Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Military Duty in your Land ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Military Duty in your Land ?
    Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 05:01
I myself are called a  Drueckeberger (german word for shirker?), cause i never made any miltary service. In Germany, where i grew up, exists the general conscription. I myself was , like you all have guessed already, a draft resister.
I had to do an alternative service, which lasts 24 months, while the regular milatary service was 18 month.
This is now 30 years ago, and now i think in Germany the regular service lasts 9 months, while Iceland has no military service.
What's about you ? Do you have to support your army, like i didn't ?

Edited by ulrich von hutten - 17-Mar-2007 at 05:03

Brainstorm View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Brainstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 06:10
Military service in Greece is obligatory and lasts 12 months for the army,some 14 fore air-force and navy.

I m serving at the moment.(fortunately i have 3 days off!Smile)

My personal G3A3
http://protostrator.blogspot.com
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 06:16
how is it? r u enjoying yourself?
Baron
Baron

Quote Brainstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 06:39
Enjoy? Smile
Come on its an obligation...
I mean i could do 1000 more interesting things this year,instead of guarding a place for 6 hours at night,cleaning toilets,marching up and down...

But of course it has its funny aspects,meeting people/making friends-learning to cope with them etc.
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 06:47
Originally posted by Brainstorm

Enjoy? Smile
Come on its an obligation...
I mean i could do 1000 more interesting things this year,instead of guarding a place for 6 hours at night,cleaning toilets,marching up and down...

But of course it has its funny aspects,meeting people/making friends-learning to cope with them etc.

you mustn't go to army to meet people and clean  toilets. am i right ?

Baron
Baron

Quote Brainstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 06:58
There is shooting,marching,teaching about military issues...

But meeting people and cleaning toilets is unavoidable! Big%20smile
(and sometimes more interesting! LOL)
Giannis View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Giannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 06:59
No, you don't. But, there are some very interesting characters that you might didn't get the chance to meet with them, if you didn't have to live with them.
Give me a place to stand and I will move the world.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 08:54
dam, they do make u clean toilets like in the movies. At least you get to shootTongue
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2007 at 07:37

The Netherlands disabolished military draft about 10-15 years ago. It was only for men so I would not have had to do it anyway, but if I would have, I would have been a 'consciencious refuser'. Like you, Ullrich...

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2007 at 08:13
Well I have Turkish citezenship but I won't be drafted in the Traditional sence(not 16 months)

I will pay 10.000 or in that range mabey less and go to a millitary base/resort in Antalya for 3 weeksCool.

Edited by xi_tujue - 18-Mar-2007 at 08:14
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
erkut View Drop Down
General
General
Persona non Grata

Quote erkut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2007 at 08:54
Originally posted by xi_tujue

Well I have Turkish citezenship but I won't be drafted in the Traditional sence(not 16 months)

I will pay 10.000 or in that range mabey less and go to a millitary base/resort in Antalya for 3 weeksCool.

Yea like a holiday campTongue
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2007 at 09:27
Originally posted by erkut

Originally posted by xi_tujue

Yea like a holiday campTongue

exactomundoBig%20smile
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2007 at 09:33
we don't have it in australia but i belong to that old conservative mind set that thinks its a good thing.

My conscription in greece only gets activated if i move there, basically if i stay for longer than 3 months (or 6 Ermm?). i have no issues doing my 6 months or so if that is required and my Greek improves

Edited by Leonidas - 18-Mar-2007 at 09:33
New User View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote New User Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2007 at 10:01
Uk and no draft here, far to lazy for that. Although I sometimes think it would be a good idea, I would have hated it.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2007 at 11:20
- UK: nope...Though I think it is something productive for adolescent males.

- Iran: I can go back for three months at a time once a year without being conscripted, so long as I have a stamp in my passport that states I am a foreign resident, this stamp must be renewed every three years.  Otherwise one can buy off his military service.

I have only been back once in 20 years and that was for three weeks in 2003.  My dad's not been back once since he is too scared after what they did to some of his old comrades when they were either lured and kidnapped abroad or returned home.

Edited by Zagros - 18-Mar-2007 at 11:20
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2007 at 11:33
It can be done as a service for country but the period of time for it, is really, unnecessarily too much in many countries....
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2007 at 14:12
Originally posted by Zagros

...I think it is something productive for adolescent males...

True.

I have only been back once in 20 years and that was for three weeks in 2003.  My dad's not been back once since he is too scared after what they did to some of his old comrades when they were either lured and kidnapped abroad or returned home.

Were you nervous going there considering your dad's feelings/experiences?

Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2007 at 19:25
I will be probably called in 2009. when my 3 years in the university end, and have to serve 8 months. But maybe i'll be one of many who don't have to go, or maybe they'll find me not suitable for health reasons.
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2007 at 20:01
Originally posted by Hellios

...I think it is something productive for adolescent males...

True.

Were you nervous going there considering your dad's feelings/experiences?

The feeling I had was just overwhelming when I first saw Tehran's city lights from the air, all of that was the last thing on my mind and, my uncle and cousins go back very regularly and if they were going to do anything to family members they always have plenty of us in Iran to use for blackmail.
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2007 at 06:34
I normally should have been drafter last year, but as a student I have the right* to not do my service until 2014. I suppose I'll do it when I finish my university studies, and that would probably be in 2010-2011.

Now, about its usefulness, I have to say that for Greece its simply unavoidable, for a number of reasons.
What concerns me however is that many say the service is full of crappy stuff, and very little actual training and shooting. So, most soldiers feel that it's just a waste of time. That was the reason I enlisted to the special forces. We'll see (how long it will be before I quit and I'm transferred to the infantry, cleaning toillets ;))

*because of the lack of manpower, it is said (and it is very probable it will happen) that since 2008 all males will do their service when they're 18 (or 19? -well, something around this age before higher education)

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>