Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Kingdom of Heaven

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
ataman View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ataman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kingdom of Heaven
    Posted: 04-Feb-2007 at 01:32
Originally posted by Emperor Barbarossa

I just hope Mel Gibson does not get his hands on either of these historical events. I can just imagine the movie he would make.

Emperor Barbarossa, I have 2 news for you - a good one and a bad one.
A good news - There is a Polish buissnesmen, who wants to invest over 40mln $ and make a movie about the battle of Vienna 1683. AFAIK it should be done soon - until the end of 2009.
A bad news - this buissnessmen wants to engage Mel Gibson (as a Jan III Sobieski) Smile. I only don't know if Gibson has already agreed.
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2007 at 08:33
Originally posted by ataman

Originally posted by Emperor Barbarossa

I just hope Mel Gibson does not get his hands on either of these historical events. I can just imagine the movie he would make.

Emperor Barbarossa, I have 2 news for you - a good one and a bad one.
A good news - There is a Polish buissnesmen, who wants to invest over 40mln $ and make a movie about the battle of Vienna 1683. AFAIK it should be done soon - until the end of 2009.
A bad news - this buissnessmen wants to engage Mel Gibson (as a Jan III Sobieski) Smile. I only don't know if Gibson has already agreed.

Damnit! Why would they pick Mel to be Jan III Sobieski? Did Sobieski really hate the Jews that much?LOL I mean, I think Sean Connery would do a much better Sobieski than Mel, but that is just my opinion.

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2007 at 10:14
Ooh. Yep, Sean would do a thousand times better job... Although Mel is too a fine actor... Patriot is just a magnificent movie...
Eondt View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Eondt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2007 at 04:45
If Mel Gibson's able to direct the plot, I'm sure the Turks would somehow be substituted by English along the lineBig%20smile
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2007 at 09:49
Originally posted by Eondt

If Mel Gibson's able to direct the plot, I'm sure the Turks would somehow be substituted by English along the lineBig%20smile

Yes, and somehow, there will be some Scots in kilts fighting on the front lines.LOL

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2007 at 11:34
Stop it.

This topic is terrible mislead and I ask you to begin another one to talk of future medieval movies...

The main thing is that the Turks aren't replaced with samurai... then everything is okay.
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2007 at 13:51
Originally posted by rider

Stop it.

This topic is terrible mislead and I ask you to begin another one to talk of future medieval movies...

The main thing is that the Turks aren't replaced with samurai... then everything is okay.

Sorry, rider. We sort of got way off topic here.

duchess View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote duchess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2007 at 02:32
question: the songs played in this movie and other historical movies...that seem church like , i think they are Latin and tend to be lead by a choir in movies like Elizabeth I and kingdom of heaven , what type of genre of music is that? i think its fascinating and would love to hear more of it.
as well in the movie...i thought that the 12th century was very vividly brought to life despite the historical inaccuracies , does any 1 know if that was the attire that the leper king wore , as in the mask and all?
as well the 'fictional' character of Tiberias isn't actually fictional , Tiberias was a territory incorporated at some time into the county of tripoli ( presumably by marriage or conquest ) and the character depicted in the movie was modeled after Raymond III count of tripoli :)

Edited by duchess - 25-Feb-2007 at 03:11
" foul as it is, Hell Itself is defiled by the presence of john"- Mathew paris
Joinville View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Joinville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Feb-2007 at 04:35
Sure, but they sort of juggled the roles around. The little speech of warning Balian makes befor the Christian army moves out to Hattin was in fact made by Raymond of Tripolis.
Tiberias happened to be a castle he owned, which was at the time besieged by Saladin, with Raymond's wife trapped inside it. Despite this Raymond advised against the relieving the castle as it would be to dangerous.
One must not insult the future.
Melisende View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Melisende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2007 at 05:12

I have yet to watch KoH - despite owning the DVD.

It held so much promise when I first saw the promo - but now, considering the bastardization of the characters, I think I may boycott it still for a while yet.

I was especially disappointed in the "Balian" character - the original Balian would have been much better!

Think I shall go watch Rex Harrison as Saladin - much more entertaining!!

(And being an Aussie - the only good Mel Gibson movies are: Gallipoli, Mad Max 1-3, and the first Lethal Weapon - all the rest are rubbish)

Edited by Melisende - 26-Feb-2007 at 05:15
"For my part, I adhere to the maxim of antiquity: The throne is a glorious sepulchre."
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2007 at 07:31
Originally posted by duchess

question: the songs played in this movie and other historical movies...that seem church like , i think they are Latin and tend to be lead by a choir in movies like Elizabeth I and kingdom of heaven , what type of genre of music is that? i think its fascinating and would love to hear more of it.

That is called Soundtrack...
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2007 at 15:38
Originally posted by Melisende

I have yet to watch KoH - despite owning the DVD.

You should try the Special Extended Editon - Director's Cut. It's far more historically acurate. It features the character of Baldwin V the son of princess Sibylla by her first husband William of Montferrat. The boy was crowned co-king in 1182 and succeeded Baldwin IV after his death. In the movie he is discovered to have leprosy, like his uncle and was poisoned by his mother.
Melisende View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Melisende Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2007 at 21:57
Oh goody - something else to look forward to!

Funny - a contigency plan was already thought of prior to Baldwin V succeeding (as a minor) as King of Jerusalem.  How convenient that Baldwin V should oblige everyone by dying young.

Whether or not it was poison, leprosy or just plain old illness will never be accurately ascertained.

Edited by Melisende - 04-Mar-2007 at 22:04
"For my part, I adhere to the maxim of antiquity: The throne is a glorious sepulchre."
Zheng-ru View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Zheng-ru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2007 at 00:43
Originally posted by rider

A pretty good movie by screenplay and effects I think it was, but I would rather like to hear what do you think of the historical side?I totally disliked the use of Templars as some idiotic all-for-war soldiers that can only say: "God wills it!"... it was terrible, plus making Guy de Lusignan and Reynald de Chatillion Templars... aaarghhh. I very much however liked the figure of Tiberias although history knows no such person (with that name) although there was a certain Lord of Tiberias, Raymond III...The battles were good, only again I wonder why they had the Hospitaller wonder around in every possible place. I am pretty sure that he wasn't of high status so he should have orders... and was he a Hospitaller knight (which would give more freedom) or becoming a knight soon... wierd indeed. And as there were always only a few knights, why would they have one roam around Europe?

Sorry, I got here a little late.

I have read a couple of books on the Crusades and I saw Kingdom of Heaven, I liked it very much.

So first, I have read of many instanced where the Templars (and other knights) did act irrationally, consider the Battle of Hattin, for example.

Next, I like the movie very much, excellent acting, I do not care much for details in historical accuracy (it is often impossible in movies), but this movie correctly portrayed the environment at that time, including the relationship between Muslims and Christians, and how some wanted to undermine the peace, and others wanted to maintain peace.

- Zheng-ru
"The best victory is when the opponent surrenders of its own accord before there are any actual hostilities...It is best to win without fighting."
- Sun-tzu
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2007 at 11:38
Originally posted by Zheng-ru

.......I do not care much for details in historical accuracy (it is often impossible in movies), ........
- Zheng-ru

True, but they should try at least ....

Edited by Wittmann - 05-Mar-2007 at 11:39
Zheng-ru View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Zheng-ru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2007 at 16:45
True. They did try though.
"The best victory is when the opponent surrenders of its own accord before there are any actual hostilities...It is best to win without fighting."
- Sun-tzu
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2007 at 13:57
Kingdom of Heaven? I don't yhink so.... For example: the battle of Montgisard is the battle of "Salleh", Barisan of Ibelin - Godfrey of Ibelin, and Raymond de Tripoli - Tiberias. ???? Why? I don't get it....
Zheng-ru View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Zheng-ru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2007 at 18:24
I am not sure... why not call the director?   

I have reason to believe that you have more than 0 posts.

Edited by Zheng-ru - 30-Mar-2007 at 02:04
- Sun-tzu
duchess View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote duchess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2007 at 18:30
if you get the DvD of kingdom of heaven , even a theatrical version , it should have a subtitle of sorts called the enginer's guide it gives in the entire true history of the period , and mentions some of the ' creations of Hollywood ' i recall it does state that it was in fact Balian's brother Baldwin who was the alleged former lover of Sybilla ( prior to her marriage to guy ).
i think a lot more effort has been put in the movie to make it historically accurate , they can never be 100 % but i think KoH comes close in that no other movie was made about any other time period..that was as historically accurate
for instance if we measure how historically accurate brave heart was and how historically accurate 300 was  to KoH , don't you agree KoH was More accurate?

Edited by duchess - 15-Apr-2007 at 16:42
duchess View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote duchess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2007 at 18:33
Okay well personally i loved the movie , i thought it painted a very romantic picture of that time period which was just the aim of the movie , i mean if we look at the movie..as if it was a historical fiction book which got made into a movie , I'm sure then it would have received better review , and again lets not forget..it was more accurate historically than a lot of other history movies , id say 80% historically correct?
just wondering..in regards to Baldwin dieing young...being poisoned..or being leprous like his uncle..is there any evidence for this? , even if it was just rumours circulating at the time then that would suffice , personally..i think its fine for directors to speculate stuff like that..it doesn't make it any less historically accurate..or does it?
oh in the commentary of the film Ridley Scott does say that he wanted to paint a romantic picture rather than the real hardcore truth , infact one of the main inspirations they used..were the paintings of the crusade at the louvre..about the crusades :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>