Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why was Britain able to establish an Empire?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why was Britain able to establish an Empire?
    Posted: 11-Mar-2007 at 20:27
Originally posted by Maharbbal

Problem: other nations got into slave slave trade but it is England that started the Industrial Revolution not the others (Netherland, France, Portugal).
Why? So triangular trade may have been a necessary condition but certainly not a sufficient one.

Yes. I agree Indeed. England is the only nation of those that had a Newton and a James Watt. That made the difference. However, the availability of financial resources helped.

Then there is another problem: chronology. Quite logically the English American empire happened before not after the appearance of the trade so it cannot explain it. The relationship between slave trade and the Indian side of empire is also very dubious (see Brenner's book on the London Merchants). Hence slave trade is just an element of Britain's power and by no mean THE reason.

Slavery and piracy where the starting engines.

I wouldn't say either that greed is a sufficient explaination: were the English the only greedy in the world? Were they the greediest? How do you measure a people greediness?

No. They weren't the only ones at all. It was an European fashion at those times.

Other factors may have played:
England was the oldest nation-state in Europe (and island indeed which decresed the importance of the government as a provider of violence).
A rather free society helped as well.

It is strange though that such a free-society promoted piracy and slavery for a long time. And that cutting heads of fine ladies at court was part of the British entertainment during those days.

And lets not forget luck, many countries having  known their days of glory but somehow Britain managed to lock in its advantage

Yes. They were lucky. No doubt about it.

Pinguin

New User View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
  Quote New User Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2007 at 14:35
Not much historical facts here just sort of anti British sweeping statements
Cryptic View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cryptic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2007 at 16:11
Originally posted by xi_tujue

The british never had an empire in a classical sence.

They did alot of "sneaky" stuff tobecome so powerfull as they were.
I have said this and will say it agian The Brittish empire was a trade empire nothing more.

So the British Empire had the following characteristics....
-Force is used only a last resort.  Instead, economic and political pressures are tried first
When force is needed....   
- Small numbers of experienced  regiments are employed
-They use technology, communications, and mobility to leverage their relatively small numbers
-When possible, they work closely with armed Pro British locals

These methods then create a long lasting Empire that economically enriches Britian.  This is not "sneaky".  Rather, it is very efficient,  intelligent and leads to fewer British and fewer colonial casualties.   Contrast this approach to the brutal Imperial  Japanese approach. 

Edited by Cryptic - 13-Mar-2007 at 16:44
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2007 at 16:24
Originally posted by Cryptic

I have said this and will say it agian The Brittish empire was a trade empire nothing more.

So the Brtish Empire had the following characteristcs....
-Force is used only a last resort.  Instead, economic and political pressures are tried first
When force is needed....   
- Small numbers of expereinced  regiments are employed
-They use technology, communications, and mobility to leverage their relatively small numbers
-When possible, they work closely with armed Pro British locals

These methods then create a long lasting Empire that economically enriches Britian.  This is not "sneaky".  Rather, it is very efficient,  intelligent and leads to fewer British and fewer colonial casualties.   Contrast this approach to the Imperial  Japanese approach. 

Very true, Cryptic. Smile

Join us.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2007 at 17:01
Originally posted by New User

Not much historical facts here just sort of anti British sweeping statements

True, indeed. Something like the Anti-Spanish (Black Legend) statements we see quite often in the English languages sources LOL

(That was my point, anyways)
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2007 at 19:33

What is the "classical sense" of Empire?

Such as? Besides its sounds a bit too romantic to say that there are sneaky empire building methods and straightforward ones

Once more what is a "trade empire"? What's the "more"? Your case will be difficult to defend in regard with South Africa, America or Nigeria.

Also they kept there neigbours sadisfied due to the whole "Balance of power" stuff

Well the least you can say is that the Portugese, the Dutch and the French were all but satisfied in regard with the colonial situation. You apparently mistaking the position of England on the European mainland and overseas.

they only fought battles abroad long way from home and mostly other people did the fighting.

It is not untrue but it was the case of each and every European army overseas.  To an extent in many case (India and the Americas for instance) the English used less native troups than other European powers.

Not conquering but econmicly exploiting people was the goal

I am not quite sure to get the difference. Once more what about North America, the Carabbeans and South Africa?

thats all

That's hardly an end... to be continued.
I am a free donkey!
New User View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote New User Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2007 at 18:16
So if we can agree that trade (including slavery) were major factors in the British Empire .I would suggest we have to look at what made it possible for us to partake so greatly in trade. ie the role of transport, stability of nation, control of shipping routes etc

Anyone fancy starting out. How did Britain become such a major sea power?

Edited by New User - 14-Mar-2007 at 18:17
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2007 at 19:13
@ New user, I think you got it right in the first part of your post but then restricted the question with the old and often debated topic of the naval superiority. Which btw was all but established before the period 1680-1730.

So I propose: what made it possible for the dirty Brits to partake so greatly in trade. What was the role of transport, stability of nation, control of shipping routes?

Exiting!
I am a free donkey!
New User View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote New User Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2007 at 19:34
I see your point and agree, thanks. A much better proposal with which to answer the thread.

Wink

Kashmiri View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Kashmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2007 at 19:47
british stole a lot things from india like all the mughal jewels
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2007 at 19:57
Originally posted by Kashmiri

British are famous historical artifact thieves.
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2007 at 20:42
Originally posted by Kapikulu

Originally posted by Kashmiri

British are famous historical artifact thieves.

LOL the Mughal jewels were stolen by the pirate captain Kidd from other Englishmen who were protecting the convoy. The parthenon marbles have been put in a museum and the fanstastic collections of the Summer Palace have been locked in the Queen's private collection. No fuel from the economy.

It seems difficult for many to accept that the Brits' success comes from their business skills and not their ruthlessness.
I am a free donkey!
Crusader3943 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Crusader3943 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 08:53
Britain was the greatest naval power for a long time.
Crusader3943
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 11:07
For the role of slavery in the development of the British economy please see the summary of Eltis and Engerman (2000).
I am a free donkey!
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 12:26

Also they kept there neigbours sadisfied due to the whole "Balance of power" stuff

they only fought battles abroad long way from home and mostly other people did the fighting.

Not conquering but econmicly exploiting people was the goal

thats all

True to some extent. They were invincible in sea warfare, but they met many defeats in land, such as Boars War.

Join us.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12