Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedquestion about the Egyptians..?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author
AfrikaJamaika View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: question about the Egyptians..?
    Posted: 30-Jan-2007 at 14:25
Were the ancient egyptians black people?
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2007 at 15:03
They don't look like it from their artwork. 
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey
Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2007 at 15:11
Originally posted by AfrikaJamaika

Do you think modern day Egyptians are black people?

Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2007 at 15:13
Originally posted by Leonardo

no i dont but I think modern day Egyptians look nothing like the Egyptian statues, and images that Egyptians drew of themselves...
Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2007 at 15:17

Originally posted by Leonardo

no i dont but I think modern day Egyptians look nothing like the Egyptian statues, and images that Egyptians drew of themselves...

The Copts are direct descendants from ancient Egyptians, do you think they are black people?

Denis View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2007 at 15:20
Its not wise to compare modern Egyptians to Ancient ones - this was before the Arabic intrusions so they would have looked considerable different.
"Death belongs to God alone. By what right do men touch that unknown thing"

Victor Hugo
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2007 at 15:22
Originally posted by Denis

Its not wise to compare modern Egyptians to Ancient ones - this was before the Arabic intrusions so they would have looked considerable different.

Exactly and plus the africans were their before the middle easterners invaded Africa.....

Edited by AfrikaJamaika - 30-Jan-2007 at 15:22
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2007 at 15:31
Why such theories like "Black Egyptians" or..."Black Athena" are spread in American Universities,or aren't they?

"Hellenes are crazy but they have a wise God"
Kolokotronis
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2007 at 15:43
Originally posted by Patrinos

Why such theories like "Black Egyptians" or..."Black Athena" are spread in American Universities,or aren't they?

honestly i dont know.....But i only asked because all the Egyptians i've seen have black people features.....
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2007 at 17:11

We had a very long thread on this a while back: I'll try to find it. From what I know, the Arab invasions have actually had little impact on the demographics of Egypt as well as many other so-called "Arab" countries such as Syria, Lebanon or Iraq. These countries already spoke Semitic languages such as Coptic or Aramaic, so it was very easy for them to adopt a related language -Arabic, as the lingua franca of commerce, and eventually to start speaking it exclusively. The actual number of Arabs who migrated to Egypt was probably too smal to really affect the way that Egyptians looked. Same goes for the Greeks and Romans who were confined exclusively to urban areas. The Egyptians of today probably look a lot like they did 3000 years ago; and some Egyptians you will meet are black because current-day Egypt covers areas which were historically part of Nubia as well (also because Nubians, possibly even more so than the Greeks mixed in with the Egyptians).

Just because the Egyptians were African (because that's the continent they're on after all!), that does not make them "black". Africa has a bewildering variety of people, and it so happens that the people inhabiting the northern areas (Egyptians and Berbers) are a good deal more fair-skinned than say people from Nigeria. This does not make them "white". The distinction is very arbitrary and arguable. I actually think that Afrocentrists who say that Egyptians were black because they were African are guilty of a form of racism towards black-people themselves because they are implcitly denying the vast variations in appearance which occur among the so-called "black people" (it's kind of like saying that "they all look the same"). Just compare the appearance of Ethiopians with that of Congolese people or of the Khoisan and you'll see what I mean.

Also, such statements deny the evidence present in all of Egyptian art, which clearly differentiated Egyptians (who were depicted with reddish skin for men and pale skin for women) from other people such as Nubians who were very black, but also from lighter-skinned people from the Middle East.

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2007 at 19:16
Originally posted by Decebal

people such as Nubians who were very black, but also from lighter-skinned people from the Middle East.

all nubians are not dark skinned.....And yes nubians and Khoisan(Bushmen) people do look dffierent but they are both of the same race though...
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2007 at 19:28
I assume that since Egyptians live near Meditteranean Sea... I think they can't be completely black, like the Arabics. Because Egyptian Empire stretched to Sudan... I think people there are black migrated to the heart of Egyptain Empire due to slavery, work, war, etc.

Join us.
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2007 at 21:57

White people (Caucasoids) have existed in Africa since the beginning of times. There are some theories that place the origin of whites in Africa itself. Other shows back-immigration into Africa in neolythical times of people that resembled Berbers and Canarian settlers (the ancestors of the Carthagians and Moors). Even today you can find blue eyed peoples in North Africa as in ancient tims. So what's the big deal.

Egyptians are Mediterranean people, closely related to Middle Easterners, Lybians and also with some southern people of some negroid ancestry. They are not "Blacks" in the sense they don't look like the stereotype of a Western Subsaharan African, but remember that Egypt is in the North East and not in Western Central Africa. Easter Africa, from Egypt down to Somalia have a long history of admixture between different peoples.

As far as I know, egyptians have always had the same look. Even more, there are studies that have show pyramid workers were of the same genetic stock of modern Egyptians. They are a population that is in between Ethiopians and the Levante's peoples, and that show in theirs phenotype.

Definitively some Pharaons have negroid features, but it is also quite clear that many others would be considered today mainly white people.

Now, if ancient Egyptians didn't mark the difference between races why modern Black Americans have the right to do so? I wonder.

Pinguin

viola76 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2007 at 22:34

pinguin your whole argument is stupid. black people come in different shades and features. with your argument germanics are white people and  dark meditereneans are not. caucasoids means nothing some masai, some somalians are white then yesDisapprove the culture of ancient egypt is very african. the egyptians came from the south and that is the correct and current scholarly view.menes,djoser, look black to me. i have looked at some of your post in other threads you seem to have a problem with black people for some reason always putting down there cultures. 
LilLou View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2007 at 22:53
The reason why people think egyptians are black is because they lived very near the nubians (blacks) which had a completely different kingdom to the south since they were very close to each other they traded and even intermarried but there were many nubians who lived inside the egyptian kingdom such as slaves, citizens and even nobles but egyptians themselves were brownskinned that look "almost" identical to modern age egyptians due to lot's of mixing in their genes.
viola76 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2007 at 23:02
most black african people are brown skinned, how do you explain the old kingdoms busts are of black people like menes, djoser try and look them up.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2007 at 23:11
Originally posted by viola76

pinguin your whole argument is stupid. black people come in different shades and features. with your argument germanics are white people and  dark meditereneans are not. caucasoids means nothing some masai, some somalians are white then yesDisapprove the culture of ancient egypt is very african. the egyptians came from the south and that is the correct and current scholarly view.menes,djoser, look black to me. i have looked at some of your post in other threads you seem to have a problem with black people for some reason always putting down there cultures. 

I believe that Pinguin's arguement is not "stupid" as you rudely commented. If black people come in different shaes and feature, I think that merely strengthens Pinguin's point.

Originally posted by Pinguin

Egyptians are Mediterranean people, closely related to Middle Easterners, Lybians and also with some southern people of some negroid ancestry. They are not "Blacks" in the sense they don't look like the stereotype of a Western Subsaharan African, but remember that Egypt is in the North East and not in Western Central Africa. Easter Africa, from Egypt down to Somalia have a long history of admixture between different peoples.

And Egypt was quite distinct from what you point out as "black culture". No other African civilizations built pyramids or worship Egyptians gods, or believe in Egyptian's point of view regarding the afterlife. Egypt was unique because her empire was separated from the other emerging Western and Eastern Civilizations... and no powers were strong enough to challenge Egyptians until the tribes of Lybians came in... which is much later. Due to this, Egyptian strangely created their own culture, different from the rest of other African cultures. And they are indeed different...

As for the physical appearance, people living in near the coast and are living in different altitude than any other Africans make them look different from other Africans. Look at the latitude. Other than Egyptain Empire, the similar latitudes in Africa are Sahara desert, preventing any major civilization to from in similar region as Egyptian. Furthermore, the reason why their color is similar to Arabics is because they are right beside Egypt relative to the Earth's lattitude.

Join us.
LilLou View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2007 at 23:19
When i mean to brown people is when the egyptians were not black but had brown skin like an "indian" and what do you mean by black features? if they were dark like u say why isn't it like that on their wall paintings which is also dated from the old kingdom..........
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2007 at 23:23

pinguin your whole argument is stupid. black people come in different shades and features.

Not really. If a black person has light skin then is not a black person anymore. That's a tautology.

In fact, it is better to speak of Egyptians, Congolese or Somalians rather than using those terms of the time of slavery: white and black peoples.
It is really wishfull thinking (and very naive) to believe that a person from Ethiopia share the same culture that a Pigmey, a Khoi-San or a Zulu just because they have dark skin.

with your argument germanics are white people and  dark meditereneans are not. caucasoids means nothing some masai, some somalians are white then yesDisapprove the culture of ancient egypt is very african.

What do you mean by "very African"?  As far as I know, the Egyptian culture is very Egyptian.

the egyptians came from the south and that is the correct and current scholarly view.menes,djoser, look black to me. i have looked at some of your post in other threads you seem to have a problem with black people for some reason always putting down there cultures. 

I have no problem with black people. However, for some reason, I can detect afrocentrists a  mile away. (Particularly Van Sertima Church's followers)

Pinguin

Edited by pinguin - 30-Jan-2007 at 23:23
viola76 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jan-2007 at 23:44

lillou

most paintings of the old and middle kingdom do show brown coloured egyptians. why dont you look through the internet.

pinguin

then dark skinned italians greek portugese arent white compared to germans. tautology

Who said i said if you are black you same the same culture?
Egyptian culture is egyptian it dosent mean it isnt african . when i get time ill post the culture of egypt and its africaness.
Why am i a afrocentrist? is it because i think the ancient egypts were black african? are you a eurocentric.

pekau ill deal with the culture as i said above. the asiatics certainly didnt share egypts beliefs.
do you honestly think the egyptians from taseti and thebes were a differet colour then the so called nubians on ta_setis border?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>