Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

All Battles Quiz

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
Neoptolemos View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Neoptolemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: All Battles Quiz
    Posted: 12-Mar-2007 at 17:32
Congratulations to Knights for the 1st place, well done! Clap
Congratulations also to Preator, Dawn and TJK (don't let his 5th place fool you) for challenging him!
Thanks to Rider and Northman for their efforts in running the quiz.
That was a nice, "marathonian" quiz, I enjoyed it and, as usually, I learned new things from it.

- About Q15: Do you mean the Battle of Perryville during the American Civil War? If yes, I'm stupid for not answering it; not that it would have made a difference, but at least I would have been awarded 2 points for my effort to learn about Kentucky's history Tongue)

Edited by Neoptolemos - 12-Mar-2007 at 17:33
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2007 at 17:48
Originally posted by Neoptolemos

Congratulations also to Preator, Dawn and TJK (don't let his 5th place fool you) for challenging him!

Clap

Congratulations to Knights for the 1st place, well done! Clap 

Clap Clap

Thanks to Rider and Northman for their efforts in running the quiz.

Clap Clap Clap

Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2007 at 18:34
Originally posted by rider

Now, the battle was unnamed in the source where I took it from but was stated that the capture of Java was due to this; the Japanese had 30 troop transports, some destroyers and cruisers and were commanded by Rear-Admiral Kondo. The enemy fleet was however much larger and led by Admiral Doormann (spelled as that). The source was 'A Concise Military History' by Lord Montgomery so I don't think he was wrong.

I don't know how reliable Wikipedia is as a source, but out there, it is stated that Japanese had 14 destroyers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Java_Sea

And as Allied losses were excessive, and Java Island was invaded as a result of this night battle,  this exactly fits the Battle of Java Sea. However, while Adm. Kondo had the supreme command in the naval front in East Indies, Takeo Takagi was the commander of that force that was involved at the battle.

After seeing that Japanese had more than 10 military vessels in the battle, I thought of Battle of Badung Strait, a night battle in which Doorman's navy had 19 military vessels, while Japanese had 6, however that battle was of minor importance regarding invasion of Java, and only 1 vessel was sunk.

Admiral Doorman was killed in the Battle of Java Sea as well.
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2007 at 18:35
And, it would be interesting to know the answers of people who got those 0.4 points out of questions, if possible.
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Bonde View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Bonde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2007 at 19:35
It was a good Quiz with challenging questions and with very easy ones in the beginning. After only a quick look at the answers I now wonder if anyone please can tell me more about the Wada Rebellion. I think that I have never heard or then I have completely forgotten about the Wada rebellion. According to Wikipedia it was against the Hojo family in 1213. I can't even find an article about it on Wikipedia. A very difficult question in my opinion.
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2007 at 20:57
Rider's in-forum tips were extremely helpfulWink

He said "What's the main site for?", there was an article about Wada rebellion in the main site.

And the word "Dutch" regarding Admiral Doorman was of a big help as well.

we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2007 at 21:09

bonde - very difficult question unless you look on the AE main site where there is an article written by rider

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2007 at 00:55
Firstly, I would like to say thank you to everyone in general. Smile

Thank you Rider for the well-run quiz, and hard work put into it. Ditto for your partner in crime Northman. Clap Very dedicated.

Praetor, excellent work coming second, I know it was very much a marathon of a quiz. StarStar

Dawn, ever so close and consistent as usual. My congratulations go out to you StarStar

Neoptolemos. Fantastic effort this quiz, best I've seen yet of you and I'm sure you will be big competition as of now - great come from behind too. StarStar

TJK - What a struggle for first place throughout most of the quiz. You were the one who motivated me to keep striving for more answers. StarStar

Hugo and Omar, some great questions in there, Rider too. Pity about Borodino...Omar!...I would have to say that Q18 was my favourite. Thumbs%20Up

So congratulations all, looking forward to future competition. Cool

On a final note, many of you may know that Praetor and I work as a team for total quiz, but were not allowed to this quiz. Still, the competition between us was fun, and despite me having a lot more time on my hands, he still managed to get second - Bravo.

Peace - Knights Approve

Praetor View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Praetor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2007 at 01:07
well done everyoneThumbs%20Up especially AE's first All Battles Champion Knights and of course Dawn who always gives me and Knights a run for our money.
Neoptolemos performed excellently and seemed to come out of nowwhere I must say I was impressed.
TJK for a while you looked unbeatable and if you had kept it up you could easily have been the champion.

I would also like to salute the moderators Rider and Northman for thier creativity and dedicationClap

As for me I was unable to dedicate that much time to the quiz as unlike in the last two quizes I have been extremely busy. So until next time.....Evil%20Smile

Edited by Praetor - 13-Mar-2007 at 01:09
TJK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2007 at 06:04

Congratulation for mods and participants of this interesting quiz ! Clap

Kudos to Knights whose performance was just outstanding.ClapClapClap

As for me I would say looking for answers of Q20/Q21 make me completely exhausted I checked nearly 500 samurai names and missing the raiders hint given on forum..Confused

For the Q8 Im afraid Kapikulu is right . It seems Montgomerys work is not accurate and the Wikipedia article is based on the best work on this subject (van Oosten, F. C. The Battle of the Java Sea). Monty probably mixed up overall Dutch East Indies campaign with battles of  Badung Strait and Java Sea.

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2007 at 06:06
Yes, what is the deal with question 8 exactly? I could not find any direct reasoning/evidence for the engagement...but then again, I did not look at every single book and website...
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2007 at 07:40
Originally posted by TJK

Congratulation for mods and participants of this interesting quiz ! Clap

Kudos to Knights whose performance was just outstanding.ClapClapClap

As for me I would say looking for answers of Q20/Q21 make me completely exhausted I checked nearly 500 samurai names and missing the raiders hint given on forum..Confused

For the Q8 Im afraid Kapikulu is right . It seems Montgomerys work is not accurate and the Wikipedia article is based on the best work on this subject (van Oosten, F. C. The Battle of the Java Sea). Monty probably mixed up overall Dutch East Indies campaign with battles of  Badung Strait and Java Sea.

You are the champion of hearts, TJKWink...All the community hopes to see you much more frequently on the forum.
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2007 at 15:30
Thanks everyone. It seems you enjoyed it.

Indeed, both, questions 13 and 20/21 were answerable by the main site (articles 'Battle on the Ice' and 'Wada Rebellion'). Actually, the hint in 13th contained the word 'fountains'. If you searched for that on the Main Site search engine, you'd had found two answers containing the word - one of them the article.

If you want to hear/see that partially correct answers, then you must wait until tomorrow.

And by the word 'Dutch' I hoped to make you all believe it was a battle amongst the European Dutch lands and England or France... didn't work out so (although I got a lot of answers with English and French names too).
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2007 at 15:42
Originally posted by rider

Actually, the hint in 13th contained the word 'fountains'. If you searched for that on the Main Site search engine, you'd had found two answers containing the word - one of them the article

"wet grave" worked well enough for me. In fact, the questions 13 and 20/21 were worded the exact same way as the article, which made things a whole lot easierSmile.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2007 at 15:45
That was the point. For you guys to use the main site... that however became my goal later on... Anyways, expect to see such questions in upcoming quizzes too.
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2007 at 21:21
Congrats Knights and Preator very well done. Clap
TJK again really good to see you playing again. Hug 
Rider and Northman thanks for all the effort. Star
It was quite differant than any other quiz which was nice for a change.The extra long time has it's advantages.

Question 12 which gave us so much trouble: I have to relate a very ironic thing that has just developed.

back in round one I sent a message to rider saying that the quote was from a book "the price of glory" and I didn't have it so I was not going to guess anymore( frustration speaking) Now many of you may know I own a  used book store (among other things) I had gone and looked in the store and didn't fine the book in the appropriate spot and i know it wasn't in my own books hence I didn't have access to it.  Today I was rearranging books in the store,got a bunch of new shelving and was putting it to use. I picked up a stack of books and there it was "The Price of Glory" by Alistair Horne. Ouch   Cry Dead ( if there was a smiley of hitting ones head against a wall I would use it several times) Now I may have to read the *&%&*($# thing just because.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2007 at 21:28
Originally posted by Dawn

Congrats Knights and Preator very well done. Clap
Rider and Northman thanks for all the effort. Star
It was quite differant than any other quiz which was nice for a change.The extra long time has it's advantages.

Question 12 which gave us so much trouble: I have to relate a very ironic thing that has just developed.

back in round one I sent a message to rider saying that the quote was from a book "the price of glory" and I didn't have it so I was not going to guess anymore( frustration speaking) Now many of you may know I own a  used book store (among other things) I had gone and looked in the store and didn't fine the book in the appropriate spot and i know it wasn't in my own books hence I didn't have access to it.  Today I was rearranging books in the store,got a bunch of new shelving and was putting it to use. I picked up a stack of books and there it was "The Price of Glory" by Alistair Horne. Ouch   Cry Dead ( if there was a smiley of hitting ones head against a wall I would use it several times) Now I may have to read the *&%&*($# thing just because.

Oh my goodness ShockedShockedShockedShockedShocked That must really, really suck. I feel your pain...and frustration! garh! The quote turned out being in a comment by a random person, on the amazon bookstore site for price of glory, how obscure. Good job anyway Dawn - you had me mighty scared at the end there! Smile
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2007 at 22:03
yup that is where I found it too. (the quote) but I could have read the darn thing in the time alotted and had it over and done.

you had me mighty scared at the end there! Smile
at the end there wasn't enough points availible for me to catch you Wink it was in the middle that should of scared you but i'm sure you where too busy to even notice. Anyways well done very good win on your part.

Gargoyle View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Gargoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2007 at 03:34

Gargoyle must Congratulate QuizChamp Knights on his Remarkable Achiement...

Well Done Knights!

Your Country is so Proud of you!

TJK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2007 at 08:46
Originally posted by Kapikulu

You are the champion of hearts, TJKWink...All the community hopes to see you much more frequently on the forum.

Originally posted by Dawn

Well, I'm glad to see my old friends Smile.
The time I can spent on forums is actualy  very limited as my 1,5 year son is very time-consumig person., however I hope to visit AE a little more frequently then in last 2 years.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>