Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ming atrocities in Korea during Imjin war

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
The Charioteer View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote The Charioteer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ming atrocities in Korea during Imjin war
    Posted: 25-Jan-2007 at 22:53

The above two scenes are reconstruction of Ming soldiers raping Korean women during Imjin war.

It seems these are scenes come from a Korean history drama about Admiral Yi Sun Sin?

Could anyone provide more detailed historical documents that record the atrocities commited by Ming army during Imjin war?

Because from one sided view of Chinese history text books regarding Imjin war, these atrocities are never mentioned.

So i would really like to hear different opinions.

Edited by The Charioteer - 25-Jan-2007 at 22:55
stupidumboy View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote stupidumboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2007 at 02:34
Yes, they are based on the real history record, 
Accordi ng to 'the annals  of Chosun dynasty.'

宣祖 91卷, 30年( 1597 丁酉 / (萬曆) 25年) 8月 7日 乙丑 6

漢城府啓曰: 當日到付中部主簿牒呈內, 本月初六日夕, 私奴世亨招內, 有一蒙白女人過去, 唐人扶執, 脅奸作計。 怒其牢拒不從, 拔劍剌腮及項, 又斬世亨十四歲童奴末叱山頭, 手持橫行云。 敢啓。 頗遊擊管下軍李宗義及被傷女人德只等, 麻都督使頗遊擊取招, 則李宗義招辭以爲: 昨日失馬尋蹤之際, 兒童三人在路上牽去, 見我追去, 二兒走避, 一兒顚仆。 進捉詰問, 則只謂我强盜, 醉酒中拔劍殺之 云。 德只以爲: 自市上從抄路轉過, 唐人一名逆來, 欲爲怯奸, 高聲走過, 則拔劍趕到, 刺傷右腮。 時有一兒從後來, 亦爲大呼强盜, 則返追兒童, 因爲擊殺 云。 遊擊以女人之說爲實, 稟于都督, 斬首於鍾樓街上云。 上曰: 知道。

宣祖 103卷, 31年( 1598 戊戌 / (萬曆) 26年) 8月 1日 甲寅

劉提督接伴使金睟馳啓曰: 衙門各將, 到全羅地方, 多發軍丁, 搜索遠近, 無髮者, 皆綁拿。 得病落髮者及僧髡, 亦皆被拿, 一日之間多至數百。 天兵因此出入村巷, 奪掠財産, 刦奸婦女, 至有强奸童女。 事覺, 提督梟其甚者。

Maybe cydevil could help some translation if you are confused to understand articles clearly.
There are more but I am just showing the authentic record about those incidents.

The Charioteer View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote The Charioteer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2007 at 07:18

Thanks stupidumboy, this answer will do my need. Now im just gonna copy and paste these examples straight to the Chinese forum where they are having discussion about this matter and believe such is exaggerated even fabricated.

But the truth speaks for itself, now i have something to add to that discussion.

If there are more authentic records please provide.

Also would you inform me where i can get online copy of "'the annals  of Chosun dynasty"? for clarification and reference purposes.

And i'd like to read it personally sometime.

BTW, you are resourceful, do you know where i can read Admiral Yi Sun Sin's war diary? I'd like to have some cross-referencing.

Thanks in advance.
Knight
Knight

Quote stupidumboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2007 at 14:05
You are very welcome.
I will try other authentic sources , if you are OK , there are other sources but they are private written records during the Imjin war by chosun national persons.

You can read 'ANNALS OF CHOSUN DYNASTY ' on this link.

You can try Chinese or English version but they just inform guide how to check original articles throuout Korean site function.

Its not that difficult though.

snowybeagle View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote snowybeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2007 at 22:44

No one should presume their people to be above committing atrocities.

It is always those on the lower social strata who suffered the most, be it from their own social superiors or from outsiders as in the case above.

I do note though that the records refer to the Ming soldiers as "People of Tang" despite the fact that the Tang Dynasty had been gone for more than half a millenium. But it would make even less sense to refer to them as "Ming people" because the character Ming has its own meaning.
Slick View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Slick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2007 at 04:40
Wow, this is pretty interesting. I always thought that the Japanese were primarily the ones ravaging Korea. I never realized that the Chinese did some bad stuff too. :x

Like snowybeagle said, I guess that nearly every country has a bad mark on their history...
"Dai Ichi Dai Man Dai Kichi"
Baron
Baron

Quote snowybeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2007 at 11:10
Originally posted by Slick

Wow, this is pretty interesting. I always thought that the Japanese were primarily the ones ravaging Korea. I never realized that the Chinese did some bad stuff too. :x
We're talking different eras ... historically, the people living in the Korean peninsula got it from all sides ... Tang Dynasty, the Mongols, the Jurchens, the Japanese ...

Though some of them also had their moments when they were strong enough to strike at their neighbours ... like Bohai during the Tang.

Like snowybeagle said, I guess that nearly every country has a bad mark on their history...
That's for sure.
Until humanist ideals became more widespread, most governments were not even fair to their own people, much less to non-citizens.

Or perhaps it is a common phenomena for military men in the past to take liberties with those they were suppose to aid. Heck, it happens even today with UN peacekeepers.

What is different though is it is seldom tolerated if exposed, unlike the past.

Edited by snowybeagle - 02-Feb-2007 at 11:11
jiangweibaoye View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote jiangweibaoye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2007 at 12:01
Snowybeagle,

Very well put. 

Totally agree.

Jiangwei
Slick View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Slick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2007 at 16:06
We're talking different eras ... historically, the people living in the Korean peninsula got it from all sides ... Tang Dynasty, the Mongols, the Jurchens, the Japanese ...

Though some of them also had their moments when they were strong enough to strike at their neighbours ... like Bohai during the Tang.

Yeah I know, but this thread is talking about the Imjin War. I knew that the Chinese fought with Koreans sometimes, but just never realized that the Ming, ostensibly Korean allies during that war, even did nasty things. I knew the Japanese did some pretty horrible things (kill many and mutilate bodies to make a nose mound, destroy a multitude of buildings, etc.) in the Imjin War.
Baron
Baron

Quote snowybeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2007 at 19:08

Yeah I know, but this thread is talking about the Imjin War. I knew that the Chinese fought with Koreans sometimes, but just never realized that the Ming, ostensibly Korean allies during that war, even did nasty things.
I see your point ...

Tragically, some Ming soldiers probably did the same thing to their own people. Many officials were not appointed for their competence and did not discipline themselves, much less their own troops.

Any mention in the Korean historical records of the response of the Korean government to this?
Baron
Baron

Quote snowybeagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2007 at 19:26
I just realised what was it about the pictures that puzzled me - the uniform of the Ming soldiers.

The use of the colour yellow, even non Imperial-yellow, was regulated.
I do not think Ming soldiers would have been issued with yellow uniforms.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2007 at 16:34
Originally posted by stupidumboy

Yes, they are based on the real history record, 
Accordi ng to 'the annals  of Chosun dynasty.'

宣祖 91卷, 30年( 1597 丁酉 / (萬曆) 25年) 8月 7日 乙丑 6

漢城府啓曰: 當日到付中部主簿牒呈內, 本月初六日夕, 私奴世亨招內, 有一蒙白女人過去, 唐人扶執, 脅奸作計。 怒其牢拒不從, 拔劍剌腮及項, 又斬世亨十四歲童奴末叱山頭, 手持橫行云。 敢啓。 頗遊擊管下軍李宗義及被傷女人德只等, 麻都督使頗遊擊取招, 則李宗義招辭以爲: 昨日失馬尋蹤之際, 兒童三人在路上牽去, 見我追去, 二兒走避, 一兒顚仆。 進捉詰問, 則只謂我强盜, 醉酒中拔劍殺之 云。 德只以爲: 自市上從抄路轉過, 唐人一名逆來, 欲爲怯奸, 高聲走過, 則拔劍趕到, 刺傷右腮。 時有一兒從後來, 亦爲大呼强盜, 則返追兒童, 因爲擊殺 云。 遊擊以女人之說爲實, 稟于都督, 斬首於鍾樓街上云。 上曰: 知道。

宣祖 103卷, 31年( 1598 戊戌 / (萬曆) 26年) 8月 1日 甲寅

劉提督接伴使金睟馳啓曰: 衙門各將, 到全羅地方, 多發軍丁, 搜索遠近, 無髮者, 皆綁拿。 得病落髮者及僧髡, 亦皆被拿, 一日之間多至數百。 天兵因此出入村巷, 奪掠財産, 刦奸婦女, 至有强奸童女。 事覺, 提督梟其甚者。

Maybe cydevil could help some translation if you are confused to understand articles clearly.
There are more but I am just showing the authentic record about those incidents.

I thought you were Chinese, no? If so, you should be able to translate them... right?

Don't know much about Ming's intervention in the war, although they did not change the tide of war much. Their first attack to Japanese armies were a total failure, mostly because Chinese advance party underistimated the Japanese invaders. It was mostly Korean resistance and new Korean army reinforced with Ming's superior cannons that changed the tide of war, not to mention Yi Sunshin's effort to blockade and reduce the transportation, reinforcement and supply route to support the Japanese armies in Korea.

Join us.
Knight
Knight

Quote stupidumboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2007 at 01:15

My English is not so good to trabslate all  them with appropriate words ,

so I just told cydevil could
do it because he can do both of good Chinese and English.

back to your opinion about Ming troops,

Ming was reluctant to get involved in the Imjin war first time.
But finally decided to send supportive troops.

As you told ,their contribution was under expectation.

but IMO without Ming's support ,
Chosun was invaded by Toyotomi absoutely.

Ming sent about 190,000 infantries  to support Chosun and financially it supported Silver 20,000 liang (unit) . The 20,000 silver was a lot of fund that King Sunjo addressed money left even after collecting more troops and giving saleries to beaucrats.

When Ming sent its first deployed troops , Chosun had no ground forces to block Japanese north heading.

You cannot deny the fact that the battle of Pyongyang changed the situation of Imjin war. The winning was made by Ming troops.

Lee Sun Shin was great admiral but hes navy commander.
Contribution is limited.

It was winning of Pyongtang battle that made Konishi to head back to the South.

Edited by stupidumboy - 05-Feb-2007 at 01:27
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2007 at 09:17
Originally posted by stupidumboy

My English is not so good to trabslate all  them with appropriate words ,

so I just told cydevil could
do it because he can do both of good Chinese and English.

back to your opinion about Ming troops,

Ming was reluctant to get involved in the Imjin war first time.
But finally decided to send supportive troops.

As you told ,their contribution was under expectation.

but IMO without Ming's support ,
Chosun was invaded by Toyotomi absoutely.

Ming sent about 190,000 infantries  to support Chosun and financially it supported Silver 20,000 liang (unit) . The 20,000 silver was a lot of fund that King Sunjo addressed money left even after collecting more troops and giving saleries to beaucrats.

When Ming sent its first deployed troops , Chosun had no ground forces to block Japanese north heading.

You cannot deny the fact that the battle of Pyongyang changed the situation of Imjin war. The winning was made by Ming troops.

Lee Sun Shin was great admiral but hes navy commander.
Contribution is limited.

It was winning of Pyongtang battle that made Konishi to head back to the South.

I see. I often doubt about how much Ming could have done to Chosen Dynasty since Ming was in decline, and other Chinese rivals were planning to sack Ming. I do agree that they made difference to Imjin War, but I wonder how much they really did.

Yes, I can understand the financial aid. This makes sense to me, although again... I wonder how much Ming can do when their homeland's situation was in crisis as well. Mind if anyone fill me up with some Chinese history here?

Join us.
Slick View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Slick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2007 at 23:59
It's definitely true, at least in the first korean campaign. Under Konishi Yukinaga, Kato Kiyomasa, etc. the Japanese swept through Korea quickly and with ease. It was not until the Ming invaded that the Japanese were pushed off the peninsula. The combination of Ming reinforcements and Yi Sun Shin's naval victories was what mainly allowed the Koreans to win in the end, in my opinion.
jiangweibaoye View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote jiangweibaoye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 11:17

Very true.

Admiral Yi achievements are great, but naval floatilla cannot garrison or capture a city or hold a stragetic pass (except a naval routes).

Wars are always won by the infantry. 

Even with Air Power, it and Naval power almost always plays a supportative role in a War.  The real battle is almost always on the ground.

Jiangwei
Killabee View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Killabee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 19:05
There was similar thread made a while back.

Here is what I wrote back then:

"Undoubtedly, the Ming Army had commited atrocity during the time when garrisoned in Korea as one forumer had pointed out looting and raping was inevitable during the medieval warfare. However, by saying the extent of the atrocity perpetrated by the Ming Army was as much  as Japanese Army is highly unbelievable. If the Ming Army was really as bad as the Japanese Army as someone claimed , why were so many Korean still faithful to the Ming regime even after the downfall in 1644 when the Manchus invaded Beijing.  Here is one statement written in Classical Chinese by the one of the Korean official at that time to stress the relationship between Ming China and Joseon Dynasty:

"我朝三百年來,服事大明,其情其義,固不暇言。而神宗皇帝(明神宗萬歷皇帝朱翊鈞)再造之恩,自開闢以來,亦未聞於載籍者。宣祖大王所謂義則君臣,恩猶父子,實是真誠痛切語也."

It roughly translates as " The Joeson Dynasty has been serving faithfully  the Ming China for the past three hundred years. The bond was uncuttable between the two nations . The grace that have been given by Emperor Wanli (means sending troops in Imjin War) was a like rebirth to a child by a father."

King Hyojong of Joseon Dynasty even plotted to assist in restoring the Ming Regime but was never able to put in action because of internal issue and the growing mightiness of Manchu Qing Dynasty.

Not to mention till the end of Qing Dynasty in the 19th Century, many Korean still secretly used the reigning title of the Last Ming Emperor . Songzhen 崇禎in remembrance instead of the contemporary Manchu Emperor reigning title."

pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 19:19
Originally posted by jiangweibaoye

Very true.

Admiral Yi achievements are great, but naval floatilla cannot garrison or capture a city or hold a stragetic pass (except a naval routes).

Wars are always won by the infantry. 

Even with Air Power, it and Naval power almost always plays a supportative role in a War.  The real battle is almost always on the ground.

Jiangwei

Indeed. Even in modern warfare, land forces really determines the winner. Except in sea because infantry don't tend to fight and swim at the same time...

But yes. Yi Sunshin may have tried his best, but the outcome of war was determined by land. He simply sped things up.

Join us.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 19:20

And can someone answer my question about the Ming's capability to aid Korea, as explained in my earlier post? Anyone who are expert in Chinese history?

Join us.
Killabee View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Killabee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2007 at 19:28
Originally posted by The Charioteer

The above two scenes are reconstruction of Ming soldiers raping Korean women during Imjin war.

It seems these are scenes come from a Korean history drama about Admiral Yi Sun Sin?

Could anyone provide more detailed historical documents that record the atrocities commited by Ming army during Imjin war?

Because from one sided view of Chinese history text books regarding Imjin war, these atrocities are never mentioned.

So i would really like to hear different opinions.

I saw this korean-made TV drama. I think it is called "The immortality of Yi Shun Shin" or something like that.

I would say all the Chinese in this drama were depicted as despicable, treacherous, lousy and wimpy scumbag and all they did was conspiring with the Japanese to ransack and loot the Korean.

It made no mention of the contribution done by Chinese. Not even the Battle of Pyongyang and Kaesong where the Chinese successfully drove the Japanese from the Northern Korea theater. All the battles were fought bravely and won by the Korean.

Chen Lin was depicted as an asshole and all he wanted was refraining YI from engaging and  taking credit from him. 

Didn't make any mention about how the  70 years old Veteran admiral Tang Chi Lung (was played by an actor who looks like 40 years his junior) sacrificed himself during the battle Noryong.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>