Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Is there any similarity between Islam and Zoroastrianism?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is there any similarity between Islam and Zoroastrianism?
    Posted: 02-Jan-2005 at 09:21

The Quran mentions Huris several times 44:50, 52:20, 55:60, 56:20, 78:33. Who or what are they? They are 'bashful virgins', 'fair as coral and ruby', 'dark eyed youths', 'high bosomed maidens (big breasted)'.

Arent they the same Paris in the Zoroastrian holy book Avesta? Pari = Fairy / Bird (Par=to fly)

Where are Huris? They are in Faradaws, what is Faradaws? In Quran Faradaws, is described as an eternal spring and garden with which the trees have continuous blossoms and everything is joyful. There is no corruption in this world. The minerals are valuable and crystallized. In Faradaws the faithful recline at ease, drinking and enjoying the embraces of their celestial spouses. In this garden, there is no time and its inhabitants are all young.

Isn't it the same Paridaeza in Avesta? Paridaeza (Garden of Paris) = Paradise

In Quran there is a bridge which passes over Hell to Paradise, it is called Sirat, the Bridge of Sirat is narrower than a spider's thread and sharper than a sword. Only the good pass swiftly over it, while the wicked fall down to the mid-Hell it spans.

And in Avesta it is: Chinvat = Chain / the connecting link

Din -> Daena (Religion), Jahannam -> Gahnam (Hell), Barzakh -> Bardax (Isthmus), Jen -> Jina (Demon), Rab -> Rahba (God/the way), Shara -> Shah Rah (Religion/King way), Raheb -> Rah Ban (Monk/Follower of the way), Jaziya -> Gazyat (Tribute), Harut -> Hurvatat (Name of an angle), Marut -> Ameretat [Immortal] (Name of an angle), ...

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2005 at 13:25

Cyrus  how do you pronounce Zoroastrianism in persian?

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2005 at 14:21
Well Cyrus the Islamic response would be:

1. Muhammed had no way of knowing what Zoroastrianism was or indeed any of its beliefs. It was not a religion practiced in Arabia. Muslims were only introduced to it during the conquest of Persia.

2. If there are similiarities then it could be due to the fact that God sent messengers or Prophets to every land/nation before Muhammed, and those Prophets/Messengers (128,000 in all) all preached the same message. Therefore it is possible that Zoroastrianism had a divine origin but was later altered by man. In that respect there would still be similarities because the islamic faith and message are universal.
Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2005 at 20:56

Maybe the easier question to ask is if there is that much of a conceptual difference.

At the high level Zoroastranism has a lot of emphasis on content of of individual character rather than which religion the individual believes in, and equality of all religions (this may have eventually contributed to their demise). Zoroastranism also has a relatively gentle, and at time pacifist characteristic.

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2005 at 03:29

well said  wiseking 

Anujkhamar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2005 at 09:39
Around Xmas time the BBC showed a program called the three kings. It was about the tree kings from legend, who gave jesus his presents as a baby. it discussed that they were maji from persia and talked about how both zoarastrians and jews were awaiting their messiah. they came to jeruselem through a trade route linking babylon (i think) to jeruslem and then found the baby jesus "in a manger".

the point is that i wouldnt be surprised if there were similarities due to the fact that there was alot of trade happening between Judea and Persia and also there was alot of exchange of thought.

Islam branched out from judaism so it to would have the similarites.

I remember reading somewhre that Judaism branched out from zoarastrianism before, if i find the link i will post it.
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2005 at 10:18

Anujkhamar, Do you know the famous Indian writer Ahmed Rushdie? he has written a book about the illiterate Mohammad the prophet's scribe, Salman Farsi (Salman the Persian), entitled "The Satanic Verses".

Ahmed Rushdie

One night the Persian scribe had a dream in which he was hovering above the figure of Mohammad the Prophet's cave on Mount Cone....[It] struck him that his point of view had been that of the arch-angel, and at that moment the memory of the incident of the Satanic verses came back to him as vividly as if the thing had happened the previous day. "Maybe I hadn't dreamed of myself as Gibreel," Salman recounted. "Maybe I was Shaitan [Satan]." The realization of this possibility gave him his diabolic idea. After that, when he sat at the Prophet's feet, writing down rules rules rules, he began, surreptitiously, to change things.
"Little things at first. If Mohammad recited a verse in which God was described as all-hearing, all-knowing, I would write, all-knowing, all-wise. Here's the point: Mohammad did not notice the alterations. So there I was, actually writing the book, polluting the word of God with my own profane language. But, good heavens, if my poor words could not be distinguished from the Revelation by God's own messenger, then what did that mean? What did that say about the quality of the divine poetry? Look, I swear, I was shaken to my soul....I was writing the Revelation and nobody was noticing, and I didn't have the courage to own up. I was scared silly, I can tell you. Also: I was sadder than I have ever been.

Ayatollah Khomeini pronounced a death fatwa on Rushdie because he accused Muslims and Persians!!!

Fizzil View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Fizzil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2005 at 12:07
Wasn't it Salman Rushdie?

Ayatollah Khomeini stirred up alot of trouble with his death fatwa, its what made the book famous, i read the book a long time ago, its based on 2 fictional people from india that went to the USA and related to the events happening there with Islam.

About the paragraph in Cyrus' post, Salman was not even mohammeds scribe.. he was a pretty good general though

He advised to build a trench (in battle of the trench) and defeated the huge alliance that were planning to oust the muslims in al madinah.

Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2005 at 15:27

Prophet Muhammad says "If knowledge were suspended from ath-Thurayya (the Pleiades, very distant stars), Persians would reach it.", he puts his hand on Salman and says: "If faith were also at ath-Thurayya, even then some men from these people (Persians) would attain it."

Wasn't it Salman Rushdie?

No, Rushdie changed his first name to the main character of his book.

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2005 at 19:29
even though I was so little, i remember being mad when hearing that the craven and cowardly bookstores in the US often would not carry Rushdies book for fear of having to fend of some kind of islamic attack.  fools, th ewritten word is more important than what some loser with a goofy black hat thinks.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jan-2005 at 20:44

goofy black hat  

That is why Ibn Warraq is not a real person

Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2005 at 09:21

More about similarites:

Zoroaster instructed his followers to pray in the prescence of fire. Fire was a symbol of order and justice. An earthly fire can represent fire, by the Sun, or by the Moon. Zorastrians must pray five times (bow down 17 times) every 24 hours - sunrise, noon, sunset, midnight and dawn.

It is the holiest Zoroastrian site which is believed to be "The house of Ahura Mazda and six Amesha Spentas":

Muslims call it the "Kaaba of Zoroaster".

In a special ceremony, Zoroastrians walked around it seven times.

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2005 at 09:33
intersting
Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2005 at 22:07
<>From The Origins of the Qur'an by  Goldsack:

.....Every Muslim is familiar with the story of Muhammad's celebrated night journey known as the Mi'raj. Yet the Qur'an, strange to say, has only the briefest reference to this wondrous event, which we here quote from Suratu Bani Isra'il (xvii. i).

"Praise be to Him who transported His servant by nigh from the sacred temple to the farther temple, the circuit of which we have blessed, that We might show him of Our signs."

There is another reference in the 62nd verse of the same Sura to this same event, where we read:-

"We have not appointed the vision which We showed thee, except as a test for men." This latter statement notwithstanding, Muhammadan commentators and Traditionists delight to paint in detail a literal bodily journey by night upon the back of a fabulous steed, not merely to the further temple (the temple of Jerusalem), but to heaven itself, where the Prophet ascended from story to story, until he reached the very presence of God and learned many of the secrets of heaven.

......from the Persians, for in the "Arta' Viraf Namak" which was written some four hundred years before his time, we find a similar story - agreeing in many of its details - in which the here a young magian priest of saintly life, ascended to heaven under the guidance of an angel, and after passing into the very presence of God and beholding the felicities of heaven returned to the earth to tell Zoroastrians what he had seen.1.....

Anujkhamar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2005 at 10:35
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

Anujkhamar, Do you know the famous Indian writer Ahmed Rushdie? he has written a book about the illiterate Mohammad the prophet's scribe, Salman Farsi (Salman the Persian), entitled "The Satanic Verses".

Ahmed Rushdie

One night the Persian scribe had a dream in which he was hovering above the figure of Mohammad the Prophet's cave on Mount Cone....[It] struck him that his point of view had been that of the arch-angel, and at that moment the memory of the incident of the Satanic verses came back to him as vividly as if the thing had happened the previous day. "Maybe I hadn't dreamed of myself as Gibreel," Salman recounted. "Maybe I was Shaitan [Satan]." The realization of this possibility gave him his diabolic idea. After that, when he sat at the Prophet's feet, writing down rules rules rules, he began, surreptitiously, to change things.
"Little things at first. If Mohammad recited a verse in which God was described as all-hearing, all-knowing, I would write, all-knowing, all-wise. Here's the point: Mohammad did not notice the alterations. So there I was, actually writing the book, polluting the word of God with my own profane language. But, good heavens, if my poor words could not be distinguished from the Revelation by God's own messenger, then what did that mean? What did that say about the quality of the divine poetry? Look, I swear, I was shaken to my soul....I was writing the Revelation and nobody was noticing, and I didn't have the courage to own up. I was scared silly, I can tell you. Also: I was sadder than I have ever been.

Ayatollah Khomeini pronounced a death fatwa on Rushdie because he accused Muslims and Persians!!!

never heard of him. sadly indian literature is not one of my strongpoints.
however, this does seem interesting, i'll have to look into this.

thanks cyrus!
Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2005 at 15:16
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2005 at 08:24
I read in book that Persians also considered "Mecca" as a holy city and called it "Bagarahba" which means "the way of the God", I think it is possible that "Mecca" is arabicized version of "Maggia" (City of Magis).
mercurybc View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote mercurybc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2010 at 06:01
Wiseking says as a comment : "Muhammed had no way of knowing what Zoroastrianism was or indeed any of its beliefs. It was not a religion practiced in Arabia. Muslims were only introduced to it during the conquest of Persia."....I should say ,my friend , you forgot about Salman Farsi (the Iranian guy who always was with Muhammad), in a way Salman Farsi was the real founder of Islam, and HE brought all these elements of Zoroastrianism into Islam...those similarities are not made by God , but by Salman Farsi !!
Mercurybc
 Post Reply Post Reply