Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wrongful recognition?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dilvish View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dilvish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wrongful recognition?
    Posted: 17-Jan-2007 at 17:40
Why does Christopher Colombus have recognition over the discovery of North America if the vikings where truly the one's to come over here first?
konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2007 at 18:59
Discovery of America by the Vikings is disputed by some, though there is concrete archaeological evidence--though not exactly sure where and what kind.
Also, Viking discovery did not lead to settlement or any serious alteration of the  nature of the population and it was subsequently lost to  myth while "Big Chris" discovery lead to the inundation of the New World with Indoeuropeans and establishment of a  huge overseas empire by Spain both of which had profound effects in modern european history. 
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2007 at 19:07
Appearantly, Vikings were not the first one. The Irish missionaries were supposedly ahead of Vikings. But then, we may never know. Supposedly, the Pheonicans reached to South America... Chinese traders reaching to America... and now, the scholars from Middle East say they were the ones that discovered the America first! Me confused...

I now give up all this "Who found America first" debate. I simply now say, "The native tribes found America first.", which is technically true.

Join us.
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2007 at 19:13
Google "Lance aux Meadows" and you will find all the information you need on the Viking settlement in Newfoundland.

It was excavated in the 1950's I believe, and prior to that event, Columbus held the honor of discovering America.

~ Northman
Dilvish View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Dilvish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2007 at 19:40
didnt the vikings get to america before columbus and we all know the native americans came through the beringia land bridge from asia and setttled here first, but i am reffering to the first discovery of America involving the crossing of the Atlantic
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2007 at 20:08
Originally posted by pekau

Appearantly, Vikings were not the first one. The Irish missionaries were supposedly ahead of Vikings. But then, we may never know. Supposedly, the Pheonicans reached to South America... Chinese traders reaching to America... and now, the scholars from Middle East say they were the ones that discovered the America first! Me confused...

I now give up all this "Who found America first" debate. I simply now say, "The native tribes found America first.", which is technically true.

Let us not forget the Jews, the true first people to discover America according to some scholars!LOL

Dilvish View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Dilvish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2007 at 20:10
who told u that, i never even heard of that, or where u bein sarcastic?
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2007 at 20:26
It was discussed on this forum once, but since the search engine is not working, I cannot find the link.

Dilvish View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Dilvish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2007 at 20:28
umm.......ever heard of google?
Dilvish View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Dilvish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2007 at 20:31
sry to bring this out of nowhere, but im watchin beauty and the geek and i REALLY feel bad for these geeks.....
 Post Reply Post Reply