Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nationalism- 7 Absolute Truths

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nationalism- 7 Absolute Truths
    Posted: 17-Jan-2007 at 08:12
To my belief, Nationalism is like  a secular form of fundamentalism.

As Flyingzone maintains, it has been one of the most destructive forces in the ''contemporary'' history ( pre-1800s lacked the nationalist theory) which I tend to agree with
. But it should be kept in mind that nationalism also contributed to the prosperity of countries. In the Industrial and urban world, states could develop to some extend  by creating a sense of unity amongs their peoples thanks to nationalism.
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Brainstorm View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Brainstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2007 at 07:21
The difference lies in "excusing"/justifying" or objectively "explain" a defeat.
http://protostrator.blogspot.com
nikodemos View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote nikodemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2007 at 05:20
Originally posted by Patrinos

Originally posted by nikodemos

seldom do you hear anyone putting the blame for the failure primarily on the lack of organisation,the political instability,the bad strategy and tactics etc.

With this rationale Brainstorm could say that we are trying to find excuses to justify our defeat with stereotypical hellenic demerits(which according to Brainstorm were created after the creation of a superiority image).

the bad strategy and tactics,the political instability,the corruption are not  stereotypical traits of a people.
For example at the time when the Asia Minor front collapsed,Greece suffered from division and political instability,the government followed wrong strategy and the commanders of the army did tactical mistakes at crucial battles

Behind every defeat there are reasons.It is better for a nation to search and find the real reasons than to attribute every defeat and every great disaster to the role of the Great Powers.
this is what i wanted to say and i agree here with Brainstorm.The nationalists put the blame  on the Great Powers conspiracies and not on ourselves.

Edited by nikodemos - 04-Jan-2007 at 05:21
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2007 at 20:23

While you can hear many people blaming the Great Powers for the role they played in Greek history,seldom do you hear anyone putting the blame for the failure primarily on the lack of organisation,the political instability,the bad strategy and tactics etc.When there is a catastrophe the role of the "others",especially the Great Powers is stressed too much by the nationalists.On the other hand when there is an intervention in favour of the Greek interests it is easily forgotten- for example the intervention of the Great Powers after the Greco-turkish war in 1897 which was salvation for the newly established Greek kingdom or the intervention in the war of Indipendence which has been already mentioned.

As Brainstorm said "Great Powers" don't act sentimentally
but they act for their own interests.
I'll agree with you about 1897 but when you refer to this you should also refer to the role of these "Great Powers" in Northern Epirus issue.It was liberated two times by the Greek army,Himariotes declared autonomy etc but "Great Power's" interests directed them to give this area to Albania.

seldom do you hear anyone putting the blame for the failure primarily on the lack of organisation,the political instability,the bad strategy and tactics etc.

With this rationale Brainstorm could say that we are trying to find excuses to justify our defeat with stereotypical hellenic demerits(which according to Brainstorm were created after the creation of a superiority image).

Edited by Patrinos - 03-Jan-2007 at 20:24
"Hellenes are crazy but they have a wise God"
Kolokotronis
nikodemos View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote nikodemos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2007 at 17:29
Originally posted by Brainstorm

Great Powers stood neutral (if not hostile) to Greek Independence when it bursted.For many reasons(this is not the place to mention) they engaged in Navarino naval battle and destroyed Turkish-Egyptian fleet in 1827.
Greek Revolution stays alive and Greece becomes independent in 1830.
Why?
Was this because they hated Turks and wanted to help poor Greeks?
After 10 years ,in 1840 they stop Egypt of destroying Ottoman Power and save Ottoman Empire.
Why?
...It's simple...it's quiet naive to believe that Countries act because of emotion in International politics..nobody hates "us".In fact nobody takes that much care about "us"-"We"* are not the center of the world!

While you can hear many people blaming the Great Powers for the role they played in Greek history,seldom do you hear anyone putting the blame for the failure primarily on the lack of organisation,the political instability,the bad strategy and tactics etc.
When there is a catastrophe the role of the "others",especially the Great Powers is stressed too much by the nationalists.On the other hand when there is  an intervention in favour of the Greek interests it is easily forgotten- for example the intervention of the Great Powers after the Greco-turkish war in 1897 which was salvation for the newly established Greek kingdom or the intervention in the war of Indipendence which has been already mentioned.
Brainstorm View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Brainstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2007 at 19:08
First of all i must clear up something.I didn't open the thread to generally "blame" nationalism.
It was something more specific.Dealing with people -in life and here- i found out (and it was quiet a surprise) that some specific patterns,mottos,beliefs are almost identical between people of different cultures and nations who maybe "love their nation too much".

Some people claimed that they love their country and not their government so they are not nationalists.I think this is a wrong definition-Most of the times nationalists blame their gov. for not being dedicated to the nation so much.

Of course it's not bad to love your country and its people-not at all.As it's not bad to love your village or your neighborhood.But it would sound insane to create myths for your neighborhood and to believe in them and so to base your love on them and not on the good memories of the place and the people there!

Something else: The thread was general and didn't refer to any particular state.When i was asked i answered "we-our Nation".
This of course doesn't exclude my homeland -Greece.

I intend to go 1-1 for all these myths comparing different nations similar myths in an upcoming post.

@File Patrine
Originally posted by Patrinos

Brainstorm I suppose I wil be considered a nationalist now because I don't agree totaly with your "truths".

If you don't agree with these truths i can't see why i should call u nationalistSmile

To say that I'm just a patriot doesn't say anything because as you said and the 99% of the nationalists believe that they are patriots...so...think whatever you want

Yes,but this doesn't mean the opposite too - i never said that 99% of patriots are nationalists.
Also i m not used to put on labels on people.After all most of people who believe in these myths are not skinheads or fundamentalists.
The bad/sad thing is that such ideas could rise fanaticism in tense periods and the even worst that they could direct creative powers of a nation to a wrong way.

I won't go 1 on 1 commenting because as  i already mentioned my post was general-I ll answer only in some points.

Truth n.2:We are the Chosen ones."We" have some unique qualities as a Nation (bravery,intelligence...it depends..) As a result "we" have achieved some things others could never imagine :"we" re the first who did many things.And don't get me as schizophrenic but sometimes i think we are "God's chosen Nation"!

I also believe that we have unique demerits such as lack of organization,tension to civil wars and conflicts between us etc etc.As I recognise important merits of other nations(e.g the organization of Germans,the diligence of Japanese etc) I recognise our merits too.I don't think that you've ever heard any serious Greek to claim racial superiority,in the other hand nobody can dispute the importance of the Greek culture.

Even these "unique demerits" reinforce the icon of "our uniqueness".
U see..:lack of organization -if we were organized we deserve to be..
civil wars:if we didnt fight each other we would ...win.
etc etc
It's a matter of organization of a specific society and not a "national matter"
Most of Greeks -and most of other people-don't claim directly racial superiority because this would sound quiet racist.
On the other hand feeling "unique" automatically places u on another level-"We are intelligent and charismatic but lack of organization,conflicts or whatever is to blamed for we re not what we should be."
After all when u create an image of superiority u must create the reasons of loss or failure.
On the other hand i m not sure if any of these people boasting of Greek culture have anything to do with culture.

Truth n.3:The lost brothers..

Brainstorm you are confusing what the majority of Greeks think with what some(few) nationalists do.You can give some examples in which lost or past "compatriots" do you reffer,you should also add where you've heard/read this because if you are looking in schoolbooks("official history") or in serious and wellknown Greek historians I don't think you will find anything...

I ll write it once more-I wasnt particularly refering in Greece.I m very happy about the progress is made -and still being made in greek education.
Nationalist opposed and still opposing every such new attempt.
As for "indigenous" and "lost brothers" these "truths" may not be so widespread in Greece but they live in a significant proportion of extreme nationalists and sometimes influence many other people who never read much about history.

Truth n.5:Few vs Many.

Brainstorm I don't know when exactly we were arithmetically superior...

Well..it's quiet useless to go 1 o n 1.Just to mention that in almost all Byzantine manuals it was written that a general should avoid battle at all until he ll have superiority in numbers.
To go to the recent history in Greco-Turkish war 1919-23 Greek  forces were superior.
Anyway...it's a common equation to most of "national histories" (there is a thread "your nations' thermopylae"Smile.It goes smth like:
We r few but confront/win=we are braver,stronger=we r superior (even in ideals)/we have the right by our site (and sometimes God tooSmile)

Truth n.6:The Great Powers.

Again you are getting categorical.I will start from the times of the Independence War and not earlier.I think that the name Metternich should say a lot to you...In the other hand after six years of war the Three Powers(Britain,France,Russia) helped us with the ship-battle in Navarino.
Except from the many Greek mistakes in Minor Asia campaign I suppose you've read about the role of the Great Powers of the time,when the British,American etc ships left the Smyrniotes helpless and left them slaughtered by tsetes(turkish irregulars) or drown in the Gulf of Smyrna in their try to reach the ships...Why we should forget the role of the Great Powers after the end of WW2...five years we were killing each other without knowing that Stalin hadn't included Greece in his sphere of influence,so any Communist "success" in the civil war was futile...Don't you remember Clinton appologising some years ago,about the American participation/help in the Dictatorship of the Colonels??

Why do u -or any other- think that "Great Powers" give a sh*t (positively or negatively) about a particular state?
International politics are not a matter of emotion!
It's just a matter of these countries interests.-They act moved by their countries (which includes economical lobies ) interests and they try to direct the situation to a more profitable way for them.

Great Powers stood neutral (if not hostile) to Greek Independence when it bursted.For many reasons(this is not the place to mention) they engaged in Navarino naval battle and destroyed Turkish-Egyptian fleet in 1827.
Greek Revolution stays alive and Greece becomes independent in 1830.
Why?
Was this because they hated Turks and wanted to help poor Greeks?
After 10 years ,in 1840 they stop Egypt of destroying Ottoman Power and save Ottoman Empire.
Why?
...It's simple...it's quiet naive to believe that Countries act because of emotion in International politics..nobody hates "us".In fact nobody takes that much care about "us"-"We"* are not the center of the world!

*again a general mention-goes to any "we".

That's all for now.

Edited by Brainstorm - 02-Jan-2007 at 19:22
http://protostrator.blogspot.com
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2007 at 15:48
If anything I've learned that I'm a Germanic nationalist. LOL

Seriously though, I don't see any problems with nationalism. It gives you an identity and that is something human beings as social creatures are always searching for. Nationalism is not bad, some nationalists are bad. Would you call Winston Churchill bad, because he was just as much a nationalist as Hitler and Stalin.

I do separate patriotism and nationalism though. To me Patriotism is a love of your countries ideals, whereas nationalism is a love of your nation, which doesn't necessarily have to be a love of the politics of your nation.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Patrinos View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Patrinos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2007 at 12:23
Brainstorm I suppose I wil be considered a nationalist now because I don't agree totaly with your "truths".To say that I'm just a patriot doesn't say anything because as you said and the 99% of the nationalists believe that they are patriots...so...think whatever you want

Truth n.1: .We are Indigenous.Or at least ancient.Much ancient.Older than all "our" villainous neighbors for sure!!(Of course this is a reason this lands belongs to us since God created Earth.)

Brainstorm you spoke about the "national education".I've never read anything about autochthonity in schoolbooks or any serious Greek historian.I always read about the Indoeuropean speakers who came from the north etc etc.As for how "ancient" we are,the language we speak gives many clues...

Truth n.2:We are the Chosen ones."We" have some unique qualities as a Nation (bravery,intelligence...it depends..) As a result "we" have achieved some things others could never imagine :"we" re the first who did many things.And don't get me as schizophrenic but sometimes i think we are "God's chosen Nation"!

I also believe that we have unique demerits such as lack of organization,tension to civil wars and conflicts between us etc etc.As I recognise important merits of other nations(e.g the organization of Germans,the diligence of Japanese etc) I recognise our merits too.I don't think that you've ever heard any serious Greek to claim racial superiority,in the other hand nobody can dispute the importance of the Greek culture.
As for "God's chosen Nation"...do you really think that any Greek believes this?I thought only Israelites had this opinion...

Truth n.3:The lost brothers.Many compatriots of us live enslaved.Some times they may even not know they are like "Us".It doesnt matter if they have other culture.They belong to "our Nation" .The same (not to tell even more) applies for some people of the past.Modern corrupted History distorted reality and hidden that so many nations of the past were in fact "Our Nation".

Brainstorm you are confusing what the majority of Greeks think with what some(few) nationalists do.You can give some examples in which lost or past "compatriots" do you reffer,you should also add where you've heard/read this because if you are looking in schoolbooks("official history") or in serious and wellknown Greek historians I don't think you will find anything...

Truth n.4:Defense.Our Nation is in constant defense throughout history.All or almost all of the wars we engaged in ,were to defend "our" Land and Ideals.Even if we entered someone else's land this was to prevent the aggressiveness of our disgusting Enemies.Not to say that somewhere in time we had this Land ..so historically it will belong to us till Eternity! :Wherever a glorious foot of some compatriot stepped is Ours!

As you all know Greece lies in a very special position in the world map.Any Asian invader should pass over Greece to continue his "course" to Europe and many from the north wanted through centuries a free way to the Aegean.Of course I admit the imperialistic character of Alexander's conquest and more recently in the Minor Asia campaign(1920-22).The latter started as a campaign to free Greeks and after a point indeed became an imperialistic war when the new heads of the state decided to reach and conquer Ankara!!

Truth n.5:Few vs Many.
It's well known that "we" always confronted more ,better trained, better
equipped Enemies and guess what...we crushed them.Or at least we fought heroic.
Anyway.."our Nation" always opposed bravery to numbers..courage to
better arms.."our" Ideals to the barbaric strength of our savage Enemy.

I'll let Makrygiannis to answer to your opinion:
" Εκεί-οπού 'φκειανα τις θέσες εις τους Μύλους ήρθε ο Ντερνύς να με ιδή. Μου λέγει " Τι κάνεις αυτού; Αυτές οι θέσες είναι αδύνατες τι πόλεμον θα κάμετε με τον" " Μπραϊμη αυτού; -Του λέγω, είναι αδύνατες οι θέσες κ' εμείς, όμως είναι " δυνατός ο Θεός οπού μας προστατεύει και θα δείξωμεν την τύχη μας 'σ αυτές τις θέσες τις αδύνατες. Κι' αν είμαστε ολίγοι εις το πλήθος του Μπραϊμη, παρηγοριώμαστε μ' έναν τρόπον, ότι η τύχη μας έχει τους 'Ελληνες πάντοτε ολίγους. 'Οτι αρχή και τέλος, παλαιόθεν και ως τώρα, όλα τα θερία πολεμούν να μας φάνε και δεν μπορούνε τρώνε από 'μάς και μένει και μαγιά Και οι ολίγοι αποφασίζουν να πεθάνουν κι' όταν κάνουν αυτείνη την απόφασιν, λίγες φορές χάνουν και πολλές κερδαίνουν. Η θέση οπού είμαστε σήμερα εδώ είναι τοιούτη και θα ιδούμεν την τύχη μας οι αδύνατοι με τους " δυνατούς. -"Τρε-μπιεν"

And a translation:
"When I fixed our positions in Mylous Derigny came(a French officer) to see me.He says to me:"What are you doing here?These positions are weak,what war are you gonna make against Ibrahim here?-I say to him,the positions are weak as we are,but the God is strong that protect us and we will show our luck in these positions.And if we are few in numbers in contrast to Ibrahim,we console orselves in one way,that fate made us Greeks always small in number.That from the beginning until today,all the "wild beasts" fight to "eat" us and they can't,they "eat" but the ferment survives.And again few decide to die,and when they make this decision few times lose and many times win.This is our position,and we gonna see our luck,the weak against the stong.and the French replies..-Tre bien...and he leaves."

Brainstorm I don't know when exactly we were arithmetically superior...

Truth n.6:The Great Powers.These ignorant degenerated nations...They always stand against us.They fight us with every way-open or at the backstage.They support our filthy enemies since God created Earth...

Again you are getting categorical.I will start from the times of the Independence War and not earlier.I think that the name Metternich should say a lot to you...In the other hand after six years of war the Three Powers(Britain,France,Russia) helped us with the ship-battle in Navarino.
Except from the many Greek mistakes in Minor Asia campaign I suppose you've read about the role of the Great Powers of the time,when the British,American etc ships left the Smyrniotes helpless and left them slaughtered by tsetes(turkish irregulars) or drown in the Gulf of Smyrna in their try to reach the ships...Why we should forget the role of the Great Powers after the end of WW2...five years we were killing each other without knowing that Stalin hadn't included Greece in his sphere of influence,so any Communist "success" in the civil war was futile...Don't you remember Clinton appologising some years ago,about the American participation/help in the Dictatorship of the Colonels??

Truth n.7:The Traitor.Our endless bravery in war cannot be defeated.If we are defeated this is not real-Only a traitor is responsible for this...Someone opened the gate-our brave compatriots would never turn to rout.There is a conspiracy between this...We are invincible ,so that's the only logical explanation i can find!!I hope you are all convinced now about how unique and superb is my Nation... I could hear your opinions and examples as well as some more absolute Truths about...Regards

When you say about a gate I suppose you mean the Kerkoporta in Constantinoupolis..that is just a "myth" or better a tradition...as it may be Ephialtes' occasion.But I can't characterise with any other adjective except traitor those who were responsible for the two civil wars during the War of Indpendence who almost destroyed what others have achieved with fights.As traitors(and idiots) I consider Gounaris et al when even though they've promised before the elections that they will stop the war(Minor Asia campaign) and after their dominance in the elections they continued and...they lost...along with thousand Greek lifes.

Edited by Patrinos - 02-Jan-2007 at 12:25
"Hellenes are crazy but they have a wise God"
Kolokotronis
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2007 at 00:35
Originally posted by Tobodai

People should be proud of their country if they are an active part of its maintenance and are thus proud of something they help to maintain.  I myself am proud of American history, because I am already doing my part in it, and preserving history is one of my jobs.  An average couch potato who contributes nothing has no such right to be proud of anything, since all they do is suck up my tax money to buy tv dinners.  The histories and accomplishments of a country can be great things, but what did Joe Shmoe have to do with making those things happen or preserving them in the concious memory?

Well, the average Joe Shmoe works hard, pays taxes, and allows the nation to function. Almsot everyone in the country contributes in some way to the nation: by working, spending, paying taxes, etc. So, while Joe Shmoe's contribution may be small, all the Joe Shmoe's contributions are quite large. 

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2007 at 22:46
I lived under the military dictatorship of Pinochet during my teens and early youth, before I left the country for a while. That made me understand one can love our own people and our own land with passion without sharing the ideas or goals of a ilegitimate government.

Living in Canada I also learn to love that foster country, without necesarily sharing all theirs ideas. Yes, one can and should love its land, respecting and admiring the culture of others at the same time.

Governments come and go, the land and the people is what remains, and all that matters.

As Aymaraes say: the Pachamama is our mother. and I could give my life to see the Andes once again.

Penguin

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2007 at 22:26
People should be proud of their country if they are an active part of its maintenance and are thus proud of something they help to maintain.  I myself am proud of American history, because I am already doing my part in it, and preserving history is one of my jobs.  An average couch potato who contributes nothing has no such right to be proud of anything, since all they do is suck up my tax money to buy tv dinners.  The histories and accomplishments of a country can be great things, but what did Joe Shmoe have to do with making those things happen or preserving them in the concious memory?

As for civic religion being useful in combatting spiritual ones, first of all, look at secular nations vs theocracies and compare the success rates, (in the modern world Turkey compared to its Arab neighbors is a good example) or consider that even a false ideology that encourages you to be a good citizen for the good of the state at least is contributing something positive to the real world we all live in, wheras an ideology that demands meaningless sacrifice with payment withheld till after death really doesnt benefit nations or communities.  If anything hope and contentment can a lethargic and uncreative society make.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2007 at 22:16
Originally posted by Tobodai

I will break with normalcy and actually agree with the majority of AE for once.  Nationalism is the system whereby civic ideology is watered down and absorbed by those with nothing to be proud of as individuals, therefore they must be proud of the nation that they had to do nothing but be born into since they have no other redeeming factors.

But such empty and hollow people will always exist, and there are a few things worse than nationalism, so on occasion usuing a civic religion to say, combat a spiritual one is justified.  Think of it as the lesser of two evils.

However a truly virtuous society needs no such systems, as a virtous society would produce far less people in need of large group validation.

So people are hollow and empty because they are proud of their country? That is complete bull. People are proud of the countries, partly because they are from there, but mainly because of the history of their country, and the accomplishments of their country.

And as to a 'civic religion' combating a spirtitual one: WTF?
What is your problem with religion? It gives peope hope and contentment, among other things.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2007 at 22:06
I will break with normalcy and actually agree with the majority of AE for once.  Nationalism is the system whereby civic ideology is watered down and absorbed by those with nothing to be proud of as individuals, therefore they must be proud of the nation that they had to do nothing but be born into since they have no other redeeming factors.

But such empty and hollow people will always exist, and there are a few things worse than nationalism, so on occasion usuing a civic religion to say, combat a spiritual one is justified.  Think of it as the lesser of two evils.

However a truly virtuous society needs no such systems, as a virtous society would produce far less people in need of large group validation.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Dream208 View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Dream208 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2007 at 21:22
I love China (mainland, Taiwan, HK)

I want to share Chinese culture to the world
I feel happy when seeing people appreciate my country.

However, it does not mean I want to see China crush others (say Japan for example) for absolutely no reason.

I believe every civilization have its wonderful sides. It is just that Chinese achivement and improvement would bring more joy in my heart relatively, whereas Chinese failure or wrongdoing would bring me more sorrow or shame.

But I won't hate others or look down others just because I am pround to be Chinese.

I think these kinds of feeling are what seperate patriotism from extreme nationalism.

Edited by Dream208 - 01-Jan-2007 at 21:26
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2007 at 17:52
And the truth shall set us free!!!

Join us.
Semis of Arierep View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Semis of Arierep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2006 at 08:29
In Portugal this days patriotism is no more.
But according to our history the portuguese people is:

-Patriot;
-Inventive;
-Beautiful;
-Brave;
-Hate spanish;
-Defeat the spanish several times;
-Loyal;
These are some characteristics that sadly are only a memory of another time.
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2006 at 05:07
Indeed, i don't think i have loved any government Estonia has had since 1991, and i probably won't like any government from the First Republic (1918-1940) either if i'd do research on them. I still love my country.

There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2006 at 01:32
Originally posted by pinguin

Originally posted by Adalwolf

I agree!

Although I preffer a little more mystical love to the Mother Land, the almost pagan godness in whose womb we grew up and were our death body will rest.

I have inherit that conception from the Ancient Native Americans of my country, and I believe is a lot more transcendent that just a love to the current government in power.

Penguin

That is a good point, Penguin. Loving your country does not mean you have to love the current government.

Being patriotic does not mean blind faith in the government, you do not even have to like the current government. Instead of blind faith, people should have a love of the country as a whole, the land, the history, and the people, and a desire to see their country prosper.

Edited by Adalwolf - 30-Dec-2006 at 01:34
Dan Carkner View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Dan Carkner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2006 at 23:34
Very good post , although I don't know if it applies so much to colonial countries (yet)!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2006 at 23:19
Originally posted by Adalwolf

I see nothing wrong with nationalism. What is wrong with loving your country and wanting to see it succeed and improve itself? Absolutely nothing!

I agree!

Although I preffer a little more mystical love to the Mother Land, the almost pagan godness in whose womb we grew up and were our death body will rest.

I have inherit that conception from the Ancient Native Americans of my country, and I believe is a lot more transcendent that just a love to the current government in power.

Penguin

Edited by pinguin - 29-Dec-2006 at 23:21
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>