Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ancient erotic art

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ancient erotic art
    Posted: 31-Oct-2011 at 19:11

Erotica dates back to the Stone Age. Here is a carving of a fertility goddess
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2011 at 00:52
Originally posted by Nick1986

Erotica dates back to the Stone Age. Here is a carving of a fertility goddess

I don't see as erotic art, but as a religious one - a statuette of a Mother Goddess, or a fertility goddess is a religious object, not an erotic one. For sure it didn't carry erotic meaning for the people who consider this a representation of a goddess, not more than a icon of Virgin Mary has an erotic meaning for a say, Catholic. Now for us being disconnected from the ancient way of thinking that produced it it may seem erotic because it represents a naked woman, but this would be taking it out of the context that provided for it's creation.
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2011 at 00:58
Ancient Pompeii "The Forbidden Room"

Edited by Don Quixote - 02-Nov-2011 at 00:58
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2012 at 16:26
Originally posted by Hellios

Are we allowed posting & discussing examples of ancient (authentic) erotic art if it's not too explicit?

How do we discern ancient sacred? I ask because I think it maybe possible that many things called ancient erotic could be sacred rather than erotic, and it is a modern eye with a modern perspective on modern sexuality which could be clouding people's judgements. 
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2013 at 00:48
Yes marjorie100 , everything you posted is correct! Except maybe the dating's? Thus, I and most everyone in the Fomenko community considers this stuff belongs in the Middle Ages!

regards, Ron
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123