Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nationalism- 7 Absolute Truths

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Brainstorm View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Brainstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nationalism- 7 Absolute Truths
    Posted: 28-Dec-2006 at 16:59
After years accepting "our" national education and under the influence of "our" creditable patriot historians as well as "our" mass media i came to a conclusion:
There are (at least) 7 absolute Truth about "our" glorious Nation.

Truth n.1: .We are Indigenous.
Or at least ancient.Much ancient.Older than all "our" villainous neighbors for sure!!
(Of course this is a reason this lands belongs to us since God created Earth.)

Truth n.2:We are the Chosen ones.
"We" have some unique qualities as a Nation (bravery,intelligence...it depends..) As a result "we" have achieved some things others could never imagine :"we" re the first who did many things.
And don't get me as schizophrenic but sometimes i think we are "God's chosen Nation"!

Truth n.3:The lost brothers.
Many compatriots of us live enslaved.Some times they may even not know they are like "Us".It doesnt matter if they have other culture.They belong to "our Nation" .
The same (not to tell even more) applies for some people of the past.Modern corrupted History distorted reality and hidden that so many nations of the past were in fact "Our Nation".

Truth n.4:Defense.
Our Nation is in constant defense throughout history.All or almost all of the wars we engaged in ,were to defend "our" Land and Ideals.Even if we entered someone else's land this was to prevent the aggressiveness of our disgusting Enemies.
Not to say that somewhere in time we had this Land ..so historically it will belong to us till Eternity! :Wherever a glorious foot of some compatriot stepped is Ours!

Truth n.5:Few vs Many.
It's well known that "we" always confronted more ,better trained, better equipped Enemies and guess what...we crushed them.Or at least we fought heroic.
Anyway.."our Nation" always opposed bravery to numbers..courage to better arms.."our" Ideals to the barbaric strength of our savage Enemy.

Truth n.6:The Great Powers.
These ignorant degenerated nations...They always stand against us.They fight us with every way-open or at the backstage.They support our filthy enemies since God created Earth...

Truth n.7:The Traitor.
Our endless bravery in war cannot be defeated.If we are defeated this is not real-Only a traitor is responsible for this...Someone opened the gate-our brave compatriots would never turn to rout.There is a conspiracy between this...We are invincible ,so that's the only logical explanation i can find!!

I hope you are all convinced now about how unique and superb is my Nation...Smile
I could hear your opinions and examples as well as some more absolute Truths about...

Regards

Edited by Brainstorm - 28-Dec-2006 at 17:01
http://protostrator.blogspot.com
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2006 at 17:59
Interesting in which nation you recieve such kind of education?

In terms for Latvians...
We are Indigenous
Latvians as a nation formed only in 16th century, Estonians are certainly more "ancient" than us since Baltic tribes gradually pushed Finno-Ugrians out of modern Latvia territory till some 9th century AD.
We are the Chosen ones.
Well the only unique qualities I know for Latvians are that we fight amongst ourselves and we are also very jealous. I guess that's the fate for small nations.
The lost brothers.
This feeling is completly unknown for Latvians.
Defense.
Apart from some raiding activities in pagan times, we have always been defenders.
Few vs Many.
Well technically were Latvians are "few" so I assume that we always fought against many. I don't think that bravery can be applied as a feature to whole nation.
The Great Powers.
Great powers like my land so they invade.
The Traitor.
Well there haven't been any "traitor" for us.
Baron
Baron

Quote Brainstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2006 at 18:15
Originally posted by axeman

Interesting in which nation you recieve such kind of education?

"We" ...which else?Smile
I guess this fits for many "we".

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2006 at 20:18
Top post Brainstorm. I think you missed the point a bit though axeman.

Nationalism truely is evil, Patriotism doubly so

Edited by Omar al Hashim - 28-Dec-2006 at 20:18
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2006 at 05:18
Clap Bravo! Very sharply noticed, and very very funny! LOL

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2006 at 06:30
Ups sorry

Edited by Ikki - 29-Dec-2006 at 07:07
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2006 at 06:30
Originally posted by Brainstorm

After years accepting "our" national education and under the influence of "our" creditable patriot historians as well as "our" mass media i came to a conclusion:
There are (at least) 7 absolute Truth about "our" glorious Nation.

ClapClapClapClapClap Perfect my friend

Edited by Ikki - 29-Dec-2006 at 06:30
Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2006 at 06:47
Great post... My country can SO relate to at least 5 of those "truths"... LOL

Although, Omar, I realy don't think one can regard nationalism as simply "evil"... There is a lot more to it.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2006 at 08:14
Patriottism is good. Loving your homeland is but natural. OTH, being chavanistic about the whole deal is what starts the whole mess we call modern life.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2006 at 11:08
According to a recent edition of the cartoon Southpark, patriotism and liberal protesting are ways many governments work. The government carries out its agenda and the people speak their minds. Everybody gets to have a say.

On a more serious note, I can't think of any country whose public schools do not teach patriotic propaganda. That is the way to usurp little minds and shape them to stick up for the greater cause. Once those little minds turn into rebellious adolescents, they form a unigue impression of the world on their own. Often contrary to what grade schools or mommy and daddy have taught them.

So far so good. The problem I see is when the 'authorities' and media politicize an agenda that is not necessarily true. We villify the 'other'. We one-up ourselves to topmost elevated status. If successful, we then have become deluded into thinking that such propaganda is really valid. Eventually we look to rationalize and further incorporate such discriminating beliefs.

Though each country may have slight variations in presenting their 'truths', they tend to reach the same outcome 'Mass brainwashing". Its a simple and protectionist method that fits the agenda of those in power.

Edited by Seko - 29-Dec-2006 at 11:09
Baron
Baron

Quote Brainstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2006 at 12:08
Originally posted by Sparten

Patriottism is good. Loving your homeland is but natural. OTH, being chavanistic about the whole deal is what starts the whole mess we call modern life.

And how "patriotism" is defined?
99% of nationalists would claim that they are nothing else than patriots.In the same time they have strong belief in such "truths"-they could be "patriotic truths".
So where ends patriotism and begins nationalism?
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2006 at 12:33
This is a very good post, winner of my post of the month, hehe.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2006 at 13:37
Originally posted by Brainstorm

Originally posted by Sparten

And how "patriotism" is defined?
99% of nationalists would claim that they are nothing else than patriots.In the same time they have strong belief in such "truths"-they could be "patriotic truths".
So where ends patriotism and begins nationalism?
Do you love your country, its culture, its past, its people, its landscape. Do you have hopes for its future? That makes you a patriot. If however, this translates into a feeling of loathing or superiority over others, then that it chavanism.

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2006 at 17:49
Originally posted by Frederick

Although, Omar, I realy don't think one can regard nationalism as simply "evil"... There is a lot more to it.

True.
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2006 at 19:15
Great thread, brainstorm. I have always maintained that nationalism is one of the most destructive forces in human history. The only other force that I think can rival its destructiveness to humankind is religion. Of course, one can argue that nationalism can be seen as a form of religion - the worship of one's nation as some kind of "civil religion."

And to Sparten, I love my country, its people, its history, and its landscape as much as I love other countries' people, their history, and their landscape as long as they deserve my love. What is the point of loving one's country if its people are corrupt and ignorant, if its history is brutal, and if its landscape is nothing but wasteland and poverty?   
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2006 at 19:22
Brainstorm, I just loved this, nice postClap...

" Amazing work of a highly-appreciated scholar"
Mustafa Sandal,  Istanbul ChronicleWink
We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2006 at 21:56
"Truth n.5:Few vs Many.
It's well known that "we" always confronted more ,better trained, better equipped Enemies and guess what...we crushed them.Or at least we fought heroic."

This is true on one occassion for many nations, including French Canada, Scotland, and Ireland. On another note, this thread does expose the evils of nationalism. Schools do put out a lot of historicla propaganda (here in the States, we get a lot of inaccuracies about our wars against the British). Nationalism, in its simplest form is harmless. However, just as many things, it can be used by the ignorant to advance their own agendas.

Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2006 at 22:39
I see nothing wrong with nationalism. What is wrong with loving your country and wanting to see it succeed and improve itself? Absolutely nothing!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2006 at 23:19
Originally posted by Adalwolf

I see nothing wrong with nationalism. What is wrong with loving your country and wanting to see it succeed and improve itself? Absolutely nothing!

I agree!

Although I preffer a little more mystical love to the Mother Land, the almost pagan godness in whose womb we grew up and were our death body will rest.

I have inherit that conception from the Ancient Native Americans of my country, and I believe is a lot more transcendent that just a love to the current government in power.

Penguin

Edited by pinguin - 29-Dec-2006 at 23:21
Dan Carkner View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Dan Carkner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2006 at 23:34
Very good post , although I don't know if it applies so much to colonial countries (yet)!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>