Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ottoman perceptions of the Americas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ottoman perceptions of the Americas
    Posted: 23-Jan-2007 at 18:11
In other topics here at AE, we have discussed the economic and military reasons why the Ottoman Turks decided to "explore" east into the Indian Ocean, in their own small-scale version of the enterprise that European explorers were concurrently carrying on in the New World. 

As we have concluded, practically speaking, there was no reason for the Ottomans to set their sights on a colony in the Americas when there was ample opportunity for expansion into Italy, Austria, the Balkans, and the Middle East.

Nevertheless, the Ottomans definitely were aware of the existence of the Americas, as evidenced by their interest in European maps, as well as by their adaptation of certain early European accounts of the Americas into their own language, namely the Tarih-i Hind-i Garbi.

Therefore, to begin this discussion, my questions to you are the following:

Disregarding the economic and military detriments to expansion there, what were the religious and ideological reasons for the Ottoman perceptions/conceptions of the Americas in the sixteenth century?  I am wondering what role the opinions of Sunni Muslim theologians and intellectuals had in the formation of these perceptions.

In a venture into alternative history, say in fact the Ottomans did establish a sustainable colony in Central or South America (leave trouble with the Spanish out for the moment).  How would the Ottomans view the Native Americans (especially the Aztecs), having come into direct contact with them?  Would they consider them potential converts who must eventually be brought into the world of Islam?

I look forward to your responses and the resulting discussion!  Smile

Edited by Byzantine Emperor - 23-Jan-2007 at 19:59
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2007 at 19:47
What a question!

I will just try to respond a part of it. If the Ottomans had done the role of Cortes in the conquist of Mexico, for example, they would have followed almost the same path that the Spaniards.

The ottomans in Mexico wouldn't be quite numerous at all, at the first time, so they had to resort to alliances with locals. Converting to the Islam wouldn't be an easy task to do. They would have to come out with almost the same decisions the Spaniards did.

In the end, the kind of Islam would have developed in the Americas would be very syncretic and unlike the one of the Old World. Native civilization would still be beating below the surface as it does today in the Hispanized cultures of the Americas.

Now, in reality, Turkey was so far away from the Americas that a Turkey conquist of the Americas seem very unlikely, because of logistic matters.
At least, they would have as much troubles like the Spaniards had in Phillipines, where the level of hispanization was very superficial.

Pinguin

pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2007 at 20:05
That's a tough question to answer.

I suppose overstretched supply, transportation, communication and trade routes would be a problem for the Turks. In order to get there, they need to assume that Britain, France, Italy and other European powers would not intervene, which is highly unlikely. Balance of power. The European powers would be sickened to see a non-European power becoming a powerful Empire stretching from Middle of Asia to America, something that no nations ever did until Britain started their all-out colonization....

It's logical to think that way. We would put out the fire in our house first, not the neighbor's house...

I won't be able to give any religious answer... I am not Muslim and I would be stoned to death if I said something wrong...

Join us.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2007 at 21:50

Thank you Pinguin and Pekau for replying.  Smile

Let me reiterate that I am not asking if it was possible for the Ottomans to have gone to the New World and established a colony there.  Like I said, we already exhausted the discussion on that.  Rather, I am asking about their actual knowledge of the Americas in the sixteenth century and what factors went into the formation of their perception of the existence of the Americas.  In the second part of the question, I am proposing an alternative history scenario where the Ottomans have established a colony there.  It involves applying real historical knowledge to the fictional situation - what if the Ottomans came face to face with the Aztecs in the same way as the Europeans?

Originally posted by Pekau

I won't be able to give any religious answer... I am not Muslim and I would be stoned to death if I said something wrong...

This is all in the name of having fun and learning something at the same time.  You don't have to be a Muslim to comment on this part of the question!  If someone causes trouble, let them get themselves banned!  Just try to be as objective as possible.

Originally posted by pinguin

The ottomans in Mexico wouldn't be quite numerous at all, at the first time, so they had to resort to alliances with locals.

How do you think they might go about forging alliances with the locals in Central America?  Would they approach the natives in the same way as they approached Europeans, diplomatically?

Converting to the Islam wouldn't be an easy task to do. They would have to come out with almost the same decisions the Spaniards did.

What decisions are you refering to here?

Concerning the conversion of the Aztecs, I am wondering if jihad would eventually be declared upon them.  According to Islam, I believe, the Aztecs would be considered pagans, which is the lowest status possible.  They would definitely not be considered peoples of the Book, like Jews and Christians. 

Nevertheless, by the sixteenth century, were the Ottomans still as zealous in regard to extending the boundaries of the traditional dar-al-Islam as they were in the beginning, being newly-converted Ghazi warriors?

In the end, the kind of Islam would have developed in the Americas would be very syncretic and unlike the one of the Old World. Native civilization would still be beating below the surface as it does today in the Hispanized cultures of the Americas.

Yes, this is an interesting point!  If you could describe it, what would this new syncretism look like?  A combination of Aztec religious practices and Islam sounds very exotic, indeed.

pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2007 at 22:00
I don't know. It is a possibility that Islam might spread well in North America. If Islam manage to go all the way up to Arctic, I can see the success because Inuits had a belief that evil will triumph eventually, and the world would end. Islam may give them hope.

But overall, that would be a difficult task. The Christian explores and other European expeditions would see this as the rise of Satanism, and they would create another crusade, which would be far more successful than before since the resistance from the Turks would be weaker. (They just explored it, right?) And Europeans would transport their troops faster and more effectively than Turks' assuming that they would send reinforcement.

Join us.
HeorgltheMad View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote HeorgltheMad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2007 at 00:22
The Ottoman perception would have certainly held that their nation should be first in conquering the new Americas both in religion and ideology. Sunni Muslim theology dictates that the all religious power rests in the imam for the good of the peoples. The imam would certainly attempt to spread Is-lam in the Americas whether by normal conversion through military conquest or subversion. This was also commonly used in pre-modern societies throughout the world.
This link may help in explaining some Sunni Muslim theology as well as other Muslim theology. The Ottoman Turks might have considered the native Americans (at least in the north) to be offensive with their naturistic gods. Ottoman theology probably differed greatly from that of today's Sunnis because of the later emergence of the Mu'tazila and the elitism, often expressed through militantism. In the years of the Ottoman empire, it may have been much more passive because it was still fluidly changing and evolving to what it is today with the kalam. A rigid system of doctrine surrounding the Islamic faith and being ready to make a defense for it.
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2007 at 02:27
Originally posted by HeorgltheMad

The Ottoman perception would have certainly held that their nation should be first in conquering the new Americas both in religion and ideology. Sunni Muslim theology dictates that the all religious power rests in the imam for the good of the peoples. The imam would certainly attempt to spread Is-lam in the Americas whether by normal conversion through military conquest or subversion. This was also commonly used in pre-modern societies throughout the world.
This link may help in explaining some Sunni Muslim theology as well as other Muslim theology. The Ottoman Turks might have considered the native Americans (at least in the north) to be offensive with their naturistic gods. Ottoman theology probably differed greatly from that of today's Sunnis because of the later emergence of the Mu'tazila and the elitism, often expressed through militantism. In the years of the Ottoman empire, it may have been much more passive because it was still fluidly changing and evolving to what it is today with the kalam. A rigid system of doctrine surrounding the Islamic faith and being ready to make a defense for it.

I don't know about those naturistic gods. Just 600 years ago the Turks worshiped the same gods and alot of those traditions they still used.
But it's true that the Ottomans had become a Muslim empire rather than an empire from CA.

Btw this might come over harsh. But why would they want them to convert.

If there muslim they need to give them Rights.
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2007 at 03:07
Rather, I am asking about their actual knowledge of the Americas in the sixteenth century and what factors went into the formation of their perception of the existence of the Americas. 

Difficult  topic.  I am not sure If our historians ever interested with this.most of the ottoman historians are middle east and balkan centered.

Most probably,  Ottomans see america like they see southern africa. People have no relation with ottomans, they  are to far to reach.(america is more far than africa.)

I also think, ottomans generally used locals of conquered land to expand new land(or to rule new lands). So ottomans dont have any people to use at america. I think for them america is unimportant land.

Infact I think we should ask question a little different.What would be happen If azteks wanted ottoman help?

In the second part of the question, I am proposing an alternative history scenario where the Ottomans have established a colony there.  It involves applying real historical knowledge to the fictional situation - what if the Ottomans came face to face with the Aztecs in the same way as the Europeans?

Hard question again. Ottomans were not actively seeking convert to people(Even at beginin their aim was to expand her land, not convert people.). They did not forced(except tax  policy) people to become muslim. So they would not force azteks  to change their religions. But human sacrifying is totally against of ottoman ethics. I think they would not let this too.

I should also add, ottomans love to group their people and give them a leader.. So they can control this groups more easily. But this idea also help these groups protect their identity better. So I think, natives  of American would protect their identity better.

kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2007 at 07:01
I think the Ottomans would deal more with the control of the area rather than conversion of the people; because, the transfer of enough Muslim-Turkish people wouldn't be possible. They would use the local elites instead to control the area and maybe would convert these elites (in return, this could give way to the Islamization of some of the people in the long term - AFAIK like in Bosnia, where firstly elites converted and then the common people).
[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2007 at 08:33
Thats allways the case first the elites than the common folk. How do you think we became muslim.?
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2007 at 09:18
Bosnia is a exception, their belief where close to Islamic sunni (bektashi?) belief, it had more similarities with it so their converting to Islam was much more easier then i think that of the Aztecs (if happend). 

I think if Ottomans reached america's, they would start a system like the janissaries. Converting young children to bektashi sect (Islam with a local paganistic background to avoid a big cultural clash).
They would have eventually setup a vilayet system with a Ottoman pasha on their head.

But all in all, the Ottomans wherent interested in Americas i think, because when the Europeans found america Ottomans had allready filled their treasury and reached what they all wanted. They controlled the main trade routes, the dar-al Islam and they where the Caliph of the whole Islamic people.

Also B. emperor, Jihad can be declared when the Islamic people are being attacked by the non-believers IIRC.

Edited by DayI - 24-Jan-2007 at 09:31
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2007 at 15:02
It should be also noted that Americans may be able to fight the Turkish invaders back. I mean, the major reason for America to fall is the deadly diseases from Europe... right? It may be that the invading Turks do not have that kind of diseases... but perhaps they have something worse. Oh, I don't know anymore.

And the way the Turks expand to America might make difference to the destiny of Ottoman Empire in America. They need to expand quickly so that Euorpeans would barge in before they are firmly ready for invasion, but if they barge in too quickly... than the natives may see them as threat (Like how natives viewed the Vikings) and push the Turks back.

Or perhaps Turks might be welcomed. They got the guns, spice, advanced textile goods, and drugs. (Alcohol, medicine, etc.)

You know what? I am going to just send thousands of clone armies and dispatch them in Atlantic Ocean so that Turks could never reach America. The end.

Join us.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2007 at 18:18
Originally posted by pekau

If Islam manage to go all the way up to Arctic, I can see the success because Inuits had a belief that evil will triumph eventually, and the world would end. Islam may give them hope.

Wow, I did not know this!  Can you elaborate on this belief of the Inuits?  Do you think that they might be more open to Islam if the Ottoman colonizers made it to the Arctic?  Perhaps we would see a syncretic religion emerge, as pinguin suggested might happen with the Aztecs.

The Christian explores and other European expeditions would see this as the rise of Satanism, and they would create another crusade, which would be far more successful than before since the resistance from the Turks would be weaker. (They just explored it, right?) And Europeans would transport their troops faster and more effectively than Turks' assuming that they would send reinforcement.

The Spanish and Portuguese might indeed think this.  However, how would the English and the French react, specifically?  As you said earlier, keeping communication and supply lines open over the Atlantic would be difficult (which it was).  I think a Crusade would be nearly impossible to sustain.  It could possibly be done in the later sixteenth and into the seventeenth century.

Originally posted by HeorgltheMad

Sunni Muslim theology dictates that the all religious power rests in the imam for the good of the peoples. The imam would certainly attempt to spread Is-lam in the Americas whether by normal conversion through military conquest or subversion. This was also commonly used in pre-modern societies throughout the world.

Good point.  An understood imperative (is it actually in Muslim law?) is that the Sultan should bring all those places and peoples in the "Land of War" into the dar-al-Islam.  But were the Ottomans still as zealous in the propagation of the faith in the time of Suleiman the Magnificent and Selim as they were in the time of Mehmet II?  Or, were they fighting to sustain the borders of the Empire and to keep the economy running?  The religious imperative might have been wrapped up in these other things too.

Originally posted by Mortaza

I also think, ottomans generally used locals of conquered land to expand new land(or to rule new lands). So ottomans dont have any people to use at america. I think for them america is unimportant land.

Yes, good point.  Can you imagine, with as ferocious as Aztec warriors were, what they would be like having converted to Islam and enlisted in the Janissary corps?  These would be the new Ghazi warriors.  If Europe tried to launch another Crusade, the Aztec Janissaries would be very useful in protecting the colony.

Infact I think we should ask question a little different.What would be happen If azteks wanted ottoman help?

This would definitely spell trouble for European colonies and enterprises in the Americas!  It would be kind of like an early-modern Zimmerman Affair.

Hard question again. Ottomans were not actively seeking convert to people(Even at beginin their aim was to expand her land, not convert people.). They did not forced(except tax  policy) people to become muslim. So they would not force azteks  to change their religions...

But was the imperative to convert non-Muslims and expand the dar-al-Islam wrapped up in their wars of conquest?  I think at the beginning, when the Ottomans were just another tribal branch along with the Seljuks, there was an imperative to actively convert populations.

Therefore, I think there would be tremendous pressure from religious leaders back in the Old World to convert the Aztec populations.  As I said before, there is no way the Native Americans would be considered a people of the Book.  They would be considered pagans, which were required to convert, or be killed or banished at the least.

But human sacrifying is totally against of ottoman ethics. I think they would not let this too.

Then what methods would the Ottomans have to employ to get the Aztecs to stop?

I should also add, ottomans love to group their people and give them a leader.. So they can control this groups more easily. But this idea also help these groups protect their identity better. So I think, natives  of American would protect their identity better.

Can you be more specific?  Was this a certain system or program that was enacted among conquered populations?  It calls to mind the "ethnarchs" that were placed over the different people groups in Constantinople and in other Ottoman provinces after 1453.

Originally posted by kotumeyil

They would use the local elites instead to control the area and maybe would convert these elites (in return, this could give way to the Islamization of some of the people in the long term - AFAIK like in Bosnia, where firstly elites converted and then the common people).

This seems like what Mortaza was suggesting above.

Originally posted by DayI

I think if Ottomans reached america's, they would start a system like the janissaries. Converting young children to bektashi sect (Islam with a local paganistic background to avoid a big cultural clash).
They would have eventually setup a vilayet system with a Ottoman pasha on their head.

Very interesting!  Yes, I agree that these measures would be practical steps towards pacifying the Aztecs and ensuring their cooperation.  I did not know about these Bektashi sects and that the Ottomans had a tool with which they could deal with former pagan peoples.

Originally posted by DayI

Yes, I thought of this too.  With the Ottomans being a sophisticated equestrian people, and since they kept livestock, then they would undoubtedly bring some nasty germs against which the natives had no immunity.  What kind of germs come from camels, I wonder?  The Europeans did not bring a specific camel-borne germ to the New World.

Edited by Byzantine Emperor - 24-Jan-2007 at 19:30
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2007 at 19:15
I'd have to say that last post that Byzantine Emperor used to comment is not mine. The credit goes to DayI.Clap

Join us.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2007 at 19:27
I assume that Britain would do something to protect their sea supremacy at all cost. Ottoman Empire's navy would not be pleased to encounter British Royal Navy.

Originally posted by Byzantine Emperor

If Islam manage to go all the way up to Arctic, I can see the success because Inuits had a belief that evil will triumph eventually, and the world would end. Islam may give them hope.

Wow, I did not know this!  Can you elaborate on this belief of the Inuits?  Do you think that they might be more open to Islam if the Ottoman colonizers made it to the Arctic?  Perhaps we would see a syncretic religion emerge, as pinguin suggested might happen with the Aztecs.

I learned this from a German friend of mine. According to Guns, Germs and Steel by Mr. Diamond, (Great book, by the way. Recommended to read, especially you history fanatics...Tongue)

Many religions have this moral thing in common. The battle between good and evil. The conflict would be devastating, but good will eventually triumph, and evil will be casted into hell. And the good guys live happily ever after. The end.

But there are two religions (Known so far, anyway) that do not believe in this principle. Beliefs of the people of Inuit, and the Norsemen's belief.

Before I get anywhere, note that these people live in cold climate. Furthermore, they live in among the most harsh climate in the world. (They live awfully close to the Arctic.) This is why I adore this book. They just don't fill us with repeative details. It explains why. It shows interesting analysis. Notice where most of known deserts are now? Oh gosh, I will get there in a minute.

Anyways, yes. People familar to the Norse mythology should be able to support my statement. Evil will triumph. Inuits thought the same as well. Perhaps the difficult environment was a factor that affected their beliefs? Perhaps they were the survivor of Atlantis, and were horrrified of the civlization's end (My awful hypothesis)... and so on.

I will come back for more details. I got to study... the exam is in 3 days!Cry

Join us.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2007 at 19:45

I'd have to say that last post that Byzantine Emperor used to comment is not mine. The credit goes to DayI.

Fixed.  Thanks for pointing this out!  Clap

I assume that Britain would do something to protect their sea supremacy at all cost. Ottoman Empire's navy would not be pleased to encounter British Royal Navy.

Yes, this is not good for our adventurous Ottomans!  Although, as long as the Ottomans did not move into Northeastern America and Canada, perhaps the English would just ignore them.  They have the French and their indian allies to monitor.

I learned this from a German friend of mine. According to Guns, Germs and Steel by Mr. Diamond, (Great book, by the way. Recommended to read, especially you history fanatics...

As a matter of fact, the instructor for whose class I was a teaching assistant used this book as a required reading.  Although I don't fully buy his geographic determinist argument, it is well-researched and provides many interesting details on expansion.

Many religions have this moral thing in common. The battle between good and evil. The conflict would be devastating, but good will eventually triumph, and evil will be casted into hell. And the good guys live happily ever after. The end.

Yes, it is called Dualism (I think it's what you are describing).  Christianity fought a battle against it in late antiquity.  Did Islam have any problems with Dualist doctrines?

Anyways, yes. People familar to the Norse mythology should be able to support my statement. Evil will triumph. Inuits thought the same as well. Perhaps the difficult environment was a factor that affected their beliefs?

So do you think that Islam and the Inuit belief are compatible, to where there would be a combination?  I would say that it is not compatible and that the Ottoman imams in the expedition would call for the eradication of this part of their doctrine.

I will come back for more details. I got to study... the exam is in 3 days!

Please do return to this discussion.  Good luck on your exam in the mean time!  Smile

pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jan-2007 at 20:00
Quick note, I am trying to say that Islam might be a convincing to the Inuits since they feel that they are doomed. If Islam missionary spreads the idea that there's hope for Inuits, some may be convinced. Heck, I would go for it.  (Damn it, I should be studying PhysicsGeek)

Sigh, I am just probably being paronide again. I will just settle for two hours review. Wow, this site is addicting sometimes.

Join us.
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2007 at 03:39
Yes, good point.  Can you imagine, with as ferocious as Aztec warriors were, what they would be like having converted to Islam and enlisted in the Janissary corps?  These would be the new Ghazi warriors.  If Europe tried to launch another Crusade, the Aztec Janissaries would be very useful in protecting the colony.

Related to how aztec react janissaries. will they accept to give their sons? Also If they become muslims, They cannot become jannisary.

Gazis are generally muslims who live at the edge of empire. I dont think they have much job at america.

Also werent aztecs master of america?  what  can ottomans offer them?  (except attacking Europea or africa.) Would aztecs accept this offer? cooperation between aztecs and ottomans was not a possibility If you ask me.(But It would be interesting, If ottomans carry aztec warriors to Europea.)

Hmm, Ottomans  have  a policy(they  use some  times.) to exile rebellion villages. So,  most probably, Ottomans will exile some turkish or ottoman(greek, serb, ext..) clans to America. How will aztec react this. Also will exile aztecs or some natives to inside of anatolia.

Also It is important which ports ottoman will use for america. Anatolian ports would have great difficulty. So most probably ottomans will use african ports(people) for their expansion.  Hmm. This is realy a hard  to guess, what will african people do at america.

This would definitely spell trouble for European colonies and enterprises in the Americas!  It would be kind of like an early-modern Zimmerman Affair.

Yeah, just give natives cannons.

But was the imperative to convert non-Muslims and expand the dar-al-Islam wrapped up in their wars of conquest?  I think at the beginning, when the Ottomans were just another tribal branch along with the Seljuks, there was an imperative to actively convert populations.

Not excatly, at beginning ottomans were finding their army power from gazis or other turkish clans.(They are not from kayı clans.) They also have christian allies. Also janissaries are man powers comes from christians. So I think, ottomans will not try to convert people for man power.

Also at beginnings ottomans(They generally allied with other christian powers.) were weak, so they cannot follow such untolerant religious politics. they used gazis for expanding their lands but not converting other people.

Therefore, I think there would be tremendous pressure from religious leaders back in the Old World to convert the Aztec populations.  As I said before, there is no way the Native Americans would be considered a people of the Book.  They would be considered pagans, which were required to convert, or be killed or banished at the least.

That is true, they are not people of book, but religious authorities have not so big power to force patisah. So I am not sure what would happen. I think ottomans would accept them.(Like mughals did.) Natives are too much for converts or kill.

Also I dont think ottomans will directly control America. Most probably, they would built a lot allience and indirectly control over america.

I think, becoming muslim will come with this allience system. Enemy nations inside of america will seek for ottoman allience, so some of them would convert to islam and ottomans would use them for expansion. (I have not any knowledge about america.. So I just guess, they are enemy clans and nations inside of america.)

Then what methods would the Ottomans have to employ to get the Aztecs to stop?

I think, they would firstly warn them for this. Secondly, Cihad. Human sacrifying is much for ottomans. But I am not even sure about this. I think I should read much about ottomans war at the middle africa. So I can built some hypotesis.

Can you be more specific?  Was this a certain system or program that was enacted among conquered populations?  It calls to mind the "ethnarchs" that were placed over the different people groups in Constantinople and in other Ottoman provinces after 1453.

Likely, but I am not sure how can ottoman class aztecs.

I did not know about these Bektashi sects and that the Ottomans had a tool with which they could deal with former pagan peoples.

well, It is  a little different than Dayı said. Acording to sunnis of Turks, leader of this sect(Bektasi) was a sunni and later this sect is changed something else.(with destroyance of yeniceris, this sect is largely destroyed.)  I dont know If It have relation with paganism. I think biggest follower of this sect is Albanians.

So do you think that Islam and the Inuit belief are compatible, to where there would be a combination?  I would say that it is not compatible and that the Ottoman imams in the expedition would call for the eradication of this part of their doctrine.

Hardest part of ottoman imams(They called Ulema) was living in istanbul. I am not sure they would go to america for spreading islam.(I should add there is not a church system at islam, so muslim missionaries are generally personal works.)

Most probably, It would be sufist or religious tarikats which would go america for convertion. They are somehow more opportunist than Ottoman Ulema.

Edited by Mortaza - 25-Jan-2007 at 03:51
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2007 at 09:50

Related to how aztec react janissaries. will they accept to give their sons? Also If they become muslims, They cannot become jannisary.

Not sure what you mean here.  I know that Janissaries were recruited from non-Muslim families.  But they are required to convert upon becoming Janissaries, correct?  If they became Muslim first, yes, they would be ineligible.

Gazis are generally muslims who live at the edge of empire. I dont think they have much job at america.

Why not?  It would seem to me that an outpost or colony in far-off America would definitely be considered the edge of the Empire.

Also werent aztecs master of america?  what  can ottomans offer them?  (except attacking Europea or africa.) Would aztecs accept this offer? cooperation between aztecs and ottomans was not a possibility If you ask me.(But It would be interesting, If ottomans carry aztec warriors to Europea.)

To answer this I think we must apply knowledge of real historical outcomes to the situation.  What did the Spanish, French, and English have to offer the Native Americans when they came to the New World?  Besides the negative things like debilitating diseases, the Europeans offered tradable goods and certain economic benefits.  Even if they were not willing to voluntarily give the indians this, the Europeans brought technological advancements, horses, and new crops to the New World.  The Ottomans could offer these same things if not more, as pekau indicated earlier.  As DayI pointed out, the Ottomans controlled some lucrative trade routes; if they could find a way to network them (via Africa, maybe) to the Americas, this might be beneficial.

Hmm, Ottomans  have  a policy(they  use some  times.) to exile rebellion villages. So,  most probably, Ottomans will exile some turkish or ottoman(greek, serb, ext..) clans to America. How will aztec react this. Also will exile aztecs or some natives to inside of anatolia.

Actually, I think this is a practice that the Ottomans inherited from the Byzantines.  The fine art of population transfer.  It provides manpower to both the colony and the Empire back home.  If the transplanted Aztecs are converted, and some are Janissaries, it would re-enforce Anatolia, which was a difficult area to maintain for both the Byzantines and the Ottomans.  It would definitely add a whole to element to the ethnic character of the region!

Also at beginnings ottomans(They generally allied with other christian powers.) were weak, so they cannot follow such untolerant religious politics. they used gazis for expanding their lands but not converting other people.

Yes, but as the Empire became larger and difficult to manage, it became less tolerant towards different religious beliefs.  Here is where they would probably declare Jihad against the Aztecs who still clung to their old naturistic religion.

I think I should read much about ottomans war at the middle africa. So I can built some hypotesis.

I should probably read more on this too.  When the Ottomans controlled most of North Africa, how much contact did they have with non-Muslim, black natives from Middle Africa?  It is a very interesting idea; I will see if I can find any literature on the subject.  Let us know what you find as well.

well, It is  a little different than Dayı said. Acording to sunnis of Turks, leader of this sect(Bektasi) was a sunni and later this sect is changed something else.(with destroyance of yeniceris, this sect is largely destroyed.)  I dont know If It have relation with paganism. I think biggest follower of this sect is Albanians.

So you think that the method of conversion to Bektashi sects is not applicable to the situation with the Aztecs?  I guess we would have to look at what religion the peoples were in the Old World who converted to the Bektashi.  My guess is the Albanians were Orthodox before the Ottoman conquest.  But there is a chance that some of the old Slavic pagan practices had survived in the rural areas, I suppose.

Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2007 at 10:23

Sigh, I am just probably being paronide again. I will just settle for two hours review. Wow, this site is addicting sometimes.

Wellcome to the evil side of the history forums Evil%20Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>