Seems they have geared the 2007 version for Vista related OS though XP pro would do.
                                          So I jumped in and
    I downloaded and installed it anyway and got a message saying 2003 maybe could be host(LOLseems to be working okay)Thumbs%20Up 
        but wouldn't be supported by microsoft.Thumbs%20DownConfused If it works then why not support itWacko

Anyways going to locate that VMWare software you mentioned and see about downloading and do some comparing before I commit. Though I may have to think about using another comp running XP pro if I can't get 2003 server to run proper as host.

You and I are thinking the same about Hard Drives though I'm now thinking more of an external USB hard drive. Do you reckon you could Virtual PC an external hard drive with various OS and access via a normal computer without too much hassle?

Edited by Scorpian - 27-Mar-2007 at 11:20
Scorpian
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 11:18
Deffinitly, i use a portable 20GB USB hard drive, and move them back and fore between home and college. The virtual hard drives don't do anything to your real operating system save for taking up space. If your Virtualisation software can read from it, you can use it, you could use DVD ROM if you wanted too i guess if you wanted to.

You can get the free server edition of VMware here

I've not actualy used it, but i hear it can do pretty much everything that the Workstation version can, only its slightly older.
Arrrgh!!"
Scorpian View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Scorpian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 17:26
 I've got the VMWare free server edition downloading. Thumbs%20Up
       It doesn't matter that it's an older version so long as it fulfills basic requirement and does the job for now.  If things work out then I'll upgrade to a newer version at a later date.

Thanks for the info and links

Scorpian
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2007 at 05:01
Cywr, I hope you haven't bought your new pc yet, because I found a test in Latvian IT and computer tech. portal which might interest you.

They are testing three different processors - AMD Athlon 64 3000+, Pentium4 2.4c and Pentium4 2.4c@3GHz (over clocked)

You can check out the graphs from different testing software:
http://www.boot.lv/index.php?pg=202&news_id=626

I translated "conclusions" for you:
Athlon 64 shows very good performance on 32 bit applications, while it is intended for 64 bit applications. Only on few tests Athlon lost to Pentium. Besides the largest defeat was experienced by Athlon in PCMark04 test, due to Pentium's HyperThreading technology which was very essential for that test.
Athlon showed himself very good on 32 bit video games, so we just have to wait for 64 bit games where Athlon could show its true power.
In archiving task even overclocked Pentium system considerably lagged behind the Athlon. Athlon's memory controller showed good performance. Besides Intel was very skeptical about this Athlon's innovation. Furthermore in this task Athlon worked only in single channel regime. In dual channel regime Athlon would be unreachable for Intel systems.

I hope this will help you to make decision.

Edited by axeman - 28-Mar-2007 at 05:02
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2007 at 09:03
Hmm, thats a slightly older AMD single core chip, there are 4000+s now that are even faster and still reasonably priced. AMD is the king of single core, i have no doubt about that.

I've been thinking of making a cheap single core machine, but what i need to know is: will an AGP card work in a PCI-Ex16 slot?
This would make a single core option nice and cheap, as all i really need is the CPU and motherboard.

Edit: No, you can't.

Edited by Cywr - 28-Mar-2007 at 16:56
Arrrgh!!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12