Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Imperialism... was is good or bad?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Online Status: Offline
  Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Imperialism... was is good or bad?
    Posted: 17-Feb-2007 at 05:59
I always thought that Imperialism over Third World countries had negative impact, but some articles that I read supports the fact that Imperialism did made some good impacts, such as the estiblishment of railways, etc. What do you think?

Join us.
Dan Carkner View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Dan Carkner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2007 at 10:20
Well naturally Europeans would want to play up the positive aspects, heh heh :(

I would say that it's extremely bad across the board, and that any positive things can't necessarily be attributed to Imperialism.  Take the example of Japan, it wasn't Colonized and yet it has long  been more advanced than countries which were given the "blessings" of colonization..
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2007 at 11:04
The US hasn't done too badly.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2007 at 11:30
Colonization, I believe, it was a logical and tragical consecuence of a fact: the world was isolated and someone has to put it together.

The consecuences for the world varied. We all know the negative side, but also there were positives. These are, in my oppinion, the impact that produced in the world.

(1) Europe:
Positive: spread of its people and culture worldwide. Become unbelievable rich, and powerful allowing the development of science, technologies and arts taking the lead in mankind development.
Negative: It lost so many people in the fight for supremacy.

(2) Americas:
Positive: There was a tecnological quantum leap, taking out the continent from a relave backwarness to have some of the most dynamic societies on the planet, with young and creative peoples.
Negative: The destruction of Native American peoples and cultures, the large scale mixing that altered the original genetical makeup of the region, massive slavery, massive immigration of allienated peoples. Lack of identity.

(3) Middle East:
Positive: The West focused somewhere else.
Negative: During the process North Africa was colonized by Europe. Europeans started to switch the power ballance in theirs favor.

(4) Central Asia:
Positive: Spread of the Western cultures through Russia.
Negative: Destruction of local cultures

(5) India:
Positive: Major upgrade of India culture, taking it out of a state of relative decadence to the modern world.
Negative: Standing the tyrany of a foreign power.

(6) East Asia:
Positive: Introduccion of modern science and technology.
Negative: Abuses commited by the colonial powers, like the Opium war and others. Waking up Japan as another colonial power more.

(7) Australia and the Pacific:
Positive: Bringing people to the modern world.
Negative: Genocide and extermination of Native Cultures.

(8) Subsaharan Africa (considering Muslim colonization too):
Positive: Introduccion of tecnologies in a people that had a very rudimentary lifestyle. Things like writing and the dhow were introduced by the Arabs. Railroads and modern medicine by the Europeans. Spreading of Africans around the world.
Negative: The explotation of slavery. The chaos produced after Independency.

Pinguin

pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2007 at 11:32
Originally posted by Dan Carkner

Well naturally Europeans would want to play up the positive aspects, heh heh :(

I would say that it's extremely bad across the board, and that any positive things can't necessarily be attributed to Imperialism.  Take the example of Japan, it wasn't Colonized and yet it has long  been more advanced than countries which were given the "blessings" of colonization..

Well it seems that (as usual here) the West is the bad guy.  However, I would argue that the "imperial age" of the 19th and early 20th centuries resulted in more good than bad.  Perhaps it is a matter of being "admirable in the abstract; less so in detail."  Subjective no doubt.

And Japan? Confused  Of course there were no negative aspects of Japanese imperialism 1904/05 to 1945, right?  I don't think Japan brought much that was positive to the imperial experience.

It depends on whose empires we are talking about.  The topic is imperialism.  What about the Mughal empire or the Chinese empire or the "empire" of the US (if Puerto Rico and the Phillipines constitute an empire)?

It has fascinated me that this group of forums is "All Empires" and almost everything having to do with empires is always referred to in the negative.

Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2007 at 11:50
Imperialism was mainly negative because it destroyed pre-industrial ,agricultural societies due to the fact that they had to do in a few decades what European  societies did in a period of centuries.Most of the modern problems of the Third World were caused by that.It's not that Africans were lazy,they simply had a different social organization and a different concept for life,which the Imperialists crushed in the name of development.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Dan Carkner View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Dan Carkner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2007 at 12:02
Originally posted by pikeshot1600

It has fascinated me that this group of forums is "All Empires" and almost everything having to do with empires is always referred to in the negative.

It's not that crazy, considering the experience of people subjected to imperialism has been very negative..

I gave the example of Japan as a country that adopted western ways and technology without having it forced on them by a colonial apparatus.  So if someone is saying "India/wherever would be backwards without the british empire", perhaps, or perhaps it would be at the level of Japan instead..
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2007 at 12:04
pikeshot,the Imperial period is really interesting and positive,but mainly for the Imperialists.
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2007 at 15:54
Originally posted by Spartakus

pikeshot,the Imperial period is really interesting and positive,but mainly for the Imperialists.

Well, then I will remain an unapologetic imperialist.

A.E.I.O.U.

Wink

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2007 at 16:19
I'll join you. I thought Pinguin's post was pretty good.

However, he too seems for some reason to think all colonialists were European.
Originally posted by pikeshott1600

Unless for instance it is Genghiz Khan's empire.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2007 at 19:58

Yes, you are right. I put the accent on Europeans. We should not forget that Arabs, Turks, Mongols and Russians were as imperialist like Europeans in the past.

However, you should understand that the only ones that have a great impact overseas were the Europeans.
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2007 at 21:34
Originally posted by pinguin

Yes, you are right. I put the accent on Europeans. We should not forget that Arabs, Turks, Mongols and Russians were as imperialist like Europeans in the past.

However, you should understand that the only ones that have a great impact overseas were the Europeans.

And the European experience abroad should therefore be acknowledged for the achievement it was, as well as criticised....but it is not.

"Oh you nasty white people...everything you did was premeditated evil."

That attitude often seems like mere jealousy.

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2007 at 21:47
The Age of Imperialism turned a bunch of isolated communities into a globe. People continued killing and exploiting eachother as they have done ever since the dawn of empire in the ancient river basins of Mesopotamia, Egypt, the Indus and the Far East.

The difference this time was a vast leap forward in technological innovation, social and political change to most regions of the globe.

What I find an excellant parellel to European imperialism of the last 500 years in the experience of West European peoples from roughly 200BC-400AD under the Romans. The Romans did indeed bring the sword and did many things for their own selfish aggrandizement. But in their wake came progress, the various small and unsophisticated tribal structures of communities in Western Europe were replaced - with extensive urbanisation, representative political assemblies, global trade, exposure to vast new theatres of learning and technology and many many other advancements. Once experienced, Western Europeans would never go back to the way it was before, not even with the shock of the collapse of Rome and the barbarian invasions.

Such it is with the new world and many of the less progressive areas of the Old World which were colonised, their outmoded institutions were replaced and now there is no going back. From the foundations established by exposure to the most dynamic nations on the planet, these former colonies may one day rise to prominence and strength, repeating the process established when thousands of years ago the legions of the SPQR advanced into Spain, Britain and France.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2007 at 21:55
Originally posted by pikeshot1600

And the European experience abroad should therefore be acknowledged for the achievement it was, as well as criticised....but it is not.

"Oh you nasty white people...everything you did was premeditated evil."

That attitude often seems like mere jealousy.

Start by recognizing not all Spaniards were Conquistadors and not all Conquistadors were evil.

As a Latin American I know the pre-Columbian past and the history of the Conquist and the Colony in detail. And I do know peoples were not absolutely good or absolutely evil in either side of the conflict.

We should realize that. Otherwise history will continue to be an instrument of political causes, rather than a mirror of the real past.

Pinguin

Edited by pinguin - 17-Feb-2007 at 21:56
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2007 at 22:00
Originally posted by Constantine XI

..., repeating the process established when thousands of years ago the legions of the SPQR advanced into Spain, Britain and France.

That's quite close to the true, indeed. The Spaniards believe they were the followers of the Romans. Even more, they believed they were Romans!

After all Hispania was the main Roman province where Emperators and Seneca were born. The church they followed was the one of the ROMAN Catholic Church. Spanish is a variation of Latin. And even the Muslim Spaniards called them Romans!

Changing SPQR by the cross was not difficult after all.

Pinguin
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2007 at 23:30
Originally posted by pinguin

Don't forget China's colonization and their spread of influence over other Southeastern Asian nations... it's like back to Napoleon's Era again...

Join us.
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2007 at 06:05
Originally posted by Constantine XI

The Age of Imperialism turned a bunch of isolated communities into a globe. People continued killing and exploiting eachother as they have done ever since the dawn of empire in the ancient river basins of Mesopotamia, Egypt, the Indus and the Far East.

The difference this time was a vast leap forward in technological innovation, social and political change to most regions of the globe.

What I find an excellant parellel to European imperialism of the last 500 years in the experience of West European peoples from roughly 200BC-400AD under the Romans. The Romans did indeed bring the sword and did many things for their own selfish aggrandizement. But in their wake came progress, the various small and unsophisticated tribal structures of communities in Western Europe were replaced - with extensive urbanisation, representative political assemblies, global trade, exposure to vast new theatres of learning and technology and many many other advancements. Once experienced, Western Europeans would never go back to the way it was before, not even with the shock of the collapse of Rome and the barbarian invasions.

Such it is with the new world and many of the less progressive areas of the Old World which were colonised, their outmoded institutions were replaced and now there is no going back. From the foundations established by exposure to the most dynamic nations on the planet, these former colonies may one day rise to prominence and strength, repeating the process established when thousands of years ago the legions of the SPQR advanced into Spain, Britain and France.

Depends of what you consider "isolated".In the entire human history ,with very few exceptions,there were no isolated societes.The American continent might was isolated from the rest of the world,but there was ,certainly,a communication and probably trade among the different American societies.In the case of Africa,the myth of King Solomon and of the African Queen of Siba who came in Israel in a caravan ,simply shows that ,already from the Ancient Years,there was a trade route from Aithiopia to the Middle East.Also,before the Portugese arrive,there was a great trade network which connected Middle East,Iran,India and even China with the Eastern African coast.The Kingdom of the Great Zimbabwe exported goods and gold through the Suahili merchants and the cities in the Eastern African coast.Needless to say that when the Portugese arrived,they were astonished by the beauty of the  Coastal African cities ,which were destroyed after the Portugese took over all trade.

Concerning the technological innovation,it's sth positive ,indeed,but for a Western society.There were and continue to be societies which ,although technology has came to their lands,they prefer to live in their traditional way of life,because technological innovation ,simply,does not matter for them.Benduins are still living in tents in the desert and they are still riding camels,at least the majority of them.Many sub-saharan African tribes continue to live in hutches in small villages.The Noubians of Southern Egypt are still living in  traditional houses next to the river Nile.There are still native Americans who live in the Amazon river as their ancestors did,although many were forced to abandon their way of life because of the destruction of the forest,their main source of food and income.

Political change.Africa is politically,one of the most unstable areas in the entire planet.And it is not that Africans do not know how to govern themselves.Of course,there were kingdoms in Africa,such as Aithiopia,Mali,Great Zimbabwe.But there were also tribes with a "circular tupe of goverment" if i can use such expression.For example,the Nuer of Sudan solved,i do not know about now,their differences and problems inside the circle of their societies.Such ways were simply ignored and even destroyed by the colonial forces.

Concerning war,you live in Australia.You must know that for the Maori war,until the British arrived, did not mean killing each other,but mainly a demonstration of power.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2007 at 06:16

Concerning war,you live in Australia.You must know that for the Maori war,until the British arrived, did not mean killing each other,but mainly a demonstration of power.

Maori wars did involve plenty of killing, and the winner ate the loser's heart. The Maoris were an extremely warlike people continuously engaged in inter-tribal conflict. If anything, British colonisation saw a rapid decline in Maori deaths in battle simply because peace was imposed by the British Crown.

I still think that Western influence still had a decisive impact on the social, political and technological way of life of all people in the "New World". Certainly in some areas tribalism and traditional lifestyle still hold true. But the world of today is divided into nation states and virtually every nation on earth participates in global trade, urbanisation and the new order of living introduced by Western pioneers over the past five centuries or so. And this influence on the world's people is only set to grow, it has caused an old world order to pass away and introduced a new one in its place.
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2007 at 08:53
Maori wars did involve plenty of killing, and the winner ate the loser's heart. The Maoris were an extremely warlike people continuously engaged in inter-tribal conflict. If anything, British colonisation saw a rapid decline in Maori deaths in battle simply because peace was imposed by the British Crown.

I will recheck it then.Maybe i was wrong.

I still think that Western influence still had a decisive impact on the social, political and technological way of life of all people in the "New World".

There is no doubt that Western infuence had a desicive impact.What i argue is that this impact was and is not exactly that good.

But the world of today is divided into nation states and virtually every nation on earth participates in global trade, urbanisation and the new order of living introduced by Western pioneers over the past five centuries or so.

As you said ,the concept of nation state,global trade and urbanisation were introduced by Western pioneers to the colonies over the past five centuries.The problem is that although Europe reached to that point after a period of centuries,most colonies had to reach that level in a lesser than a century,more specifically in some decades.When a society develops so quickly,while it's social past is ignored,it's development will be bad.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2007 at 09:44

Depends of what you consider "isolated".In the entire human history ,with very few exceptions,there were no isolated societes.The American continent might was isolated from the rest of the world,but there was ,certainly,a communication and probably trade among the different American societies.

In the Americas there was certain degree of communication between Mesoamerica and Peru. That's proven by the fact the sea shells used as trumpet in ceremonies in Peru came from Mesoamerica. However, we are not talking about an intense degree of commerce as the one that existed in the silk road. And, all evidence point to the absolute isolation of the Americas with the Old World.

There are still native Americans who live in the Amazon river as their ancestors did,although many were forced to abandon their way of life because of the destruction of the forest,their main source of food and income.

That does not mean the Amazon cultures are more "authentic". You should remember that most Natives in the Americas have a degree of development a lot more advanced that the Natives of the Amazon before Europeans came!

I believe the point is quite simple.

Had the Europeans the right to robb theirs lands to Native Americans? Just because they were Europeans?

If so, Europeans should not complain today when Africans, Arabs, Asians and Latinos are starting to repopulate Europe, replacing the blond blue eyes Natives for more dynamical people comming from abroad.

Simple. It's justice.

Pinguin

Edited by pinguin - 18-Feb-2007 at 09:45
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>