Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Major League Baseball 2007 season

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Major League Baseball 2007 season
    Posted: 26-Sep-2007 at 17:56
Looks like my prediction of A-Rod's numbers has come to fruition.  He now has 53 homeruns and 151 RBI on the year with a few games left.  Incidentally, he has 24 stolen bases as well.  Too bad he did not run more for a possible total of 40 or 50!

Also, this should not be overlooked.  Prince Fielder just became the youngest player in MLB history to hit 50 homeruns in a season.  At age 23 he broke the record of Willie Mays, who was 24 when he hit 50 in 1955.

Edited by Byzantine Emperor - 27-Sep-2007 at 03:21
Kaysaar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kaysaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2007 at 20:47
What a way to end the season!

Now a question:

Following the false call that allowed the Rockies to slide into the playoffs, should Baseball institute a replay system in questionable calls?
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2007 at 22:11
Originally posted by Kaysaar

What a way to end the season!

Now a question:

Following the false call that allowed the Rockies to slide into the playoffs, should Baseball institute a replay system in questionable calls?

No.  Chance is and has been part of the game since forever.  Close calls are part of the game.  ML umps rarely blow a call and I don't see a reason to slow the game down anymore than it is now.  Every sport has had incidents, usually in Championship games, that get a lot of folks upset and start calling for replay.  The NY Islanders once won the Stanley Cup on a goal with a man 30 ft. past the blue line.  The refs missed it and allowed the goal.  [the other team was the Flyers]  Philly fans went nuts for 2 weeks, but NHL held tight and refused to consider instant replay and I think the game was better for it.   
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
ChickenShoes View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote ChickenShoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2007 at 16:17
rockies v yankees, i'd like to see that series. terrible year to be a met fan, some of my friends were devestated.
It is not enough that I succeed - everyone else must fail
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2007 at 03:18
Originally posted by ChickenShoes

rockies v yankees, i'd like to see that series. terrible year to be a met fan, some of my friends were devestated.

Yeah, the Mets really plummeted at the end.

But what about the Yankees?  It looks like it will be a no-brainer for Steinbrenner at the end of the postseason: Torre will be booted and A-Rod will not be given the opportunity to have his contract picked up for another season.  Are we witnessing the crumbling of a dynasty? Shocked

Edited by Byzantine Emperor - 08-Oct-2007 at 03:19
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2007 at 04:29
The ball is entirely in A-Rod's court if he will be playing for the Yankees next year since the option in his contract is a player option. The dynasty crumbled in 2001 when Mariano blew the save in Game 7 of the world series. I personally thought that Joe Torre should have been given the boot at the end of last season. I think that next year's Yankee manager will be Joe Girardi or Don Mattingly (which I would consider a mistake).
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2007 at 04:40
Originally posted by King John

The ball is entirely in A-Rod's court if he will be playing for the Yankees next year since the option in his contract is a player option. The dynasty crumbled in 2001 when Mariano blew the save in Game 7 of the world series. I personally thought that Joe Torre should have been given the boot at the end of last season. I think that next year's Yankee manager will be Joe Girardi or Don Mattingly (which I would consider a mistake).

I read that Steinbrenner was saying something to the effect that he had not yet decided what to do about the "A-Rod Question," as if he had some kind of control over the situation.  But then again, this is Steinbrenner. LOL

They would consider Mattingly for the job?  I don't know, has he had any managerial experience?

King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2007 at 04:52
He's currently their bench coach and the past couple of years they have been grooming him to be manager. Steinbrenner just hasn't decided how much money he's going to give A-Rod yet.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2007 at 04:59
Originally posted by King John

He's currently their bench coach and the past couple of years they have been grooming him to be manager. Steinbrenner just hasn't decided how much money he's going to give A-Rod yet.

Where do you think he would go if he opts out?  Perhaps he might go to the Angels or the Twins, who are opening up room on the payroll by letting Santana and Hunter go.  There was some speculation that Barry Bonds might go to the Twins for this reason.

It would be interesting to see A-Rod go to the A's!  Nick Swisher and Jack Cust could use the help in the power department.  Plus, Eric Chavez is becoming a liability with all of his injuries and reduced production.  I wonder if the A's payroll could afford him...

Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2007 at 07:15
That would be unforgivable if they brought in Bonds.  Just unforgivable.  I am still very concerned over this whole Santana business.  Unless he is just too expensive or we think Liriano will be able to take his place I don't understand what we are doing.  Though over the years that has become so common I haven't even reacted to letting hunter go.
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2007 at 13:45
I think A-Rod goes to the Cubs if he opts out. I don't see the Twins being able to afford the 30+million that A-Rod will command. I however would like to see the Yankees pick up Santana and keep both Posada and Mariano (who are both going to be free agents at the end of this year).
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2007 at 05:42
^^ I agree, I don't see how we could afford A-rod.  Our current payroll is something like 60 million.  (which is huge for the twins, we're used to something like 30-40 million)  Polad may be a billionaire but he is the cheapest Censored imaginable.  Santana go to the Yankees?  God no!

Kaysaar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kaysaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2007 at 13:48
But the biggest question is: Do you want A-rod in the post-season? His regular season stats are excellent, but he consistently struggles in the post-season - why pay 20 million a year for that?
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2007 at 14:43
He hasn't always stunk in the post season. Plus he is one of the greatest players of the generation if not of all time, so the big question is why wouldn't you want him? There is something to be said for carrying teams during the regular season, which is what he did this year and while he was in Texas. The Yankees don't lose because A-Rod doesn't hit, they lose because they don't have the pitching nor the defence to compete with other American League teams in a shortened series. The Yankees are built to beat up on bad pitching but good pitching will beat them everytime; case in point 2006 ALDS against the Tigers in this series the Yanks were over matched by a very good pitching staff. This is why I want the Yanks to go after Johan Santana, really hard. The Yankees also need more role players and less stars.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 17:18
Is anyone watching the World Series? 

I thought the Rockies were going to put up a good fight.  However, it looks like we might have a sweep by the Red Sox.  Their pitching has just been lights-out from the beginning.  After their mediocre seasons, it seemed Schilling and Matsuzaka might turn into problems in the post-season.  So far it has been the opposite.  Any thoughts?

Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 17:23
Honestly, I thought this is how it would go.  If the Rockies had not had eight straight days off I would have said they would be up 2-0.  Too bad, I wanted to see the Rockies win, still a chance but slim.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2007 at 04:15
Originally posted by Justinian

Honestly, I thought this is how it would go.  If the Rockies had not had eight straight days off I would have said they would be up 2-0.  Too bad, I wanted to see the Rockies win, still a chance but slim.

Well, the Red Sox just won the World Series.  The Rockies at least tried to put up a fight last night and tonight.  It was pretty close there for a few innings with the score being 4-3.

Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2007 at 04:32
Yes, I watched most of last nights game which turned out to be exciting at times.  I didn't really watch tonights game, I tuned in around the 6th and it wasn't close, so I flipped to something else.  In any case it was nice to see the rockies just get to the world series.  The red sox are becoming the new yankees, now we have yankees A and yankees B.Ermm 

Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2007 at 05:10
Originally posted by Justinian

The red sox are becoming the new yankees, now we have yankees A and yankees B.Ermm

Hahaha, yeah, I have seen that being said quite a bit lately.  Did you see that A-Rod opted out of his contract with the Yankees?  Where do you think he might go?  I have heard Red Sox and Angels mentioned.  It would be cool to see him go to the A's, with them getting rid of the ailing Eric Chavez.  But I doubt Oakland has room on the budget.

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2007 at 19:09
Sox pitching was too much. That pretty much sums up my impressions of this world series. Rockies couldn't manage to get to home plate. Good team with hardly any errors. Given anybody else they might have had a chance.

Eight days off is way too much time to get out of tune. Same happened to last years Tigers. 

Cheers to Boston. One hell of a sports scene this year. Red Sox take the World Series, Boston College is ranked number two and the Patriots are kicking ass and taking names.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>