Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Most...Stubborn Balkan Nation?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Most...Stubborn Balkan nation?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [8.11%]
2 [5.41%]
3 [8.11%]
5 [13.51%]
3 [8.11%]
3 [8.11%]
12 [32.43%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [5.41%]
1 [2.70%]
3 [8.11%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most...Stubborn Balkan Nation?
    Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 18:58
So,who is the most stubborn nation in the Balkans?Wink
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 19:06
My vote goes to Serbia, absolutely superb tenacity in WWI and admirable partisan performance in WWII.
Timotheus View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Timotheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 22:33
Turkey - stubborn in a bad way.
Opium is the religion of the masses.

From each according to his need, to each according to his ability.
Dan Carkner View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Dan Carkner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 22:38
Montenegro, they held out against everybody!
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 22:45
Serbia, though I won't use the word "stubborn". They held their land from Ottoman Empire for some time, and resisted fiercely against Austria and later, Austria-Hungary. They held outnumbered, against better equiped Austrian armies... and they did so without the help of Russians until the Germans came... and even then, they were able to successfully escape, only to strike at other times. Though I would often question their policies and their... overwhelming feeling of nationalism... Serbia is the nation worthy of respect.

Join us.
kasper View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote kasper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2007 at 00:39
For sure Montenegro.
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2007 at 04:58

Disputed question with possible disputed meanings. lol

We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Brainstorm View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Brainstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2007 at 05:31
Originally posted by pekau

Serbia, though I won't use the word "stubborn". They held their land from Ottoman Empire for some time, .

After the battle of Kossovo 1396- Serbian princes (with few exceptions) where simply puppies of the Ottomans...that s why they "held their land for some time".
Anyway "stubborn" could be interpreted in many ways!
http://protostrator.blogspot.com
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2007 at 06:26

Serbia, though I won't use the word "stubborn". They held their land from Ottoman Empire for some time,

Brainstorm wrote:
After the battle of Kossovo 1396- Serbian princes (with few exceptions) where simply puppies of the Ottomans...that s why they "held their land for some time".
Anyway "stubborn" could be interpreted in many ways!

The holding of land for some time doesn't go much for Serbia, they weren't able to hold on too much...This is true for some other instances.

But not many of the Serbian princes became "puppies" of Ottomans...This is also true for some instances but not Serbia, which had been mostly under direct control of Ottoman Empire.
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2007 at 07:25
I think Turkey can't be considereed a part of the balkan.

I mean I think personaly the first 4 in the list aren't nations in of the Balkan
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2007 at 07:28
geez, that question is like comparing apples with apples
Dan Carkner View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Dan Carkner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2007 at 11:03
OK, let's have a thread about the best kind of apples ;)
Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2007 at 11:28
I voted Croatia for their stubbornness at maintaining with us old issues dating from WWII (for instance, proibition for Italian to own land in Croatia).
However, they will had to can them if the want to join the Union.
Jagatai Khan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2007 at 11:47
Originally posted by Timotheus

Turkey - stubborn in a bad way.

Care to explain more?
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2007 at 13:50
Originally posted by Dan Carkner

OK, let's have a thread about the best kind of apples ;)
ok
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2007 at 16:03
I like teh Granny smith apples the best hmmmmmmmmmmmmm GrannyTongue

if this poll wasn't started by a well respected member like Spartakus I would think this was a ment as  flame bate.

because most of who is the most..........threads are or end up in one

Edited by xi_tujue - 18-Mar-2007 at 16:06
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2007 at 23:57
Originally posted by Serge L

I voted Croatia for their stubbornness at maintaining with us old issues dating from WWII (for instance, proibition for Italian to own land in Croatia).
However, they will had to can them if the want to join the Union.

That is because the Italians have been trying to take away Croatian coastal lands for centuries. I completely understand their phobia of Italian landownership.

My vote goes to Serbia, stuborn in a bad way. An almost nonexisten diplomacy, bad human rights record, tenacity to start wars.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2007 at 00:06

Serbia, though I won't use the word "stubborn". They held their land from Ottoman Empire for some time, and resisted fiercely against Austria and later, Austria-Hungary. They held outnumbered, against better equiped Austrian armies... and they did so without the help of Russians until the Germans came... and even then, they were able to successfully escape, only to strike at other times. Though I would often question their policies and their... overwhelming feeling of nationalism... Serbia is the nation worthy of respect.

Anyone could have beated Austria in 1914, they were the sick man of Europe, just like the Ottoman state had been in 1800. Austria is on par with Italy in this time period when it comes to military efficiency, which was virtually non existant. The only miltary trump card they had was their military alliance with the German Empire, whose Army was the best and most efficient in Europe, and could spare men in the early stages to help the Austrian infantry out, alongside, invading France, and Russia, truly an amazing feat even though their effort had been futile from the start. They had Bosnia, Hungary with all their dependancies on their side and lost to an overwhelming Ottoman army, thereafter, they were vassals to the Ottoman Sultan, they had no say in any matter, the principalities were virtually a part of the Ottoman Empire. The only two countries that actually held out would be Bosnia, and Croatia for decades during the Ottoman conquest of the Balkans.
Balaam View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Suspended

Quote Balaam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2007 at 08:24
So thats what/where the Balkans are.....
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2007 at 09:27
Originally posted by Balaam

So thats what/where the Balkans are.....
?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>