Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Final Fantasy series

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Final Fantasy series
    Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 09:09
Best games i've ever played, though quality has waned from FF10 and squaresoft/enix have never reached the heights of FF7.

Any players?
Cent View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 09:12
I used to play FF7, really good game!
They don't speak enough about the Kurds, because we have never taken hostages, never hijacked a plane. But I am proud of this.
Abdul Rahman Qassemlou
Denis View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Denis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 09:30
I played the first few, in the good ol days
"Death belongs to God alone. By what right do men touch that unknown thing"

Victor Hugo
kilroy View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
AE Editor

Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 09:35
FF7 was a classic Thumbs%20Up
Kilroy was here.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 10:03
I believe the best two to date are X and VII, although X-2 was an unfortunate foray into a new style which didn't quite work. The brilliant character work, the stories, unique artistic style and the music (Nobuo Uematsu is a genius) all combine to make a very immersive experience. It is one of the few game series that I would label "mature" in nature. Not that it deals in necessarily mature themes, but it has developed to a stage where it is on par with literature in terms of technical brilliance and artistic merit. Although, there is a sort of artistry in taking down 30 or so people from around Australia and New Zealand with a single bullet in Battlefield 2.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 10:21
Totally agree, 'vii' and 'x' were easily the best. I loved eight with it's more edgy style and fantastic storyline, it's probably the one game of the series that was unfairly underrated. Its got a little opaque recently I think, they should bring back the cussin' of Barret or the more violent themes of earlier games in the series.
Has historical significance too you know, think of the names of bosses, summons (as I still call them, not eidolons or aeons) such as Shiva, Behemoth, Chimera, the lupine class, and many others. Also love the inter-game recurrances like Tonberries, Cid, and Chocobos. Just a brilliant series and not as popular in Europe as they should be.
Final Fantasy 13 is still not out over here, any reviews on the new battle style?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 10:35
I wasn't aware there existed a Final Fantasy 13. The game currently under development is Final Fantasy 12, which will be released in the not too distant future.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 12:00
ok 13 actually does exist-its currently in the making for the ps3- i meant to say 12 though, apologies..same question applies though
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 12:26
I haven't played it. It's coming out in a couple of weeks. On the SQUARE-ENIX site there's not mention of a 13 Confused
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 12:32
The square-enix site is crap, but i'm sure it would be there somewhere under the news sub-heading. Anyways, I read a magazine article about XII, it gave the usual rubbish saying its the best game ever etc etc, but want to know if anyone knows much about it first-hand. It's definetely out in the States and in Japan.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Feb-2007 at 12:40
I would also like to know. I hear only good things about it so far, from usually reliable sources.
Balaam View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Suspended

Quote Balaam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2007 at 06:13
In my opinion the best games around! even tho I have only played a few.

V - I liked the variety of classes most in this one
VII - By far the best!
VII Dirge of Cerebus - An ok game but didn't get to play it properly as it was in my friend's house when it burnt down
VIII - An excellent storyline, but don't like the magic system how you have to draw it.
X - Quite a good game and graphics were amazing!
X-2 - A flop...
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2007 at 10:53
Spot on Balaam, but would give Dirge a lower rating, very uninmaginative and plain boring. Plus, the final boss is way too easy which drives me insane.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2007 at 11:18
Haha it couldn't have been as easy as the FFX boss... zombie.... Thumbs%20Down
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2007 at 11:36
If you want, like me, to do everything in the game, then the final boss will be a push over completely. But yeah, in all honesty I could have beaten the final boss in FFX with Tidus alone and half health. I had him that sooped up that he got three attacks in before anyone else got to move..

Did anyone else notice that Barret calls president ShinRa king VERMIN! when they fight the 'Super Sweeper' in the reactor and that there is a boss in FFX-2 called exactly that with the same upper case and everything? Was quite proud of myself when I noticed that...Big%20smile

Best place to level up in disc1 of FFVII? I know my choice,l but I don't know if I want to give it away..Maybe someone else has noticed it..
Balaam View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Suspended

Quote Balaam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2007 at 01:04
Originally posted by Dolphin

Spot on Balaam, but would give Dirge a lower rating, very uninmaginative and plain boring. Plus, the final boss is way too easy which drives me insane.

Like I said the disc got melted before I had a chance to have a proper go
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2007 at 08:32
I've enjoyed the Final Fantasy series, from about III-VI (The US NES golden age) and then from FFIX-FFX-2. They all share in common a fantastic setting and for an RPG has surprising replay value.

Of course I've never played FFVII and at this point I refuse to play it, as it started the whole blonde effeminate speedy main char vs. the grey-haired effeminate dracula-esque villian, which I feel has totally limited the surprise factor in the more recent Final Fantasies. Which is why I liked the direction they took in X-2, since it was different.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2007 at 08:35
I like the fact that they tried something different, and it does have its charms... however I don't think it's can quite match up to the quality of X.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Suspended

Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2007 at 11:24
Call me a cynic, but was X-2 not a quick spin off to cash in on the huge success of X, and did it not rely on highly sexualised female characters to distract attention away from the poor gameplay??

But JanusRook, I agree fully with the 'blonde hero' comment, The term I use is opaque, there is no longer any real edge or honest originality to the series anymore. But doesn't mean i'm not goin to but XII the day it comes out..!

VII is a real contender for best game ever, I recommend you play it, the only problem is that it'll cost you about 100 or something to buy. I certainly wouldn't even think of selling my copy for anything like that money.
Balaam View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Suspended

Quote Balaam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2007 at 02:17
Yeh thats what sucks about VII these days, costs way to much. I once found on ebay someone selling VI, VII and IX for AUD$10 with only a few hours left...but would my mum let me buy it? of coarse not! I was fuming for weeks for missing such an opportunity.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>