Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Did Chinggis really conquer more than Alexander?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Mangudai View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mangudai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Did Chinggis really conquer more than Alexander?
    Posted: 30-Dec-2004 at 14:42

Often it is said that Chinggis Khan conquered twice as much land as Alexander. But is that really true? To me it seems as if they actually use to compare the empire of Alexander with the Mongol empire at it's peak ca 1260 (33 years of perpetual conquest after Chinggis' death). Many books claim that Chinggis conquered China and Persia - but it's not true. Sure most of Chin and the entire Xixia teritorries were conquered, as were Transoxiania and Khwarizm. But still - parts of Chin remained autonomous, Khurassan and Iraq Ajemi (today's Iran and Afghanistan) in Central Asia were completely devastated but yet not officially incorporated into mongol realm until gtai Kha'an. Also the extent of the northern border into Siberia is a matter of debate - I'm not even sure whether the loose annexion of vast but sparsely populated forrest-areas could be considered to be real conquests? Also, the expansion in the western steppes is also debated. We don't know how much land Jochi conqured in his father's name, some maps actually show that Chinggis' conquests stretched as far as the Kalka river and to the Sea of Azov (including the Kaukasus) - which is wrong since Djebe and Sbetai didn't really conquer those areas. As far as I know - the mongols exerted no authority over any steppe people west of the Ural until the great invasion 1236, despite the victories of Djebe and Sbedai during their raid 1221-24. The qanqalis in present day Kazakhstan were subdued by Jochi, but the western kipchaqs were not conquered until 1236-37 - several years after Chinggis' death.

Taken this into account - did Chinggis really conquer more than Alexander?

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2004 at 15:02
Well he still conquered a good chuink of Eurasia (modern day Russia plus Central Asia, though not all of it), thats some serious square milage.
Arrrgh!!"
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2004 at 15:10
I think the Empire at Chinghis's death was indeed 2.5 time bigger than Alexander's Empire, at something like 5.2 million sq miles, vs Alexander's 2.1 million sq miles. (The Mongol khanates combined as large as Chinggis' Empire).  Chinggis did lead most of the expeditions. He lead all of the campaigns against the Jin untill 1215 (I think, not sure), and took part in 1/3 of the western campaign, including 1/2 of the effectively conquered areas. He lead all the campaigns in Mongolia, and against the Uighurs.

I think Chinggis did conquer at least 1.5 times more land area than Alexander, but it is true that he never led a single campaign that was as long as Alex's. Many of his campaigns were multiple pronged attacks, led by his other commanders. Even
Tamerlane won victories in more land than Alexander did.

Edited by Imperator Invictus
mongke View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote mongke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2004 at 15:14
I don't think Chingghis conquered twice as much as Alexander. For one thing a lot of forays were for reconnaissance purposes or pursuit of an enemy not conquests. The actual domain in which he was in control could have just constituted the traditional steppes north of China (the Chin weren't even subdued completely yet) and maybe the Kwarezm or parts of it.
Vamun Tianshu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Vamun Tianshu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2004 at 15:49

Make your own decision as to what Genghis Khan and Alexander conquered.

Genghis Khan's Empire at its peak

Alexander the Great's Empire at its peak

Take into the account that Genghis Khan probably didn't conquer all that land within that number of years that Alexander conquered,and so forth like the continuation of his line with his sons,as Alexander's son was killed before he was of age.Also take into consideration the features of the map,and the area they both encompass.It might be distorted,but the areas you can see clearer as to where theya re,like the Arabian Pensinsula is on both maps,that can be a way of figuring out which is bigger.

Edited by Vamun Tianshu

In Honor
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2004 at 16:05

this is the real extend of Chinggis' conquest:

Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2004 at 16:40
Almsot forgot about my maps!

This is his empire at his death. You can mentall draw Alex's empire there to compare.

Edited by Imperator Invictus
TheOrcRemix View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote TheOrcRemix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2004 at 21:19
looks like Alex's empire is smaller....
True peace is not the absence of tension, but the presence of justice.
Sir Francis Drake is the REAL Pirate of the Caribbean
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2004 at 00:54

anyway if the Genghis khan's empire at his death not twice the Alexander's empire

it still bigger , it wont be smaller than alexander's empire

Turk View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2004 at 01:06
I believe Cengiz Han conquered more. Plus I am very skeptical of Alexander the Great.
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2004 at 03:06
If chinghis khan just conquered Kazakhstan then its empire would be larger than Alexander's empire, however Kazakhstan is one of ten large counties of the world but the whole population of this country is less than Tehran!
Mangudai View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Mangudai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2004 at 07:25

Yes, this is what I'm talking about. The map below is quite reliable (except that more of Kazakhstan - the ulus of Jochi - probably should be incorporated). Vamun Tianshu, your map shows the mongol empire at it's peak at the time of Khubilai Khan after his conquest of the Sung (in 1279), not the conquests of Chinggis 1206-1227

Originally posted by Temujin

this is the real extend of Chinggis' conquest:

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2004 at 15:31
Originally posted by Mangudai

(except that more of Kazakhstan - the ulus of Jochi - probably should be incorporated). 

the Qangli were not conquered, however they were defeated by the returning expeditionary force of Sbe'edai and submitted thereafter. so the map of Imp Inv shows the Mongol empire at the beginning of gdais reign, but mine shows the extend of Chingiz empire at his death = the "real" conquests.

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Dec-2004 at 16:26

http://www.hostkingdom.net/earthrul.html

Alexander's Empire according to this site was 5,439,000 sq. km.

The Mongol's 9 years after Genghis's death 33,152,000 sq. km. the 3rd largest enpire in history. Even if it was only half the size 9 years earlier it wiped the floor with Alexander's.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2005 at 00:59
I think this thread goes to show that size really does matter.
Member of IAEA
Mangudai View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Mangudai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2005 at 10:21
Originally posted by Temujin

the Qangli were not conquered, however they were defeated by the returning expeditionary force of Sbe'edai and submitted thereafter. so the map of Imp Inv shows the Mongol empire at the beginning of gdais reign, but mine shows the extend of Chingiz empire at his death = the "real" conquests.

So what you're saying is that Jochi actually only reigned over a part of today's eastern Kazakhstan and south Siberia?

mongke View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote mongke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2005 at 18:19

Originally posted by Genghis

You could conquer the sahara and end up with a large empire of worthless land.

Mangudai View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Mangudai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2005 at 06:07
Originally posted by mongke

Originally posted by Genghis

You could conquer the sahara and end up with a large empire of worthless land.

Say that to the french

Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2005 at 12:35

Or to Mansa Musa.

Member of IAEA
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2005 at 12:54
Originally posted by Mangudai

So what you're saying is that Jochi actually only reigned over a part of today's eastern Kazakhstan and south Siberia?

have you forgotten that Jochi died shortly before Chignis Qa'an himself? Jochi in fact reigned nothing. the territory given to his sons later was only called Ulus of Jochi.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>